• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How many grams of protein on a vegan diet?

protein vegan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:42 AM

I'm vegan. I have pea, hemp and brown rice protein in separate containers. Just wondering how many grams I should be taking per day. I'm female, 5'5" and 115 lbs. I do light strength training and cardio. I think I've been severely underconsuming protein for years. Also, I recently started taking taurine, beta alanine and creatine. Any other single amino acids I should take? Thanks!

Edited by nancyd, 06 September 2014 - 01:49 AM.

• like x 1

#2 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:33 AM

Protein is generally a non issue on a vegan diet so long as you consume adequate calories. I've been on a vegan diet for about 3.5'years (we'll, 98% calories from plants), and I consume about 80g daily. BMI about 20.7. I'm generous with beans, nuts, seeds, whole grains and greens - all decent enough sources.

Why do you think you are severely under consuming protein?
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Brett Black

• 353 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:02 AM

The recommended daily intake of protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. 115lbs is 52kg, so 52 multiplied by 0.8 gives 41.6 grams of protein.

That figure should be sufficient, but there have been some suggestions that protein from plant(vegan) sources is less easily absorbed/extracted by the body, so maybe bump intake up by about 10% to account for this(although if you're using refined protein powders this may not apply.) Also, physically active people may do better with slightly more protein, say another 10% on top. So, taking these extra factors into account, 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight would mean 52 grams of protein for a 52kg/115lbs physically active vegan.

I agree with Drew_ab that getting protein on a vegan diet is generally not likely to be a problem.

Here's a more indepth examination of veganism and protein:
http://www.veganheal...rticles/protein

#4 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Nancy, protein intake also varies with age.  Seniors don't process protein as efficiently, so it's sometime necessary to increase intake by about 20% or so after say age 70-80.  I typically follow Brett's recommendations above since I'm not that old yet.  For me, protein represents between 10-15% of my daily calories which I think is a good level to shoot for. 

#5 nancyd

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Why do you think you are severely under consuming protein?

Thanks. I still probably haven't been getting enough protein but now I realize I was getting close to enough. Perhaps 25-30 grams/day. The reason I had my suspicions is because my skin around my mouth started to get some sagging, so I thought perhaps it meant I was protein deficient. It's really depressing because I always looked really, really, really young for my age and now that area shows my age. So if protein won't fix it - I don't know what to do.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: protein, vegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users