- - - - -

Thyroid Support Supplements: Lowering TSH

tsh levels thyroid support tsh

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Ripper

• 97 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

I got half way through making a post and realised it's better split up into two parts.

Here I'd just like to get some opinons on the validity of so-called "thyroid support" supplements. I was told to take a specific one twice a day by my doctor in order to lower TSH levels. Whilst mine weren't elevated he did want to get them lower, I think to err on the side of caution. Especially given my age and how it tends to get progressively worse with age. 

It did appear it was helping to lower TSH levels and possible increase testosterone, albeit questionably. The problem with making these conclusions is it's likely this would've occured without supplementation as both of these were affected by a previous drug I was just coming off.

So to cut to the chase: Are these generic thyroid support supplements worth using to lower TSH? If not, what supplements would be worth considering? Or should I just look into taking a low dose of actual medication?

#2 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

I lowered my TSH from 4.5 to 1.7 by taking 200 mcg of iodine daily along with a 1/2 grain of Armour natural thyroid extract.
The iodine is in the form of a kelp pill

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

You could try a small amount of iodine, perhaps smallish amount of some minerals, and see if it helps. I wouldn't really expect that to lower TSH much, if at all, though, unless you were really deficient to begin with.

What was your TSH level and what level does your doctor wish you to reach? Did you have high hashimoto antibodies?

You should never change your regimen if looking to see if any specific thing is helping or not. It's odd that your doctor would recommend anything to you until you had a proper baseline, meaning levels tested after you were off of that other medication.

If it was me, I'd drop the supplement, get retested in like 3 months and go from there. If truly high-ish, just see an endo and ask if a small amount of T4 is warranted.

Edited by nameless, 17 August 2014 - 09:36 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 The Ripper

• Topic Starter
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

Hi there,

I have all my test results in a big folder but I believe TSH was around 1.6-1.8. I ended up getting it to 1.0 or 0.8 at some point after starting this, then it was back up in my most recent test.

I was never tested for hasimoto antibodies.

Waiting for the other medication to wear off was probably just not practical. The effects linger for well over a year, and since my TSH levels weren't critically bad it was just a little something that would hopefully lower it a bit more.

I like your idea about seeing if a small amount of t4 is warranted. I actually saw an endo already and he looked over all my values and didn't feel it warranted doing anything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tsh levels, thyroid support, tsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users