Tiptoe exercise while working in front of your computer

tiptoe exercise work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 michael55m

• 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

Since sedentary lifestyle is a killer, I then come up with the idea to do tiptoe exercise while working in front of your computer.

You could adjust your PC monitor, put your external keyboard in a standup desk, and do the tiptoe exercise while typing or watching.

I've been doing the exercise for quite some time, and I've removed my chair out of the room. :)

The exercise may prevent varicose vein (and perhaps osteoporosis?).  Also it trains better body balance which I think might play a critical role in preventing an accidental fall. Most importantly, the tiptoe exercise is really time saving.

So, any opinions? Any side effects of this kind of exercise?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

I boxed when I was young, and so my workouts have been boxing workouts ever since. Unfortunately, in my fifties my toes began to really hurt doing this--which involves a lot of tiptoeing--so now I still do boxing workouts but have become a flat-footed puncher. Toes, it turns out, are very delicate little fellows.

Arm reaching, I think, is very good for the lungs. And so I think it pays to sit as far away from the keyboard as possible, rather than hunch over it with your face glued to the computer screen. (Since concert pianists seem to live long lives, I type on my keyboard as if I am playing Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No 1.)

• Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 michael55m

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

I boxed when I was young, and so my workouts have been boxing workouts ever since. Unfortunately, in my fifties my toes began to really hurt doing this--which involves a lot of tiptoeing--so now I still do boxing workouts but have become a flat-footed puncher. Toes, it turns out, are very delicate little fellows.

Arm reaching, I think, is very good for the lungs. And so I think it pays to sit as far away from the keyboard as possible, rather than hunch over it with your face glued to the computer screen. (Since concert pianists seem to live long lives, I type on my keyboard as if I am playing Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No 1.)

Thank you for the suggestion. I can always learn from you!

Now here's the revision:

I've made myself a standup desk holding up the computer monitor high at eye level when I stand up. The external keyboard is placed suitable for arm reaching. -- so that I can do typing, reading or watching movies in front of the screen while standing upright.

Since long-term standing may cause varicose veins, it's better to combine tiptoeing exercise with alternating backward leg lifts. Convenient and useful. 

Walking on a treadmill may also doable, but just a little bit inconvenient.

Please feel free to critique. We are making progress step by step thanks to your contribution~

#4 Proudmoore

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

That's a brilliant idea and I would absolutely love to try it out but I work in an open space room with seven other people and I just keep wondering what would they think ;)

#5 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

That's a brilliant idea and I would absolutely love to try it out but I work in an open space room with seven other people and I just keep wondering what would they think ;)

I am sure they would find it interesting seeing you tiptoeing about the place all day. Throw in the occasional pirouette and you could pretend you are rehearsing for Swan Lake.

#6 michael55m

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Just share with them the idea that exercise is goood, even for brain health.

If you need to get permission from your boss, instead of asking "Can I exercise during working?", try asking the other way around:" Could I work while exercising? "   :)

Oh, be sure to wear cozy / suitable shoes! Women report prolonged standing with high heels might cause foot plantar fasciitis.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

This is actually a pretty good idea.  Even while sitting in a normal computer chair, I can do calf raises which will stretch my calves, and probably add some definition.  And regardless of just how effective it is, it's certainly better than doing nothing. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tiptoe, exercise, work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users