• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions for my next Doctors visit, Please?

medications prescriptions antidepressants ssri

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rian

• 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Good Day to you all,

My name is Mike and I have been dealing with various mental health issues for many years.  The last 2.5 years I have been off of all medications and substances, trying to live my life through a healthy routine of exercise, eating nutritiously, and maintaining proper sleep.  My practices have helped me, and will continue to help me, in many ways, but I feel like I have hit a plateau in my efforts. 

I still deal with brain fog, slight depression/anxiety, cloudy thinking, unable to enjoy anything, anhedonia, terrible memory and terrible concentration.  My life is going quite well other than which I have just described, I am happy with my job, friends, and home life, but my mental health problems feel like they are coming to a critical juncture once again, one which I would like to aid with medications.  

Years ago I was on an SSRI and Benzo, I dont remember it helping much other than dulling my anxiety.  So after my break from medications, I would like to try the pharmacological route once again.  I have no diagnosis after years of Doctors visits other than "deals with symptoms of depression and anxiety".  I have tried supplements, herbs, and natural remedies with no real success. 

I know medications tend to react differently to different people, but I would really appreciate any suggestions, advice, or opinions on which medications would be a good idea to discuss with my Doctor.  I will assume he will want me to try an SSRI again, but I would like to be prepared this time around, with the knowledge and options in medications, I was missing years ago.

Some medications Ive currently been interested in are:

Buspirone

Agomelatine

Selegiline

Low-dose SSRI

Thank you very much to anyone who reaches out,

Mike

#2 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:05 AM

You say you are unable to enjoy anything, anhedonia, then that you are happy with your jobs, friends, family but things are coming to a critical point.

Which seems a contradiction. I think it could be a lot worse for you.

But anyways yeah you will likely be prescribed an antidepressant.

Ssri - celexa paxil zoloft ect
atypical antidepressant snri - cymbalta, effexor

Those options are all fairly equal, depending how you responded to other Ssri. Then look at the snri because you can have a better response.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

You say you are unable to enjoy anything, anhedonia, then that you are happy with your jobs, friends, family but things are coming to a critical point.

Which seems a contradiction. I think it could be a lot worse for you.

But anyways yeah you will likely be prescribed an antidepressant.

Ssri - celexa paxil zoloft ect
atypical antidepressant snri - cymbalta, effexor

Those options are all fairly equal, depending how you responded to other Ssri. Then look at the snri because you can have a better response.

Good morning,

Thank you very much for your input, it is appreciated.  I must apologize,  I agree with you that which I wrote sounds contradictory.  I should try and rephrase some of my information.

I am very dubious of having "depression" myself but from what I have read and from what the Doctors keep telling me, you do not need to be sad to have depression.  I wouldnt say I am happy in my life, I would say that I could accept the idea of being content or pleased with my life as it is now.

Also, When I say critical point, I mean in regards to my brain fog/cloudy thinking, quick to anger, mood swings, and just not feeling well each and every day.  I feel like I cannot live like this and there must be someone who can help me.  I have been on a waiting list for about a year to see a Psychiatrist, and I finally get to see him in September. 

I think I am trying to say that I feel like there isnt anything in my life right now which is causing my issues, and I believe they are stemming from a biological/chemical problem.

When I say I cannot enjoy anything and experience anhedonida, I think I mean from a chemical standpoint, I do not feel much when I sexually release, I do not feel anything when I have a drink of alcohol, I do not feel anything if the odd occasion I smoke cannabis. 

I used to smoke, drink, drug and sex like a sailor years ago, but for over 2.5 years now, I have broken all my addictions and have maintained a clean, substance free likfestyle, for the most part.  The odd, rare occasions I have tried my old vices, they have done nothing for me and I do not feel anything from them.  Which is good, please do not get me wrong, but this anhedonia extends past just my old habits.  Food, hobbies, activities which used to make me feel good, do nothing now.  I can orgasm, but I do not feel any pleasure whatsoever. 

Anyways, I appreciate your help and I will look into the medications you have mentioned.  I was hoping to find a non-SSRI/SNRI medication to try but I am desperate to feel alive again so I will definitely keep everything in mind.  I hope I did not come off sounding rude or anything of the sort, I just woke up and wanted to explain myself a bit better. 

Thank you,

Mike

Edited by Michael Rian, 22 August 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#4 rewnfloot

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

I'd take your list of meds with you to the doctor along with what exactly made you think those would be a good option for you. And also make sure to let them know what didn't work. It seems like my GP has his favorites and would just try the next on his list if one didn't work.  Maybe the psychiatrist might have a better idea of what might be best with specific symptoms.

If a single med doesn't work, then you could ask about an add-on med.  I never really noticed any positive results until I added Abilify to what I was on.

• like x 1

#5 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

I'd take your list of meds with you to the doctor along with what exactly made you think those would be a good option for you. And also make sure to let them know what didn't work. It seems like my GP has his favorites and would just try the next on his list if one didn't work.  Maybe the psychiatrist might have a better idea of what might be best with specific symptoms.

If a single med doesn't work, then you could ask about an add-on med.  I never really noticed any positive results until I added Abilify to what I was on.

Thank you very much Rewnfloot,

This sounds like great advice and I will plan my next Doctors visit accordingly.  I am eager to hear what my new psychiatrist will have to say and I am looking forward to being prepared for discussion this time around.  Cheers!

#6 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

God I wrote a long reply and lost it.

You have a long list of meds still ahead and worth trying.

Based on what you said trying to treat depression makes the most sense. If you find one remotely effective you can always augment it with something like abilify or lithium. Following that you can look at mood stabilisers based on some of the things you said. Also there are loads off off label things for those purposes too.

Also be prepared to push your treatment forward because the mental health system is EXTREMELY slow.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#7 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:53 AM

God I wrote a long reply and lost it.

You have a long list of meds still ahead and worth trying.

Based on what you said trying to treat depression makes the most sense. If you find one remotely effective you can always augment it with something like abilify or lithium. Following that you can look at mood stabilisers based on some of the things you said. Also there are loads off off label things for those purposes too.

Also be prepared to push your treatment forward because the mental health system is EXTREMELY slow.

No worries Drg, I have lost replies more times than I can count!

Your reponse makes me feel even more confident that I will find the help I need.  I wholeheartedly agree with you on the mental health systems priorities and operation rate, I have been back and forth from my Family Doctor for years and I feel I havent gotten very far.  Now, after waiting a year to see my new Psychiatrist, I feel like I will be very prepared to get the most out of my Sept 15th visit.  Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.  Take care,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medications, prescriptions, antidepressants, ssri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users