• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

New Longevity Research Video suggestions to Calico Google Genentech)

longevity calico calico google genentech

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

20 or 40 new public domain longevity technologies are suggested to Calico the google funded longevity company at this video.

I urge responses, it is likely that Calico Google will read your comments or even better your video responses to this video. 

Also it notes a download link to a large number of public domain beneficial technologies that are new as far as I know.

Visit to download numerous new public domain technologies

http://www.tinyurl.c...hnologiesatmega

publicdomaintechnologyfilesonlineatmegac

Longevity

Edited by treonsverdery, 20 August 2014 - 07:58 PM.

• like x 1

#2 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

Yee ... there is an awful lot "Myths and Legends of the Primitive Prolongevists" here ... neither metformin, nor deprenyl, nor enterosorption have been shown to extend lifespan in normal, healthy animals by independent scientists (vs. work on deprenyl by the then-patent owner); castration has very modest effects on lifespan in mammals; etc.

It's problematic enough that companies market a lot of this stuff and sadly many individuals uncritically dose themselves; let's not put wild geese in the path of a player as potentially important as Calico and ask them to join the chase.

Edited by Michael, 20 August 2014 - 09:34 PM.

• Good Point x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 treonsverdery

• Topic Starter
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

I appreciate the reply.  Each of these looks well or partially supported.

Hi I urge you to describe source material.  While I am looking around this moment 

Metformin

Note SHR are hypertensive mice, my perception is that there is also a normal mouse longevity pubmed PMID.

PMID 18728386

Here we show the chronic treatment of female outbred SHR mice with metformin (100 mg/kg in drinking water) slightly modified the food consumption but decreased the body weight after the age of 20 months, slowed down the age-related switch-off of estrous function, increased mean life span by 37.8%, mean life span of last 10% survivors by 20.8%, 

Deprenyl

Chronic treatment of Syrian hamsters with low-dose selegiline increases life span in females but not males.
PMID:  8914495
Abstract

The only intervention conclusively shown to prolong life span in mammals is caloric restriction. Selegiline, a selective, irreversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase B (MAO-B), is the first drug reported to reproducibly increase mean and maximum life span in animals, although this has only been demonstrated in male rats and mice. The effect on life span is commonly assumed to depend on MAO-B inhibition, but final experimental proof is missing. Therefore, we investigated the possible relationship between selegiline's effect on life span and MAO-B by monitoring survival data and MAO activity in Syrian hamsters of both sexes. Selegiline (0.05 mg/kg) significantly increased life span in female Syrian hamsters, but not in males. In contrast, MAO-B was inhibited equally in both sexes by about 40%, although females had a higher baseline MAO-B activity. No increase in MAO-B with age was observed. Female control hamsters had a shorter life span than male controls. Interestingly, this sex difference disappeared in theselegiline-treated animals. These findings suggest that the increase of life span by selegiline might be independent of MAO-B inhibition, but is possibly related to mechanisms determining sex differences of life span.

Entersorption

Effect of enterosorption on animal lifespan.
Abstract

Experiments were performed on Wistar male rats, starting from the 28th month of age. The effect of dietary sorbent (non coated nitrogen-containingcarbon administered as 10 day courses at 1 month intervals in dosage of 10 ml/kg) on lifespan and a number of biological indices were studied. Enterosorption resulted in the increase of mean and maximal lifespan by 43 and 34% respectively. Analysis of the effect of enterosorption on activity of microsomal enzymes, intensity of total RNA and protein biosynthesis, lipid metabolism, formation of free radicals etc. showed that it produced a positive influence on the functional state of the studied systems and increased the organism's adaptive capacities. Enterosorption was found to delay the rate of onset of age-related structural changes in the organs and tissues.

PMID:  2479433     I urge everyone to visit peer reviewed published source documents. each of the items listed has a PMID  Just visit http://www.pubmed.org then type the PMID to find the full item.  Some items have complimentary journal availability .     I appreciate the reply  

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:40 AM

I appreciate the reply.  Each of these looks well or partially supported.
Hi I urge you to describe source material.  While I am looking around this moment 

Metformin
Note SHR are hypertensive mice, my perception is that there is also a normal mouse longevity pubmed PMID.

PMID 18728386

Here we show the chronic treatment of female outbred SHR mice with metformin (100 mg/kg in drinking water) slightly modified the food consumption but decreased the body weight after the age of 20 months, slowed down the age-related switch-off of estrous function, increased mean life span by 37.8%, mean life span of last 10% survivors by 20.8%,

First, SHR mice are not hypertensive: you're (understandably) confusing them with SHR rats ("SHR" in this context means "Spontaneously Hypertensive Rat"). SHR mice are a line of outbred mice derived from Swiss-derived albino mice in the former Czechoslovakia.

As to the report: as you can see in the free full text, the weights of the treated animals suddenly dropped as compared to the controls starting at the time when treatment began (Fig. 1), and ate less IAC starting shortly before (Fig. 2), so Occam's razor says that any results are likely crypto-CR. Additionally, these animals were miserably short-lived -- controls and treatment group alike (Table 3). This tells you (as many studies do) that metformin can often help miserably-short-lived animals live somewhat closer to the normal life of a genetically-intact, well-nourished, well-husbanded animal who is not living in an infested colony; it tells you nothing at all about taking on the degenerative aging process.

Deprenyl
Chronic treatment of Syrian hamsters with low-dose selegiline increases life span in females but not males.
PMID:  [9258898 - corrected (MR)]]
Abstract

... Selegiline (0.05 mg/kg) significantly increased life span in female Syrian hamsters, but not in males. In contrast, MAO-B was inhibited equally in both sexes by about 40%... Female control hamsters had a shorter life span than male controls. Interestingly, this sex difference disappeared in the selegiline-treated animals. ...

If it increases lifespan in females but not males, one has to question its likely efficacy as an anti-aging intervention -- or, of course, its utility to half the population. IAC, the literature on deprenyl and lifespan is all over the place; eg, in PMID:  11104356, "Eighteen month old rats were treated with 1 mg/kg s.c. deprenyl 3 times per week for 13 months. At the age of 31 months, treated rats showed a greater mortality rate with three of 12 rats surviving, while in saline-treated control animals seven of 12 animals survived."

Please see this post on deprenyl, and this re-analysis of the DATATOP trial, which originally fueled much of the early belief that deprenyl is neuroprotective: "Selegiline treatment had independent effects as a predictor of death at 8 year follow-up with a hazard ratio of 2.54 (95% CI 1.51, 4.25) but had beneficial effects on disability with a hazard ratio of 0.363 (95% CI 0.132, 0.533) and depression with a hazard ratio of 0.372 (95% CI 0.12, 0.552)."

Entersorption
Effect of enterosorption on animal lifespan.
Frolkis VV1Nikolaev VGParamonova GIShchorbitskaya EVBogatskaya LNStupina ASKovtun AISabko VEShaposhnikov VMMuradian KK, et al.
Author information

Abstract

Experiments were performed on Wistar male rats, starting from the 28th month of age. The effect of dietary sorbent (non coated nitrogen-containing carbon administered as 10 day courses at 1 month intervals in dosage of 10 ml/kg) on lifespan and a number of biological indices were studied. Enterosorption resulted in the increase of mean and maximal lifespan by 43 and 34% respectively....

PMID:  2479433

Somewhere in my piles of papers I have a copy of this. I last looked at it almost a decade ago, and don't recall why, but it was easy to determine that this study was meaningless and should be ignored -- so I subsequently have.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 treonsverdery

• Topic Starter
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

noting previous discussion has anyone heard anything fresh from Calico Google

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: longevity, calico, calico google, genentech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users