stem cell bone marrow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Juicy

• 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hello all,

I have plenty of injuries, and possible microtears from ankles, knees, elbows and shoulders... I was wondering if this was any better than Plasma-Rich-Platelet... It seems the studies on PRP just reduces pains significantly in the experimental group. However I am thinking BMAC is related to Stem-Cell or is a stem-cell... The doctor in the US that I will do it with seems to get the marrow from your Hip or Tibia rather any other sources.  The questions I had were...

#1. Has anyone preformed this or Plasma-Rich-Platelet?

#2. If I preform Bone-Marrow will it completely fix all my tendon pains, cartilage degeneration and what not to start exercising/bodybuilding again.

Thank you all!

#2 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hi Juicy, it seems like we're planning to do essentially the same thing for different reasons. So if you're seriously considering this sort of therapy, then please also consider implementing a Lumosity or Cambridge Brain Sciences regimen (some of which can be had for free) well in advance of the therapy in order to monitor any possible cognitive effects, as I've done in this thread. BTW I was also originally planning to do hip aspiration, but as explained over there I've changed my strategy a bit.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kaypeeoh

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

PRP is platelet-rich plasma.   I've had it done as well as bone marrow stem cell treatments.    I tore both Achilles tendons at their insertions on the heel bones.   One leg healed well with PRP.  The other leg didn't heal from the PRP so stem cells were extracted from my bone marrow and injected into the tendon.  This leg still didn't heal so I had another PRP done.  This was three weeks ago and it seems to be healing.  So far short runs only but not much pain.  So far I've spend about $1500 since it's not covered by insurance.  But in my case it was this or surgery with poor odds of surgery allowing me back to running marathons.  I'm hopeful now. 

I'm a veterinarian and have been doing PRP and stem cells in orthopedic patients.   Too soon to know for sure but the few that have had it seem to be healing faster than similar cases in the past.  A typical ACL repair takes a month or more before the patient can bear weight on the leg.  With PRP/stem cells they seem able to use the leg in less than two weeks. 

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Juicy

• Topic Starter
  • 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

Nice post interesting. The issue is it seems with Stem-cell you have to get it done 1-3x a year to keep the active life in those growth platelets generating. 

#5 kaypeeoh

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

I don't agree with that statement.  Traditionally torn tendons don't heal.  The tears are filled in with scar tissue.  It's not as strong as the original tendon and is prone to re-injury.   Stem cells can turn into tendon cells.  Then with PRP the plasma helps bolster the new tendon tissue.   I'm assuming that's why my Achilles seems to be healing finally.    Once the tissue has healed, it's healed.  The tendon doesn't need regular stem cell treatments.   If your experience is with recurrent tendon injuries it may be from not allowing enough time for complete healing. 

#6 Juicy

• Topic Starter
  • 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

Are you a orthopedic doctor? or what do you specialize in. Thanks... Thanks for the statement one person who got stem-cell on his knees (He preforms ice-skii'ing) he got his repeatedly because he assumed once the active life of the platelets diminish it can potentially need to another injury or tendon degeneration but good to hear that once you get stem-cell with PRP after. It'll suffice.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 kaypeeoh

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

I'm a veterinarian, not an MD.  I have a one-man mixed animal practice and a 30-year interest in orthopedics. 

#8 Juicy

• Topic Starter
  • 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

Kaypeeoh check your private messages.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stem cell, bone marrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users