Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Mental age and biological age

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

I was thinking, could we achieve longer lifespans by the addage 'you are only as old as you feel?'

For example, someone who has had to adopt a lot of responsiblity early on in life, eg a teenager moving out of home and already starting his/her own family vs someone who only 'weans' themselves in their 30's, spends a lot of their free time watching cartoons and playing computer games etc and only 'settles down' in their 40's before starting a family. But also all the while continue living out their 'childhood' games or thinking.

Does this lifestyle delay the brain kicking into 'extra gears' therefore some aspects of aging delayed? Do any changes occur on someone when they achieve milsestones (good/bad/normal) in life?? People move out of home when they are 16 these days. I was only 28 when I moved out into my own home lol. People are already becoming parents in their teens. Does this kick the brain into a higher 'gear' of no return?

Biology doesn't have a concious. Our goal is to pass on the genetic code to the next generation. If we continue to believe we are still 'children' not ready and not finished our job could our body 'hold back' on aspects of aging? Therefore if we wanted to live longer lives, we dont wean ourselves from our parents early and dont start our own family until our 30s etc. And ALWAYS play games and watch cartoons (in moderation of course).

Asians seem to live longer lives and looking at their social structure, spend most of their lives with extended family (never really 'weaned') and dont have children while they are still teenagers. (although the influence of the western lifestyle may be changing this in the current generation).

Think of our age like a gear shifter. Each gear with a different age speed. When we are kids, we are in gear 1, when we move out of home it goes up a gear, start a family, up another gear etc. The trick would be to maximise the potential of each gear and 'shift' at the right time. Perhaps you could 'add' a few years of your life by moving back in with mum 'tricking' your brain into thinking and responding differently

So I guess I am wondering in all this babble, even though we can eat right/healthy and exercise, could their be a social/envirnomental aspect to aging not yet fully known. Would 'Person A' who leaves home at 16, adopts a lot of responsibility, starts a family before they are 20 and spends his/her life 'all work and no play' attitude set them self up for a shorter life (regardless of healthy diet or lifestyle)?

#2 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

It has more to do with the way you live your life once you have kids in western society, than the way you think.

More stress, more fatigue, a more sedentary life style etc.

And easterners handle kids better, because they're, less emotionally invested if you will. Or rather they're only emotionally invested in the things that matter.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

When folks breed various lab critters for increased life spans, the major way to do that is in fact to select for procreation late in life.  But would that work in humans?  In today's publish-or-perish environment, few scientists have the appetite for an experiment that would give a result only after they have long died from aging... So what do we know.  Could it have to do with beliefs, self-image?  Critters don't seem to have those in the way humans do...  Now we're two major "if's" away from what we can know, so the ice is getting rather thin in terms of guiding actual action.  It's an interesting thought :)

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: age

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users