- - - - -

Boron inhibits NAD?

boron nad

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

There's something going on with Boron and NAD. Can someone explain this? If we want to boost NAD, should we avoid Boron? I admit, I don't understand the quote below, but the first sentence concerns me.

Rev Environ Contam Toxicol. 2013;225:57-75. 
Kabu M1, Akosman MS.
PMID: 23494556 | Full text

Borate also inhibited nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) (Roush and Norris 1950; Strittmatter 1964; Deitrich 1967; Deal 1969). Moreover, it is known that the hydroxyl groups of NAD forms complexes with the borate compound (Johnson and Smith 1976). Boron having adjacent hydroxyl groups (transferases) has a tendency to form complexes with organic molecules. It may have an interaction with important biological substances, containing polysaccharides, pyridoxine, riboflavin, dehydroascorbic acid, and the pyridine nucleotides. (Samman et al. 1998; Deviran and Volpe 2003) It binds strongly to furanoid cis-diols, which include erythritan, ribose, and apiose; apiose is present throughout the cell walls of vascularplants (Loomis and Durst 1992; Hunt 2012).

Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP) contain ribose components that are active in energy metabolism; binding to them affects certain metabolic pathway processes (Hunt 2012). Hunt (2012) reported that NAD+ is an essential cofactor for five sub-sub-classes of oxidoreductase enzymes and has a strong relevance for boron. The diadenosine-phosphates (ApnA) are structurally similar to NAD+. Compared to NAD+, boron binding by Ap4A, Ap5A, and Ap6A is greatly enhanced; however, the binding is still less than that to S-adenosylmethionine (SAM).

Thanks.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

It's kind of screwy to say that boron "inhibited" NAD.  You can inhibit an enzyme, but you can't inhibit a small molecule.  I think what they mean is that boron (B(OH)3) binds to NAD.  If that's the case, it might effectively take it out of service, or maybe not.  There's a lot of evidence that boron is essential and health-promoting, so it's not like you'd want to avoid it.  Maybe you don't want to megadose on it, but that's pretty much the case with everything.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boron, nad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users