• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What's your take on this paper about hair loss?

mpb

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twinkly

• 73 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

Hi everyone,

This report about the supposed real reason, according to the author, men lose their hair that I'm bringing to light on here as a point of discussion, which has haunted me ever since I read it a few years ago, hasn't had much attention paid to it, whether noteworthy or not.

I simply wonder whether or not it carries any merit? I had, for the longest time, thought sources of estrogen, when causing DHY levels to get lowered, are what halt hair loss in men. 

http://www.totalityo...n_lose_hair.htm

• like x 1

#2 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

I am in no way qualified to give this opinion a thumbs up or down, but Dr Wong's argument does seem novel and logical.

We certainly don't have bald teens growing hair as they age!

I do hope that people more qualified than myself chime in with their opinions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 twinkly

• Topic Starter
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

Excuse the slight typo there, at the end. Of course it's meant to be "DHT."

#4 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

I have experienced hair loss. I have used topical 2% Nizoral and 5% minoxidil to reduce DHT in my scalp, primarily the crown. Over the past 5 years this strategy has worked well to essentially eliminate additional hairloss. I am 53, and had prior hair loss. At various times I have used Finasteride to reduce DHT, and I have used various AI's to reduce Estrogen. But I am no expert, and can't speak well to all the paths the various hormones convert to. But I will say that the author's assertion that reducing estrogen will increase testosterone does not seem plausible to me. I go to the gym 5 days a week, and my observation is that more than 70% of the guys I suspect dose heavy steroids have Vin Diesel's hairline (or lack there of). So my observations are not consistent with the author's either. One of the problems with arguments like this is that there is no data to refute it, as it is a hassle, and expensive,  to have one's estrogen levels checked on a regular basis.

#5 twinkly

• Topic Starter
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

JohnD60, Yeah, this report, or any of a similar kind, isn't easy to discredit out of hand, nor rebut for that matter when there isn't to set it against.. Although, the fact that I had though for the longest time thoughtthat going -- orally -- against the grain in choosing phytoestrogens as a means of preemptively taking action against the onset of hair loss spurred on by the release of free T conversation into DHT has now been completely debunked by this. Whether or not it's true, we'll have to see -- or not, really. For now, though, I'll err on the side of caution.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mpb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users