Dopamine/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor vs Precursor

dopamine norepinephrine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stan08

• 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:23 AM

Is a dopamine/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (like Flowering Quince Extract) safer than a precursor (like L-Tyrosine or L-Dopa) for long-term use or do both have the same risk of receptor down-regulation?

#2 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:23 AM

Dont know much about Quince extract or the risks of dopamine reputake inhibitors.

I would say that Tyrosine would not be a that problematic in terms of downregulation. If, then slightly.

Whereas L-Dopa can induce parkinson syptoms which arent caused by downregulation. Actually the mechanisms behind are complicated,

although reversible by certain compunds afaik.

Next problem with L-Dopa is,( longterm or even midterm ?) more free dopamine "could" lead to oxidative damage.

Dopamine on it self is antioxidant, but its metabolites are pro-oxidant.

This could not happen with tyrosine afaik.

On the other hand, the herb mucuna pruriens contains protective compunds which hinder those damages and perhaps the dyskinesias.

So if You dont want to take Tyrosine, then better use a full spectrum extract.

MAO-B inhibitors could be another alternative and they seem to have neuroprotectant effects.

I would personally avoid mixing mao inhibitors with Tyrosine or even L-dopa, since its a degradation inhibitor a given the case You´ve ingested too much tyrosine via e.g. food, could end in calling the emergency.

Edited by Flex, 07 September 2014 - 03:13 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thank yoy for the great info. After reading your response, and doing some more research, l-dopa definately sounds like one to avoid. I've been taking l-tyrosine (1.5 g, 2 X day, mixed in orange juice with a b-complex) for a few days but haven't noticed much of an effect yet. I'll try increasing the dosage. Mucuna pruriens sounds interesting. Have you tried it, l-tyrosine or dlpa...curious how they compare.

#4 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

I´ve tried once DLPA and as far as I remeber it havent felt that much. But I forgott it a bit, so I cant propperly compare it to tyrosine.

Mucuna works better than DLPA, You could try it, but mao-b was for me the best.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

You could try green oat extract (Neuravena) as a mao-b inhibitor

which is a PDE 4 inhibitor as well

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3367260/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dopamine, norepinephrine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users