- - - - -

Rhodiola - WEIRD STUFF

rhodiola rosea adrenaline paranoia

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrej Ilić

• 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

I have always wanted to experiment with Rhodiola Rosea, so one day I decided to give it a shot. My usual routine with whichever new supplement I am trying out is to test it in a minute quantity with the tip of my tongue, as a sort of allergy/quality test. However, I was shocked when in a matter of SECONDS, i started blushing, feeling hot spells and immense paranoia. I calmed down after a couple of minutes, but soon followed the headache, anxiety and breathing got a bit harder. Eventually everything sorted out on its own. I was certain that my mind was pulling tricks on me, and that this was the result of my over-extensive online research on the topic of Rhodiola side effects.

But today i tried Rhodiola in the exact same setup, and the reaction was the same, only a bit milder. Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? Personally, I have never heard of such an acute reaction to this supplement before.

#2 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

No. I have no idea. But I would

a) let somebody else try your rhodiola, to see if they experience the same thing

b) not take your rhodiola again

c) try another brand of rhodiola

to start to figure out what is what.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

Since we're on the topic on Rhodiola, I've tried NOW Rhodiola, including at 5 times the recommended dosage and it didn't seem to have any effect. I am aware that there are potentially more potent brands of Rhodiola. I also have the impression that Rhodiola is an "activating" adaptogen, although I've read one post where the person claims it has calmed him down. 

My question is: has anyone who tried Rhodiola found that it calms them down, whether immediately or in the short to medium term? If so, which brand were you using?

#4 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

Please do not take this the wrong way but I think that an underlying mental illness could be to blame. A minute quantity in "SECONDS" likely would not be enough to be absorbed by capillaries under the tongue and reach the CNS to produce that pronounced of an effect in such a small period of time. The fact that you researched the symptoms before hand shows that you were anticipating a likelihood of similar adverse reactions  and possibly instilled anxiety that otherwise would not have been there.

@Tolerant, I have very little anxiety so I cannot really say that Rhodiola calms me down all. The only Rhodiola I've found effective is Ceretropic's Super Rhodiola.

• like x 1

#5 Shane Minor

• 36 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

Please do not take this the wrong way but I think that an underlying mental illness could be to blame. A minute quantity in "SECONDS" likely would not be enough to be absorbed by capillaries under the tongue and reach the CNS to produce that pronounced of an effect in such a small period of time. The fact that you researched the symptoms before hand shows that you were anticipating a likelihood of similar adverse reactions  and possibly instilled anxiety that otherwise would not have been there.

@Tolerant, I have very little anxiety so I cannot really say that Rhodiola calms me down all. The only Rhodiola I've found effective is Ceretropic's Super Rhodiola.

Yes, this definitely sounds psychological. Difficulty breathing signifies an allergic reaction mostly due to something being swollen. A skin reaction hives/rash can take up to 48 hours before appearing on the skin. This is because it takes awhile for the body to release a series of chemicals, including histamine- the chemical responsible for most skin hives/rashes during an allergic reaction... In a matter of seconds, if it were that severe you would be in the hospital...

If you have that much anxiety before taking natural nootropic supplements, you should consult your primary care physician before trying any products, of course being nootropics he probably wouldn't recommend them anyways XD

Another thing you can try is L-Theanine, it is an anti-anxiety, derivative of green tea. When taken in conjunction with Caffeine it can produce Nootropic effects, better enhanced focus, concentration... However, by itself it works to calm the mind and keep you from having anxiety attacks..... Sounds like a good supplement to recommend to you.

Best of Luck,

~ Shane Minor  

#6 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

Rhodiola can increase anxiety, that's clear, and induce a paradoxal fatigue, that's kind of a strong stuff

• Agree x 1

#7 Andrej Ilić

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

Thank you all for the replies.

@Godof  My friend has tried it with no effects at all. So yeah, anxiety is to blame. :(

#8 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

Андреj (did I spell your name correctly),

I sometimes get very serious anxiety when it comes to trying substances that I have wanted to try and been waiting to arrive for a long time and convinced myself that they will make me better. I can get a serious exacerbation in my condition and/or adverse symptoms. But if I persist with a supplement, or give it a rest and try again, or try it in very small doses and build up, I find to my astonishment that I have no adverse reaction to the supplement at all, and it it can actually be helpful.

I've just gone through this experience with Adaptol. When I tried it first (I had literally two tablets given to me by a friend), absolutely not expecting it to do anything, and then it seemed to work (usually nothing works for me), I got so excited that I ordered 4 packs of it from Russia. And then I would anxiously check every day whether it's arrived or not. Finally, after a wait of three weeks when it arrived and I tried it, I felt no relief from my symptoms but instead extreme unpleasant sedation. I even wrote to the supplier inquiring whether it could be a case of a bad batch. To cut the story short, now, a week later, I taking Adaptol, and although it's not a magic solution that I might have been hoping for, it's helping me and without any adverse effects.

Удачи,

tolerant

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Zalmar

• 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:32 PM

agree

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rhodiola, rosea, adrenaline, paranoia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users