lyrica (pregbalin)

psychiatry anxiety social heroin opiates withdrawal empathy minus iq

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anewlife

• 210 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:18 AM

My shrink told me to look up this drug.
It seems heralded as the silver bullet of psychiatry, it mostly replaces benzos for social anxiety and sleep but it also treats heroin addiction.

It seems to activate empathy similar to opiates but the down side seems to be it limits growth somewhat in the hippocampus so effects your memory and learning.
It also seems to effect cognition more than opiates.

I guess it's best taken with a relative dose of zoloft. Zoloft fights dissociation and lyrica seems to initially cause it but subsides after about 3 days.
It also seems to be capable of some psychedelic effect at high doses.

Anyway I suggest people here on opiates or that have a problem with pain or social anxiety give it a shot with zoloft or prozac.

It's twice a day and needs to be ramped like zoloft. I suggest staying on the low end of dosages for sanity sake. < 200mg twice daily

Edited by Anewlife, 29 August 2014 - 01:22 AM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#2 Al Capacino

• 120 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

I was on 225mg twice daily to help with general anxiety. Hardly noticed any effect really.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Anewlife

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

Hmmm are you Sicilian too?

#4 Al Capacino

• 120 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

Haha no, I do have a half Italian mum though!

It's worth a try lyrica as I didn't notice any side effects, just didn't notice much positive either. We are all different though

#5 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

I've used it for extended periods of time to treat anxiety.

Tolerance to the anxiolytic effect developed rapidly, but plateaued at 225-300mg per day.  Withdrawal was minor and felt primarily as a return of anxiety at slightly higher levels than before.

Overall it works pretty well, definitely preferable to gabapentin, but nowhere near a benzodiazepine in terms of anxiety reduction.  My view may be skewed due to the fact that I find benzodiazepines both motivating and pro-social.  I felt neither of these effects with pregabalin.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#6 Anewlife

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

I think the first step is cbt for any psychological problem, along with evening out left or right brain thinking. (Learning an instrument or logic puzzles), I do about 6 mindfulness exercises at the moment.

After that or if you urgently need help then medication.

For me I accidentally solved my problem with homeopathic medicine lol serious.
I went so nuts I had to see about 15 head doctors before being treated and I put the pieces of the puzzle together with a layman background in psych.

So now I know my underlying condition.

Last resort for social anxiety would be ketamine or mdma I think, they both rewire for inhibition. I wouldn't call this homeopathy at all though but its still not entirely sensible.

But do look in to treatments for autism as high functioning autism isn't in the dsm (may be ultra high functioning sociopathy, not sure)

Edited by Anewlife, 30 August 2014 - 05:10 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psychiatry, anxiety, social, heroin, opiates, withdrawal, empathy, minus iq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users