overmethylation undermethylation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

Hi

I took a homocystein test at my local doctor, and my h-level was 8.8

Afterwards I've been reading "The Homocystein Solution" (the 1st edition) by Patric Holford, and I am taking the supplements he suggest in order to get the h-level under 6.0

I will retest in 3 months.

I am also taking SAMe, 400 mg, in the morning, even though Holford is not directly saying that this is necessary. I've also implemented some diet changes, reduced my coffee consumption, and try to stress less.

I have some questions:

1. I have some medium depression issues for no apparent reason, and I am also experiencing a lack of energy. The depression issue has lasted a year approx, and the lack of energy for several years. I am not overweight, and all results from the doctor tell that I am in "good shape".  In the context of methylation, can undermethylation be a cause of this? 

2. Based on an article by Dr. Benjamin Lynch, the body can easily switch between undermethylation and overmethylation. According to Lynch, one can supplement with niacin if one feels overmethylated, and this will correct the issue for the time being. Does anyone have any experience with actually "feeling" a transition between an over- and undermethylated state, and "correcting" overmethylation with niacin?

3. Holford is stating a level of below 6 as desirable for homocystein. How low can homocystein go? All the way to zero? Is that the "peak" of methylation? 

3b. Can homocystein get a negative value?

3c. In terms of being "overmethylated", which homocystein value would normally follow that "condition"?

4. In an article written by Holford some years after the first edtion of his book, he has reduced the recommended TMG dosage from 750 to 500 mg for those with homocystein between 6 and 8, and he has also added NAC as a supplement. Some other articles I read, mentioned that NAC would only be necessary for older citizens with combined methylation and memory issues. Comment on both issues?

Edited by JohnDoe999, 25 July 2014 - 07:46 AM.

• Ill informed x 1

#2 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Your level looks already not bad. Watch niacin as it can increases homocysteine level (see Holford too). There is also some evidence for metformin and chlorogenic acid (green coffe extract) for glucose control if you go that path. Have also your genetic SNP profile done for methylation.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

I don't seem to be able to edit the post anymore, but please disregard question 3b.

• Enjoying the show x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

3b. Remember homocysteine is needed and too low is bad too. It is a matter of balance. Dr. Andrew Rostenberg indicates a range 4-8. You can refer to a good lesson in 3 parts at:

http://beyondmthfr.c...teine-part-iii/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: overmethylation, undermethylation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users