• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Ginkgo inhibits TSPO - but only the one involved with Cortisol/Stress

ginkgo biloba translocator protein tspo peripheral benzodiazpine receptor cortisol testosterone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 agwoodliffe

• 120 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

TSPO, or the Peripheral Benzodiazepine Receptor is involved with synthesis of cortisol, but also with testosterone & the immune system. When I read that Ginkgo blocked this, I was concerned.

Then I read Ginkgo had no appreciable effect on testosterone or the immune system (if anything, it enhanced them) which really confused me.

Then I read this study, which documented that although it blocked TSPO in the Adrenals (ie. the one responsible for generating Cortisol), it didn't have any effect on TSPO in the rest of the body.

The scientists reckon this is the reason why the herb is used to 'help people cope with daily-stress'.

I swear, the more I research these herbs, the more fascinating they get.

Attached Files

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

In my experience, ginkgo does nothing to help me 'cope with daily-stress'.  (why the dash?  Friend of MisterE?)   The only thing gingko does for me is spike my blood pressure.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:06 AM

The only thing gingko does for me is spike my blood pressure.

I get that as well.

#4 agwoodliffe

• Topic Starter
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Fair enough. Everyone to their own. I'm just going by what the literature says

#5 agwoodliffe

• Topic Starter
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

I have come to suspect that Ginkgo may indeed be one of the most potent anti-stress substances out there (naturally anyway). It seems to be the only one that actually stops the synthesis of stress hormones.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 stan08

• 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Deleted

Edited by stan08, 26 January 2015 - 01:57 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ginkgo, biloba, translocator, protein, tspo, peripheral, benzodiazpine, receptor, cortisol, testosterone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users