• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

What is the most important scientific challenge in cryonics?

cryonics experts

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

What is the main thing thing in cryonics that needs to be solved or clarified?

Please explain why and a little bit of background.

#2 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

The .most important thing for me is wherever the BrIan can be restored to full and proper functioning especially for those of us who have serqious neurologic meltdown and degeneration

#3 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

It can be summed up with 3 words Caliban, as you may remember I've said to you before; thawing and reanimation.

Only 2 of those words are really important.

Thawing as a process may first depend entirely on the various complexities of freezing, from cell protectants, to rate, and required temps but does not, and probably should not, have to be seen as a reversal of the freezing process (quick) as much as a process that removes and replaces as much critically damaged and dead tissue prior to reanimating the consciousness.  That process has always been assumed to be based on emerging nanotechnology but that concept itself is more complex and already can be seen to range from fully mechanistic molecules to even a radical mycological model.   The basic point is that there have been no serious successes in the reanimation process of species that do not already have some kind of natural ability to endure freezing.  I said species as reflecting whole individual members of a species, not just body parts.

Not to belabor the point too much but reanimation may also depend on actually having more than a cursory, working idea of what "consciousness" is, in order to figure out how to achieve its reanimation in a functioning mind/body relationship.

(Added as afterthought)

I know some sufferers of extreme hypothermia (including humans) have been resuscitated but these were never human victims of sustained long term deep freezing as much as a kind of death threshold suspension of BOTH life and death processes.  These provide insight into our goals but probably should not be seen as more than a bad mimicry of the hibernation process where the biology of life (metabolism) is significantly slowed but not actually stopped.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 02 September 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#4 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

Rejuvenation is surely important too. People must be rejuvenated before being reanimated

#5 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:22 AM

While I agree rejuvenation is critically important to the mission of this institute and our goals overall it is not really a critical aspect of cryo per se.

In addition to the science of cryo and meeting the requirements of the other side of the process I think it is also important to address the politics of cryo.  The politics of cryo interferes with the probability of long term outcomes.  

In states and countries that have made euthanasia legal there needs to be a push for a voluntary cryogenic option prior to death and certainly prior to complete neurogenic deterioration due to neurological diseases like Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, etc.  Being able to rebuild tissue after being thawed will not bring back lost experience, personality, and memory unless those memories can be either stored on a better non-biological substrate outside the body or the brain tissue frozen prior to being destroyed by disease.  Memory is not a function of genetics and nanotech will only be able to recover what is there at the time of suspension, not what is already lost prior to suspension.

• like x 1

#6 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

Is it possible that regrowing the brain prior to reanimation with stem cells might bring the personality back as it is the same brain? What would you advise me to do? I think perhaps I should be deanimated as soon as possible. This would be an even bigger gamble than ordinary cryonics but then again I am suffering enormously already. I am going to need some help.

#7 YOLF

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:56 AM

I can speculate if you like:

Given that extra cellular matrixes act as scaffolding and the molecular arrangement of existing/surviving cells function according to physical rules. Adding new cells, should they be a match for you, should to a reasonable degree, recreate personality and identity. However, it may be possible to repair ice damaged cells independently of adding stem cells. These repaired cells would then be further repaired providing an even higher accuracy of personality/identity.

• like x 1

#8 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

What is the main thing thing in cryonics that needs to be solved ....

Please explain why and a little bit of background.

The most important thing for now, according to me, is a mammal to be successfully cryonized and then brought back to life.

Why? Because now (2014) the cryonics is highly uncertain. If an alive mammal becomes frozen and refrozen back to life, this will be the majour proof for the cryonics, that it works. From this moment on, the stops, that stand for the cryonics will dissapear.

Sooner or later the laws will allow freezing shortly before death, since it will not be considered a murder anymore, people will be more willingly to give their savings for cryonics, the medicine develops in a high speed, and the human will become immortal, your future offsprings will resurect you. Everything will work out.

#9 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

What happend to that small company that froze a rabbits kidney, thawed it, reimplanted it and restored it to 100%?

They used some sort of liquid that didnt form large Ice crystals.

Somewhere in this forum i asked about their present situation, cant find it, any news about them?

#10 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

They were named 20th century medicine. Try to find them on internet. If they have a web page, then the address will be there.

#11 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

They were named 20th century medicine. Try to find them on internet. If they have a web page, then the address will be there.

21st century medicine. Sorry :)

Here is their contact page:

http://www.21cm.com/contact.html

#12 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

Many thanks for the contributions so far, but it should be clear that none of them attempt to present an answer within the standards expected of the 'expert' forum.   

I can offer $80 and ₮100 as and reward for a 'best answer'.  

#13 YOLF

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:38 AM

The guy who did the kidney was Greg Fany IIRC. He discusses the results of tons of trials which were conducted here:

#14 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

Many thanks for the contributions so far, but it should be clear that none of them attempt to present an answer within the standards expected of the 'expert' forum.   

I can offer $80 and ₮100 as and reward for a 'best answer'.  

Haha :) OK. I will participate in the challenge.

The most important scientific challenge in cryonics is:

How to protect the tissues from the ice crystal formation?

This is the most important part from all of the other questions, or challenges, that the cryonics ever faced and will face in the near future.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cryonics, experts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users