- - - - -

Beetroot is the natural source of Methylfolate

beet beetroot juice methylfolate methyl tetra hydro folate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 agwoodliffe

• 120 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

For those who don't know, a large number of people have some form of defect in Folate or Homocysteine metabolism. In other words, their bodies are unable to manufacture Methylfolate or Trimethylglycine sufficiently.

It's well established that Beetroots are a natural source of TMG. But guess what, here's a study that shows it also is high in Methylfolate as well:

http://ucanr.edu/dat...les/608-314.pdf

This may be why I've always considered Beetroot Juice to be the drink of life, lol.

• like x 2

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,461 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

Nice find, just bought some beetroot juice.

Beetroot also contains nitrates that induce vasodilation and increase blood flow through nitric oxide.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 DorianGrey

• 152 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

Did you read the publication? Beet has less than 100 microgram per 100g. I use a 750 microgram methylfolate supplement that isn't too pricey. I admit some others are, but half a liter of juice a day ain't cheap either. Doesn't beet juice give your pee a nasty colour?

TMG in tablet form is quite cheap and the normal folate that's converted in the liver is dirt cheap.
Just get a 23andMe test if you think you have that enzyme deficiency and stop speculating.
  • Good Point x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beet, beetroot, juice, methylfolate, methyl, tetra, hydro, folate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users