• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 11 votes

TAGsync: Operation and Discussion

tagsync theta alpha gamma synchrony training neurofeedback operation discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
707 replies to this topic

#121 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

Meditation, TAGsync, Entropy training, etc, do not improve will power or motivation for me. Perhaps it even has a negative effect in some ways, because I'm content to bask in states of abiding, improved awareness, etc.

The Brahmaviharas are one of those meditation objects, that within certain considerations (say that you're not getting it completely wrong), is impossible to burn yourself with. Pure will or intent as a neutral factor is very easy to burn yourself with, and it may readily introduce emotional dysregulation because it can lead to an attitude where we're trying to strong arm our will or intent, which creates an attitude where we're constantly in conflict with ourselves, which actually makes it harder to get things done, because there is unaddressed internal conflict regarding what we desire to do spilling over and making us more miserable. The Brahmaviharas as an attitude naturally address all forms of conflict, and naturally seem to draw upon the deepest or most genuine form of human intent.

An easy way of tracking that would seem to be prefrontal HEG training set to a kind of stable or consistent threshold (intent), and HRV training for maintaining positive or harmonious emotional affect and preventing striving, etc. Just set up two manual thresholds for these values on an 'AND' basis and they'll regulate each other. These two modes of training are supposed to be very synergistic to begin with, and they seem to come together even more harmoniously under the kind of relationship I have presented above.

Interesting, some motivational circuits are in the prefrontals and many are subcortical, you cannot directly influence any of them with NFB, but I get what you are saying. I have strength my will in the past with "goal directed mantras" but yes, it has some side effects.

An alternative could be an EEG training for "positive stress"? I know that many people here would not like the word stress (me neither) but I like positive stress, the state when you think that everything goes well, you can start working on something because you are going to be rewarded big time.

Anyway to back engineer that? There is any company making individual protocols this way? Probably you will need to have a set up with many electrodes, but could you put yourself for a few minutes in the state you want to be "all day" and from that, try to create a protocol to be in that state more of your time? I do not know much about NFB, and how easy that can be?

Also could you use HRV as feedback for preventing NFB overtraining, anyone does that?

Edited by Strangelove, 18 November 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#122 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hey umop, so when you train entropy, how do you go about it?  Is it a certain type of awareness meditation or do you have an actual EEG design you're using?  

I always do HRV breathing when I do HEG these days, and it occurs to me lately that I should probably be doing it during EEG training too--I don't think there's any sitting practice that it wouldn't enhance, although the mental task of breath counting might interfere with advanced meditative practices.  After working with it for more than a year now, though, I do occasionally find myself slipping into HRV breathing without consciously counting the breaths, so I suspect the response can be trained to be something close to fully automatic.  

Hi hza,

I have seen mixed reports on HEG on line, what is your experience from it?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#123 Crowstream

• 99 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

@umop

I agree with you that TAG Sync does not improve will power, it might even be the opposite. I feel so relaxed after TAG Sync that I feel content to rest more and daydream, this is probably an overall improvement for me since I used to be stressed out all the time and always working on something, I might have been more productive then but probably less healthy overall which I think is most important.

I dont think I have tried the entropy protocol enough to know for sure about its effects and I have not seriously practiced meditation.

I think there is some wisdom to not having extreme will power all the time, but of course it is also useful to have it when we really need it. So I think training will power in some way could be useful.

I think you are right about HEG and HRV being important tools for this, I have used both but with so many protocols to try out I stopped using them for a while. I just started doing HEG regularly again and I think it has quite strong and noticeable effects. I think it effects executive functions, such as working memory, attention, will power but I have not tested this in any quantifiable way so I dont know for sure. 

HEG and HRV are synergistic as you say, I think this may partly be because the HRV is training the autonomic nervous system on a more basic level so you can have more control over the fight or flight/stress response. The fight or flight response will deactivate the frontal lobes to a certain extent so it will decrease your executive functions. If you are stressed out all the time, then chances are you are not thinking clearly :D I think most of us have probably experienced this...

I think that having a high HRV probably means you also have more bloodflow to the frontal lobes, which is what HEG is also training so they have some similarity. I think HEG is more specific and powerful for directly increasing executive functions.

I think you may be right in thinking that training HEG and HRV will "regulate each other". My thinking here is that the heart-brain communication mainly goes through the vagal system. According to Stephen Porges, who is a leading researcher on this, the vagal system has evolved through several stages or levels (phylogenetical arangement), basicly creating a hierarchy of different functions. The levels are basicly 1. Immobilization - feigning death, can be triggered by great stress, for animals perhaps encountering predators and being unable to escape, for humans it might be traumatic experiences. 2. Mobilization - fight or flight, increases metabolic functions and cardiac output. 3. Social communication/social engagement - attuned communication through the muscles of the face, throat, ears. Now since these levels have evolved in that order, it means that an activation of the lower levels will inhibit the higher ones, so a fight or flight response will make social engagement very difficult. I think what HRV training can do for you is to increase your ability to inhibit lower level responses such as fight or flight, making activation of social engagement possible. This is usually a much healthier response, and ideally we can solve all of our problems through social engagement. Now my point about this I think is that social engagement is a higher level function in humans, and it is to a large part facilitated through the prefrontal cortex.

According to Daniel Siegel, the middle prefrontal cortex mainly has these 9 functions:

1. Body regulation

2. Attuned Communication

3. Emotional Balance

4. Response flexibility

5. Fear modulation

6. Insight

7. Empathy

8. Morality

9. Intuition

Now I think these functions are highly related to the social engagement system, and thereby also to the vagal system. I think the role of the medium prefrontal cortex may be to modulate the vagal system, and keep us on the social engagement level. So in this sense I think HEG and HRV are highly synergistic and in a sense that they regulate each other, as a good medium prefrontal cortex function will probably also mean a high HRV and good heart-brain communication, and a high HRV will probably mean good prefrontal functioning also.

Now I think this indirectly relates to things like working memory, attention and will power, because I think you probably need to be on the social engagement level of the vagal system for your working memory for example to work well for what you want to do. If you have fight or flight responses triggering all the time, then your attention will be redirected to the perceived threats of the environment. For me personally at least I used to have really bad anxiety, and this was constantly taking away all of my cognitive and emotional resources, my working memory was probably pretty bad most of the time. It was also hard to focus my attention away from my anxiety, and therefore also hard to have any will power directed towards my own goals and dreams.

As you explain the four Brahmaviharas they all sound like medium prefrontal and vagal system functions to me  :) .

@hza

My approach to multiple sessions is experimental, people seem to disagree about the optimal timing of training so I think its best to explore this and see what works. So far I have not really felt like I have overtrained, althought I havent done huge amounts of training in any one day, I think the most I have done is 2 EEG sessions and 1 HEG session in a day and that went perfectly fine, with good after effects. I would like to perhaps try a really intense day of training, kind of biocybernaut style.

According to their thinking as I guess you already know, people need to train longer sessions and massed practice is better than distributed practice. I guess that goes against most other advice in the neurofeedback world, but who knows?  :)

I keep a journal on all my training sessions, but its hard to track after-effects. Mostly I just write down what I felt during the session, settings, time and so on.

Good to know about the speakers, I dont think I could manage to do that (not yet at least) but I have a friend who might be able to help and he is also interested in the protocol  :) . I am familiar with Hardt's story, pretty cool I think that people were getting such effects even so early on in the field, when the technology probably was not as well developed as it is now. I am hoping I can replicate some of his findings  :) . I will try to send you a copy of the protocol, with a report file also that you can use to keep statistics on any alpha increase.

@Strangelove

Positive stress, sounds kind of like "flow". Have you looked into that? http://www.amazon.co...p=1416332553327

Flow has EEG correlates and it is hackable!

#124 umop 3pisdn

• 81 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:48 AM

hza, for entropy training I'm using the designs from NorthStar Neurofeedback. They seem to work quite well, it's actually my favorite protocol right now because it's so easy and relaxing where before my meditation practice was inclined a bit more towards 'striving'. In my experience the designs are very suited to concentrative meditation (while TAGsync is more suited to mindfulness meditation), but the technique I stumbled onto when using the designs was basically "samatha without an object" as described within Mahamudra meditation. At least I started a thread on the Dharma Overground forums about exactly what it was I was doing and it seems to match that description very well. It's just something I found myself doing intuitively after trying out entropy a couple of times.

http://www.dharmaove...message/5622808

(apparently I don't know how the reply system works, because the replies are kind of out of order)

For Entropy Training or TAGsync I think a breathing focus would detract, for me at least I find those two designs have a strong sort of mental focus. Like they point to certain mental characteristics that are pretty formless, so I think focusing on an object (other than 'emptiness' for entropy/concentration, or 'awareness' for TAGsync) would complicate training in a sense. For me at least they work better at pointing to these more diffuse mental qualities.

Though I'm looking into some designs by Glyn Blackett (he calls them "Mindfulness Technology") for training Mindfulness of Breathing meditation. There's a guy on the Dharma Overground forums that goes by the handle Dan Cooney that talks a lot about 'breath harmonics'. The general idea is you locate the essential muscles for breathing and streamline everything to a fine degree until a kind of optimized breathing becomes habituated and you can go for breath cycles longer than a minute. This is supposed to make it really easy to enter absorbed states like the jhanas because by calming down your breathing to such a fine degree you're also calming down your mind. Skillful breathing is bound to be good for health or general body and emotional awareness, too. So I think HRV training can factor in significantly into an advanced meditation practice, but it would probably be more something like that. I intend on adding something like that to my toolbox eventually, too.

Strangelove, I suspect you're right about motivation not being something you can pinpoint that way. I've done a bit of HEG training before, though then it was for attention, and it wasn't as clear to me as I hoped it would be. But I also think I was a bit incompetent at the time in terms of knowing exactly what my training objectives were and how to approach them. Attention also seems like it might be more complex than intent. Intuitively I'm thinking that intent might be a blunt enough phenomenon that the HEG just has to respond to the broad effect to be sufficient, precision might be unnecessary. In some ways the HEG measure being so simple (it's either high or low or somewhere inbetween) presents a nice kind of parallel to intent (it also being either high or low, etc), but I'll have to actually try it out in the next day or two to see if it actually works out the way that I hope it does.

When I was doing some research it seems like Pete Van Deusen uptrains beta and downtrains theta at Fp1 for "Motivation", but I'm a bit prone to hypomania and training beta seems to make that more likely for me. Beta training seems like it might reflect one element or one kind of positive stress, though.

I'm not sure how a set up like that might work. You probably would need an EEG with a lot of channels, and those are usually used more for research not for 'training'. A part of me thinks that complex brain states (like the kind you'd observe and try to recreate) would be too complex in their recorded form to try to recreate through training. It seems like simpler training objectives are often better. Like for me I generally try to relate what I'm training to some kind of essential mental quality, then use two or four sensors to try and track it. Some protocols can work as a kind of abstraction or adequate or close representation of that general mental quality. For me, that's actually more than I ever hoped for. Certain 'essential' mental qualities in practice often seem to be the most profound or extensive. It's kind of like how words like "is" have the longest definitions in the dictionary, while "piano" has a short one. Though admittedly my training objectives are fairly specific, mostly just to use this technology as "meditation with handrails" so I think I have some very specific and numerous blind spots in regards to this technology. But accounting for that I'd actually go so far as to say that someone applying Entropy training or TAGsync within certain reasonable limitations is meditating, whether they know it or have experience with meditation or not. Before I got involved in this stuff I imagined that sort of outcome as the best case scenario or maybe even too optimistic.

Crowstream, that's really cool, I had an intuition that social/empathetic and executive control functions were significantly related in some way, but my understanding wasn't 'there' yet, and it seems like there's more to it than I thought. This is the next thing I have to figure out. All of my current frustrations with myself involve anxiety, skillful or wholesome application of effort, and having too low of a capacity for empathy or generosity for where I 'should be' in my life. Maybe they can all be conceptualized as essentially the same thing, and tackled all at once :)

Edited by umop 3pisdn, 19 November 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#125 hza

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:45 AM

Hey umop,

I didn't realize Northstar was selling their designs or that anybody here was using it.  Guess I need to get to reading the literature I downloaded.  Off the top of my head I wonder if it would be suited for ILF/SCP training too, although for all I know that's part of the design.  Very interesting, I'll have to look into it.  Also you've got me interested in Dharma Overground now; I try to limit my board participation due to the time factor, but I find that I've been drifting more heavily into meditation and general enlightenment topics over the past several years, and accumulating a lot of texts and resources on it--but most importantly settling into an almost daily meditation routine.  Thanks for the links.

For Entropy Training or TAGsync I think a breathing focus would detract, for me at least I find those two designs have a strong sort of mental focus. Like they point to certain mental characteristics that are pretty formless, so I think focusing on an object (other than 'emptiness' for entropy/concentration, or 'awareness' for TAGsync) would complicate training in a sense. For me at least they work better at pointing to these more diffuse mental qualities.

From my much less experienced point of view, it would seem that anything requiring attention like a timed breath cycle would necessarily detract from what I'm guessing you're pursuing, i.e. some sort of nondual awareness state.  I mention it though because when I'm on one of my kicks training HRV for hours at a stretch (I plug into finger sensors while studying Anki cards at the pc) I find that I settle automatically into a timed breath loop unexpectedly while doing other things, without any mental counting taking place, or not until I notice I'm doing it anyway.  That, and the state of HRV coherence just seems intuitively like it would enhance whatever state you're pursuing via EEG in respect to meditation.  I've been reading though my Chapin Neurotherapy book (finally) and it describes coherence basically as oscillatory systems moving into synchrony (coherence)--respiratory and circulatory systems in HRV coherence, and brainwave states at various sites doing the same in deep meditation.  If all these things are in coherence at the same time, it seems like that would be immensely powerful.  Or maybe that's what you're getting at here:

Though I'm looking into some designs by Glyn Blackett (he calls them "Mindfulness Technology") for training Mindfulness of Breathing meditation. There's a guy on the Dharma Overground forums that goes by the handle Dan Cooney that talks a lot about 'breath harmonics'. The general idea is you locate the essential muscles for breathing and streamline everything to a fine degree until a kind of optimized breathing becomes habituated and you can go for breath cycles longer than a minute. This is supposed to make it really easy to enter absorbed states like the jhanas because by calming down your breathing to such a fine degree you're also calming down your mind. Skillful breathing is bound to be good for health or general body and emotional awareness, too. So I think HRV training can factor in significantly into an advanced meditation practice, but it would probably be more something like that. I intend on adding something like that to my toolbox eventually, too.

I'm reminded again of that Jim Hardt story I was talking about with Crowstream.  He found that when he was fully immersed in his Alpha state that he had to suspend breathing entirely for as long as he could stand it because the act itself would pull him back out to some fractional degree.  This 'breath harmonic' thing sounds like a potential compromise.  I already have a pretty long breathing cycle for HRV, but it still requires 3-4 cycles per minute, and of course I have to count it out still, too.

When I was doing some research it seems like Pete Van Deusen uptrains beta and downtrains theta at Fp1 for "Motivation", but I'm a bit prone to hypomania and training beta seems to make that more likely for me. Beta training seems like it might reflect one element or one kind of positive stress, though.

I was going to mention that too, but the section I read used the term "FP01," and I couldn't tell if that was a typo or possibly one of the more specialized frontal sites.  I know for instance that Sebern Fisher utilizes an upside-down electrode placement just under the ocular ridge near the corner of one of the eyes that's meant to somehow target the amygdala directly, although how that works I don't know, since the amygdala is supposed to be "invisible" to EEG (probably no pyramidal cells).  Anyway I thought maybe FP01 was some other placement so I was holding off until I could look into it. 

Anyway though the point is that van Deusen says he gets an immediate jolt of motivation from that montage, such that he has to get up and "do something" before getting through an entire sitting.  That's great, I guess, but it's not so useful to me if I have to do an EEG session every time I want to get motivated to do something.  It reminds me of reading HEG reviews by people who talk about how "focused" they are after the session--first of all, it's exercise, and if you're doing it right, if anything you should find it harder to focus afterward--but even if true, what's the use of a device that you have to put on first and sit with every time you need its benefit? Imo you'd be much better off with a nootropic intervention of some sort, if that's all you get out of it.  EEG is even worse from that standpoint.  

So maybe it's useful to know that a certain band of activity in the left frontal region is implicated in motivation, and perhaps with training over the medium term with occasional reinforcement there might be a way to create a conditioned response for boosting motivation on demand.  EEG is used for classical conditioning (alá Pavlov) in all kinds of performance applications like creating Alpha anchors for athletes to access right before specific activities, so it stands to reason that something similar might be available here too.  Maybe there's a way to take van Deusen's protocol and create an anchor for it via some repeated physical posture or gesture during the training.  Actually, that sounds quite doable.  

The other option is that HEG might increase motivation over time, and @Strangelove I'm kinda winding around to answering your question here too--although obviously I've already left an extensive record of my observations over at the Bulletproof forums, where I'm due to update again soon.  But I'll say briefly here that I'm coming to view HEG training as a very long-term sort of prospect in terms of what gains one should expect, and I think there's a fundamental misidentification of this fact out there that colors most of the commentary and reviews that you're likely to run across--including a lot of mine, as I had very little idea going in what the reality of the training effect over time would be.  But what I'm finding is that while there is a notable improvement in the 20-40 session term, it's totally unpredictable how that will manifest for the individual trainee, and the improvement itself may be in an area completely unlooked-for, to the extent that it may go unnoticed for a long time.  What I suspect is that HEG training increases ALL executive function by strengthening the PFC, but it develops very slowly over the long term in tiny unnoticeable increments, and with potential side-effects along the way making it seem at times as though you're actually getting worse.  Plus there's a time factor required to integrate and utilize the structural improvements that form in the PFC as the result of improved blood supply and flow.  

In other words, I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to anything you find by individual consumers of HEG training.  You're dealing with inexperienced users groping in the dark for a magic bullet or quick fix to a problem that they likely haven't even defined in any meaningful terms either to themselves or for you.  The only people with really clear goals that I've seen are the ones who suffer from attentional disorders, which is unfortunate because issues like that are a lot more complex than how much processing power you have on hand for decision making.  If you want to learn more about HEG though, I'd concentrate on actual clinical studies and published remarks from clinicians and developers, although unfortunately a lot of that has to be taken with a lick of salt too, like much of Hershel Toomim's ideas about training HEG at specific sites all over the head correlating to specific functions and problems.  

Everybody wants to "focus" better, or get smarter, or kick a lot of ass, but very few of them have any idea what that would look like on the ground in a day-to-day setting, aside from just feeling great and on top of things.  Here's what I think happens:  it's like sitting down at a table in Vegas and adding a fraction of a percent to your odds of winning slowly over time, like say +.05% every week.  Even from a month-to-month view, you're getting nowhere, but in a year you've increased your odds of winning at everything you do by better than 2%.  That might not seem like much in the beginning, but as the years go by, you gradually improve your lot in a global sense because you're altering for the better how you function and deal with literally everything in your life.  In 5 years you might find yourself in a very good place compared to where you started.

Anyway, it's a theory.  For my two bits, I think everybody should do HEG like they should do cardio or other essential exercise, although I'd be very measured in my approach to it as I've found that over training is a real possibility, easy to do, and difficult to recover from.  Maybe a Body By Science approach with a heavy burst once a week or so would be ideal; daily training doesn't seem to be a good idea.  But I'd recommend it to everybody and then tell them not to expect anything from it, because whatever happens it's likely not to be what they had in mind.

I've been working lately with TLC's 2-band sync design, which looks essentially like TAG but with a different interface and a more elaborate response conditioning system, that is, requiring a bit less effort on the part of the trainee although still not all that easy.  I'm a bit all over the place though because I'm wedging my EEG work in mostly at the end of the day after studying, and a lot of days I either don't finish studying with enough time to spare for EEG, or often as not I just don't finish at all.  Hopefully I'll have more to say about all that soon, but for the moment I'm out of time.

hza, for entropy training I'm using the designs from NorthStar Neurofeedback. They seem to work quite well, it's actually my favorite protocol right now because it's so easy and relaxing where before my meditation practice was inclined a bit more towards 'striving'. 

#126 Candidatus

• 144 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

^Excellent post!

Anyway, it's a theory.  For my two bits, I think everybody should do HEG like they should do cardio or other essential exercise, although I'd be very measured in my approach to it as I've found that over training is a real possibility, easy to do, and difficult to recover from.  Maybe a Body By Science approach with a heavy burst once a week or so would be ideal; daily training doesn't seem to be a good idea.  But I'd recommend it to everybody and then tell them not to expect anything from it, because whatever happens it's likely not to be what they had in mind.

I second that. I've been actually doing HEG+EEG both on a daily basis for the last 3 weeks (mostly to find out how much can I tolerate) only to find out it's not really sustainable, so I'm going to do HEG EOD/ETD and I'll see where I go from here. As for EEG, some designs feel like they can be done for hours, some are harder. But with HEG you are definitely right (although I felt enhanced focus even after the session manifested in better n-back scores, but that was in the beginning).

I've been working lately with TLC's 2-band sync design, which looks essentially like TAG but with a different interface and a more elaborate response conditioning system, that is, requiring a bit less effort on the part of the trainee although still not all that easy.

Are you talking about CON2C Sync Two-band design? Which placements? Could you post some more observations after you play with it a bit? I'm mostly interested how does it compare to TAG.

Once again, thanks for another informative post!

#127 hza

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

Are you talking about CON2C Sync Two-band design? Which placements? Could you post some more observations after you play with it a bit? I'm mostly interested how does it compare to TAG.

Yes, that's the one.  Right now I'm using some odd placements (F7/CP5, F8/CP6) because I'm working on a possible audio processing problem with language, but my intention is to use the same midline placements as the beginning TAG protocol (Fz + Pz, followed by Fz + sorta-Oz) to compare notes.  Obviously this is exactly the sort of playing around that this thread is dedicated to, so of course I'll be posting what I find once I get into it a little way.

Also atm I'm spending more time just doing 4Ch sync with Alpha and Gamma separately with the same midline placements, on the theory that it's a bit like putting TAG on training wheels, which apparently I need.  Extra time with Alpha sync should also be a good way to acclimate to meditative states, I'm guessing.  

Right now I'm up to my eyeballs with Chinese language study (4-5 hours/day) so there's not much left over for EEG work, a good bit of which is screwing around with Bioexplorer to learn how to make some design alterations that I have in mind, and to check out how some stuff works on the back end.  One thing I like about the CON2C design is the trend graph for mapping coherence and synchrony in the individual bands over time, so you get a clearer sense not just where the activity is, as with TAG Sync's spectrum analyzer, but how it all fits together.  Progress is a lot easier to track that way too.  But I still have some fundamental unanswered questions about the actual design functions and how interchangeable they are.  With the TLC design I find it much easier to use, like typical operant conditioning where I just sit quietly and pay attention to the feedback as opposed to trying to puzzle out some elusive state of consciousness; but I don't know if the end result is really the same yet, and obviously that's of primary importance.

And now on top of all that I really want to have a look at this entropy business.  Thank god for Pocket Neurobics!  This would be worse than a gambling addiction or a meth habit if I had to pay for individual sessions.

#128 umop 3pisdn

• 81 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:35 AM

The HEG + HRV design I was thinking of using works great. I just set up the HEG gain measure to a pretty gentle threshold (say 30% gain over baseline) and for HRV I used NNSD (interbeat interval standard deviation) and set it up so both have to be above threshold for the reward, and set the HEG sensor to Fpz just thinking to track the broadest shifts in blood perfusion. I think I'm much more suited to this kind of HEG training, it's not as vigorous but instead encourages a degree of gentle consistency. Generally in any sort of mental training they emphasize first consistency or stability, and then intensity. I think this makes sense as ordinarily we have to learn to stand before we can walk or run. I think it also lends it to more frequent training or mitigates the risk of overtraining, since the kind of effort being applied isn't special. I really don't see why you couldn't do something like this every day. I can also see the merit to this as an alternate form of concentration training, though of a kind linked to a more top-down intent type process. I think it tracks intent quite well. I think intent should probably be an essential part of training alongside TAGsync/awareness and Entropy/tranquility-concentration, intent here representing an active faculty contrasted against passive (entropy/concentration), and 'neither active nor passive' (TAGsync/awareness) faculties. I realize everyone is probably getting sick of my extreme meditation emphasis with this technology, but it seems like an important part of the approach to these things, at least in accordance with my experience. I'm not really sure how you guys locate the objective training variable without also having a subjective variable, they both seem kind of essential to figuring out 'what I'm supposed to be doing', imo :p Well unless it's the type of training that follows the more classic conditioning model. But to that effect I think the Brahmaviharas function as a great 'microcosm' for intent and HEG training in general.

Edited by umop 3pisdn, 24 November 2014 - 03:00 AM.

• Agree x 1

#129 Crowstream

• 99 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

@umop

Sounds like an interesting design, have you noticed any connections between HRV and prefrontal blood flow? Do they both increase at the same time?

I think the meditation emphasis is great  :) it is really quite difficult to describe what TAG Sync does mentally in ordinary language. I think the meditational disciplines have already explored this and invented names for understanding so it is a great for understanding TAG Sync also. I think having subjective variables is important, it probably increases learning if we can understand what we are doing on many different levels. Each protocol is a little bit different though, for TAG Sync the subjective state is usually quite clear for me, but with other protocols like ILF it is a lot less clear. I dont really feel like I can "do" anything to change the ILF frequency (at least not that I have noticed so far), mostly I feel like I am just sitting there, being open and observing any changes but I dont feel like I am doing much to change the outcome, it feels more like a subconscious, automatic process to me. The result from using the protocol though is usually quite consistent for me, I will feel more emotionally neutral (than for example TAG Sync which makes me feel extremely happy and emotionally engaged) and it will be more like a state of total wakefulness, or sort of optimal arousal where I am fully awake and  very focused yet not hyped up in any way, it will also make me feel very physically relaxed and calm, in general more of a bodily effect rather than emotional. Yet when I am doing the session its like these changes are coming on gradually and building up, and I dont feel like I can do much about it.

HEG and HRV have a lot more conscious involvement, I feel like intent influences both and I can control it somewhat with my subjective state, so for those I think having intent and knowing what state you are seeking is important.

In the EEG I have found that at least for me, alpha is the easiest to influence conciously. Just closing my eyes will tend to increase it quite a lot but it is also tied to my emotional and attentional state, it can be subtle but it is noticeable. Emotionally I think forgiveness and gratitude are very powerful for increasing alpha, negative emotions in general will decrease it, so you need to learn to let go if you want to increase it.

#130 hza

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:01 PM

@umop I'm lazy with my HEG training as I always just use the Peanut amp and the HEGStudio software that came with it, so I've never even tried to operate the HEG BioE design and consequently don't know how to set the various thresholds or what 30% gain over baseline feels like in practice, but from your description you make it sound pretty mild.  That being the case I wouldn't expect a daily training habit to be detrimental; if the intensity is fairly low it shouldn't be any more difficult than reading an interesting book or working on a math problem.  

In fact, I'm coming to discover new aspects to the focus state of HEG all the time.  One of Pete van Deusen's  suggestions is to take 20-30 seconds in between training blocs to do some eyes-closed relaxation with deep slow breathing as a means to diffuse the blood a bit in the PFC and reset your internal baseline before resuming at the next site.  But from the beginning it didn't work for me.  It seems that I go into a focused internal state immediately upon EC, so even if I tried to relax I would start the next session watching the video zip backwards at 90 kph because my attempts to relax had the opposite effect.  I wonder, do you watch the screen for feedback when you do HEG, or do you do a normal sitting meditation and use nonvisual cues for feedback?  And what do you do for HRV, is there an audible tone or do you just have a monitor light somewhere in your field of vision?  My HEG experience indicates to me that EC meditation can result in increased PFC activity--if anything, I'm having a rough time working out how to lower activity.  

As for meditation talk, I'm all for it.  If anything, my EEG work is inspired to a great degree by the fact that I would like to have the benefits of a solid meditation practice, but as it happens I didn't enter a Buddhist monastery at the age of 14 so I need some shortcuts.  The great meditative traditions have a lot of accumulated data and subjective-observation based consensus on internal states, and the rich vocabulary to describe and discuss them in great detail, as Crowstream mentioned above.  Imo it's a great resource to draw on when comparing nfb notes, so no complaints from me.

@Crowstream How do you generally go about training ILF?  I assume DD's manual is for use with TAG x1 but it actually appears to be written as an SMR protocol guide.  I've been through it twice, or almost through the second time, and I don't recall any mention of CFC anywhere.  Are you using this design for ILF, and if so, do you have favorite sites for training, do you pair it with other frequencies, etc?  I have yet to do any ILF work and I'm at somewhat of a loss where to begin.  

And do any of you know anything about inflammation from nfb-driven neuroplasticity?  This Chapin book says it can be a detrimental factor if nfb is done more than 2x/week, and I try to train every day if I can, although not necessarily the same protocols.  Wondering if this is something to be concerned about.  I have noticed that if I'm not able to train with a given protocol for 2-3 days in between, I tend to perform noticeably better when I get back to it.  There's so much work and screwing around to do, I don't want to take time off if it's avoidable, but too much of a good thing is still too much, so I thought I'd see how the rest of you approach it.  Also, what supplements do you know of to help with neural inflammation?  The book mentions NAC, which I'll make a point to order soon, but aside from that I know plenty of general anti-inflammatory agents, but not necessarily anything especially brain-oriented.  

Sorry for all the questions today, I'm not normally so needy :) or I hope not.

#131 Crowstream

• 99 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

@hza

Yes I use the TAG x1 for ILF, I had to change a few things though. First of all I lowered bandpass filter 1 to 0.01-58hz, not sure if you can get it to go lower and I am not sure if this is optimal or not for ILF, but I figured you need to lower this since it is usually at 1hz I think and that will block out the ILF. Then I changed bandpass filter 2, which is for reward 1 to 0.01hz-0.50Hz, maybe you can get it lower to something like 0.01-0.2Hz or something like that, but this is what I ended up using and I think it has been working.

In the description for bandpass filter 3 (reward 2) it says "If you only want to use a single reward frequency, e.g., ultra-low or SMR, simply keep the thresholds of this instrument at zero so no feedback information is passed to the client regarding an additional band. Otherwise you can choose a frequency that influences cross-frequency coupling."

I decided to use it for cross-frequency coupling and I had read some articles on how delta is important for many things including neuronal repair, so I decided to use 1-3hz on this one.

I also added audio players for each reward and I play an audio track with the volume coupled to the amplitude of the reward frequencies, this goes against the original design a bit I guess, but I thought it would provide more information to the brain about the brainwaves so it would help the feedback process.

I know that the Othmers have mentioned that the operant conditioning theory for neurofeedback breaks down a bit in the ILF range, I think this is because these slows frequencies sometimes makes it very difficult to reward or inhibit the peaks and troughs of the wave, so you cant really say its operant conditioning. Its more along the lines of "the brain receives ongoing information about its state through the feedback", so I think a continuous feedback signal is probably better in this range.

I guess this becomes more applicable with the really slow frequencies that the Othmers use, where sometimes a peak and trough of the wave can take hours or even days! I think training this slow is probably not possible yet in bioexplorer however.

My favorite site so far is T3-T4 and T4-T3 (I am not sure if there is a difference but sometimes I put the red electrode on T3, other times on T4). I have not really tried other sites though so I cant really say much except that training the temporal lobes has worked well for me. So far it has made me feel very grounded, calm and balanced. I think the guide has lots of recommendations for different sites as you probably already noticed, so I have a lot of options to explore there in the future  :) .

Douglas Dailey has worked out a theory called the synaptic recidivism theory, you can read more about it here and download a pdf http://www.cortexerc...Neuroprotection

He links to an article there called "Neuroinflammation and synaptic plasticity" which proposes a close link between inflammation and neuroplasticity, which I think supports the notion that neurofeedback may induce some inflammation in the brain through neuroplasticity. I think this means you could increase the effects of neurofeedback by lowering inflammation in general (from non-adaptive sources). In his article I think he mentions glutathione and NAC so I suppose you could try those. I think glutathione is made from selenium in the body so you could also try increasing selenium levels (generally an underestimated nutrient in my opinion  :) ) I think the best source is brazil nuts. Doing neurofeedback just 2x a week seems a bit cautious to me, but maybe cutting down on sessions could be a good experiment to observe the differences over time. I think people in general are usually eating quite inflammatory diets so perhaps you can train more if you are careful about your nutrition and lifestyle in general.

I think Douglas is working on some new stuff that will also include these lifestyle aspects of neurofeedback training, like for example using adaptogens. I think that might be something to look into, I have not experimented with this so I dont know much about it yet!  :)

#132 Candidatus

• 144 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

Don't really want to intrude your great discussion guys, but... I'm about to place an order with DD for the TAG-Sync protocol(s) and I'm hesitating between only 2-channel or both - 1-channel for the ILF included. I have the TLC7 protocols so if there is any way to do the ILF with any of those, it would be better to keep the $100 difference, but I have absolutely no idea if it is possible. Actually, the whole concept of ILF seems a bit like homeopathic medicine to me (not that there is anything wrong with it, just that I don't get it either). I would really appreciate any input from someone who also uses the TLC designs. Thank you!

#133 Crowstream

• 99 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

@Candidatus

I have not used TLC7 so I cant really answer about that. I do know that it is possible to also do ILF with TAGx2, I altered the protocol a bit before to work for ILF. The Othmers actually talk about using 2-channels for ILF if I remember correctly, they think it makes the inhibits work better. I think it was a little bit annoying to use however, at least with the setup I use. I am using different electrodes for ILF, the big detachable plate electrode type because I read that those would be more suitable for ILF training, with ordinary electrodes you have a problem of "electrode drift" or something at those lower frequencies. These big electrodes are kind of annoying to also put on your ears, so using just 3 of them is much easier...

I ended up using the 1-channel design because of this, but I am sure it also works with a 2-channel setup with a little tweaking in bioexplorer.

• like x 1

#134 hza

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

@Crowstream I believe I've read somewhere that the Q-WIZ will detect down to .01 Hz, or I've read that as a lower limit of some sort.  I've searched the web for resources and findings on ILF, but unfortunately (for me) it looks as though most of the research is published in German.  I might follow your lead on using media player objects for rewards; the way they're set up by default doesn't seem very effective for me even at the normal frequencies. 

He links to an article there called "Neuroinflammation and synaptic plasticity" which proposes a close link between inflammation and neuroplasticity, which I think supports the notion that neurofeedback may induce some inflammation in the brain through neuroplasticity. I think this means you could increase the effects of neurofeedback by lowering inflammation in general (from non-adaptive sources). In his article I think he mentions glutathione and NAC so I suppose you could try those. I think glutathione is made from selenium in the body so you could also try increasing selenium levels 

That's what I'm reading in the Chapin book too.  They're associated with DD in some way, and quote him a few times in the (first half at least) of the book, so probably they're citing his theory.  Glutathione, or an effective sublingual form of it, is a bit out of my price range but I have some NAC/R-ALA I've capped on the hopes of encouraging glutathione production, although I gather it's not certain whether that really works or not, or to what extent if so.  I supplement daily with turmeric and vitamin C, and now that you mention adaptogens I recall that astragalus may be a good supplement to take too--and luckily I can get the fresh herb here dirt cheap.  Unfortunately I have to keep selenium low because as I understand it, you're supposed to balance it with iodine and I'm allergic to that.

In any event I don't think I'll be limiting my nfb to 2x a week, and am probably going to continue daily sessions when possible.  From what I understand it seems as though the inflammation effect occurs in the trained areas, so maybe switching back and forth between fairly discrete sites--say, midline training days alternating with ILF at the temporals--would be an acceptable way to go about it.  

@Candidatus I have a hard time making a recommendation.  So far I haven't had any use out of my TAG x1 design despite asking DD directly at least twice how to use it (so far he's not answered my questions).  However if you get the design bundle there is a substantial discount and you get the Bipolar/ILF protocol guide with it, and that's a useful and extensive resource--not worth $100 by itself, but nice to have as a bonus.  Honestly though, I don't know why you couldn't use the x2 design in just one channel if that's what you wanted to do.

As far as the TLC7 protocols, the limitation comes from the equipment and not Bioexplorer or the designs, so you can change the bandpass filters in your TLC7 designs to any thresholds you want.  I haven't tried it yet though and probably won't be for a while yet, but there's no reason why you can't.  Maybe try CON1C Sync 2-Band and use the settings Crowstream indicated and see if it works.  I'd do it myself but I already have other training protocols to keep me busy through the next several weeks.

• like x 1

#135 Candidatus

• 144 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

Thank you both!

@hza

Are you currently training with the "Whole brain training" plan? I'm doing my 5th round so far, I like it and my plans are to carry until I feel very comfortable with the designs. If you can remember, how many rounds did you do until you decided to play with individual designs and tweak them yourself? Also, did the training complement your TAG sessions well?

As for the neuroinflammation, I'm currently following a ketogenic diet and I found a new book (2014) - Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in Neurological Disorders: Effects of Lifestyle, Genes and Age where they talk about link between those two: http://books.google....mmation&f=false

Excerpt: Ketogenic diet not only modulates ATP-sensitive potasium channels and enhances purinergic and GABAergic neurotransmission, but it also increases BDNF expression and attenuates neuroinflammation. In addition, it also promotes an expansion in bioenergetic reserves and facilitates the stabilization of the neuronal membrane potential through improved mitochondrial function. These processes exert neuroprotective and antiepileptogenic properties.

Edited by Candidatus, 25 November 2014 - 11:32 AM.

• like x 1

#136 hza

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

I have a TLC plan, but the "circuit training" model they encourage now wasn't so established when I did my assessment, or if it did I misunderstood the instructions.  What I did instead was just started with the first montage and did it every time until I felt I was done with it.  Eventually I learned to read the trend graph to understand when the pattern was holding.  I got the TAG designs sometime back in the spring and didn't finish up the TLC, and only just resumed with the last montage (the fifth one) a couple of months ago, and have been working mainly with it although I slip some other work in there too.  

I haven't had such good results from TAG yet, although I've learned to boost my Alpha pretty reliably, whether EC or EO.  I still need to learn how to do a specific alteration in Bioexplorer that I have in mind but I'm just never finding the time from one day to the next.  So in the meantime I've been screwing around with Brain-trainer's sync designs to try to gauge their effect, but it's all really experimental.  

Once I finish up with this 5th TLC montage, I'm going to cycle through the entire plan a few times just to make sure my previous training has held up, and then I'll probably do another assessment with them to see what changes have happened.  After that I don't know, I might start a new TLC plan or focus exclusively on TAG and ILF.  As it is, I think I have enough to stay busy through the new year and well into January.

I already try to follow a ketogenic diet but most of the time I don't seem to be in ketosis.  I may be getting too many carbs in daily through vegetable sources and the small amount of honey I consume.  Once the new Bulletproof book comes out I plan to get much stricter about food intake; this past year has been a good time for me to gradually get used to certain things like eliminating all wheat products.  Now that I've established that habit, I think I can handle some further tightening up.

Thank you both!

@hza

Are you currently training with the "Whole brain training" plan? I'm doing my 5th round so far, I like it and my plans are to carry until I feel very comfortable with the designs. If you can remember, how many rounds did you do until you decided to play with individual designs and tweak them yourself? Also, did the training complement your TAG sessions well?

As for the neuroinflammation, I'm currently following a ketogenic diet and I found a new book (2014) - Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in Neurological Disorders: Effects of Lifestyle, Genes and Age where they talk about link between those two: http://books.google....mmation&f=false

Excerpt: Ketogenic diet not only modulates ATP-sensitive potasium channels and enhances purinergic and GABAergic neurotransmission, but it also increases BDNF expression and attenuates neuroinflammation. In addition, it also promotes an expansion in bioenergetic reserves and facilitates the stabilization of the neuronal membrane potential through improved mitochondrial function. These processes exert neuroprotective and antiepileptogenic properties.

#137 Crowstream

• 99 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

@Candidatus

I am reading through the Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in Neurological Disorders book now, its great stuff!

Ketosis seems to be a great tool in combination with neurofeedback, I am going to have to get more serious about being in ketosis more often  :) . Like hza I am waiting for the bulletproof diet book to improve my diet further but I guess I might as well start now with some small changes.

I have also been slacking a bit with my exercise so I am going to have to improve that also.

I want to get the maximum effect possible out of all this neurofeedback training so I might as well use all of the tools that are available for me I suppose  :) .

#138 hza

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:36 AM

FYI I just learned a few days ago in the brain-trainer group that Bioexplorer only works down to .1 Hz, although the Q-WIZ will detect much lower frequencies.  That comes from Pete van Deusen and George Martin (who does the Northstar entropy designs).  They say you need Bioera software to take advantage of the QW's ILF capabilities.  I guess you can change the Bioexplorer settings to anything you want, but be advised that it might not be doing what you think it's doing.

• Informative x 1

#139 Candidatus

• 144 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

@hza

Thanks, that's valuable information. But doesn't it mean that even with TAGX1 and BioExplorer, doing ILF right is just a "hit and miss"? Doesn't concern me that much since I ordered only TAGX2, but still...

#140 whiskeytango67

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hey guys,

I've been following this thread for a little while and hoping to get off the ground with my own TAG Sync training. I've purchased a Q-wiz, bioexplorer, and electrodes as well as the TAG designs, however am not sure I'm getting a good signal.

After much fussing over electrode site preparation and placement, I don't know how to tell whether the reading quality is good. Despite watching a few videos on this, I still don't feel I have the "eye for" it, and can still see blink artifact when an electrode is over my PFC (even when it's set seemingly far back off my forehead).

How did those of you who bought your own, similar systems for personal use learn to get a good signal? I've enlisted DD's help but unfortunately he's away for a few weeks and I'd really like to get started with this ASAP.

I'm not sure it's even worth trying to train until I'm reasonably confident that the reading is good. Fortunately I've also been able to obtain a nIR HEG device so at least I have something productive to do in the meantime.

Would much appreciate any thoughts you have on this.

Thanks and best regards,

W

P.S. I'm eager to reap the benefits of NFB, although this has taken a lot more time and patience than I had imagined!

#141 hza

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

@Candidatus You can reliably train down to .1 Hz using Bioexplorer, at least.  Below that couldn't be considered true ILF training if the signals coming in aren't measured accurately--that kinda ruins the whole feedback effect.  Maybe something beneficial still happens, but for my part I think I'd rather have a more solid handle on it.  If I understand your question right, it would seem that trying to use TAG and Bioexplorer to run ILF is more of a "miss or miss" proposition.  The other guys seem to be getting a positive effect from it, but who knows what to call it.  I would trust what Pete says on this; he's the most vocal supporter of the Q-WIZ I've seen who doesn't work for Pocket Neurobics, and obviously he knows Bioexplorer and its limitations enough to know what thresholds it can handle. 

@WTF In general you can tell your signal quality from the oscilloscope panels--in TAG x2 these are 2 boxes in the center of the screen labeled Ch1 and Ch2.  I'm not 100% certain about DD's designs but usually you judge the signal quality by the thickness of the line:  in this case, a thinner line is more desirable.  If the lines in the oscilloscopes resemble eyebrows, you've got a bad signal.

Unfortunately you're going to get some artifact if you're training on the forehead with EEG.  That's one of the reasons HEG is preferred for training those sites.  EEG is good on the areas just on the periphery of the PFC--F3/F4 and F7/F8--but if you want to do TAG at FPz, you'll need to keep your eyes as still as possible.  One trick for this is to keep your eyes half-lidded so as to avoid the need to blink often.  You also need to keep all the facial muscles are relaxed as possible because noise from them will creep into your signal too. 

It's probably better to stick with Fz as your most frontward site for now.  You'll probably have your hands full enough just learning the basics, which are hard enough with TAG as it is, especially without guidance from DD.

• Informative x 1

#142 Crowstream

• 99 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

@WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot67

If you take a screenshot of the raw EEG and the spectrum analyzer I can take a look at it if you want.

In general I think it can be ok to train with a somewhat noisy signal, its hard to get it perfect sometimes. The theta and alpha frequencies are harder to get artifact in so even if you have a noisy signal these frequencies can still be fine.

I have trained about 5 different people so far and some people have hair that makes it a bit difficult to get a good signal, perhaps if you have trouble getting a good signal try it somewhere where you have less hair  :) .

The forehead is good in that regard but more trouble with eyeblink and movement artifacts.

I have found that electronic equipment can disturb the EEG measurements quite a lot, it is usually in higher frequencies though like 50hz or 60hz and you usually dont train those frequencies so its not a huge problem.

I will usually move the screen and computer as far away as I can comfortably still see the feedback.

Wearing headphones can also be a problem, especially if you use your earlobes for references. If you are using headphones then try without to see if it makes a difference.

In the spectrum analyzer, you can see if some activity is very persistant and doesnt change then it probably is not your brainwaves because they change all the time.

Muscle tension might also be a problem, but usually Fz and Pz are harder to get muscle artifacts in.

Hope that helps  :) .

• Informative x 1

#143 whiskeytango67

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

Crowstream and hza, many thanks for your quick reply to this. Those are all great points.

I'm going to try moving around electronics and won't fret too much when training alpha and theta waves.

I've also attached two screenshots of my best attempts at a good signal. Should you have any further thoughts on this, they would be most welcome.

One more quick question- how necessary is nuprep? Brain-trainer.com told me it was critical, and I'm going to order some to try and improve my signal quality, but I haven't heard much talk of this so I'm curious about assessments from anyone who's used it before or hasn't used it but has no problems with signal quality.

Thanks again,

W

Attached Files

#144 Crowstream

• 99 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

Channel 1 looks like a noisy signal, probably of a higher frequency. Channel 2 looks pretty normal.

In the spectrum analyzer in picture 1 it looks like the activity is spread out over all frequencies, which looks more like a realistic signal (50hz noise from electronics would for example show up as a clear line) it is also spread out over time, occuring in bursts which more resembles brain activity or some other kind of biological signal, like muscle tension.

In picture 2 it suddenly stops in the middle, that seems to indicate that it is some artifact since I think the brain would probably not shift its pattern so radically.

I have seen similar things in my EEG when training and usually I have still been able to train without much of a problem, I think the brain can probably filter out some noise in the signal and still get some benefit from the feedback.

It looks like you are using the 4-channel mode on the Q-wiz, I dont know if it matters but I usually use the EEG mode (nr 2) which is for 2-channel setups.

I can show you an example of a recording I made before on F3-F4-P3-P4, I think it was a pretty good recording so it is mostly artifact free.

Attached Files

• Informative x 1

#145 hza

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:43 PM

My understanding is that you can run the QW in 4-channel mode regardless of how many you're actually using, and that this is generally beneficial because the sampling rate is much higher in 4ch mode.  I don't know why they would design it that way, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's set up.  I'll try to find specifics.

• Good Point x 1

#146 whiskeytango67

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:28 AM

Thanks guys, much appreciate your thoughts on this.

I was emboldened by your comments to crack open the TAG 2 channel quiet reward design and give it another go this evening. Simple but critical question: am I really supposed to just sit there and watch what my mind/brain is doing? I feel like I can't really tell what's going on.

I know OpaqueMind's first post in this forum mentioned a few directives: "try various non-physical techniques to increase the silence of BioExplorer. Be sure not to tense facial muscles....Either create a state of passive awareness and be mindful of the training's goal, which is the silence of BioExplorer, or actively attempt ways of increasing the signal/time spent in silence."

Tonight I tried this for ~20 minutes straight and didn't get a single phase reset, which I believe is a key indicator that the protocol is having its intended effect (although I could be 100% wrong about this).

I could work on not tensing facial muscles.. I do tense them out of habit and even NFB aside, forget to relax them despite my intentions to... does this affect just the signal quality though, or the quality of the overall TAG Sync experience?

Last, on HEG: any hacks anyone would like to share on training nIR HEG using brain-trainer's 'Life' game are most welcome. I trained a few sites tonight the worst of which was with the little white dot over my left temple... My HEG ratio literally flatlined for a full 8 minutes until I gave up.

It was the first site I trained and I did a little HRV training beforehand. Then I turned on 'Life', tried focusing first on the area under the dot, then on the screen, and then simply willing the brain-runner to ascend: all were, as I mentioned, ineffective methods of getting the little guy (I'll call him Hank) to climb.

I haven't trained HEG every day so I don't think it's burnout. I got the headband Saturday (it's Tuesday night here) and had a great, ~30 min training session consisting of four sites: over each the left and right temple, and over each the left and right eyebrow. I also trained the over-eyebrow sites again for a total of about 10 minutes Monday morning... then had this session tonight.

It's a fun game and I really wanted (want) a sense of progress, but I know overtraining is a risk so I've tried to avoid it.

My experience so far is that the little brain-runner's ascension does not exactly correlate with the experience I'd label as "single pointed focus," which is what I expected to be training with HEG. At times Hank's movements seem frankly random.

Anyway, my sense is that I have a lot of headway (he he) to make with both of these modalities. I'm grateful for this forum and others (including Bulletproof) as a way to learn about this stuff.

#147 Meggo

• 93 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:12 AM

some HEG tips for climbing

-lean forward, as close to the screen as u can

-maximise the the flash player window, make it as big as u can

- point of focus (could be different for the different training spots)

-> feet of the moving figure

-> some small white structure inside of the brain

-> the brain itself and its red color

-> some other static point near the right side of the screen while concentrating on the moving brain in your visual periphery

-> for Fp2 u can also try other things like the feeling of metta (google it if u dont know what it is)

how to focus

-> make the picture as clear as possible; colors should be vivid; 

-> don't focus on the feeling of focusing; if u focus on the feeling of focusing/ effort your focus is not on the figure and will oscillate between these two points which will lower your AI score

-> dont think, analyze after the training

-> relax

#148 Meggo

• 93 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

regarding ILF i have some german NFB book were the recommended reward frequency for ILF is 0,1mHz 

if this is true then Bioexplorer is off by a factor of 1000...

#149 Johan Pietro

• 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

Yes, Meggo, the only two "true" ILF protocols that make use of their DC-coupled amps right now are the Othmer's Cygnet and Mark Smith's ISF on Brainmaster.  Cygnet is a skin running over BioEra, and ISF on Brainmaster requires that you attend a specialized training.

• Informative x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert

#150 Meggo

• 93 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:42 AM

so if bioexplorers limit is 0,1Hz, then does ayone know if it is even necessary to use the qWizs freeze offset mode? because if i use it the feedback often crashes or behaves strangely...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tagsync, theta, alpha, gamma, synchrony, training, neurofeedback, operation, discussion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users