Bupropion SR Hives/Rash

bupropion

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stan08

• 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:33 AM

My doctor prescribed bupropion sr (150 mg, 2Xday) for my depression after years of unsuccessful treatment with SSRIs. Within three days (just using 150 mg in the mornings) I developed hives all over my torso. My doctor recommended that I stop taking it immediately...which I did. I'm really disappointed that I had to stop taking it because in just that short period of time it seemed to be better than anything else I've tried. Attempted to take it again a couple days ago (with claritin to try and prevent the allergic reaction) but got hives again by the end of the day. My question is whether anyone has had a similar reaction and were able to keep using it by either adding something to stop the allergic reaction or if that reaction just went away on its own with continued use?

#2 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

Wellbutrin can cause large increases in histamine because of it's antagonism of nicotine receptors, which allows for more histamine release.. but it could be an allergic reaction specific to you as well - in which case, I wouldn't keep taking the drug nor would I recommend trying to counter the side effects in such a situation.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Wellbutrin can cause large increases in histamine because of it's antagonism of nicotine receptors, which allows for more histamine release.. but it could be an allergic reaction specific to you as well - in which case, I wouldn't keep taking the drug nor would I recommend trying to counter the side effects in such a situation.

Thank you for the info. I just spoke with my pharmacist and doctor again and they both recommended I stop taking it too. Do you know of any similar alternatives? My doctor is recommending I try buspirone but after reading up on it I have my doubts it will be helpful.

#4 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Thank you for the info. I just spoke with my pharmacist and doctor again and they both recommended I stop taking it too. Do you know of any similar alternatives? My doctor is recommending I try buspirone but after reading up on it I have my doubts it will be helpful.

The only Anti-Depressants that don't deplete your quality of life and CNS function would be of three.

1.) Trazodone

2.) Remeron

3.) Wellbutrin.

• like x 1

#5 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

The only Anti-Depressants that don't deplete your quality of life and CNS function would be of three.
1.) Trazodone
2.) Remeron
3.) Wellbutrin.

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

#6 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

1.) Trazodone
2.) Remeron
3.) Wellbutrin.

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Anytime!

#7 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

Do you (or anyone else) know of any natural or over the counter supplements that would act similar to bupropion/wellbutrin? The closest I can think of is dl-phenylalanine.

#8 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

Do you (or anyone else) know of any natural or over the counter supplements that would act similar to bupropion/wellbutrin? The closest I can think of is dl-phenylalanine.

Wellbutrin is a DNRI (Dopamine-Norepinephrine-Reuptake Inhibitor) and Nicotinic Acetylcholine Blocker.

There's not much that can replicate that mechanism and the exact affinities, but you can get pretty close with Flowering Quince extract +Ginkgo Biloba.

#9 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

Wellbutrin is a DNRI (Dopamine-Norepinephrine-Reuptake Inhibitor) and Nicotinic Acetylcholine Blocker.

There's not much that can replicate that mechanism and the exact affinities, but you can get pretty close with Flowering Quince extract +Ginkgo Biloba.

Great info.  I've been reading up on flowering quince since you posted this and really like what I've found.  I do have one follow-up question.  Do you know if it affects thyroid hormone levels?  In the past I've had problems (very sore throat, trouble swallowing, etc.) whenever I take something that may increase thyroid hormone levels (l-tyrosine, ashwagandha, pregnenolone and alphamine...a product that I found out after taking it also stimulates the thyroid). 

#10 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Great info.  I've been reading up on flowering quince since you posted this and really like what I've found.  I do have one follow-up question.  Do you know if it affects thyroid hormone levels?  In the past I've had problems (very sore throat, trouble swallowing, etc.) whenever I take something that may increase thyroid hormone levels (l-tyrosine, ashwagandha, pregnenolone and alphamine...a product that I found out after taking it also stimulates the thyroid). 

FQ may very mildly, but in most cases insignicantly raise T4. So it should be meaningless.

Ginkgo Biloba has no direct effects on TSH etc

#11 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

FQ may very mildly, but in most cases insignicantly raise T4. So it should be meaningless.

Ginkgo Biloba has no direct effects on TSH etc

Glad to hear it.  The last thing I need is something that will cause my tsh to dip any lower (dropped from 1.55 to 0.74 in the last year).  Thank you for letting me pick your brain on this.  :)

Edited by stan08, 03 September 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#12 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

I decided to try another generic brand (mylan) and luckily it hasn't caused an allergic reaction after a week of use. I reacted to the first brand pretty fast. So, I'm hopeful it will continue to work. So far, it stacked with agmatine has been really nice.

#13 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:16 AM

I decided to try another generic brand (mylan) and luckily it hasn't caused an allergic reaction after a week of use. I reacted to the first brand pretty fast. So, I'm hopeful it will continue to work. So far, it stacked with agmatine has been really nice.

Interesting, might have been a preservative or something in the other pill. Something unlisted probably. Although agmatine does reduce histamine release itself - so it might be that helping as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#14 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:31 AM

Interesting, might have been a preservative or something in the other pill. Something unlisted probably. Although agmatine does reduce histamine release itself - so it might be that helping as well.

Yeah, I don't know if it was the purple dye or filler in the first one that caused me to react so poorly. I've been taking agmatine for my back pain for about 6 months.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bupropion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users