- - - - -

Vision-centric "nootropics"?

vision nootropic nootropics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Axmann8

• 63 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

I'm looking for ways to improve my my vision through supplementation.

I've read positive things about coluracetam and noopept as far as visual enhancement go, but I'd like something with a little bit longer research history.

#2 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

General eye health or do you seek mitigation of specific ocular issues? Lutein is a good start I'd suppose.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Bateau

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:24 AM

Really depends on which underlying conditions are causing visual issues or if you're just trying to augment vision above baseline.

For example CDP choline, Vinpocetine, Ginkgo biloba, Picamilon, bilberry and more all showed promise to improve vision in glaucoma IIRC.

CDP Choline & Fish oil should have as positive effects on optic nerves as they do on the rest of the brain, see this thread for more info

Sorry would dig up references but very busy.

Edited by Bateau, 18 August 2014 - 01:33 AM.

#4 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

NGF eyedrops may improve outcomes of old age vision related illness.

http://www.scielosp....ss/v45n4/14.pdf

http://consumer.heal...age-629599.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Dan1976

• 49 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

What I do to have very good vision

My vision stack - take for at least 2 months every day because most of the components take some time to build up and "kick in":

- retinyl palmitate (preformed vitamin A) 2500 UI per day - do not exceed 10000 UI per day because higher doses can be toxic for the liver

- carotenoid complex with lutein, beta-caroten, licopene, etc (Jarrow CarotenAll, 1-2 softgels per day)

- astaxanthin with lutein and C3G (LEF MacuGuard Ocular Support). Astaxanthin is very protective especially during summer months. It protects the retina (and the skin) against strong light. The C3G helps with night vision.

- high quality DHA at least 750 mg/day (Nordic Naturals XtraDHA or Nordic Naturals Omega Vision which also contains lutein).

Note regarding lutein: more than one of the supplements I take contain this ingredient. I believe I need a high dose taken over a long time in order to gain benefits. Lutein is more bioavailable if it is disolved in fat.

- full spectrum E complex (tocotrienols + tocopherols) taken at the same time as the DHA (LEF Gamma E Tocopherol/Tocotrienols, 1-2 softgels per day). Vitamin E helps protect the DHA from peroxidation and the tocotrienols also help vision.

- taurine 1-3 g taken at night: it is an important component of the retina, prevents cataract and glycation and helps you sleep. High doses can cause depression.

Taurine is used in energy drinks to calm the caffeine induced jitters and agitation. By itself it will NOT give you energy but calm you down.

- benfotiamine 100 - 150 mg, helps protect the optic nerve

- R-Alpha Lipoic Acid (I am a fan of small dosages of this simply because I can't stand high doses) 

- idebenone: very powerful with immediate effect, helps protect the retina and the optic nerve from free radical damage, is prescribed for serious eye diseases together with DHA and retinyl palmitate. I have seen studies where 600 mg were used for 6 months. I only take idebenone when driving for many hours. Its effects have been immediate and very good for me, but the same effects can be obtained over the long term using vitamin E complex and other antioxidants I describe above. Since 

- Billberry - can help with repairing small blood vessels which is very important for good vision. I use the LEF brand and take it every day.

- Blackcurrant - contains C3G which helps night vision. I use the Jarrow brand.

- Vinpocetine or Ginkgo Biloba: increases circulation to the eye. 20 mg of time released vinpocetine is wonderful. However, I don't take this anymore because I don't feel it brings me enough benefits right now.

- Vitamin C - I take 1 g/day of Pureway-c and I also use ascorbyl palmitate (fat soluble vitamin C) from time to time

- Zinc and copper

Behavior:

1. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to keep high blood pressure under control. I use amlodipine + perindopril, it's a very good combination. If you have a blood pressure over 120/80, go to a competent doctor and ask him what to take.

2. Always wear a good pair of polarizing sunglasses during the summer months. Especially when driving.

3. If you work on the computer a lot, use the best monitor you can afford. The same with tablets, phones, etc. Make a good display your first priority. (Dell UltraSharp series)

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vision, nootropic, nootropics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users