• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Bone Spotted On Mars

ufos

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

http://www.independe...fe-9685227.html

Check out this photograph of what looks like a bone on Mars.  Some claim it's a rock, but have you ever seen a rock like that?  

Whoa.  

• like x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

could be a rock but da,n

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

I think this is like seeing Jesus in a piece of French toast. 

• Agree x 2
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:39 AM

Good point, goodman.

I have no idea what n-i-n-e-r is saying because I have him on ignore.  He trolls my posts.  

• Unfriendly x 6

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Probably an odd shaped rock, considering that we have been sending probes there since the 1970s and all the pictures from many different parts of the planet show a lot of rocks.

Can't say 100% for sure without being there, or without some crude chemical analysis of the object.

• Disagree x 1

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

We had a probe right there looking at it.  The probe could look from multiple angles, too, and could have performed various analyses on it.  This is just one still image out of what is no doubt a much larger package of information.   If the scientists running the probe didn't think that the bone-shaped rock was interesting enough to do anything with, I have to conclude that it's a rock, not a bone.  Some of those guys have dedicated their lives to searching for signs of life on other planetary systems.  If this had been a real bone, we'd know it, and there would be immediate plans to send a manned mission to Mars.  

Alternate possibility:  This picture was released in order to: 1) Whip up public interest.  2) Troll ignorant paranoid conspiracy theorists.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

Thanks for commenting, Mind.

Again, I have no idea what Niner is saying because he is a troll and is on ignore. 

Niner, you can tell Glaxosmithkline they are getting their money's worth.  Now you have three fake identities voting me down. Isn't that against site policy?

Edited by Luminosity, 26 August 2014 - 06:20 AM.

• Unfriendly x 3
  • dislike x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#8 Dakman

• 271 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

First you'd have to prove he has multiple accounts.... Oh that's right , you don't work with facts, just conspiracies.

Hope you're not a gun owner, paranoia and firearms are a dangerous mix.
  • Unfriendly x 5
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#9 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

Of your 33 posts, at least a third have been troll posts putting me down.  

• Off-Topic x 2
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#10 Dakman

• 271 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

You're odd, and obtuse and your behaviours stand out as troll like yourself, aggressive even. I find that amusing.
  • like x 3
  • Unfriendly x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#11 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

We had a probe right there looking at it. 

Don't be too sure. These rovers see a lot of things that aren't noticed until later. Thus they rarely investigate them. This picture of a "bone" is especially odd in that it looks like a bucket of material has been dumped out and then run over, as there are several freshly crushed rocks visible.

• Good Point x 1

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

Don't be too sure. These rovers see a lot of things that aren't noticed until later. Thus they rarely investigate them. This picture of a "bone" is especially odd in that it looks like a bucket of material has been dumped out and then run over, as there are several freshly crushed rocks visible.

I find it unbelievable that the planetary scientists involved would release this picture to the media, agree with each other that is sure does look like an alien burial ground, and then NOT send the rover back for another look.  The rovers move painfully slowly, with each tiny moved choreographed from Earth, so it's not like it was a drive-by photo shoot.  They would have seen it in real time, and would have had an opportunity at that time to look closer.  Maybe something really subtle wouldn't be noticed until later, but this thing is far from subtle.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#13 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

I find it unbelievable that the planetary scientists involved would release this picture to the media, agree with each other that is sure does look like an alien burial ground, and then NOT send the rover back for another look.  The rovers move painfully slowly, with each tiny moved choreographed from Earth, so it's not like it was a drive-by photo shoot.  They would have seen it in real time, and would have had an opportunity at that time to look closer.  Maybe something really subtle wouldn't be noticed until later, but this thing is far from subtle.

I don't find it unbelievable at all, as these NASA scientists are already convinced there was never anything but microbes on Mars and thus anything that looks like a fossil must be weathered rock. You'd think they'd at least turn it over, but I can't find if they did. In fact, they often just drive on and were recently sued by someone because of it.

• Needs references x 1
  • Well Written x 1

#14 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

Mars, Moon and other places like that lead a life that is painfully slow by Earth erosion standards. That's bound to produce some things us humans find puzzling.

Even if they found real fossils that would be boring, call me when they find an abandoned starship.

#15 Clacksberg

• 138 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

Like Turnbuckle says, the crushed rocks are curious - temperature variations would cause that?!

#16 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Like Turnbuckle says, the crushed rocks are curious - temperature variations would cause that?!

Here's another picture from the same area, and you can see several things--

Long and oddly shaped rocks are more common than round ones.

The rocks tend to be gray with a yellow coating of dust.

They are easily crushed by the rover's wheels and the crushed rocks show no internal structure.

The dirt under the surface layer is brown.

• Informative x 1

#17 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:07 AM

Conspiracy is a hell of lot more interesting than reality, isn't it?  I guess that the existence of a large bone on the surface of Mars really does make a lot of sense.  I'm just certain that NASA is ignoring it because they are stupid. 

• Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#18 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

Conspiracy is a hell of lot more interesting than reality, isn't it?  I guess that the existence of a large bone on the surface of Mars really does make a lot of sense.  I'm just certain that NASA is ignoring it because they are stupid. 

I don't know if this is directly to me, but the preponderance of oddly shaped rocks suggests that they are only oddly shaped rocks, and the lack of internal structure suggests the same thing.

• Good Point x 1

#19 redFishBlueFish

• 186 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

So in the picture there is a cluster F of rocks, is this how majority of mars is or are they in a riverbed?

#20 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

The picture Turnbuckle linked to has at least one other rock that looks like a bone, but not as much as the first picture.  That really looks like one, and like no other rock I've ever seen.

#21 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

Elaborate what you think then Luminosity. Is NASA covering up dino-fossils on Mars? Why would they even release the picture in that case? A real bone on Mars would mean that NASA would be swimming in fund-money in no-time. Is that what you imply? Or is that just a stupid rock created by a geological process.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#22 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:06 AM

For those who have an open mind, the truth is out there.  

Your post illustrates that perhaps our mouths should only be as open as our minds are.  Why are deniers so mad? Why are they so vociferous when the evidence is all on the other side?  Because that's all they have?  If you think the original picture is a "rock" then that discredits everything you say.      

Edited by Luminosity, 01 September 2014 - 03:07 AM.

• dislike x 4

#23 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:16 AM

You forgot to answer my question Mulder. What is NASA doing posting images of this bone then? Use that open mind and explain it to those of us who don't have one.

• like x 1

#24 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:22 AM

Even if they found an entire boneyard on Mars that would only be moderately interesting to those of us who spent a life in the sci-fi realm. So Mars was a wet planet with life capacity before it dried up and ejected it's atmosphere into planetary space. Probably that life would have the same DNA base as ours. Maybe our planet seeded Mars, maybe Mars seeded Earth. That would be an interesting subject for eternal debates. Still it would not explain the Fermi paradox. It would perhaps give a hint to us that microbial life is common in the galactic disk. It would make the Filter-theory a bit more acute.

But aside from that, it would not be some ground shaking discovery. The media would forget in a few weeks, a few speculative documentaries would be produced. The usual crowd would rage about Mars-plague being brought back. NASA would get better funding.

I'll save my breath for the day we discover alien nano-machines on our planet, Jupiter brains flying around interstellar space, Dysonspheres around distant stars, signs of galactic engineering or whatever.

Edited by Cosmicalstorm, 01 September 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#25 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

For those who have an open mind, the truth is out there.  

Your post illustrates that perhaps our mouths should only be as open as our minds are.  Why are deniers so mad? Why are they so vociferous when the evidence is all on the other side?  Because that's all they have?  If you think the original picture is a "rock" then that discredits everything you say.      

Looks like a rock to me. Of course, according to you, my very opinion discredits me. lol

I find it funny that people actually think a small rock is a 'large' bone. I saw a dragon in a cloud yesterday too, but that doesn't mean they are real based on that evidence alone.

For what it's worth, I believe that there is life out there there other than what is on earth. Intelligent life as well and entire thriving civilizations of alien species. The cosmos is far far too large for us to be alone. I still think that this is a rock though.

Edited by PerC, 24 September 2014 - 07:32 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#26 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:02 PM

I still think that this is a rock though.

The question is not whether one thinks this is a bone, but whether NASA should have turned it over. If a human were walking along and saw this, that's the minimum he would do.

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

The question is not whether one thinks this is a bone, but whether NASA should have turned it over. If a human were walking along and saw this, that's the minimum he would do.

If it were as easy for the rover to turn over a funny-looking rock as it is for a human, that would be a fair argument, but it probably would have taken an hour, perhaps more, to examine what was, in the opinion of the scientists making the call, not worth that amount of exploration resources.   I'm comfortable letting them make that call, as opposed to, say, the OP, who thinks that the CIA teleported Obama to Mars.

#28 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

If it were as easy for the rover to turn over a funny-looking rock as it is for a human, that would be a fair argument, but it probably would have taken an hour, perhaps more, to examine what was, in the opinion of the scientists making the call, not worth that amount of exploration resources.   I'm comfortable letting them make that call, as opposed to, say, the OP, who thinks that the CIA teleported Obama to Mars.

NASA has criticized the team as well--

NASA’s planetary senior review panel harshly criticized the scientific return of the Curiosity rover in a report released yesterday (Sept. 3), saying the mission lacks focus and the team is taking actions that show they think the $2.5-billion mission is “too big to fail.”

While the review did recommend the mission receive more funding — along with the other six NASA extended planetary missions being scrutinized — members recommended making several changes to the mission. One of them would be reducing the distance that Curiosity drives in favor of doing more detailed investigations when it stops.

#29 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:21 AM

Did that report really mention the bone? Such missions are always bashed by somebody.

#30 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Did that report really mention the bone? Such missions are always bashed by somebody.

No, they didn't mention it. The criticism was in the team trying to get the rover to its final location as quickly as possible while neglecting science along the way. And this was NASA criticizing them, not just "somebody."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ufos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users