• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

24 y/o Student looking to boost concentration, retention, attention.. Please offer your opinions

nootropics cognitive supplements

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xerojer

• 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Hello fellow nootropies,

I apologize if my thread is very similar to a thousand others, but since I am a unique individual with unique needs, I would be very grateful for seasoned advice,

About me:
-24 year old
-male
-undergrad 
-past issues with anxiety/agoraphobia 
-exercise pretty much daily - 2/3 intense weight workouts a week - ride my bike 4/5 days a week
-within healthy levels of my body weight index

What I am looking for:
-something to improve my cognitive functions 
(Specifically In this order)
-Focus
-Retention (short term memory)
-Attention
-Long term memory
-Anxiety relief
-Motivation
-Mood

-------------------------------------------

Personally, I would not look for a pill to give me motivation or mood improvements, because I feel like almost always those need to come from genuine sources, not pills/powders. Anxiety relief is also someone low on the list because I already take prescription medication, and is not the highest priority for me through nootropics. 

(I know, even things like anxiety/depression are generally better treated non-pharmacologically, but sometimes it is so hard wired into us, that it is just easier to treat it that way)

--------------------------------------------

What I currently take:

(Prescriptions)

20mg Escitalopram (daily - for anxiety. I have taken it for almost a year and have not suffered one single full panic attack since)

15mg Mirtazepine (daily, though I  occasionally cycle it on/off: It helps me go to sleep at night and increases my appetite, both of which fight anxiety)

*note* I do not take anything in the morning ordinarily. My stomach is usually on the fritz in the morning (indigestion, slight acid reflux, slight nausea, no appetite) - I try to treat this naturally by limiting my caffeine intake and drinking milk, but I also eat spicy and greasy foods that I am sure do not help. 

(Nootropics) -- I started all of these about two weeks ago

Piracetam- (2400 mg in midday, 2400 mg before bed) (Have not really noticed an effect yet)

CDP Choline- (250 mg in midday, 250 mg before bed) (No noticeable effect)

Lions Mane- (500 mg in midday, 500 mg before bed) (No noticeable effect: I know this one really takes a while before having a substantial effect) 

Bacopa- (275 mg [stems/leaves] 225 mg aerial parts in midday, 275 mg [stems/leaves] 225 mg aerial parts before bed) : (Noticeable effect from this. Reduction in anxiety. Mega diarrhea. No real noticeable memory effect) 

Pyritinol- (200 ml in midday, 200 ml before bed) (No noticeable effect)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extras: 

*Vital Choice brand* High potency Omega-3 Therapy   (Daily)
--- 1100 EPA
--- 500 DHA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I want to stress, the areas that I REALLY would like to improve are:
1) Concentration/Focus (So I can focus on the task at hand, reading, writing, etc)
2) Retention (So I can recall information on test day)
3) Attention (So I have the mental fortitude to complete the tasks)

I am really hoping for long-term total cognitive benefits

I am not really looking for a pill to pop right before studying for a short-term boost (But if that is the only way to get definite temporary results, I am willing to try it)

I have patience and am willing to spend the money to stick with a stack for the long-term

--------------------------------------------------------------

One last question: Can all of the nootropics I have listed be taken basically indefinitely? Or do some of them need to be stopped cycled out after a certain point (e.g. 2-3 months, etc)

Sorry if this has been a long read,
Really thankful for any advice. Thank you guys
Please ask if you have any questions,

#2 Bubbles

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

Take legit colloidal gold. I'm still researching this but I think it fits your needs, for mood enhancement especially.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Sanguine_Rogue

• 392 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Consider Aniracetam and Tianeptine to help you with any anxiety and agoraphobia (likely due to a social anxiety element, as it was for myself). The Aniracetam will also help you with memory formation and retention through the stimulation of the AMPA and ACh receptors. The Tianeptine is a SSRE which is commonly prescribed in various European countries to help treat depression, so this could easily translate well in helping with any anxiety. Aniracetam also has many claims of helping with anxiety particularly ones due to social interactions that one with agoraphobia might experience.

Cheers!

#4 xerojer

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Thank you for the responses guys; every time I get a response, they bring up a supplement I am not aware so its always a good learning experience  :) 

Yes, Sanguine, I am considering adding Aniracetam (largely for its mood enhancement) in addition to a few others to my stack. Here are the supplements I am considering cycling in:

Oxi- For its memory, focus, and perception boosts
Ani- For its learning benefits and mood/reduced anxiety benefits 
Phenyl- For its extreme learning, focus, and physical improvements
Modafinil- For focus and concentration (I am really on the fence about this one. I get a good amount of sleep and take medication to help me sleep at night, so it does not make much sense for me to take something is used to treat narcolepsy. Especially if I can get the beneficial effects from something else)
Sulbutiamine- Memory, mood, and physical performance 
Pyritinol- Enhanced learning and synergy with sulbutiamine and racetams
CDP Choline- To restore choline levels used by the racetams 
Picamilon- Enhancing memory and mood

I do not know for sure which I will add, or subtract, but these are all ones I am considering. I feel that , probably largely because of my age, I do not get that much benefit for Piracetam. 

Thanks again guys

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Sanguine_Rogue

• 392 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

Becareful with the Pyritinol, I believe that is something that does need to be taken in lower doses and cycled (I could be mistaking it for a different nootropic with a similar name). For the most part your stack looks strong and solid, for a starter stack it might be quite potent so for the first few days expect to experience some odd feelings (drowsiness or brain fog) these of course will subside within a few days of continued use of the stack.

Cheers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropics, cognitive, supplements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users