• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Applicable to c60? - Mitochondrially Targeted Antioxidants as a Way to Suppress Cancer Metastasis

c60 mitochondria cancer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SearchingForAnswers

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm  betting that this may be applicable to the Baati study finding no cancer in the c60 rats - what do members think?

Permalink to article: https://www.fightagi...-metastasis.php

Mitochondrially Targeted Antioxidants as a Way to Suppress Cancer Metastasis
Permalink | View Comments (0) | Post Comment | Share | Posted by Reason

The process of metastasis is why malign cancers of all sorts turn out to be fatal in the end: their cells spread throughout the body to establish new tumors and outpace the ability of present treatments to keep up. The promise of the near future of cancer medicine is largely predicated on its ability to deal with metastasis. One approach is the use of targeted cell killing technologies that recognize cancer cells by their surface chemistry, capable of chasing down errant cells wherever they are in the process of spreading or building tumors. I think this is likely the type of treatment that will dominate the next generation of cancer treatments, as a range of different approaches to targeting are presently well advanced in the laboratory and clinical trials: immune therapies, simple nanomachines, engineered viruses, and so forth.

Another approach is to interfere with the process of metastasis in order to shut it down or at least suppress it, which would make many types of cancer more amenable to successful treatment with present day standards of surgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy. There hasn't been a great deal of success in suppressing metastasis in comparison to development of means to target cancer cells, but nonetheless a few approaches have been attempted. In the paper quoted below, researchers suggest that use of mitochondrially targeted antioxidants might be effective as a means of reducing metastasis to very low levels. If this bears out, it may attract more interest in the development of these compounds, which have been demonstrated to modestly extend life in mice as well as showing promise as treatments for a range of conditions.

Mitochondrial DNA damage is implicated in the progression of aging, and one theory is that this damage is caused by the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) within the mitochondria in the course of ordinary operation. So in theory life-long treatment with mitochondrially targeted antioxidants, carefully engineered compounds quite different from the antioxidants you can buy in a supplement store, will extend life by soaking up some of those ROS before they cause harm. As an approach to extending life this is poor in comparison to methods of mitochondrial damage repair, however. It can only slow the progression of aging somewhat, not turn back the clock.

Researchers at UCL identify a treatment that prevents tumor metastasis

Quote:
[Researchers have] succeeded in pinpointing a family of pharmaceutical compounds whose action prevents the appearance of tumor metastasis. The researchers achieved this tour de force by studying the mitochondria in tumor cells. These organelles are considered as the cells' power station. But when their functioning is altered, as [the] researchers observed in tumor cells, the mitochondria can promote cell migration, thus leading to the formation of metastasis.

[The researchers] examined the molecular mechanism responsible for the mitochondria's ability to promote metastasis. They succeeded in showing that, under certain conditions, the mitochondria produce more free radicals known as superoxide ions (O2.-). It is this overproduction of superoxide that leads to the formation of metastasis and, consequently, the growth of a tumor. Involved in other human pathologies such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease, the production of superoxide by the mitochondria can be blocked by very specific antioxidants such as MitoTEMPO. Used in models of murine and human tumors, these compounds turned out to be very efficient at blocking the migration of tumor cells and preventing the spontaneous formation of human tumor metastasis in mice.

A Mitochondrial Switch Promotes Tumor Metastasis

Quote:
Metastatic progression of cancer is associated with poor outcome, and here we examine metabolic changes underlying this process. Although aerobic glycolysis is known to promote metastasis, we have now identified a different switch primarily affecting mitochondria. The switch involves overload of the electron transport chain (ETC) with preserved mitochondrial functions but increased mitochondrial superoxide production. It provides a metastatic advantage phenocopied by partial ETC inhibition, another situation associated with enhanced superoxide production. Both cases involved protein tyrosine kinases Src and Pyk2 as downstream effectors. Thus, two different events, ETC overload and partial ETC inhibition, promote superoxide-dependent tumor cell migration, invasion, clonogenicity, and metastasis. Consequently, specific scavenging of mitochondrial superoxide with mitoTEMPO blocked tumor cell migration and prevented spontaneous tumor metastasis in murine and human tumor models.

Edited by SearchingForAnswers, 29 July 2014 - 01:28 PM.

• like x 3
  • WellResearched x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

I think this is a very important paper.  (link to the journal article)  I agree that it's relevant to the reported (unusual) lack of tumors in Baati's c60oo rats.  The observed activities of c60oo are consistent with it being a mitochondrial antioxidant (after digestion and incorporation of fullerene-bound fatty acids into membranes.), and it is likely to be active against superoxide, as is MitoTEMPO.  The greatest accomplishment of this paper is the nailing down of the Mito Superoxide -> Src -> Pyk2 pathway leading to the metastatic phenotype. 

• Informative x 2
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

Is MitoTEMPO for sale? I have not heard the name in the past and google does not say very much. It does make C60 look more plausible.

#4 SearchingForAnswers

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Niner, thanks for the insight.

Cosmical, I have no idea. Let me know if you hear of anything for sale. But hopefully c60oo is already taking care of that.

#5 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

Superb find Searching..... thanks for posting it up.  

#6 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

At this point the link between c60 and mitochondria is all conjecture and hypothesizing. The link hasn't been made in vivo yet that I am aware of. 

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

At this point the link between c60 and mitochondria is all conjecture and hypothesizing. The link hasn't been made in vivo yet that I am aware of.

True, which is why people are moving  toward testing these hypotheses experimentally.  However, some hypotheses are based on better evidence than others.  There is a lot of experimental work with other fullerene analogs that show mitochondrial localization and activity against superoxide.  All of our observations are consistent with it acting that way, and I'm not aware of any countervailing evidence.  It's still good to bear in mind that this hasn't yet been nailed down experimentally.

Edited by niner, 31 July 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#8 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

The first link is members only, niner. I'm very hopeful about c60 but I want to know more about the toxicity in humans at first. Until that time I will go with MitoQ, I'm 30 so I figure I can wait a couple of years. I don't feel secure about C60 just yet.

• like x 1

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

The first link is members only, niner. I'm very hopeful about c60 but I want to know more about the toxicity in humans at first. Until that time I will go with MitoQ, I'm 30 so I figure I can wait a couple of years. I don't feel secure about C60 just yet.

Oh, sorry.  We're putting together a Longecity-matched crowd funded experiment that will look at the effect of c60oo on human cancer cells in an immunosuppressed mouse model.  We should be able to get a post up in a public place sometime soon.  It's reasonable to wait for more data on c60oo, and MitoQ has been around for a lot longer. 

Edited by niner, 01 August 2014 - 12:25 AM.

• like x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#10 Vardarac

• 178 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Is there any evidence that c60oo has detrimental effects? If not, are you also seeking funding to establish its safety?

#11 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

Another interesting thing re targeted antioxidants.

Previously we showed that hypoxia induced mitochondrial respiratory stress in RAW 264.7 macrophages and other cells caused activation of retrograde signaling (also known as mitochondrial respiratory stress signaling), and appearance of TRAP positive cells. In the present study we used N-acetyl cysteine and ascorbate as general antioxidants and Mito-Q, a mitochondria specific antioxidant to investigate the role of intracellular ROS (reactive oxygen species) in osteoclast differentiation. Our results show that hypoxia mediated mitochondrial dysfunction as tested by disruption of mitochondrial transmembrane potential was suppressed by MitoQ as well as the other antioxidants. These agents also suppressed the activation of mitochondrial retrograde signaling. Interestingly, in terms of molar concentrations, MitoQ was more than 1000 fold more effective than general antioxidants in suppressing the RANKL-induced differentiation of RAW264.7 cells into multinucleated and TRAP positive osteoclasts. We propose that mitochondrial function and intramitochondrial ROS play important role in osteoclastogenesis.

http://pmid.us/full:20392243

#12 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:56 AM

Is MitoTEMPO for sale? 

What about these:

http://www.scbt.com/...mito-tempo.html

http://www.sigmaaldr...ng=en&region=CA

Granted, not cheap but available nonetheless.

Niner, would you please explain in which chemical category this compound falls under (e.g. C60 in fullerenes, MitoQ in quinone mesylates) and how/if it is different in action from C60oo and MitoQ?

OP- great find!

Thank you both!

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Niner, would you please explain in which chemical category this compound falls under (e.g. C60 in fullerenes, MitoQ in quinone mesylates) and how/if it is different in action from C60oo and MitoQ?

MitoQ, MitoTEMPO and SkQ1 are all synthetic mitochondrial antioxidants that are targeted to the mitochondrial inner membrane by virtue of a large hydrophobic cation, triphenylphosphonium.  Each has a different antioxidant attached to the TPP group- a quinone, a nitroxide spin trap, and a plastoquinone, respectively.  C60oo is a fullerene bound to a fatty acid, once the c60oo is hydrolyzed by the digestive system.   Based on structural arguments, observed biological effects, and known fullerene chemistry, I think it's quite likely that the c6O fatty acid adduct behaves as a membrane-bound antioxidant, some of which (or perhaps a majority of) will be found in the mitochondria.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#14 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:04 AM

MitoQ, MitoTEMPO and SkQ1 are all synthetic mitochondrial antioxidants that are targeted to the mitochondrial inner membrane by virtue of a large hydrophobic cation, triphenylphosphonium.  Each has a different antioxidant attached to the TPP group- a quinone, a nitroxide spin trap, and a plastoquinone, respectively.  C60oo is a fullerene bound to a fatty acid, once the c60oo is hydrolyzed by the digestive system.   Based on structural arguments, observed biological effects, and known fullerene chemistry, I think it's quite likely that the c6O fatty acid adduct behaves as a membrane-bound antioxidant, some of which (or perhaps a majority of) will be found in the mitochondria.

Niner - would you expect any sort of synergistic action between MitoQ, MitoTEMPO, SkQ1, etc. and C60oo?

• like x 1

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

would you expect any sort of synergistic action between MitoQ, MitoTEMPO, SkQ1, etc. and C60oo?

That's a good question.  To the extent that they have different mechanisms, it's at least conceivable.   It's also possible that they would be additive, or that one would swamp out the effects of the less powerful ones.  Out and out antagonism would surprise me, but even that can't be completely ruled out.  We have so little data that I can't do much more than speculate. 

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c60, mitochondria, cancer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users