• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Critique my hangover formula please! /Does L-Cysteine have a pro-oxidative effect after drinking?

hangovers nac dhm

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kerfinite

• 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hi guys, 

I have developed a formula to combat hangovers after about a month or so of trial and error/research and it is working pretty well yet I think it could be improved and would really appreciate some help!

The general idea around the formula is to increase glutathione levels, dilate blood vessels and rehydrate before and after drinking to help someone wake up feeling much better than usual after a night out. 

NAC is subbed for L-Cysteine HCI in the post drinking dose due to reports (and first hand experience) of a pro-oxidative effect after ethanol consumption 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16439183

I was just wondering if anyone would change this formula at all and also if anyone knew if L-cysteine had the same pro-oxidative effect as NAC does after ethanol consumption, I have not been able to find any literature or reports indicating that it does but the verdict remains open. 

I appreciate any help or advice! 
Cheers 

The formula as it currently stands: 

Pre Drinking (30mins) 

N Acetyl L-Cysteine: 1000mg 

Alpha Lipoic Acid: 200mg

Ascorbic Acid: 2000mg 

Thiamine (B1): 200mg 

Pyridoxal phosphate (B6): 50mg 

Cobalamin (B12): 50mg 

Magnesium chelate: 250mg

Sodium chloride: 150mg 

Potassium: 150mg 

Post Drinking 

L-Cysteine HCL: 1000mg 

Alpha Lipoic Acid: 200mg

Ascorbic Acid: 2000mg 

Thiamine (B1): 200mg 

Pyridoxal phosphate (B6): 50mg 

Cobalamin (B12): 50mg 

Magnesium chelate: 250mg

Sodium Chloride: 150mg 

Potassium: 150mg

Dihydromyricetin: 600mg

#2 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Consider that the dosage used is insane (6g/kg), at normal human doses it might have a different effect.

I'm curious to know why it would cause ROS damage after ethanol is administered, maybe ethanol prevents glutathione synthesis from NAC?

Or maybe is it because ethanol impairs liver function hence impairs proper processing of NAC?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Reduced l-glutathione + C + niacin works extremely well.

#4 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

Both Mag (normal dose) and Vitamin-C (in large dose) can cause diarrhea...  Could make for an explosive morning after.  Hope your date isn't within ear-shot of the bathroom.  

I believe the legal max dose for potassium supplements is 99mg.  Potassium, and minerals in general (Mag) can be nauseating.  Wouldn't want to drop these during a hangover.  .  

SAM-e and a V8 tomato juice cocktail are the best things I've found for a hangover...  SAM-e fixes queasy brain fog literally in 30 minutes.  V8 provides potassium in a non-nauseating form, and  sodium and vitamin C.  Don't know what it is about tomatoes but they are tried and true.  Perhaps the Lycopene?  Magical stuff!  

#5 kerfinite

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

Consider that the dosage used is insane (6g/kg), at normal human doses it might have a different effect.

I'm curious to know why it would cause ROS damage after ethanol is administered, maybe ethanol prevents glutathione synthesis from NAC?

Or maybe is it because ethanol impairs liver function hence impairs proper processing of NAC?

That is true, in a average sized human the same dose would be 360g which is just crazy 

I would hope that it is due to ethanol preventing glutathione synthesis from NAC rather than ethanol impairing liver function impairing the proper processing of NAC because that could also mean other similar substances would not be able to be processed after drinking :|  

Both Mag (normal dose) and Vitamin-C (in large dose) can cause diarrhea...  Could make for an explosive morning after.  Hope your date isn't within ear-shot of the bathroom.  

I believe the legal max dose for potassium supplements is 99mg.  Potassium, and minerals in general (Mag) can be nauseating.  Wouldn't want to drop these during a hangover.  .  

SAM-e and a V8 tomato juice cocktail are the best things I've found for a hangover...  SAM-e fixes queasy brain fog literally in 30 minutes.  V8 provides potassium in a non-nauseating form, and  sodium and vitamin C.  Don't know what it is about tomatoes but they are tried and true.  Perhaps the Lycopene?  Magical stuff!  

Ahh yes there very well may have been some similar episodes to what you described! 
I included mag because I read that it supports the alcohol dehydrogensase enzyme that breaks down alchohol and removes it from the body. Where I read this is do not remember. 

I will definitely look into SAM-e and reduce/remove the minerals, thanks! 

#6 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

You should also add a few grams of Taurine, pre drinking.

#7 gatornoot

• 26 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:39 AM

I take S-NAC before I go out drinking every time and haven't had a hangover since I started using it. It's a commercial formulation of Sulbutiamine and NAC (S-NAC, get it?) with 720mg each per serving. The Sulbutiamine readily crosses the blood brain barrier and increases the levels of thiamine and thiamine phosphate esters in the brain, so you have the acetaldehyde protection in the brain and the liver (from the NAC), and also the nootropic effects from the sulbutiamine while you're drinking, which are nice. I feel nice, relaxed, sharp and witty when I drink and remember everything that happened when I wake up the next day. They do recommend you take it with Vitamin C, and it does work better this way.

The product is brand new and is only made by a company called Vitalitus, but it's the real deal. They also have a pretty detailed explanation of how it works. It's only available in the US, though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

• Off-Topic x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hangovers, nac, dhm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users