Photo
- - - - -

LongeCity Administration Fundraiser (WIP) Please give constructive feedback

operations

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 YOLF

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

As exhilerating as being a new leadership recruit for LongeCity has been, I've encountered some limits in how much I can do for our mission. Mainly, the more I do to help us achieve our mission, the more I necessarily have to commit hours of management to approve the projects, handle the financial transaction, and take care of any engineering that might be necessary. As all board members and officers tend to have activities they are already committed to including regular jobs it's difficult to leverage the community as much as we can and should to accelerate our mission to achieve universal access to indefinite lifespans and other supporting technologies. It is for this reason that I propose an operations fundraiser.

Project Portion:

1. Proposal: LongeCity Operations Fundraiser
  2. Team Leaders: CryonicsCulture
  3. Leader workload: up to 5hrs/wk
  4. Team Members: 
  5. Members workload: N/A
  6. Members only? - N/A
  7. Funding Required? - Fundraiser + $200 in grant money to purchase 2 high quality HD webcams and a set of small lights, plus $150 for a USPS shipping budget to mail them along with a second set of lights that I already own and will commit to this project. The cameras will be sent to people to record videos to support our mission and fundraisers and will be available for other fundraisers as well. For instance, I might send one to an important scientist or scholarship recipient for them to say something like "Hi, I'm Dr. Soandso and LongeCity supports important science that will improve lives." as well as some other thoughts and what not to be used periodically in fundraising update videos and video testimonials. 
  8. Funding Level: Initially, we will aim to raise $60,000 to supplement our budget for officers and other independent contractors who are determined to be necessary by the board and officers. Additional fundraisers will be run at regular intervals until LongeCity has a self sustaining workforce.
  9. Metrics for evaluating success or failure: Success will be raising money for a regular workforce and making strides to transition to offering FT employment.
  10. Milestones / Interim Steps

Initially, this fundraiser will be run by the Assistant Secretary. However, it would be of great benefit if all officers spend a little time documenting their activities in threads of their particular leadership forum in similar fashion to a blog, perhaps with pictures or other impromptu media if not too much trouble. These records can then be used in the fundraising updates.

Fundraiser:

a- Personal Details: Details are on file with LongeCity

b- Relevant background details of the key beneficiaries: The beneficiaries of this fundraiser will be those whom LongeCity services through its mission and those who begin transitioning to FT independent contractor positions. Provisionally, the independent contractors would include members such as Caliban, Mind, rwac, s123, Shannon Vyff, those previously holding positions with LC, or others who are attracted to officer positions by higher pay and who are approved by the board.

c- All the information that you would supply on the fundraisingwebsite:

I'll record a video explaining what LongeCity is, what our mission is, and how indefinite lifespans are good for everyone. I will periodically provide video updates similar to my "Behind the scenes at LongeCity" blog series and also based on the Newsletter to showcase LongeCity's impacts on science, and the social domain of the wider RLE community.

d- A breakdown of costs. An indication of what wants you would be aiming to raise via the external page, and what funds you are aiming to raise via LongeCity. 

Using contributions from external fundraising platforms in addition to the LongeCity platform, I'm be aiming to expand the stipends of the President, Secretary, Treasurer, Lead Engineer, Lead Editor, and Assistant Secretary by $10,000 each for each recurring fundraiser with the aim of creating 6 Full Time positions paying stipend of up to $60,000 each per year. The available stipend expansion funds will be divided by the number of months remaining in the year and each position will be able to claim up to 1/6th of that month's stipend expansion funds in addition to their usual stipends. As not all funds are likely to be claimed until the people filling these positions adjust to the transition or will be able to separate from their present commitments immediately, the funds will be increasingly made available to the most active workers. In addition to time, stipend expansion funds may also be claimed to pay for expenses related to travel, fundraising expenses, expenses related to public speaking engagements, project expenses (for instance, the Lead Editor needing a Photoshop subscription from adobe, the President needing a copy of minitab, or other expenses to be approved according to the stipend approval rules), Officers will also be able to use stipends to commission temporary contractors, and for other things as determined by the Board in the usual fashion. 

e- What 'star' rating 1-3 you would like to apply for (one cannot apply for 4-stars, these are awarded during review). 

This will be a 1 Star fundraiser. Matching funds would not make sense.

• like x 1

#2 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

Good idea. I personally would hope to do some fund-raising to encourage local activities (meetings, lectures, writing texts in national languages). But perhaps some part of it could be transferred to the central operations fund? (will need to be phrased accordingly)

#3 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

Every bit helps. Once we're able to reach a sustainable operation with regular staff we'll be bringing in enough money to help the local chapters.

I'd also like to see a fundraiser proposal to increase funds that are made available to incentivize local chapters and match fundraisers for local initiatives. I'd really like to help build stone bench memorials with the LongeCity url and logo on them and eventually clubhouses and what not. Brick and mortar stuff goes a long way to establish yourself in a brick and mortar community.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 12 August 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#4 G. Stolyarov II

• 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

Greetings, Peter.

Here is my feedback regarding this proposal, as you requested. The idea of paying for longevity activism work is a promising one, in that it might elicit more sustained and larger-scale efforts. However, I think that the scope of crowdfunding within transhumanist/life-extensionist circles today would be too narrow to reliably raise $60,000 per year for any cause outside of direct research. Because most transhumanists and life-extensionists are currently relatively young and poor, my experience has been that even a $5,000 fundraising goal (which my own fundraiser reached due to the massive effort and publicity invested into it by many individuals, yourself included) is quite ambitious. As the resource base of the movement expands, and as new people are introduced to the ideas of indefinite life extension through the efforts of LongeCity and other initiatives such as MILE, the fundraising capacity would improve as well. The alternative to crowdfunding would be to try to get a wealthy donor to contribute most  or all of the $60,000 per year needed, but this would require a candidate donor to be found and a really compelling value proposition to be put forth to such an individual. The contractor who would ultimately receive these funds would have a much greater willingness to engage in this line of work full time if he/she understood that the source of the funding is stable, instead of being inherently volatile and unpredictable, as crowdfunding necessarily is. But outreach to wealthy potential donors is outside my own experience at this time, so I can only bring up the idea for your consideration.

My suggestion would be to start with a more modest crowdfunded goal and then clearly and very publicly demonstrate the value of the funds raised in getting additional, necessary work done. Instead of presenting the position as full-time and quasi-permanent, present it as a payment for temporary work on a specific project or projects. (This would lower barriers to entry for many people, and some qualified individuals might be willing to do the work part-time, but on a more systematic basis than a volunteer activity.)

The first fundraiser could contemplate specific improvements to LongeCity’s infrastructure, an outreach campaign, or a similar endeavor that LongeCity might have deemed valuable in the past but did not have the resources to execute. The fundraiser could stipulate that, for the goal amount (say, $2,000 – likely quite doable), we would be able to have a contractor work X hours on doing Y, and expected deliverables would be A, B, and C. Then, once the funds are raised and the work gets done, the next fundraiser could showcase the successes of its predecessor and thereby convince more people that these efforts are worthy of their notice and support. Over time, as the movement grows and the value of the work is demonstrated, you may be able to reach the $60,000-per-year mark because a dedicated base of financial supporters will have been built up.

I hope this helps with the brainstorming.

Sincerely,

Gennady Stolyarov II

#5 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Gen, very useful :)

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

with the aim of creating 6 Full Time positions paying stipend of up to $60,000 each

That's $360,000/year that wouldn't be going to research.  I think most people in this community would rather see that going to SENS.

• Agree x 2

#7 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

with the aim of creating 6 Full Time positions paying stipend of up to $60,000 each

That's $360,000/year that wouldn't be going to research.  I think most people in this community would rather see that going to SENS.

The point is that we're vastly under capitalized and can close that gap. By my estimate, we can raise 10x that much with a full time staff. Think about how much work we'd be able to get done with a full time staff. How much content could we generate, and think about how much more efficiently we could use our content. We have ~$25k registered users and a few hundred members. Most of which don't visit us very often, but there's plenty to talk about and plenty of reasons and ways to engage them in conversation. 

Most non catholic charities spend ~50% on compensation. Presently, we spend ~5%. It takes talent, full-time work and human resources to make things happen on a large scale.

Put it this way, we have two options:

Option One (current strategy) -

• Take another decade or two to create real jobs and see what we're capable of. 
  • Have inconsistent participation and quality
  • Struggle with site development and be perpetually behind for the foreseeable future
  • Struggle to attract human resources
  • Struggle to organize meetings
  • Have delays adding at least 30 days between conception and execution
  • Have slow growth among local chapters and frequently lose interested individuals to lack of involvment
  • Earn what we're earning now ($50k), plus the historical annual average increase of ~8% to be spent on research and advocacy.

Option Two (Proposed) - Have as many as 6 full time workers who in the next 1-3 years will:

• Write grant applications
  • Maintain constant contact with users and members
  • Maintain constant efforts to attract new users/members/advertisers/sponsors
  • Maintain a regular footprint in global medias including social media and traditional platforms and expand our reach ever further.
  • Become a regular source of activity and generate regular press releases.
  • Actively connect with researchers and universities to participate in fundraising activities and research design
  • Actively build and connect with local chapters to arrange activities, build monuments, build clubhouses, get our names on things and promote sustainable growth driven local chapter missions.
  • Complete dozens of other initiatives proposed by full time workers to increase our userbase and membership and impact on the industry
  • Grow to a $4.1M+ concern in 1-3 years and do some serious science.

#8 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

this bit: 

Funding Required? - Fundraiser + $200 in grant money to purchase 2 high quality HD webcams and a set of small lights, plus $150 for a USPS shipping budget to mail them along with a second set of lights that I already own and will commit to this project. The cameras will be sent to people to record videos to support our mission and fundraisers and will be available for other fundraisers as well. For instance, I might send one to an important scientist or scholarship recipient for them to say something like "Hi, I'm Dr. Soandso and LongeCity supports important science that will improve lives." 

seems a bit odd. In the age of laptop and phone cameras you are proposing to buy a camera and ship it around the country so that people can speak into it?  I would not be donating to a fundraiser for that purpose. However, that does not mean no-one else will. If you want to run a 1-star fundraiser just for those $200 that is not a problem.

Regarding the broader goal, the fundraiser scheme is meant to be for specific projects. Of course, LongeCity is open to general donations.    

#9 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:34 AM

this bit: 

Funding Required? - Fundraiser + $200 in grant money to purchase 2 high quality HD webcams and a set of small lights, plus $150 for a USPS shipping budget to mail them along with a second set of lights that I already own and will commit to this project. The cameras will be sent to people to record videos to support our mission and fundraisers and will be available for other fundraisers as well. For instance, I might send one to an important scientist or scholarship recipient for them to say something like "Hi, I'm Dr. Soandso and LongeCity supports important science that will improve lives." 

seems a bit odd. In the age of laptop and phone cameras you are proposing to buy a camera and ship it around the country so that people can speak into it?  I would not be donating to a fundraiser for that purpose. However, that does not mean no-one else will. If you want to run a 1-star fundraiser just for those $200 that is not a problem.

Regarding the broader goal, the fundraiser scheme is meant to be for specific projects. Of course, LongeCity is open to general donations.    

I take it you're not interested in the rest? Are you against the idea of full time staff in general, or does the proposal need work? Can you explain?

Laptop webcams usually have pretty low quality video, but for around $100 there are good externals that produce respectable video in most lighting conditions. It's not entirely required. I already have one and set of lights that I can use for this kind of thing, but without a series of active fundraisers it's not necessary to have more than that.

#10 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:17 AM

Fundraisers should be promotional not merely presentational.  Facts are fine but getting the idea out there in a promotional way is as important as getting money from people. Promotion is not just cerebral, its emotional. That's why politicians mix music, food, and booze with fundraisers.  It makes for more of a "party".

I guess I'm trying to get you to think in a more "entertaining" way with respect to the message.  At times I've wondered if perhaps we took ourselves a little less seriously then others might actually take us more so.

Facts are all good but you need to get passed the "glazed eye look" from a lot of the people we need to convince.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 14 August 2014 - 03:19 AM.

• like x 1

#11 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

Fundraisers should be promotional not merely presentational.  Facts are fine but getting the idea out there in a promotional way is as important as getting money from people. Promotion is not just cerebral, its emotional. That's why politicians mix music, food, and booze with fundraisers.  It makes for more of a "party".

I guess I'm trying to get you to think in a more "entertaining" way with respect to the message.  At times I've wondered if perhaps we took ourselves a little less seriously then others might actually take us more so.

Facts are all good but you need to get passed the "glazed eye look" from a lot of the people we need to convince.

Good points, can you expand on these in more detail Laz?

#12 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

First establish a scale of priorities for each such event.

Second, do a thorough assessment of the target group.

Third try to ensure that the contributors feel rewarded for their participation as well as for their donations.  

To accomplish 3 requires a balance of individual incentives, general inspiration and some measure of easy message, linked to an entertaining presentation

The first priority should be a formal business plan for how to structure the event such that it has a reasonable chance of successfully generating revenue.

The second priority is to have a master of ceremony competant to coordinate and execute the planned event. (This is more like politics or a wedding than like an academic lecture.)  

Third, the event should be informative and consistent with institutional goals, however it could also be structured to present these objectives in a way that is entertaining.  Think about the idea of a "comic roast" for "Death".  Ridiculing death is the first step to taking away its "sacred allure".

There are actually a lot more steps involved but let's take these first ones, one at a time.  The use of comedy is an example of how to charactature death and confront popular myths but it is not the only one. Music, art, literature, as well as other qualitative examples of "good living" are all relevant.  Make people happy and proud to participate and contribute to this endeavor. Get them excited and involved and they will contribute even more.

When asking for money it helps to have clearly defined goals for the use of the capital being raised and objective measures for how those "investments" can be monitored for effectiveness.  When contributors think of their donations as investments they have a stake in the outcome for what happens to the funds. 

• like x 1

#13 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Tough sell. As Niner mentioned, most members would rather support research. If you can get the first 60K (maybe from a wealthy donor), then we can start thinking about hiring.

• like x 1

#14 Alvin

• 104 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

It would be advisable to try to have the cooperation of a number of Immortalist type groups and apply for grants from foundations. The National Institutes of Health was cut back more than eight billion dollars over the last few years when you take inflation into account. 

The Federal military and space budgets amount to about $89,000,000,000 yearly. The medical research budget is $39,000,000,000. We should spend at least as much money for medical research as we do for military and space research.

The Federal Agency for Health Care Research and Quality says that the medical Utilization rate of the top 1% of our people which amounts to $560,000,000,000 or $200,000 per person. in health care costs. The top 5% of the people use $1,350,000,000 or $88,000 per person for health care. Fifty percent of our population spend only 2.8% of health care costs. That is under $500.00 per person for care which come to about $$75,000,000,000.

If all the people could be put into what is now the healthy portion of the health care population the cost of health care would go from $2,700,000,000 to $150,000,000. That would be a saving of $2,550,000,000. What a difference! Obviously that isn't practical in the near future. We can aim to reduce health care cost by bringing as many people as possible into the 50% category or close to it.

We would also bring down the cost of Social Security Disability, welfare, food stamps, self paid home care and nursing home care, special transportation, etc. Those expenses are in addition to the $2,700,000,000 current medical expenses which are expected to go to $4,000,000,000 by 2025

I have a lot of additional information I could send you but you can see the economic implications of health care. We should make this part of the national debate. We would actually save money by spending more money for medical research.

By combining with other organizations we could start an aging research fund. No major aging research fund exists at the present time..I made a suggestion in 1975 to the American Aging Association to do that but they did not start an aging research charity.

We could also start an Internet radio station. We need listeners. By combining with other organizations we can develop one. People would down load free apps for this purpose. We would support it with advertising and donations. The experts say that 50% of the people listen to Internet radio. Some day we may have an Internet television station. They will be listened to and seen nationally and internationally.

We can try to get start up funds for it from foundations. 

Alvin Steinberg

#15 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Alvin, as a start, maybe you could create a small list of foundations you think would be willing to give a grant to LongeCity. Check over their grant requirements and see if it would be worthwhile for us to apply.

#16 Alvin

• 104 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

It is difficult to get grants for a group that never got a foundation grant before. The best way to go about obtaining a grant is for us to contact a variety of like minded organizations and form an umbrella group. Each group would keep its identity but work together. It would be more impressive for them.

I would be willing to get the name and addresses of some foundations that we could could contact. 

The main Foundation Center, located at 79 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10003-3076,  has a data base of 105,000 foundations. Their telephone number is 212 - 620 - 4230. The main Headquarters is located in New York City. I will give you the funding information network locations of the Foundation Center. in Wisconsin. You can contact them.

The New York Foundation Center offers free classes and paid classes teaching how to work with foundations.. I don't know about the Wisconsin Centers. The free classes that I took were not very good. The New York Foundation has librarians that give a little assistance in the technique of using their computers for finding foundations. The Wisconsin sources may also help in this endeavor.

1. University of Wisconsin - Madison, Memorial Library, Grants Information Center, 728 State St. Room 262, Madison, WI, 53706 (Tel)-608-262-3242

2.University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Library Foundation Collection, 900 Reserve St., Stevens Point, Wi. (Tel)-715-346-2540.

3. Marquette University Raynor Memorial Library, Funding Information Center, PO Box 3141, Milwaukee, Wi. 53201 (Tel)- 414 - 288-1515

4.Mason County District Library - 217 E. Ludington Ave. Ludington, MI.49431 (Tel) - 231 - 843 - 8465

5. La Crosse Public Library, 800 Main St, La Cross, WI 54601, (Tel) - 608 - 789 - 7100

6. Northwest Suburban Philantrophy Center 130 S. Roselle Rd. Schaumburg, (tel) - (847) - 985 - 4000

You can contact me about additional assistance  that you will need.

Alvin Steinberg

#17 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

The idea to form an umbrella group is excellent. I remember about 2010 there was an initiative at Longecity to form a “Longevity Communities Network”. Perhaps it can be revisited.

Here is an old link (not working now http://www.longecity...communities.php )

• Off-Topic x 1

#18 Alvin

• 104 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

There are 5 pages of material in this correspondence. It is best to print it out..

Shalom:

The best way to communicate with Individuals and international groups is to meet with them through the Internet from their homes. Using the Internet, we can communicate within groups and between groups anywhere in the world.

One way of doing this is with Google Hangouts. There are other free on line services. Commercial services can be obtained for between $6.00 and $59.00 a month. I am not an expert in Internet communications. I will leave that to other people. We should have a combination of free Internet services and one paid service. The paid service allow for additional people to communicate at once.

Most life extension advocacy organizations are small and have little money. By working together, we can pool our resources and reach more people. More experts can also be of assistance.

It is essential that we raise money for the movement. One way of doing this is to sell things on line. In order to get customers we need a large amount of E-mail recipients. That will come from using the E-mails of our cooperating partners. They will not want to tell us the names and E-mail addresses of their members. We will have to find a way of sending out the advertisements without looking at their names and addresses. Maybe we can send it to our organizations and they can  Email the advertisements themselves.

Dr.  Kahneman, formerly from Tel Aviv, and now teaches at Princeton University, is the only Nobel Prize economist who does not have an economics degree. He is a psychologist. Dr Kahnerman wrote a book, “Thinking Fast and Slow”. In it he wrote that to change people beliefs it is necessary to reach them on a daily basis. with the same message.  We do not have the ability to do this  at the present time. What we need is to start by establishing an Internet radio station and eventually have an Internet television station. It will broadcast news and talk radio. Much of it will be devoted to life extension discussions, the need for much more medical research, in addition to regular news.

They say that about 50% of the American public listens to Internet radio weekly. Why shouldn’t we be a big player in this market? The financing of this endeavor might be accomplished with our on line sales projects. We can also ask for donations. If a group of organizations were part of an umbrella organization, each keeping their own identities, foundations can be requested for assistance. Free Apps will be distributed on line.

In 1975 I made a suggestion to the American Aging Association, which is the oldest American aging research organization in the United States, to start an aging research fund. They refused. There is no major aging research fund in America. We need one. Having an aging research fund will accomplish two objectives. It will raise money for aging research and will educate the public that something can be done about aging.

The United States spends $2,700,000,000,000 a year for medical care. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that it will cost about $4,000,000,000,000 a year for medical care by 2025. One percent of the people use 21% of the medical cost. That amounts to about $200,000 for each person. That means that !% of our people use $560,000,000,000. The top 5% of our population use $1,350,000,000 or $88,000 per person for health care. Fifty percent of the population spend only 2.8% of health care costs. That is under $500.00 per person. That comes to about $75,000,000,000. 

If all people were put in the top 50% of the health care system, current medical

Expenses would go from $2,700,000,000 to $150,000,000,000. Obviously that

Is not practical. We can aim to reduce health care cost by bringing as many people as possible into the 50% category or as close to it as possible.

We would also save hundreds of billions of dollars yearly from Social Security Disability, welfare, food stamps, special transportation, private payments for home care and nursing home care, etc. There will be less need for government assistance which liberals, moderates and conservatives want.This is a good selling point.

The National Institutes of Health budget was cut about $8,000,000,000 a year over the last few years when we take inflation into account.The Federal Government spends about $89,000,000,000 for military and space research. The government spends about $39,000,000,000 for medical research. We should at least spend the same amount of money for medical research as we spend for military and space research.

I am enclosing two articles about the breakthroughs that may be taking place with GDF11. One is a New York Time article and the other is from Science Alert.

SCIENCE Young Blood May Hold Key to Reversing Aging

By CARL ZIMMER

MAY 4, 2014

Two teams of scientists published studies on Sunday showing that blood from young mice reverses aging in old mice, rejuvenating their muscles and brains. As ghoulish as the research may sound, experts said that it could lead to treatments for disorders like Alzheimer’s disease and heart disease.

“I am extremely excited,” said Rudolph Tanzi, a professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School, who was not involved in the research. “These findings could be a game changer.”

The research builds on centuries of speculation that the blood of young people contains substances that might rejuvenate older adults.

In the 1950s, Clive M. McCay of Cornell University and his colleagues tested the notion by delivering the blood of young rats into old ones. To do so, they joined rats in pairs by stitching together the skin on their flanks. After this procedure, called parabiosis, blood vessels grew and joined the rats’ circulatory systems. The blood from the young rat flowed into the old one, and vice versa.

Later, Dr. McCay and his colleagues performed necropsies and found that the cartilage of the old rats looked more youthful than it would have otherwise. But the scientists could not say how the transformations happened. There was not enough known at the time about how the body rejuvenates itself.

It later became clear that stem cells are essential for keeping tissues vital. When tissues are damaged, stem cells move in and produce new cells to replace the dying ones. As people get older, their stem cells gradually falter.

In the early 2000s, scientists realized that stem cells were not dying off in aging tissues.

“There were plenty of stem cells there,” recalled Thomas A. Rando, a professor of neurology at Stanford University School of Medicine. “They just don’t get the right signals.”

Dr. Rando and his colleagues wondered what signals the old stem cells would receive if they were bathed in young blood. To find out, they revived Dr. McCay’s experiments.

The scientists joined old and young mice for five weeks and then examined them. The muscles of the old mice had healed about as quickly as those of the young mice, the scientists reported in 2005. In addition, the old mice had grown new liver cells at a youthful rate.

The young mice, on the other hand, had effectively grown prematurely old. Their muscles had healed more slowly, and their stem cells had not turned into new cells as quickly as they had before the procedure.

The experiment indicated that there were compounds in the blood of the young mice that could awaken old stem cells and rejuvenate aging tissue. Likewise, the blood of the old mice had compounds that dampened the resilience of the young mice.

Amy J. Wagers, a member of Dr. Rando’s team, continued to study the blood of young mice after she moved in 2004 to Harvard, where she is an associate professor. Last year, she and her colleagues demonstrated that it could rejuvenate the hearts of old mice.

To pinpoint the molecules responsible for the change, Dr. Wagers and her colleagues screened the animals’ blood and found that a protein called GDF11 was abundant in young mice and scarce in old ones. To see if GDF11 was crucial to the parabiosis effect, the scientists produced a supply of the protein and injected it into old mice. Even on its own, GDF11 rejuvenated their hearts.

Continue reading the main storyContinue reading the main story

Dr. Wagers and her colleagues wondered whether GDF11 was responsible for the rejuvenation of other tissues. In the current issue of the journal Science, they report an experiment on skeletal muscle in mice. They found that GDF11 revived stem cells in old muscles, making old mice stronger and increasing their endurance.

At Stanford, researchers were investigating whether the blood of young mice altered the brains of old mice. In 2011, Saul Villeda, then a graduate student, and his colleagues reported that it did. When old mice received young blood, they had a burst of new neurons in the hippocampus, a region of the brain that is crucial for forming memories.

In a study published Sunday in the journal Nature Medicine, Dr. Villeda, now a faculty fellow at the University of California, San Francisco, and his colleagues unveiled more details of what young blood does to the brains of old mice.

After parabiosis, Dr. Villeda and his colleagues found that the neurons in the hippocampus of the old mice sprouted new connections. They then moved beyond parabiosis by removing the cells and platelets from the blood of young mice and injecting the plasma that remained into old mice. That injection caused the old mice to perform far better on memory tests.

Dr. Wagers’s team has been investigating a specific region of the brain involved in perceiving smells.

In a second study in Science, the team reported that parabiosis spurred thegrowth of blood vessels in the brain. The new blood supply led to the growth of neurons and gave older mice a sharper sense of smell.

After linking the GDF11 protein to the rejuvenation of skeletal muscle and the heart, Dr. Wagers and her colleagues studied whether the protein was also responsible for the changes in the brain. They injected GDF11 alone into the mice and found that it spurred the growth of blood vessels and neurons in the brain, although the change was not as large as that from parabiosis.

“There’s no conflict between the two groups, which is heartening,” said Dr. Richard M. Ransohoff, director of the Neuroinflammation Research Center at the Cleveland Clinic.

Dr. Ransohoff and others hope the experiments on mice will lead to studies on people to see if the human version of GDF11, or other molecules in the blood of young people, has a similar effect on older adults.

“We can turn back the clock instead of slowing the clock down,” said Dr. Toren Finkel, director of the Center for Molecular Medicine at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. “That’s a nice thought if it pans out.”

This reversal could occur throughout the body, the new research suggests. “Instead of taking a drug for your heart and a drug for your muscles and a drug for your brain, maybe you could come up with something that affected them all,” Dr. Wagers said.

But scientists would need to take care in rejuvenating old body parts. Waking up stem cells might lead to their multiplying uncontrollably.

“It is quite possible that it will dramatically increase the incidence of cancer,” said Irina M. Conboy, a professor of bioengineering at the University of California, Berkeley. “You have to be careful about overselling it.”

Alzheimer’s patients to be treated with the blood of under-30s

ScienceAlert Staff  

Thursday, 21 August 2014

Alzheimer’s patients in the US will be given transfusions of young people's blood as part of a promising new treatment that’s nowhere near as crazy as it sounds.

Image: alexskopje/Shutterstock

This October, people with mild to moderate levels of Alzheimer’s disease will receive a transfusion of blood plasma from donors aged under 30. 

The trial, run by researchers at the Stanford School of Medicine in the US, follows their revolutionary study involving lab mice, where the blood plasma of young mice was injected into old mice, resulting in a marked improvement in their physical endurance and cognitive function. Completed earlier this year, their research, combined with independent studies by a handful of research teams around the world, pin-pointed a plasma-borne protein called growth differentiation factor 11 - or GDF11 - as a key factor in the young blood’s powers of rejuvenation.

"We saw these astounding effects,” lead researcher and professor of neurology at Stanford, Tony Wyss-Coray, told Helen Thomson at New Scientist. "The human blood had beneficial effects on every organ we've studied so far."

Getting approval for their October trial has been fairly straightforward, he said, because blood transfusion therapy has such a long history of safe use in medical procedures, but the team will still keep a very careful eye on how the patients are progressing once they’ve received the young blood. "We will assess cognitive function immediately before and for several days after the transfusion, as well as tracking each person for a few months to see if any of their family or carers report any positive effects," he told Thomson at New Scientist. "The effects might be transient, but even if it's just for a day it is a proof of concept that is worth pursuing.”

Without wanting to get ahead of ourselves just yet, if the trial ends up being a raging success and the Stanford team can prove once and for all that young blood reverses the debilitating effects of Alzheimer’s and other degenerative diseases such as cancer, we’re going to need a whole lot more donors to meet demand around the world. Or, as Wyss-Coray told New Scientist, the hope is that continued research will identify the individual components in the plasma that are contributing to the positive effects - such as GDF11 - and get these synthesised into new types of drugs.

"It would be great if we could identify several factors that we could boost in older people," he said. "Then we might be able to make a drug that does the same thing. We also want to know what organ in the body produces these factors. If we knew that, maybe we could stimulate that tissue in older people."

If this research is successful, it will be a very good selling point. It will

prove that it is possible to interfere with the aging process.

Alvin Steinberg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users