- - - - -

L-theanine and nicotine

nicotine l-theanine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 necrobytez

• 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

I've read that l-theanine reduces nicotine reward feeling. I use swedish snus as a nootropic and i find it as a miracle drug and ever since i took l-theanine supplement i feel like i don't really get any reward from snus anymore, could be placebo but is there any way to revert it back as i enjoy(ed) snus very much.

You can google l-theanine nicotine on google if you want to find out more.

Edited by necrobytez, 17 July 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

In this study, the inhibitory effect of L-theanine, an amino acid derivative of tea, on the rewarding effects of nicotine and its underlying mechanisms of action were studied. We found that L-theanine inhibited the rewarding effects of nicotine in a conditioned place preference (CPP) model of the mouse and reduced the excitatory status induced by nicotine in SH-SY5Y cells to the same extent as the nicotine receptor inhibitor dihydro-beta-erythroidine (DHβE). Further studies using high performance liquid chromatography, western blotting and immunofluorescence staining analyses showed that L-theanine significantly inhibited nicotine-induced tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) expression and dopamine production in the midbrain of mice. L-theanine treatment also reduced the upregulation of the α(4), β(2) and α(7) nicotine acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) subunits induced by nicotine in mouse brain regions that related to the dopamine reward pathway, thus decreasing the number of cells that could react to nicotine. In addition, L-theanine treatment inhibited nicotine-induced c-Fos expression in the reward circuit related areas of the mouse brain. Knockdown of c-Fos by siRNA inhibited the excitatory status of cells but not the upregulation of TH induced by nicotine in SH-SY5Y cells. Overall, the present study showed that L-theanine reduced the nicotine-induced reward effects via inhibition of the nAChR-dopamine reward pathway. These results may offer new therapeutic strategies for treatment of tobacco addiction.

• like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 necrobytez

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Anyone?

#4 necrobytez

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

Will this l-theanine effect that it has done be reversed in time? Like it says it reduces very important receptors for working memory etc which i really need. I use swedish snus and i used to love it to death but after i used l-theanine it has kind of dissipated. Is there some way to reverse this effect or will it go away with time? I know this is silly but i had cognitive dysfunction and nicotine really helped me out.

#5 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

In this study, the inhibitory effect of L-theanine, an amino acid derivative of tea, on the rewarding effects of nicotine and its underlying mechanisms of action were studied. We found that L-theanine inhibited the rewarding effects of nicotine in a conditioned place preference (CPP) model of the mouse and reduced the excitatory status induced by nicotine in SH-SY5Y cells to the same extent as the nicotine receptor inhibitor dihydro-beta-erythroidine (DHβE). Further studies using high performance liquid chromatography, western blotting and immunofluorescence staining analyses showed that L-theanine significantly inhibited nicotine-induced tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) expression and dopamine production in the midbrain of mice. L-theanine treatment also reduced the upregulation of the α(4), β(2) and α(7) nicotine acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) subunits induced by nicotine in mouse brain regions that related to the dopamine reward pathway, thus decreasing the number of cells that could react to nicotine. In addition, L-theanine treatment inhibited nicotine-induced c-Fos expression in the reward circuit related areas of the mouse brain. Knockdown of c-Fos by siRNA inhibited the excitatory status of cells but not the upregulation of TH induced by nicotine in SH-SY5Y cells. Overall, the present study showed that L-theanine reduced the nicotine-induced reward effects via inhibition of the nAChR-dopamine reward pathway. These results may offer new therapeutic strategies for treatment of tobacco addiction.

Very interesting stuff, I believe NAC - N-AcetylCysteine is effective as well, if I recall correctly it's by reducing Glutamate levels and thus providing less of an additive tendency and more dopamine.

Wellbutrin is another nicotinic antagonist - part of the reason why it's an aphrodisiac is because it stops nicotinic induced vasoconstriction and thus improves circulation. The very same reason and enhanced N.O levels by wellbutrin plus DopamineReuptake inhibition can lead to reversal of cognitive deficits induced by nicotine and a relief of depression to go with that. Wellbutrin also may synergise with Caffeine and can be included as part of a before exam focus stack. 

Although adderall is usually used more for this purpose. 

For some reason I actually liked wellbutrin much more than Adderall. :o

• like x 1

#6 necrobytez

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

Is it likely this will go away in time and will upregulate and feel satisfaction again?

#7 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Is it likely this will go away in time and will upregulate and feel satisfaction again?

I imagine it will go away with time, but in you're in a hurry, you might look for supplements or drugs that enhance addiction. One would be THC, as in the gateway drug effect--

The findings obtained here suggest that a history of cannabis exposure might have lasting effects that increase the risk of becoming addicted to nicotine--http://www.nature.co...npp201316a.html

Note that this research comes from a governmental drug abuse research group, so it might be propaganda.

• like x 1

#8 necrobytez

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

Weed didn't work out for me :( any other suggestions? 

#9 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

Weed didn't work out for me :( any other suggestions? 

The answer might lie in post no. 5 above. If lowering glutamate decreases addiction, increasing it should do the reverse. Thus foods rich in glutamate like certain cheeses, MSG, or aspartame, should increase nicotine cravings. Also, look at how much niacin you are taking, as niacin decreases the desire for nicotine, at least for some--

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 necrobytez

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

L-theanine definetely messed up the reward feeling, so is there any supplement that could help? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotine, l-theanine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users