• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

C60 Enhances Memory & Learning: The role of low levels of C60 on enhanced learning & memory

c60 memory learning long-term lt potentiation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PhysiologicOxygen

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Nice study released on what we already seem to know. C60 Enhances memory and learning: The role of low levels of fullerene C60 nanocrystals on enhanced learning and memory of rats through persistent CaMKII activation. Abstract

Engineered nanomaterials are known to exhibit diverse and sometimes unexpected biological effects. Fullerene nanoparticles have been reported to specifically bind to and elicit persistent activation of hippocampal Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II (CaMKII), a multimeric intracellular serine/threonine kinase central to Ca2+ signal transduction and critical for synaptic plasticity, but the functional consequence of that modulation is unknown. Here we show that low doses of fullerene C60 nanocrystals (Nano C60), delivered through intrahippocampal infusion and without any obvious cytotoxicity in hippocampal neuronal cells, enhance the long-term potentiation (LTP) of rats. Intraperitoneal injection of 320 μg/kg of Nano C60, once daily for 10 days, also enhanced spatial memory of rats in addition to an increase of LTP. In parallel, both the IH and IP administration of Nano C60 increased the autonomous activity and the level of threonine 286 (T286) autophosphorylation of CaMKII, enhanced post-synaptic AMPA/NMDA ratio, and triggered time-dependent activation of ERK and CREB. Our results reveal a striking and highly unexpected ability of Nano C60 in positively modulating learning and memory, an effect that is most likely manifested through locking CaMKII in an active conformation, and may have significant implications for the potential therapeutic applications of fullerene C60, a classic engineered nanomaterial.

Copyright © 2014 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25129570

Anyone have access to the article?

• Informative x 2
  • like x 2

#2 PhysiologicOxygen

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Here is the precursor paper by this group:

Nanoparticle as signaling protein mimic: robust structural and functional modulation of CaMKII upon specific binding to fullerene C60 nanocrystals.
Abstract

In a biological environment, nanoparticles encounter and interact with thousands of proteins, forming a protein corona on the surface of the nanoparticles, but these interactions are oftentimes perceived as nonspecific protein adsorption, with protein unfolding and deactivation as the most likely consequences. The potential of a nanoparticle-protein interaction to mimic a protein-protein interaction in a cellular signaling process, characterized by stringent binding specificity and robust functional modulation for the interacting protein, has not been adequately demonstrated. Here, we show that water-suspended fullerene C60 nanocrystals (nano-C60) interact with and modulate the function of the Ca(2+)/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II (CaMKII), a multimeric intracellular serine/threonine kinase central to Ca(2+) signal transduction, in a fashion that rivals the well-documented interaction between the NMDA (N-methyl-d-aspartate) receptor subunit NR2B protein and CaMKII. The stable high-affinity binding of CaMKII to distinct sites on nano-C60, mediated by amino acid residues D246 and K250 within the catalytic domain of CaMKIIα, but not the nonspecific adsorption of CaMKII to diamond nanoparticles, leads to functional consequences reminiscent of the NR2B-CaMKII interaction, including generation of autonomous CaMKII activity after Ca(2+) withdrawal, calmodulin trapping and CaMKII translocation to postsynaptic sites. Our results underscore the critical importance of specific interactions between nanoparticles and cellular signaling proteins, and the ability of nano-C60 to sustain the autonomous kinase activity of CaMKII may have significant implications for both the biosafety and the potential therapeutic applications of fullerene C60.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24863918

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

FULL TEXT:  The role of low levels of fullerene C60 nanocrystals on enhanced learning and memory of rats through persistent CaMKII activation
  • like x 2

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

These reports deal with nano-c6O, an aggregated form.  I skimmed the article, and the particle size didn't jump out at me, but they are pretty small.  Not, however, single molecules like c60oo.  Such aggregates are quite messy in terms of their chemical and physical properties, and that makes interpretation difficult.

• Good Point x 1

#5 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

Thanks to the topic starter for the nice article. And thanks to niner for putting it into context, much appreciated.

#6 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

To niner's point about too many potential binding affinities or Van der Waals interactions of aggregates to really know what's going on here: have their been any experiments, even @ home, with c60 dissolved in fish oil instead of olive oil? In particular, is there any way to get this stuff preferentially to the brain, other than by intrahippocampal injection, which isn't exactly convenient? I ask because even though this might be a poorly designed experiment, the results are certainly interesting and warrant further experimentation.

Also for an excellent graphical presentation regarding CaMKII, Ca2+, phosphorylation, and memory formation, see this video @ 16:22

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 23 August 2014 - 03:26 PM.

• like x 1

#7 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

C60 dissolved in coconut oil also comes to mind. The medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are processed directly by the liver and the metabolites thereof made available to the brain as fuel. (This would appear to be the result of MCTs' ancient presence in the environment, such that even organisms lacking advanced digestive systems evolved means by which to process them.) I'm not a particularly brave pioneer, so I'm putting this seed out there for the heroes among us would try such a thing, even in rats. It's not just a matter of enhancing transport across the blood-brain barrier; coconut oil appears to be effective at retrogressing (not merely decelerating) Alzheimers by a year or two in a subset of patients, presumably the ones for which dementia is primarily due to so-called "type 3 diabetes", in which the brain loses its ability to process sugar efficiently. But for healthy people, by preemptively minimizing sugar as a fuel, and at the same time slowing the formation of Alzheimers pathology due to oxidation and glycation (neurofibrillary tangles, tau protein phosphorylation, beta amyloid accretion, etc.) by means of C60, the results could be very beneficial in the long term. The more diverse approach would be c60oo coincident with (but not dissolved in) fish oil and coconut oil. That might work well in practice, but it's tempting to try to enhance the brain availability of C60 (if for no other reason, than economics and therefore reserve capacity for other enhancements) by means of forming MCT/DHA/EPA adducts. No doubt centrifugation would still be necessary, so in practice, this would require the participation of c60oo vendors (new product line "for research purposes only", perhaps).

(Sorry for the thread bump. It will no longer let me edit my previous post.)

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 23 August 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#8 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

The full paper says "Secondly, a single low dose IH infusion of Nano C60 (20 ng) has the similar promotional effect on LTP as that by IP injection (320mikrogramm/kg)." (IP=Intraperitoneal injection). 

Doesnt that mean, that you dont need to inject the stuff into your hippocampus, you just need more of it? So it doesnt seem to have any problem to go to the brain.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

C60oo doesn't have any problem getting into the brain either.

• Needs references x 3
  • Informative x 1

#10 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

These reports deal with nano-c6O, an aggregated form.  I skimmed the article, and the particle size didn't jump out at me, but they are pretty small.  Not, however, single molecules like c60oo.  Such aggregates are quite messy in terms of their chemical and physical properties, and that makes interpretation difficult.

My interpretation is that it

a) Did something useful

b) Did not kill or cripple the subjects

If we are getting some amount of macroC60 with our oil this should be good.

I have seen a number of papers on different versions of C60 (Fullerol, Hydrated, C60oo) and all seemed promising in their own way so for what it's worth I will add this to the list of positive stuff.

#11 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

C60oo doesn't have any problem getting into the brain either.

So is there a way to bias it toward the brain, as opposed to all the cells in the body? (Maybe I should be asking the opposite question, as more people die of problems outside the brain than within it, but on the other hand, a smarter brain is conducive to better health maintenance.)

• like x 1

#12 IP3

• 101 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:10 PM

C60 make me fell iritated and gives me brain fog. But i fell the same on piracetam and noopept (no brain fog or memory impairment, just iritation). Perhaps it is due to elevated calcium signaling.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c60, memory, learning, long-term, lt potentiation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users