Supplements for Liver Health?

liver health hepatoprotection hepatoprotective

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:53 AM

Does anyone here take any supplents to protect thier liver? I think it would be prudent to invest in something for the liver especially when stacking supplements, or if exposed to toxins from every day life.

A healthy diet is obviously the first step. But I have been taking tianeptine daily and worry about the supposed liver toxicity.

It seems like Milk Thistle is a popular liver supplement. I also saw curcumin mentioned a few times in my search.

Any recomendations?

#2 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

Taurine (hepatoprotective), inositol (indirect source of glucoronic acid; don't know what exactly it does, look for studies), n-acetylcysteine (hepatoprotective).

• Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

PPC (polyenylphosphatidylcholine) and SAM-e have remarkable hepatic/protective properties...  

PPC offered complete protection from cirrhosis in alcoholic baboons and even protected rats from carbon tetrachloride poisoning.  

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9314134

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8773917

SAM-e supported liver function enough to reduce mortality or transplant in a study of those with liver disease.  

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10406187

Controlling iron accumulation is also essential in keeping livers happy.  The liver is the primary storage site for excess iron and iron is the ultimate pro-oxidant.  Ferritin is the best blood lab to measure stored iron and though the upper limits of normal may be as high as 300, many believe keeping ferritin in double digits is advisable for optimal health.  

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#4 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

I did a search here on Longecity on the same topic and found that LiverCare by Himalaya was recommended a lot.  I went ahead and ordered some and it should arrive tomorrow :)

• like x 1

#5 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

My liver protective/ health stack:
Silymarin ( mild thistle )
PPC.
SamE
tocotrionols ( ( E)
Vitamin C.
  • like x 3

#6 Fenix_

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:11 AM

I did a search here on Longecity on the same topic and found that LiverCare by Himalaya was recommended a lot.  I went ahead and ordered some and it should arrive tomorrow :)

I looked up livercare and lo and behold it contains Arjuna. I already take arjuna daily for its heart benefits, and I have not had a single heart palpitation since starting it a couple weeks ago. I was getting them daily before then. So yeah good news for the both of us that this herb is so useful.

#7 HealthyLiving

• 123 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

Cranberry and tart cherry.

#8 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

Nigella sativa

#9 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

C60oo is supposed to be hepatoprotective I think

#10 Musli

• 49 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

I strongly recommend artichoke extract. Cynarin is a great hepatoprotective compound.

#11 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:31 AM

NAC!  Heavy drinkers swear by it, it's the rate-limiting factor for the production of glutathione (your liver uses a lot of it), and is widely studied.  It's the first thing I would recommend you research.  Google "nac liver" and go from there.  I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't take it even at minor doses.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:35 AM

Does anyone here take any supplents to protect thier liver? I think it would be prudent to invest in something for the liver especially when stacking supplements, or if exposed to toxins from every day life.

A healthy diet is obviously the first step. But I have been taking tianeptine daily and worry about the supposed liver toxicity.

The supposed liver toxicity of tianeptine appears to come from a layman's misinterpretation of an in vitro study that didn't have a whole lot of relevance to the in vivo case.  Actual liver toxicity in humans from tianeptine is rare.   I would put tianeptine liver tox mostly in the category of "myth", but then I'd also put the idea that tianeptine will cause significant neurogenesis in normal healthy humans in that category as well.

Unless you work in a clandestine PCP lab, you probably don't encounter enough toxins from everyday life to warrant any interventions.   

Every new compound you take is a potential problem.  I'm not crazy about taking substances that I don't need.

#13 Fenix_

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:56 AM

The supposed liver toxicity of tianeptine appears to come from a layman's misinterpretation of an in vitro study that didn't have a whole lot of relevance to the in vivo case.  Actual liver toxicity in humans from tianeptine is rare.   I would put tianeptine liver tox mostly in the category of "myth", but then I'd also put the idea that tianeptine will cause significant neurogenesis in normal healthy humans in that category as well.

Unless you work in a clandestine PCP lab, you probably don't encounter enough toxins from everyday life to warrant any interventions.   

Every new compound you take is a potential problem.  I'm not crazy about taking substances that I don't need.

Well I started feeling slight abdominal pain a couple days ago but after reading studies I reached the same conclusion as you - that tianeptine is most likely only toxic at extremely high doses. But unfortunately today I felt very fatigued and had worse abdominal discomfort (not painful - but feels like something is not right). I had been taking tianeptine for about 3 weeks at dosages ranging from 50-100mg a day, only after work. Today I ceased my tianeptine usage. I will see if this problem goes away, then I will resume tianeptine to see if indeed that is what caused these odd physical symptoms. In the mean time, I am ordering Milk Thistle and NAC.

Where would I go for a liver function test? Do I need to see a GP or can I just go to a CVS clinic or something?

Edited by Fenix_, 05 September 2014 - 04:56 AM.

#14 Galaxyshock

• 1,462 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

Suma root inhibits unhealthy cell growth in the liver and supposably helps regenerate the organ.

• Needs references x 1

#15 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:51 PM

milk thisle powders sold everywhere are just plaind crap. all the reliable studies done with it showing protective effect on the liver have been done with IV and highly potent pharmaceutical extracts that cost a lot of money and can be obtained by RX.

take it from someone who has been using all the milk thisle powders from stores for years with no effect. it just doesnt work orally.

• Disagree x 3
  • like x 1

#16 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Plain black coffee. Possibly Turmeric (curcumin). Green tea?

#17 FrogWarrior

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

Acetylcysteine is a good one, its a precursor for glutathione.

#18 Fenix_

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

Well, I ordered NAC and Milk Thistle as they seem to have the most clinical proof.

Also of interest is the drug Sulfad, used for various liver conditions. It contains cynarine (from atrichoke), silibinin (from milk thistle), glycyrrhizin (from liquorice root), ant turmeric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfad

http://sulfad.com/Pa...orPatients.html

#19 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

Himalaya Liv.52

its the most successful product ever released by the himalaya brand.

#20 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

I failed a liver blood test in 2000 due to fatty liver deposits.  A MD told me the liver is the second most important organ in the body. He recommended Silymarin ( mild thistle ).  I took it and my liver blood test have been perfect ever since.. Now I only take it maybe 3 days a week. It can be purchased in bulk on line cheap.

It is proven to flush the liver out and stimulate health cell growth.

Currently I am researching and buying c60, carbon 60, also know as Buckyiballs.  They are reported to also protect the liver and immunity system. Many benefits reported.. I am searching here for comments.    

#21 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

astroid are you sure it was a simple milk thistle that helped fix your liver? it could have been other things you were taking at the time, and most like time also heals it naturally. as long as you dont overexpose it to more toxins.

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#22 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

Of course I understand your concern with my conclusion.  The MD first suggested just stop drinking beer.. which I did for a year.. I did not consume that much anyway.. so it was not a big issue.. There were no changes.. I had not taken any supplements at all up to that point.

So it was maybe 2 years from the initial test that I started Milk Thistle as the liver results were the same. I can not say due to my memory.. how long it too for the results to normalize, but it was within only a few months.  

I have drink heavier and taken numerous other Rx drugs due to a couple of surgeries since 2005 and the liver test results have remained perfect.  

The risk and cost benefit opportunity indicate anyone should try it for a few months to test it themselves.. as a matter of fact one of my MDs told he last month that he told own son to take it for the same problem. He also suggested to him he stop drinking.

So I am convinced it was the milk thistle myself. What supplements would you think could be better?  

#23 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

just that from what i read in medical journals, the only way milk thistle is beneficial for the liver is a highly pure pharmaceutical grade that is injectable. it also costly and with prescription only. thats why i was a bit put back by such statement that bulk cheap milk thistle will do a good job at all. but i still assume if you have stopped drinking and taking various medications over time, the enzymes have returned to normal naturally

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#24 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

Actually I went back to drinking.. as it did not matter.. I still drink.. harder and heavier the last 10 years than I ever did before..  I've also been on a lot more Rx Meds from a bad neck operation in 2005... So your conclusions are far off base..

Obviously you have not faith in herbs.    

#25 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:56 AM

just that from what i read in medical journals, the only way milk thistle is beneficial for the liver is a highly pure pharmaceutical grade that is injectable. it also costly and with prescription only. thats why i was a bit put back by such statement that bulk cheap milk thistle will do a good job at all. but i still assume if you have stopped drinking and taking various medications over time, the enzymes have returned to normal naturally

There's a commercially available high-strength silymarin formulation called Siliphos - Swanson do a reasonably affordable product. When I researched this some years ago I found there were plenty of papers showing it to be really effective, not only at protecting the liver but even reversing damage to some extent.

#26 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:39 AM

I'd say both positions are probably correct... it depends on the extend of damage to the liver. If one has slight damage the regular milk thistle Silymarin extract could probably be adequate to correct the situation. However if there was a severe case of damage, such as poisoning then I would agree a high strength Silymarin would be necessary.  

The same is true with antibiotic Rx. Normally caught early and with most infections the pills work, but in severe cases much stronger antibiotics via IV are required to win the fight. 

Thanks for the information on the better product. Always good to know of different new options.  

#27 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

d-limonene has some positive studies against liver cancer etc...

#28 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:39 AM

Plain black coffee goes a long way to support hepahealth.

http://www.scienceda...40402095656.htm

• Good Point x 1

#29 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

D-Limonene is powerful. I got off the strongest reflux meds that cost my insurance company $680/Qt.. taking this twice a day with food.. Then after 2 months went to once a day.. and after a couple more months almost never have to take it.  

I gave it to an elderly lady in her 70's who they were going to operate on the 3ed time.. She was sitting up in her recliner with reflux coming up into her ears and lungs.. She begged me for something.. I said.. I don't think there is anything.. but I will check.  On Amazon they advertised if you took this for 60 days it would stop reflux for 6 months.. So for $18 for 60 pills I ordered it and gave her 10 pills.. she had no reflux for 11 days.. and they cancelled the operation.. that was 2 years ago and she still has not had an operation. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 frabjous

• 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:07 AM

Hello,

Liver stack:
Bitter foods and tonics
PPC
silibinin
Dihydromyricetin
Schisandra
Cynarin
Licorice
Wasabi root extract
D-limonene
Betaine anhydrous
Sweet wormwood
Chanca piedra
Tumeric
Berberine
Chlorophyll
Red clover
Red foods

Edited by frabjous, 26 November 2015 - 08:21 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liver, health, hepatoprotection, hepatoprotective

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users