- - - - -

Nerve damage to body

carnitine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 i Impulse

• 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:53 AM

I have two individuals that are rather close to me that have run into some serious health issues.  I'll deal with each of them in separate posts because they are different sorts of issues.

The first is a 30-year-old female that had a motorcycle accident.  The accident caused her pelvis to shatter and explode upward, slicing through the uterus, and damaging nerves in the legs.  We have an excellent shock trauma unit here in this city, and they managed to not only save her life, but put her back together again.  She has regained almost all function except in the lower part of one leg.  That leg is "dead." 

Early on, I suggested pushing massive quantities of fish oil because it helps restore myelin sheath on nerves.  But, her doctors wanted her clear of everything but what they gave her.  Frankly, we all just got out of the way and let them work on the issue. 

Now, it's nearly a year later.  All of conventional medicine has been exhausted.  The leg is still dead and a special brace allows her to walk with it.  She has some slight amount of feeling in that leg, which makes me think that maybe all hope is not lost.  Though I don't have much hope because after a year, it's really unlikely to recover function.  (Look, we're all just happy that she's alive and didn't end up as a cauliflower.)

I learned about Lion's Mane Mushroom as a way to increase nerve growth.  It's late in the game, but things to stimulate nerve growth might help.  I've read all the literature I could get my hands on, and it seems like the following list might have some effect:

Lion’s Mane
B12
Acetyl L-Carnitine
Acetyl L-Carnitine Arginate
Ashwangadha

Has anyone out there had any experience with this?  I'm not medically trained but I'm medically literate, so I can follow the literature somewhat.  However, if anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear it.

#2 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Not really sure, but this also goes for the other thread: be sure to get methyl- and/or adenosylcobalamin rather than that cyano crap if your friends do start to megadose b12.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Some of the suggestions below might appear extreme upon closer examination but from my experience they offer the greatest chance of success.

There have been forum anecdotal reports of restored sensation after nerve damage with NSI 189, this is easy enough to attain through online vendors just give it a google. In my experience it caused muscle twitches. Take all information regarding this substance with a grain of salt, it is the golden child of a small cap stock.

There is evidence that Cerebrolysin is helpful at reducing nerve damage if taken immediately after the trauma. I don't know if it is effective after the defect has been established.

There are also supplements which are known to increase the length of axon generation, ALCAR is one of them.

Pregnenolone is effective at promoting myelination.

HBOT has also been implicated with peripheral nerve re-growth.

If I suffered from nerve damage my shotgun approach would look something like the following:

30mg NSI 189 daily 

Identify suitable muscle structure near affected nerve and probable site of nerve damage.

5ml Cerebrolysin intramuscular daily at location of injury.

50mg Pregnenolone daily

2g ALCAR daily

HBOT weekly (no experience with dosing this)

+ Physical Therapy

I would give up on this if I saw no improvement in two months time. This stack is highly experimental, few users who have tried NSI 189 with Cerebrolysin.

Also I have *zero* medical training. DYOR :)

If your friend wants to be on the frontiers of medicine contact Neural Stem http://www.neuralstem.com/ and see if she can become guinea pig for their latest stem cell therapies.

Edited by Mr Matsubayashi, 22 September 2014 - 01:15 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carnitine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users