• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How many different supplements do you take?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: How many different supplements each day? (261 member(s) have cast votes)

How many different supplements each day?

1. 0-5 (62 votes [23.85%])

Percentage of vote: 23.85%

2. 5-10 (63 votes [24.23%])

Percentage of vote: 24.23%

3. 10-25 (78 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. 25-50 (38 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

5. 50-75 (10 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

6. 75-125 (3 votes [1.15%])

Percentage of vote: 1.15%

7. 125+ (6 votes [2.31%])

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:07 PM

I take between 35-40 individual pills/capsules in a 24 hour period, one wknd day off all supps, one wknd day limited supps.

#32 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

excellent brand choices.. thats like the first time i dont have anything bad to say haha

LOL!

Edited by mitkat, 07 May 2008 - 10:11 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

Here is a spreadsheet list of the supplements that Paul Wafker takes, which I think blows most people out of the water at well over 200 different components. link is HERE

I have two supplement stashes. One at home and one at work. The one at home looks something like this (although it's a little depleted right now):

Posted Image

#34 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

[quote name='hamishm00' date='9-Sep 2008, 08:44 AM' post='262277']
Here is a spreadsheet list of the supplements that Paul Wafker takes, which I think blows most people out of the water at well over 200 different components. link is HERE

The bucket-of-pills-per day approach must be working well for Paul because he sure can boogie down with the best of them!

Here he is on YouTube gettin' down...

:) :p ;)

Edited by pycnogenol, 09 September 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#35 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:43 AM

I have two supplement stashes. One at home and one at work. The one at home looks something like this (although it's a little depleted right now):

Posted Image

A lot of holland and barrett there, I use them myself. 1fast100 also good for bulk powder

Are you not worried about people seeing it though. I only have two supps at work right now so as to avoid being seen as the pill junkie of the office, though I might look into a compact pill organiser to fill up each day...

Edited by Centurion, 10 September 2008 - 09:45 AM.

#36 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

Vitamin C time release
Vitamin B6
Vitamin B12
5-HTP
Arginine
Tyrosine
PhD Whey Protein (Your usual boring isolate / concentrate blend)
Everyday boring multivitamin (holland and barrett)
DHA / EPA fish oil concentrate capsules
Ginkgo
Korean Ginseng
NADH
Creatine monohydrate powder
GABA powder
Glucosamine + Chondoitron
Chelated zinc

Can't remember dosages offhand, will update when I'm at home (in a separate regimen thread)
Most are just bought from Holland & Barrett, there's a branch down the street

#37 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

Posted Image

A lot of holland and barrett there, I use them myself. 1fast100 also good for bulk powder

Are you not worried about people seeing it though. I only have two supps at work right now so as to avoid being seen as the pill junkie of the office, though I might look into a compact pill organiser to fill up each day...

I've been lazy recently because Holland Barrett have been having sales, so I keep going back there to see if there is anything else on sale - there usually is. Interesting, the stuff on sale is usually the stuff I want (because I think it's the stuff noone else wants!).

I know what you mean about the supplement stash at work, and we don't want to incur the wrath and judgement of ignorant people do we, because it's something you just can't (or want to) fix. So I am also careful, and keep the minimimum (mostly nootropics) at work. I never used to worry about this in any city I worked in in the southern hemisphere.

#38 quintin3265

• Guest, F@H
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

Wow. I had no idea that some people take hundreds of supplements. I used to take about 10 and thought that was a lot. After I nearly died from a severe reaction, I now take just a multivitamin and fish oil, as well as three medications - Clarninex, Depakote, and Lamictal. And three of those are to combat the problems induced the the original supplements I took.

The issue I see with taking so many supplements is not only the danger of side effects, but also that with so many independent variables it would be difficult to determine which supplements are actually of any benefit. Since you'd probably have to wait several weeks to see if any individual supplement makes any difference, it would take a decade if you added and removed supplements one at a time to determine which are having an effect. Perhaps those who take hundreds of supplements could answer this question - do you take the supplements solely on scientific evidence with the hope that taking them will eventually pay off, or are you aiming for short-term results like improving cognition or energy levels?

#39 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:05 AM

The issue I see with taking so many supplements is not only the danger of side effects, but also that with so many independent variables it would be difficult to determine which supplements are actually of any benefit. Since you'd probably have to wait several weeks to see if any individual supplement makes any difference, it would take a decade if you added and removed supplements one at a time to determine which are having an effect. Perhaps those who take hundreds of supplements could answer this question - do you take the supplements solely on scientific evidence with the hope that taking them will eventually pay off, or are you aiming for short-term results like improving cognition or energy levels?

I was wondering the same thing, how the heck can you tell what does what?

#40 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

The issue I see with taking so many supplements is not only the danger of side effects, but also that with so many independent variables it would be difficult to determine which supplements are actually of any benefit.

this same question can be asked of anyone who takes a multi. many of the multi's people take have 30, 40 or more ingredients. how the heck can you make a determination which of those ingredietns is helping you and which is harming you? could be 80% is helping and 20% is harming. you would never know. there is simply no way to tell. there is no difference between taking 40 different pills and taking a multi with 40 ingredients, end result is the same.

that is why i dont take a multi. every supplement i take is a single ingredient (except in cases of amino acids), so i can determine if that specific substanc is helpful or not. this is the scientific way to do it. you cant do that with a multi.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#41 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:49 PM

The issue I see with taking so many supplements is not only the danger of side effects, but also that with so many independent variables it would be difficult to determine which supplements are actually of any benefit.

this same question can be asked of anyone who takes a multi. many of the multi's people take have 30, 40 or more ingredients. how the heck can you make a determination which of those ingredietns is helping you and which is harming you? could be 80% is helping and 20% is harming. you would never know. there is simply no way to tell. there is no difference between taking 40 different pills and taking a multi with 40 ingredients, end result is the same.

that is why i dont take a multi. every supplement i take is a single ingredient (except in cases of amino acids), so i can determine if that specific substanc is helpful or not. this is the scientific way to do it. you cant do that with a multi.

Same reason I don't take a multi. I have a question though, what individual vitamins do you take?

#42 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:05 PM

Same reason I don't take a multi. I have a question though, what individual vitamins do you take?

my vitamin regimin is very personalized, so i think its great for me but may not work for others.

i try to use whole food items wherever possible, so instead of a multi mineral i take kelp powder, instead of vitamin C i take acerola cherry powder, instead of b vitamins i take active bakers yeast.

i also take TMG, grapeseed extract and/or pine bark, methyl B12, multi amino plus ornithine/arginine, selenium, occasionally GABA to help sleep.

also barley grass powder, spinach powder, spirulina, liquid chlorphyl - all of which i mix together in juice. usually fresh made celery/carrot/cucumber juice.

the list of supplements i have taken and ultimately decided to stop is LONG. really long. now i concentrate more and more on food based supplements and less on fractionated stand alone substances. my research has lead me to believe that the literally thousands of co-factors that exist together in food complexes is critical for proper digestion and assimilation of nutrients.

how bout you, what do you take?

EDIT: forgot to add Vitamin D which i take during the winter months when i cant get out into the sun

Edited by Phoebus, 11 September 2008 - 10:17 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#43 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

my vitamin regimin is very personalized, so i think its great for me but may not work for others.

i try to use whole food items wherever possible, so instead of a multi mineral i take kelp powder, instead of vitamin C i take acerola cherry powder, instead of b vitamins i take active bakers yeast.

i also take TMG, grapeseed extract and/or pine bark, methyl B12, multi amino plus ornithine/arginine, selenium, occasionally GABA to help sleep.

also barley grass powder, spinach powder, spirulina, liquid chlorphyl - all of which i mix together in juice. usually fresh made celery/carrot/cucumber juice.

the list of supplements i have taken and ultimately decided to stop is LONG. really long. now i concentrate more and more on food based supplements and less on fractionated stand alone substances. my research has lead me to believe that the literally thousands of co-factors that exist together in food complexes is critical for proper digestion and assimilation of nutrients.

how bout you, what do you take?

EDIT: forgot to add Vitamin D which i take during the winter months when i cant get out into the sun

I don't really supplement anything. I just eat really health (cause I have no junk food I can eat). But I am wondering if I should. I started a topic on this here.

#44 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:47 AM

I'm in the stone age regarding supplements compared to some of you. lol I daily take...

Multivitamin
Garlic
Ginseng
DHEA
Spirulina
grapeseed extract
fish oil

John

#45 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

I'm taking these supplements on a daily basis:

• Omega-3 (2,000 mg)
• Rhodiola rosea (500 mg)
• Vitamin C (1,000 mg)
• Vitamin D (2,000 IU)

So I'm quite the minimalist when it comes to supplements. I get at least 100% of the RDA of vitamins and minerals from my diet alone, so I don't really need a multivitamin. However, I'm also practicing calorie restriction, from which I count on most of my anti-aging benefits to come. I'm considering an iron chelator (like IP-6), since my daily intake of iron is pretty high (about 200% of RDA). I do donate blood four times per year, though.

Edited by Johan, 17 September 2008 - 08:04 PM.

#46 HaloTeK

• 254 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

No need to go nuts with supplements:

1: 2000iu to 5000iu - of Vitamin D depending on season
2: 1oz to 2oz of chia seeds daily - depending on season (I believe Michael Rae and worry about pre-formed DHA invading tissue)
3: ALCar or PLCar - 500mg in morning (5x week, 1 week off every 6 weeks)
4. Iosol Iodine - 1 to 2 drops per week (1 drop contains 1220% of RDA)
5. Rotating methyl B12, carnosine, taurine, DHA (including them a couple of times per week on occasion)
6. K2 50mcg (5x week, only if you don't eat organ meats on occasion or natto)

The above seems sensible if you are relatively healthy without problems and are between the ages of 18 to ~50.
This also already assumes you are eating a cornucopia of fruits and veggies, consuming nuts (lower omega 6 varieties, and eat varied forms of meat from time to time. And also eating the fats of certain animals and fish to obtain fat soluble vitamins (once in a while fermented food too). Eating whole foods and minimizing sugar is without question (not to mention avoiding burnt food). After that point, other supplements may make sense (Or if you are >50 years old).

#47 wolfeye

• 124 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

I take MgOrotate, vitamin D3, fish oil and flax seed oil.

#48 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

skeptical about supplements: my view:
- many can deteriorate health
- none so far extends lifespan by much (except if you have a rare deficiency in sthg)

what i take (not sure you consider them as supplements except perhaps vitamin C and curcumin):
- vitamin C
- rapeseed oil
- garlic, parsley, basil, curcumin + a little of pepper
- green tee
(- tons of fruits and vegetables)

#49 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:56 AM

I'm in the stone age regarding supplements compared to some of you. lol I daily take...

Same here I only take a Vanilla multi-vitamin/mineral powder with the following:

Vitamin A (as Vitamin Palmitate): 5,000 IU
Vitamin C (as Calcium ascorbate): 300 mg
Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol): 800 IU
Vitamin E (as Vitamin E Acetate): 30 IU
Thiamin (as thiamin HCl): 25 mg
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2): 25 mg
Niacin (as Niacinamide): 25 mg
Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine HCI): 25 mg
Folic Acid: 400 mcg
Vitamin B-12 (as Cyanocobalamin): 25 mcg
Biotin: 300 mcg
Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate): 25 mg
Calcium (as calcium citrate calcium carbonate dicalcium phosphate): 500 mg
Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide): 100 mg
Zinc (as Zinc Oxide): 15 mg
Selenium (as Selenium Amino Acid Chelate): 70 mcg
Copper (as Copper Gluconate): 2 mg
Manganese (as Manganese Sulfate): 2 mg
Chromium (as chromium amino acid chelate): 120 mcg
Molybdenum (as molybdenum amino acid chelate): 75 mcg
alpha-Lipoic Acid: 25 mg
--Antioxidant Fruit and Vegetable Blend: 105 mg
saw palmetto powder
plum powder
wild blueberry powder
cherry powder
parsley leaf powder
kale leaf powder
spinach leaf powder
Wheat Grass Juice Powder
cranberry powder
strawberry powder
orange powder
raspberry powder
Brussels Sprouts Powder
asparagus powder
blackberry powder
Broccoli Powder
bilberry powder
Grape Skin Extract
Beet Juice Powder
Cauliflower Powder
apricot powder
papaya powder
Carrot Powder
cabbage powder
garlic powder
grape powder
pineapple powder
Fiber Blend (2.5 g Inulin & 2.5 g FOS): 9.75 g
Inulin
FOS (Fructooligosaccharides)
Gum Arabic
soy fiber
Cellulose Gum

Resistant Starch
essential fatty acid blend (2 g)
High Oleic Sunflower Oil
Borage Oil

Lutein: 950 mcg
Lycopene: 950 mcg
Astaxanthin: 50 mcg
Zeaxanthin: 50 mcg
L-Arginine (as DiArginine Malate): 1,000 mg
Policosanol: 10 mg
Phytosterols (as beta sitosterol campesterol and stigmasterol): 800 mg
Green Tea Extract (Decaffienated): 10 mg
Inositol: 10 mg

Calories: 90
Calories from fat: 20
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: .50 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 50 mg
Potassium: 40 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 12 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 6 g

I also drink:

Green Tea: 100 mg of antioxidant flavonoids per cup

and mix cocoa (rich in flavonoids) with my oatmeal.

I plan to add Quercetin and higher dose of Vitamin C as well as Vitamin K, I noticed recently that the multi I have does not contain K.

Edited by Dmitri, 20 October 2008 - 12:59 AM.

#50 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:33 PM

New regimen:

-Multi-vitamin/mineral
-Green Tea - 100 mg antioxidant flavonoids per cup
-Vitamin D-3 Liquid Soft gels - 1,000 IU
-Vitamin C (with rose hips) - 1,000 mg
-100% Cocoa Dark Chocolate

#51 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

I notice a number of you don't take ALCAR and a few even said they were going to drop it out of their supplement regime.

I'm just curious as to why? If it the increase in free radicals?
I thought ALCAR + ALA was one of the best anti-aging combo's out there with many many benefits?

#52 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:28 AM

In mice, lipoic acid and alcar seem to act synergistically to improve length and quality of life. These results have not been demonstrated in human beings yet. However, I love the combo, and plan to take it indefinately :) . I am also curious why we aren't seeing more r-ala on this thread!

#53 Lost Soul

• 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:23 AM

4 at the most.

The rest of you are insane.

#54 Ventipulmin

• 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

My supplement regime doesn't hold a candle to some of you guys, but I'll post it up anyways :)

- Vitamin C, 3-4gs/day
- Fish Oil Tablets, 9-12gs/day
- glutamine 10gs/day
- Calcium, 600mg
- Magnesium 300mg
- Zinc, 40mg
- Added few g's of Chlorophyll to my water
- 1 small cup of black coffee /day

Thats about it really for now. I used to take a 'brain supplement' a couple years back, but when I found out it was just caffeine, I stopped taking it and started drinking 1cup of coffee a day

#55 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

In mice, lipoic acid and alcar seem to act synergistically to improve length and quality of life. These results have not been demonstrated in human beings yet. However, I love the combo, and plan to take it indefinately :) . I am also curious why we aren't seeing more r-ala on this thread!

There are many studies that have been done on humans showing how well both acetyl-l-carnitine (ALCAR) and alpha lipoic-acid (ALA) are of a grand benefit on their own and in combination. Head on over to Pubmed or Google Scholar and check them out.

#56 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Right now I'm taking around 30-40 pills a day, but I'm planning on adding a few more ones. However, at around 50 I probably need to stop. For instance, taking too many antioxidants is pretty dangerous.

#57 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Mens multivitamin by 21st century
ALPHA LIPOIC ACID
VITAMIN D 3000 IU
Cayenne pepper extract 80,000 Scoville heat units
DMAE
Huperzine A
ALCAR
GinkoBiloba
Saint Johns wort
Taurine
Befotiamine
L-Proline
L-Lysine
L-Carnosine
Resveratrol R300
Omega A-3 Fish oil
MSM And Glucosamine
Green tea extract
L-Arginine/L-Ornithine 500/200
Biosil (Orthosilicic Acid)
Melatonin 3MG
Ester-C 500
Astral Fruit (taken in cycles)
Valerian root extract
Zinc Picolinate
Liquid Hyaluronic Acid

Edited by TheFountain, 27 April 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#58 imarobot

• 194 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:45 PM

Daily

Multi
D3 - 6,000 IU
K - 100 mcg MK7, 1000 mcg MK4, 1000 mcg K1
Resveratrol - 500 mg
R-Lipoic Acid - 400 mg
Methyl B-12 - 5,000 mcg
Fish Oil - 1,200 mg EPA, / 600 mg DHA
Ashwagandha - 225 mg
Rhodiola - 500 mg
Melatonin - 5 mg
Magnesium Citrate - 600 mg
Zinc Monomethionine - 30 mg
Nettle Root - 250 mg
Low dose Naltrexone - 3.5 mg

Occassionally

Theanine - 450 mg
Glycine - 1 g
Digestive enzymes
Probiotics
Licorice Root - 450 mg

Will probably add

Niacin
C
ALCAR

Might add

Quercetin
E complex

Edited by imarobot, 27 April 2009 - 10:59 PM.

#59 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

100% ON Whey - 25g pre and post workout
BCAA - 5g pre and post workout
Creatine Monohydrate - 2.5g post workout
Cytocarb II (maltodextrin) - 50g post work out

Vitamin C - 1000 mg
Fish oil - 2 x 1g
Ortho Core - 3
RevGenetics Nitro 250mg Resveratrol - 1

Adaptaphase II - 2
Ortho Mind - 2

green tea - 3 cups

I probably never do all of this every day.

thinking about:
B Complex
Probiotic

Edited by advancdaltruist, 28 April 2009 - 10:36 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

100% ON Whey - 25g pre and post workout
BCAA - 5g pre and post workout
Creatine Monohydrate - 2.5g post workout
Cytocarb II (maltodextrin) - 50g post work out

Vitamin C - 1000 mg
Fish oil - 2 x 1g
Ortho Core - 3
RevGenetics Nitro 250mg Resveratrol - 1

Adaptaphase II - 2
Ortho Mind - 2

green tea - 3 cups

I probably never do all of this every day.

thinking about:
B Complex
Probiotic

I'm adding:

L-Citrulline Malate
L-Arginine/L-Ornithine
Now Foods Pure-Gar Garlic Extract
MindCare Mentat

RevGenetics Nitro 250mg Resveratrol

Of course, RevGenetics goes out of stock right when I run out... typical... :-D

Edited by advancdaltruist, 01 May 2009 - 10:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users