• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Allergic Rhinitis

allergic rhinitis allergies sinusitis allergens hayfever dust mites mucus post-nasal drip

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Habana13

• 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Hi all,

Request for advice here.

I live in the UK, and am a 27 y/o male. 5,11 & 80kg. Caucasian non-smoker. Low-carb diet, high in unsaturated fat, vegetables, fruits & protein. Daily exercise (necessary), including gym & yoga. 

Over the course of the last ten years, I have spent a lot of time on these pages as a passive reader, chasing a bunch of symptoms that have been hard to drill-down on. To cut a long story short, I have confidently established the primary cause of distress as Allergic Rhinitis resulting from persistent & vigorous environmental allergies. The allergies, in order of severity, are:

- House Dust Mite
- Tree Pollen
- Grass Pollen
- Weed Pollen
- Various moulds
- Cat/dog epithelium

According to the diagnosis of the expensive (i.e. one-off appointment) & well-regarded private allergist, these allergies are way beyond common bounds. The Dust Mite scratch test remained visible on the skin for 4 days. 

I am on a daily regimen of intra-nasal fluticasone propionate, cetirizine hydrochloride, 3x nasal irrigation (saline garlic solution), and other minor tweaks and preventative attempts. My bedding is anti-allergenic, and I have made all possible attempts to reduce soft furnishings and environmental exposures. 

Daily symptoms (despite the above) are: nausea, brain fog, headaches, poor sense of smell, confusion, anxiety, dizziness, poor memory, low-mood, chronic fatigue, reduced dream-time, and a number of similar and subtle variations to all of the above.

I have come to the conclusion that the only possible relief can be sought through relocation - in the past I have experienced virtual cessation of symptoms during holiday periods on Mediterranean Islands. Immunotherapy is not recommended across multiple allergies, and the prednisolone that is fairly effective in bring short-term improvement is not a valid long-term option.

Being presently of limited means, relocation is not an immediate option. Therefore, I need to devise some additional management stratgegies that will improve quality of life until this point. Does anybody have any advice, shared experience or otherwise which might be useful in this context?

• WellResearched x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

Habana13, your story sounds a similar to mine. I had a lot of the symptoms that you have. In my case, they were primarily due to dust mites, although I am allergic to almost everything you listed. I began immunotherapy for dust mites, and eventually, after gradually increasing the dose to a high level, my symptoms abated. It was a dramatic change, and essentially gave my my life back. I later added immunotherapy for pollens, molds, and cat dander, so I now get four shots every two weeks. I've found that I can go a long time without shots without my symptoms returning. It's really amazing how bad a sinus inflammation can make you feel. If the NHS covers immunotherapy, I'd go that route. You could start with dust mites alone, or do more of them. The size of the skin test reaction is not always proportional to the trouble the allergy is causing. In my case, the skin test response was relatively minor, but the symptoms were huge.

Along with antihistamines and inhaled steroids, you could try c60-olive oil. It has some impressive anti-allergy properties that have been evident in cases of asthma and eczema. It's not expensive. For a lot more money, you could look into infecting yourself with therapeutic helminths. There have been reports of major improvements in allergies from that.
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

I had bad seasonal allergies after my injury. Mine also disappeared when I was half way around the world in some third world jungle. Loved feeling healthy again.

Paleo style diet was incredibly helpful. Giving up grains and coffee. Treating my other injuries helped as well. Once I got my bones healed and my hormones got back in line I started exercising again. A hard work out regimen seemed to calm down my immune system. By the time I started more advanced peptide therapy they seemed to be gone.

I liked the Chinese patent medicine Bi Yan Pian and quercetin to stop flare ups.

#4 MiddleAged49

• 34 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

I live in the UK as well and have been allergic to pollen, dust, cat dander and mold from the age of about 7 to now (48). My symptoms were heavy, not as bad as yours or niner's, but I would lose a day off work occasionally with hay fever, where I would spend the entire day in bed, and most days, even in winter, would sniffle constantly and sneeze due to dust mites and bed mites.

For almost a year now I've been taking Reishi, Chaga and Guduchi/Tinospora Cordifolia, and my problems seem to be sorted. Dust is no longer a problem, I can get covered in it now, and interact with cats without any effect.

Reishi contains beta-glucans (as does Chaga) that modulate the immune system, and triterpenes that mainly act as anti-histamines. Reishi and Chaga both contain a bunch of other stuff that can help as well - Chaga is allegedly a dense source of Pantothenic Acid, which helps with nasal congestion. Guduchi (Tinospora Cordifolia) is used in Ayurveda and is an immune system modulator amongst other things, and is apparently very effective for nasal congestion and sneezing.

I take Reishi and Chaga with Vitamin C, which helps too, and also aids the breakdown of large Reishi polysaccharides/beta-glucans into more easily absorbed molecular sizes; two pills a day of each of Reishi and Chaga, and two of Guduchi. It's a lot of pills but they do the job and there may be other health benefits. On the worst pollen days I can still feel a tingle of pollen going up my nose, but it doesn't develop into anything - on those days, for safety, I may also take a dose of MSM, which blocks the receptivity of histamine in the nasal passages, and maybe some activated Quercetin if I've got any. It may take a couple of weeks for most of these to kick in, and I think the immune modulating effect of Reishi and Chaga could be a medium to long term thing to get the full effect.

I usually suffer badly at ash pollen season (March) and grass pollen season (June-ish) onwards, and live next to parkland with plenty of both, but this year for the first time I've had no allergy symptoms, even with my face buried in grass doing press ups, and I no longer carry a handkerchief around. Like you I have a clean diet an exercise a lot. Your suffering is worse than mine, but perhaps these can help reduce your symptoms at least - read up a bit first though, e.g. Reishi can have a few minor side effects and interactions with other medication.

Edited by MiddleAged49, 18 July 2014 - 08:42 AM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#5 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

If it is really that bad there wonn't be any viable alternative to hyposensibilization. It's the most logical way to go, very effective and a long term solution.

#6 Habana13

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

Thanks all - on the next good day I will look into all of those, especially the reishi and the c60....

Today is a bad day, but it is in no way unusual. There are probably four of these days per week, with the remaining three being milder variations of the same basic structure.

Every day starts off in the same way. My alarms goes off. It doesn't really matter what time. The ringing hits me like a rogue lightning bolt, and, knocked temporarily out of the dreamless darkness, I frantically seek the source of the disquiet. As soon as I've hit the Sleep button on the alarm, my head is back on the pillow, and a semi-conscious battle starts in earnest. 

My body feels disgusting, like the used husk of a nightclub after a fierce and frantic party. Every cell is sapped of energy, and there is an aggressive emptiness that can only be assuaged by further rest, by giving in to the all-powerful somnolence. The ten minute intervals of the alarm clock do battle with this insistent monster until finally there is enough conscious thought to understand the imperative of waking.

Once substantially awake and upright in bed, I take some time to contemplate my inner surroundings. Nausea is usually amongst the first to identify itself, a deep-rooted feeling of buried sickness and impending eruption, loitering in the background with the assured presence of one who knows he will always be noticed wherever he stands. Next, there is a numbness of thought that is perhaps the most terrifying assailant of all. The morning is supposed to be a time for genesis and creativity and ideas. Instead, there is a mocking fogginess which envelops the brain and prevents anything other than rudimentary anxieties or low-level observations. There is little in the way of accompanying emotion, no feelings of happiness or joy or excitement or curiousness; merely a vague and disquieted sense of apathy, and a determined readiness to survive the day ahead. 

I put my headphones on. The music injects an exogenous emotional substitute which guards against the tense inner silence, and provides energy through distraction.

With military precision, the preparation begins. Blow nose. Wash face. Rinse sinuses with saline solution. Hawk, cough, splutter and eject every possible trace of mucous and blockage and sewage. Dry wretch several times. Administer intra-nasal fluticasone propionate. Already, there is better overall feeling. The body wants food, but the nausea objects. A compromise is reached, and we settle for a fruit & yoghurt smoothie which hits the throat like a drink but hits the stomach like a meal. This is chased with a double espresso, a grim nod to productivity. 

Now we have reached an impasse. There is an overriding sense of weakness, dizziness & dislocation, but the overall level of competence is enough to perform basic tasks. I switch on my laptop, and begin to chip away at the stack of white-collar bureaucracy that is my daily grind. Every modicum of available energy is channelled into an endless chain of email exchanges and admin. It provides a release in some senses. A point of focus which is sometimes welcome, sometimes unwelcome.

By lunch-time, there is a ravenous hunger that not even the nausea can deny. The body is fuelled properly, and another double espresso wards off the digesting tiredness. A qualitative change has been enacted by this point. The mind is still vapid and shallow and largely redundant, but the body is starting to grow more confident in itself. I know that it is almost time to go to the gym, to exact my revenge on this gruesome monster and to flay him for his crimes. Squash is not an option - there is no balance or co-ordination or any of the motor-skills that deliver the required finesse. Instead, it's a quick sinus flush and I hop onto the treadmill armed with a set of headphones and the knowledge that I will soon be in control. 

The exertion forces air through respiratory tracts that had discharged themselves of duty during the night, and the full-body sweat lends a complementary air of purgatory cleansing. After 10k, thoughts are starting to circulate in my head. There are ideas and emotional responses and observations that have a depth far exceeding any of their morning-shift colleagues. The light takes on a slightly different hue, and there is a clear sense of hope and optimism, a joy in the temporary illusion of control. Some yoga-based stretching and light weights do nothing to temper this progress, and by the time I get out the shower, the body seems to have made peace with itself, and the mind has rediscovered some of its purpose. 

I bathe in this afterglow, tapping the energy to attempt some of the more complex tasks demanded by the day. A tricky call. A problem in need of creative resolution. Pre-planning for trials ahead. 

The day fizzles out. It has been tough. I have achieved less than I would have liked, less than many would have achieved with half the effort, but, it is honours even. Maybe tomorrow will be a good day.

And the alarm goes off, and the battle begins again.... 

• Well Written x 2

#7 nasty_eardrums

• 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Habana, your post is incredibly well written. I wish I could write like that on a bad day. :-) 

Description of your symptoms very closely matches my own experience.

May I ask, did you have such "bad days" prior to the development of your allergic rhinitis?

#8 Habana13

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

Sadly, I can neither read nor talk on a bad day, so there are trade-offs :)

No, the "bad days" are purely something that I have experienced in the last ten or so years. 

I am currently subsisting on a combination of:

*anti-histamines (intra-nasal & oral), generic decongestants, vitamin-C & modafinil*

The modafinil has been a bit of a god-send in terms of helping me to function better during the day, especially in the mornings when I feel like an amoeba.

And the daily trip to the gym/squash/steam room is the most effective of all; but to be fair, it's contingent upon the meds doing a good enough job to allow me to get there in the first place....

#9 ZHMike

• 227 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

Drink more water, water will allow your body to naturally flush out the histamine.  Also perhaps try azelastine nasal spray, this is a topical antihistamine that should also help.  Good luck!

#10 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:49 AM

has anyone tried Bionase for allergies? it's definitely interesting...

http://www.syrolight.com/bionase

and there seems to be an extremely cheap (probably counterfeit) device available on alibaba:

http://www.aliexpres...2924963872

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

I have problems with dust easily replenishing itself in my room every day and it's hard to breath in here. Any time I go to sleep I end up waking up feeling worse. Such a dreadful lifeless feeling to even get out of bed at that point.  The longer I avoid bed the better i feel usually. I have nasal agitations that always get worse in bed.  I don't know what to do.   I am barely functioning much at all these days.  I have some reishi to try but whatever. so much fog, can't think.

What supplements should be avoided in cases of dust and possible mould allergies? Any general rules or guidelines? 

And which specific anti-histamines are worth trying? They used to make me sleepy and foggy a lot when I used them for seasonal allergies. 

Edited by AlexCanada, 25 January 2016 - 12:50 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: allergic rhinitis, allergies, sinusitis, allergens, hayfever, dust mites, mucus, post-nasal drip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users