Photo

Question about stimulants and heart attack risks

heart attack

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tfor

• 202 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

I came across something REALLY concerning.

Unfortunately the whole article isn't available for free online.

I was able to read it via my university library account.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16190800

A 16 (!) year old boy got a coronary vasospam after being on ritalin 30mg, wellbutrin 200mg and

erythromycin 999mg.

They weren't really sure what role erythromycin played in this. They wrote that it's possible that

it raised the levels of bupropion. They also weren't sure what role ritalin played in this.

After reading this I'm really freaked out now.

I have been taking ritalin LA (ranging from 10-40mgs) for months now. My biggest dose of instant ritalin

has been 15mg.

Other than maybe an increased pulse

I didn't get any negative side effects. I also don't think that my blood pressure is elevated. I measure it sometimes

and it's usually around 120/70.

I was actually planning to take bupropion against depression as add on to a SSRI. My doc also thought that this is a good idea but

he didn't warn me about the risk of heart attacks. I mean I have been on bupropion 300mg solo in the past. I didn't get any side effects

back then. But taking bupropion and ritalin obviously is much more dangerous. Now I don't know what to do.

Since I'm anxious I'd freak out if I went on bupropion and ritalin and then felt heart pain or a pressure on my chest.

It's really crazy that even at 16 you can get a heart attack. I wonder if the boy suffered permanent damage from the ischemia.

I also wonder if you're on stimulants and you supervise your pulse and BP and they're normal then are you still at an increased risk?

Does this mean as long as you're on stimulants you have a higher risk 24/7 no matter if you're BP is normal or not?

Edited by tfor, 17 September 2014 - 02:28 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heart attack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users