• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What's a good nootropic regime for schizophrenia?

schizophrenia nootropic

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GoatBeard

• 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

I haven't been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have some type of schizophrienia, schizo-affective, depression with psycotic symptoms - something along these lines.

Little bit of background -

Went through an extremely stressful event a couple of years ago and it all started there. I was suicidal and extremely depressed along with having anxiety/panic attacks. I think it was so bad, it might have lit the fuse to what I'm experiencing now (apparently schizophrenia can lay dormant until stress triggers it, from what I've read)

Anyways, symptoms that I've experienced

-heard voices. Nothing 'personalized', but they sounded like whispers where I couldn't dicipher anything they were saying. It didn't happen often, and It has pretty much stopped.

What I'm going through now though is more negative symptoms:

-Confusion (what I like to call 'blips')

-Short-term memory issues (I lose track of thoughts I was just thinking about)

-Lack of concentration/Eyes can't seem to focus

-Pressure in the head

-Dizziness

-OCD

-Lack of motivation

-Axiety

-I "feel" as if I understand what psychosis is and that understanding puts me at greater risk. I understand it as that state when you are half-waking/sleeping where your thoughts are mixed with being alert and then drifting around to something dreamlike/non-sensical. There are times where I feel I'm going catatonic.

Right now I'm on:

Niacin - 3g daily

Sarcosine - about 2g daily (just started)

Bacopa - about 2-3g daily (just started)

Just got Piracetam and am planning on 1500mg daily

Fish oil

EPA/Primrose

5 HTP

B Complex vit

D3 vit

Just wondering if these are all 'safe' and if there is anything else I should add?

Thanks

Edited by GoatBeard, 15 September 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#2 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

Your current regime looks pretty good!

Sarcosine and bacopa are definitely going to be of the greatest benefit and were the base of my own psychosis stack. Bacopa can definitely interfere with motivation though. The noots I had the most success with for enhancing motivation, concentration, and memory while not causing anxiety were sulbutiamine and noopept. Sulbutiamine is fairly stimulating, but not anxiogenic IME, and coould be beneficial. Noopept it noticeably reduced delusions and anxiety, while also enhancing cognitive function. Another awesome noot, my favorite of all time, is aniracetam. It really helped with anxiety, delusions, and depression.

As for feeling like you know what psychosis is, your own understanding of it may not be helping you. I think it's really important to have an 'objective', fact-oriented understanding of it so that when you experience positive symptoms, you can become aware of it, relabel it, and remind yourself that you are experiencing a symptom and that it is not as substantial as it seems. It's crucial to for recovery to recognize it for what it is. Easier said than done, I know.

Otherwise, I don't think you need the 5-HTP, and it could possibly  exacerbate symptoms. Do you notice any positive effect from it?

Also, careful with B vitamin complexes, I've found that, depending on amounts of vitamins and other ingredients can give me brain fog, aphasia (trouble finding the right word), and parasthesias (tingling, from vit B6). I recommend researching B vitamins on their own ( wikipedia has a nice table with summaries of each) and deciding which ones can help you. I am not sure of the top of my head which B vitamins would be helpful but I am sure some other members would have some ideas.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Your current regime looks pretty good!

Sarcosine and bacopa are definitely going to be of the greatest benefit and were the base of my own psychosis stack. Bacopa can definitely interfere with motivation though. The noots I had the most success with for enhancing motivation, concentration, and memory while not causing anxiety were sulbutiamine and noopept. Sulbutiamine is fairly stimulating, but not anxiogenic IME, and coould be beneficial. Noopept it noticeably reduced delusions and anxiety, while also enhancing cognitive function. Another awesome noot, my favorite of all time, is aniracetam. It really helped with anxiety, delusions, and depression.

As for feeling like you know what psychosis is, your own understanding of it may not be helping you. I think it's really important to have an 'objective', fact-oriented understanding of it so that when you experience positive symptoms, you can become aware of it, relabel it, and remind yourself that you are experiencing a symptom and that it is not as substantial as it seems. It's crucial to for recovery to recognize it for what it is. Easier said than done, I know.

Otherwise, I don't think you need the 5-HTP, and it could possibly  exacerbate symptoms. Do you notice any positive effect from it?

Also, careful with B vitamin complexes, I've found that, depending on amounts of vitamins and other ingredients can give me brain fog, aphasia (trouble finding the right word), and parasthesias (tingling, from vit B6). I recommend researching B vitamins on their own ( wikipedia has a nice table with summaries of each) and deciding which ones can help you. I am not sure of the top of my head which B vitamins would be helpful but I am sure some other members would have some ideas.

Bacopa, sulbutiamine, noopept and aniracetam.. Three new things (except the racetam-family) I rarely saw in someone's schizophrenia stack, does any of the three substances work against positive symptoms? (I rarely am delusional)

I do have a fact understanding, and still getting better at, recognizing, labeling and pinpointing positive symptoms when experiencing one but like you say it's easier said than done so I'm kinda looking for something that has the potential to crush positives so I can get better and focus more on what's important for me, getting in touch with my own inner-voice/thoughts (which I kinda lost after getting schizophrenic and it became a really tough job to do). Or is the issue I'm describing more of a cognitive issue?

(I don't know if I described it well to understand, but it feels like my brain misses a switch, or the switch became dysfunctional, a switch that turns off unfamiliar "voices" and only focus on his own true "voice")

#4 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

Nootropics alone wont help you my friend.
Nefiracetam will crush your positives mate.

#5 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

Nootropics alone wont help you my friend.
Nefiracetam will crush your positives mate.

Nope, don't think so, Nefi masked positives, made me feel drugged and after it wore off my symptoms came back just as hard.

I've been trying Aniracetam (I had a sample laying around and am using micro-dosages) and seem to react great to it, cognitively and positives but my negatives seem to get worse on it. Anyone a theory why? Does Aniracetam lower NMDA acitivity?

#6 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

(Goatbeard I hope you don't mind "hijacking" this thread since you are silent...)

First of all, well, thanks for the answers to my questions guys :sleep:

Aniracetam review (in general):
Anyway, I'll post an update from my Aniracetam experience. Today I've been one week on Aniracetam, I'm so impressed by it's effect on me. I used really micro-dosages (not even 1/3 of a teaspoon) because I didn't want to empty my little bag and be without Aniracetam!
Even though I've been using micro-dosages I feel quite stimulated from it, slight druggish but in a positive way (it feels like my head is in some sort of positive bubble, especially the part where I have issues, the PFC, it feels “lighter”). Where I usually give up on reading an article or something I've been reading whole articles with a great pace and quick understanding (English is my third language but I cruise through sentences as if I love reading), vocabulary I'm doing great, I now can easier recall words when typing, when talking however, I still have a hard time finding the right words.
I don't have much to do on a daily basis but am quite active at the gym, I'm taking group-training lessons (4/5 days a week for almost 2 years) and am unfortunately arrhythmic (the moves all happen on music, and no, I don't dance, the classes I take are for bodybuilding/fitness), usually I have a very poor concentration, short attention span and I lack to learn the "moves" we're doing, now however, I'm able to follow the instructions and sometimes even notice I'm doing the moves on auto-pilot, like I finally know what's coming next, just like most of the other "normal" people in the class where I've been training with for so long.

On a side note: being arrhythmic, technically means that my left and right part of my brain don't communicate good enough with each other right? (one thing I do know for sure is that Zyprexa, Mirtazapine and Clonazepam contribute to being "slow" and/or arrhythmic.)

Positive symptoms of schizophrenia:
I have a much easier time dealing with thought-intrusions (that's actually the only positive symptom I had for months because I am in a relationship, so I guess too much haywired dopamine was partying up there whenever the relationship-stress heated up).

Mood:

My mood is somewhat the same (though, on a bad day I'm feeling more down than usual but that doesn't bother me much because throughout the day I don't really feel depressed about it). I'm more talkative and I notice that I care less what other people think and have a easier time being around people without taking Clonazepam. Speaking of Clonazepam, I even forget to take my dosages or skip dosages on-purpose because I don't need it as much as I did (though, I've noticed, taking both together seems to have an even better effect on my mental health than only taking one of them. Clonazepam is still my most effective “antipsychotic”).

Negative symptoms:

The symptoms I struggle with are my negative symptoms, they got (weirdly) worse. I'm really not motivated and/or am in the mood to do anything, however, when I manage to get off my ass I do way more things than usual. Same counts for talking, I don't feel like talking at all but when a conversation starts I seem to be able to talk more than usual. I don't know why but Aniracetam has some sort of weird effect on my negatives that on the one hand makes negative symptoms worse and on the other hand, quite the opposite. Anyone a theory why?

Cognitive symptoms:

As you can read, this speaks for itself, Aniracetam is a great cognitive enhancer without the feeling overdosed drug effect Nefiracetam had on me. (Can't compare it to another racetam, these two are the only ones I tried so far)

Side-effects:

The only side-effect I noticed is that I wake-up very very tired, quite depressed and wanting to sleep more. So my day starts like: very hard time to get out of bed, after an hour or so that I manage to get out of bed this negative side-effect faints, after 2/3 hours I feel the need to take my first Aniracetam dose and my daily cycle repeats itself.

Also, can anyone advice me on the use of sulbutiamine, noopept and aniracetam. Do they go together without interacting and what dosages should I begin with?

#7 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

Supposedly there is a lot of research that connects schizophrenia with chronic intestinal infections. You cannot even say you have an infection most of the time, but your internal flora can be very messed up. Sorry I cannot be specific, I just read an introduction from this book...

http://www.amazon.co...hology syndrome

from online discussions even here in Longecity you can read how important is for the proper function of our brain to have a healthy internal flora that manufacture a large number of chemicals used by the brain, moreover chronic serious infections of any kind, can give all the exact negatives you mentioned, I used to have all these issues from a serious chronic infection. I do not know if this is your issue, but check it out! I have been using a ton of stimulants just to feel normal, but these days I feel OK using nothing.

#8 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'm taking Green Defense which alleviated some of my symptoms (mainly mood though). There is growing evidence that the Ketogenic diet helps some schizophrenics, I am going to give that a try in the near future!

#9 mono

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

From my understanding schizophrenia can be both a glutamate hyperactivity or hypoactivity. Given the way not only symptoms can change over a period of time but also a diagnosis, the one size fits all approach of activating NMDA/glutamate is not necessarily the best approach. Obviously more research in this area is needed and even then every case is individualised, so I'd say it's best to look at your own personal symptoms and how they relate to the theorised brain dysfunctions before expecting a certain approach to work.

#10 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

I'm taking Green Defense which alleviated some of my symptoms (mainly mood though). There is growing evidence that the Ketogenic diet helps some schizophrenics, I am going to give that a try in the near future!

I would strongly suggest to read the book I mentioned, If you fit the profile and you have a gut infection I believe it could be a life changing process if you cure it.

Check also this book, the author believes that autistic problems are due to serious gut infections. Imaging that... I know a few things about autism, and I found it weird at first, but after reading the book I am convinced. I cannot imagine why her dirt cheap protocol ($10 bucks per month) would not give large benefits to schizophrenic patients (if indeed there is a strong connection for schizophrenia and gut infection).

http://www.amazon.co...hlorine dioxide

"In the seven months since the release of the first edition of this book, 22 more children have lost their autism diagnosis and returned to a state of health, for a total of 115 recovered children and counting. Hundreds more have lost ATEC points, as well as shown many cognitive, behavioral, emotional and physical gains thanks to the protocol outlined in these pages."

This is not something she made up. It may sound weird to cure autism with chlorine dioxide as an antibiotic, but there are around hundred pictures with kids in the book, their name and their hugely improved test scores in their autistic testing.

People with gut infections need very strong safe antibiotics, with large amounts of probiotics and prebiotics ( a "clean" diet also).

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#11 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

I think the picture that is coming out of the latest research is that there may be more than one cause and there is no one size fits all treatment. Having seen how autoimmune and mild brain injuries can be diagnosed as mental disorders in the military I am wary of the traditional neurotransmitter model.

Try stuff, keep journals and take control of your treatment. It's your life. If you do have an atypical etiology most docs cannot be bothered without some really solid evidence. Getting better takes work.

• like x 1

#12 mono

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

A number of different potential targets have been suggested to reverse the hypothesized abnormality of glutamatergic transmission in schizophrenia [Stone, 2009] (see Figure 6). These include i) enhancement of the function of NMDA receptors expressed on GABAergic interneurons: by increasing synaptic glycine levels, through direct action at the glycineB site, or by mGlu5 receptor agonism; ii) enhancement of GABAergic inter-neuron function (through agonism of Trk1 receptors, alpha-7 nicotinic receptors or M1 receptors); iii) enhancement of GABA tone on glutamatergic projection neurons (through drugs with preferential effects at alpha-2 containing GABA receptors); and iv) reduction of the effect of excess downstream glutamate release by antagonism of AMPA glutamate receptors, or by reducing glutamate release through agonism of mGlu2/3 autoreceptors (Figure 6).

http://www.ncbi.nlm....96/#!po=27.7397

#13 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

I got this article in my e-mail, similar to current readings I am doing.

http://articles.merc...t_rid=682327496

This thinking applies to schizophrenia also (reading the book I linked above).

#14 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:23 AM

(Goatbeard I hope you don't mind "hijacking" this thread since you are silent...)

First of all, well, thanks for the answers to my questions guys :sleep:

Anyway, I'll post an update from my Aniracetam experience. Today I've been one week on Aniracetam, I'm so impressed by it's effect on me. I used really micro-dosages (not even 1/3 of a teaspoon) because I didn't want to empty my little bag and be without Aniracetam!
Even though I've been using micro-dosages I feel quite stimulated from it, slight druggish but in a positive way (it feels like my head is in some sort of positive bubble, especially the part where I have issues, the PFC, it feels “lighter”). Where I usually give up on reading an article or something I've been reading whole articles with a great pace and quick understanding (English is my third language but I cruise through sentences as if I love reading), vocabulary I'm doing great, I now can easier recall words when typing, when talking however, I still have a hard time finding the right words.
I don't have much to do on a daily basis but am quite active at the gym, I'm taking group-training lessons (4/5 days a week for almost 2 years) and am unfortunately arrhythmic (the moves all happen on music, and no, I don't dance, the classes I take are for bodybuilding/fitness), usually I have a very poor concentration, short attention span and I lack to learn the "moves" we're doing, now however, I'm able to follow the instructions and sometimes even notice I'm doing the moves on auto-pilot, like I finally know what's coming next, just like most of the other "normal" people in the class where I've been training with for so long.

On a side note: being arrhythmic, technically means that my left and right part of my brain don't communicate good enough with each other right? (one thing I do know for sure is that Zyprexa, Mirtazapine and Clonazepam contribute to being "slow" and/or arrhythmic.)

I have a much easier time dealing with thought-intrusions (that's actually the only positive symptom I had for months because I am in a relationship, so I guess too much haywired dopamine was partying up there whenever the relationship-stress heated up).

Mood:

My mood is somewhat the same (though, on a bad day I'm feeling more down than usual but that doesn't bother me much because throughout the day I don't really feel depressed about it). I'm more talkative and I notice that I care less what other people think and have a easier time being around people without taking Clonazepam. Speaking of Clonazepam, I even forget to take my dosages or skip dosages on-purpose because I don't need it as much as I did (though, I've noticed, taking both together seems to have an even better effect on my mental health than only taking one of them. Clonazepam is still my most effective “antipsychotic”).

Negative symptoms:

The symptoms I struggle with are my negative symptoms, they got (weirdly) worse. I'm really not motivated and/or am in the mood to do anything, however, when I manage to get off my ass I do way more things than usual. Same counts for talking, I don't feel like talking at all but when a conversation starts I seem to be able to talk more than usual. I don't know why but Aniracetam has some sort of weird effect on my negatives that on the one hand makes negative symptoms worse and on the other hand, quite the opposite. Anyone a theory why?

Cognitive symptoms:

As you can read, this speaks for itself, Aniracetam is a great cognitive enhancer without the feeling overdosed drug effect Nefiracetam had on me. (Can't compare it to another racetam, these two are the only ones I tried so far)

Side-effects:

The only side-effect I noticed is that I wake-up very very tired, quite depressed and wanting to sleep more. So my day starts like: very hard time to get out of bed, after an hour or so that I manage to get out of bed this negative side-effect faints, after 2/3 hours I feel the need to take my first Aniracetam dose and my daily cycle repeats itself.

Also, can anyone advice me on the use of sulbutiamine, noopept and aniracetam. Do they go together without interacting and what dosages should I begin with?

Good to hear that the aniracetam is helping!! It has always helped me through symptoms. Not sure why it would be causing you to wake up tired. Are you taking it before you sleep? Maybe it could interfere with sleep cycles but I'm not sure, as I've never experienced this myself. As I already PM'ed you about.. I use noopept, sulbutiamine, and aniracetam together daily and they work together pretty well for myself. Let me know how your trial withh them goes.

I think the picture that is coming out of the latest research is that there may be more than one cause and there is no one size fits all treatment. Having seen how autoimmune and mild brain injuries can be diagnosed as mental disorders in the military I am wary of the traditional neurotransmitter model.

Try stuff, keep journals and take control of your treatment. It's your life. If you do have an atypical etiology most docs cannot be bothered without some really solid evidence. Getting better takes work.

This study suggests that schizophrenia is eight distinct disease, not one. The "schizophrenias". ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleID=1906049

Here is an article explaining the study, from VICE: http://motherboard.v...netic-disorders

Edited by katuskoti, 07 October 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#15 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:37 AM

I don't have much to do on a daily basis but am quite active at the gym, I'm taking group-training lessons (4/5 days a week for almost 2 years) and am unfortunately arrhythmic (the moves all happen on music, and no, I don't dance, the classes I take are for bodybuilding/fitness), usually I have a very poor concentration, short attention span and I lack to learn the "moves" we're doing, now however, I'm able to follow the instructions and sometimes even notice I'm doing the moves on auto-pilot, like I finally know what's coming next, just like most of the other "normal" people in the class where I've been training with for so long.

It's been over 4 weeks and the things I mentioned when started still applies till today (for the big part). Right now I'm on 1.5 grams (750mg per serving) Aniracetam, 30mg (15 per serving) Noopept and 500mg Bacopa.

Noopept is a great adjunct to Aniracetam, didn't notice much when I took it on it's own (feels like Noopept increases the effects of Ani).

Bacopa is the only nootropic I haven't used on it's own so I can't really tell if it improves anything, I didn't know Bacopa is actually Brahmi. I found out a week ago and already had bought this months ago but never gave it a chance (I will try Brahmi on it's own whenever my jar is empty and buy quality Bacopa).
I gave Sulbutiamine (250 per day) a week and am really disgusted/disappointed by it's effect on me, Sulbutiamine is causing drowsiness in the morning, it even caused me to feel really depressed and the music in the gym-lessons sounded so hard on this stuff I literally almost fainted a few times (like the beat was playing loud inside my brain instead of in my ears). I think a good reason why Sulbutiamine might not have worked for me is that it maybe has interacted with the pharma medication I'm taking..(?) (Mirtazapine and/or Zyprexa, anyone?)

This still applies.

Mood:

Without Sulbutiamine my mood also turned back to "normal", i.o.w. Mirtazapine is doing this job. However, the longer I am on Aniracetam the more I get apathetic, though, not really in a bad way because it also relaxes me and I don't mind speaking much, it feels like I'm at peace with this (which I am but at the same am not, see: negative symptoms).

Clonazepam was the first in line most effective antipsychotic and anti-anxiety for me but I dropped from 2mg Clonazepam to only 0,5mg a day (for weeks now) thanks to Aniracetam and Noopept, that's a really really big improvement for me. Though, I can't fully let go of the Clonazepam because of having one episode of agitation on a daily basis.  

Negative symptoms:

This somewhat also still applies. I've noticed that I stopped (over)thinking (worrying) about conversations I'm about to have, this sometimes causes me mumble bad when speaking up and/or don't know what to say. This is quite negative because I crave being the old me (very talkative and fooling around with people) but it also has a bit of positive side because I really don't give a flying fuck what others might think of me (so that part of me I got back). 

Cognitive symptoms:

The biggest cognitive improvement I have noticed is that I really can focus better on what I'm doing (most of the day/time) instead of wondering off (all day long). 

Side-effects:

I don't know if it was Aniracetam causing this but it disappeared! I've noticed that whenever I took Sulbutiamine I woke up like stated above, not wanting to get out of bed and really depressed.

All this time I've been more of a supplement type of guy and now I really want to experience/explore the effects of other nootropics on me, anyone got ideas about potent stuff that I can add to my current stack?

#16 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

Interesting how some drugs not meant for what its intended use are helpful in schizophrenia: antibiotic minocycline and blood clotting drug warfarin. Not sure if this means schizophrenia is sometimes caused by a "bacteria" or "in the blood"?

Edited by eon, 13 November 2014 - 09:14 AM.

#17 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:22 AM

Interesting how some drugs not meant for what its intended use are helpful in schizophrenia: antibiotic minocycline and blood clotting drug warfarin. Not sure if this means schizophrenia is sometimes caused by a "bacteria" or "in the blood"?

Thanks for this lead. My close friend and roommate has a bad case of schizophrenia with awful cognitive deficits for someone who was once so quick and smart not long ago.  It's 2018 now, 4 years later, I'm reading the trials (with incredibly significant results) on minocycline and warfarin and I'm baffled as to why they aren't prescribing this yet. It's absurd that people suffer while we wait around for the FDA to approve this shit.

Meanwhile has anyone tried modafinil or galantamine or alpha GPC or all three simultaneously in conjunction with the typical antipsychotics they prescribe?

Edited by Nate-2004, 12 October 2018 - 12:23 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#18 mono

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:22 AM

II have tried both Modafinil and alpha gpc while taking an antipsychotic. It worked fine but I found Modafinil a touch overstimulating like too much coffee. Otherwise it did help with my alertness and focus.

I think racetams are a god send if you are stable on an antipsychotic. I’m currently taking Noopept, phenyl Piracetam and alpha gpc and it is the first time in a year or two I have been able to enjoy music. Racetams act on glutamatergic transmission so they are great for schizophrenia! They are working wonders for my negative/cognitive symptoms.

Btw have you looked into sarcosine? It works on the NMDA receptor which is a glutamate receptor. The theory is that the NMDA receptors are dysfunctional in sz so opening them up alleviates symptoms.

Edited by mono, 12 October 2018 - 02:27 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schizophrenia, nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users