dxm fish oil panax ginseng depression

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hi,

I've read studies about the antidepressant effects of ketamine and therefore also dxm & the ability for fish oil and panax ginseng to give more energy and a better mood. Till now, I never really believed it because I suspect I have "dysthymia" for years (I always seem to be in a negative mood, although it is never officially confirmed). I also took these things seperately and did get more energy and moodlift from fish oil, but it depended, sometimes it did work, sometimes it didn't and the effect was not that great. I never noticed anything from ginseng. Of course I did from dxm, but the euphoria I used to get diminished untill I was only left with an awful feeling as if I hadn't slept for months when I took a modest recreational dose once in a blue moon, tolerance I guess,

However, lately I have been feeling the worst I've ever felt - I couldn't stop thinking about suicide but at the same time felt it was too selfish and I was angry that I had to keep on suffering in order not to cause suffering to others. I have to say that I also have a little bit of mood swings, but this time it seemed like it would last forever and I gave up the hope of ever feeling normal again. However, when I had nothing else to take I decided to try small doses of dxm (30-150 mg), panax ginseng and fish oil together. Suddenly I was in a constantly bright mood, even though I had no reason for it since my situation hadn't changed. It was like I had some kind of "happy shield" , sort of a safety net, like most people do. 

Now I ran out of dxm and have taken less ginseng (used to take around 5 cups of Korean root tea a day) and I immediately feel like my mood worsens again. So I really think it has something to do with it.

Anyway, my advice to others... if you feel very depressed, at least try this combination before more drastic measures! I also thought nothing would help me anymore, so if it works for me, it can work for others. However, everyone responds differently to different substances so if you are still searching do not give up. 

xxx

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2 CQW

• 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

Taking DXM to combat self-diagnosed depression is a terrible idea. Keep the fish oil and ginseng, but please don't use DXM as a temporary relief. Like you said, you will only experience a more extreme depression after you come down, and it will likely worsen your depression in the longrun. There is no net benefit in taking DXM as it's effects are temporary and at the expense of future moods. You need to seek professional help, as your problem is likely very treatable and researched. There is no shame in reaching out for help when considering suicide.

http://www.suicide.o...e-hotlines.html

• dislike x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 CQW

• 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

http://www.longecity...oxicity-of-dxm/

#4 rebecca123

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

thanks for your reply. I am indeed aware that dxm can be neurotoxic, I rarely take high doses. 150 mg is my max. I never experienced a horrible come down, though.
I did not feel it worsened my depression like for example ritalin does. However, the cognitive decline people mentioned is something to keep in mind. Over here, it is terribly expensive anyway, so I probably won't buy again and try other alternatives. The great thing is that now I know that it can be better, even if I;m not feeling it right now. That was what I was after, so even though I don't take dxm, I have a little more hope now. 

• like x 3

#5 CQW

• 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

That's really good to hear. Depression can be neurotoxic in itself. Hopefully you can figure something out that works for you. There's a lot of good information on this forum, and if you have access to any health professionals in the field, don't be timid about contacting them. Depression is real and documented. It's easy to blame it on yourself, whether it's feeling selfish or something else, but it is not your fault and people dedicate their lives to understanding and solving problems like yours.

#6 rebecca123

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

Thanks! I always hear that it is my fault how I am feeling, from almost everyone, and I think most people with depression face this. Therefore it is indeed easy to blame it on yourself, I have always done it and even though I am gradually feeling more and more nuanced about it, that is solely due to myself and never encouraged. So I am very happy that at least one person thinks depression is a real illness. I never quite believe it when therapists say it, they get paid for it after all. 

#7 CQW

• 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

Therapists get paid for it, and I'm not sure about the Netherlands, but in the US I think that therapists are in no short supply of patients and my optimistic side wants to believe that the majority of therapists don't want to continually be visiting depressed, unimproved clients. It benefits the therapist and patient to see progress; it lets the therapist know that they are doing their job well, and will be able to help the next patient in line. Anybody who isn't a medical or mental health professional doesn't carry much weight in diagnosing the pathology of your depression. The only person who knows your entire situation is *you*. A professional is trained in testing potential causes that could be related to genetics, lifestyles, dietary habits, childhood development, etc. I wish the best of luck to you!

#8 Samuraidream

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi,

I've read studies about the antidepressant effects of ketamine and therefore also dxm & the ability for fish oil and panax ginseng to give more energy and a better mood. Till now, I never really believed it because I suspect I have "dysthymia" for years (I always seem to be in a negative mood, although it is never officially confirmed). I also took these things seperately and did get more energy and moodlift from fish oil, but it depended, sometimes it did work, sometimes it didn't and the effect was not that great. I never noticed anything from ginseng. Of course I did from dxm, but the euphoria I used to get diminished untill I was only left with an awful feeling as if I hadn't slept for months when I took a modest recreational dose once in a blue moon, tolerance I guess,

However, lately I have been feeling the worst I've ever felt - I couldn't stop thinking about suicide but at the same time felt it was too selfish and I was angry that I had to keep on suffering in order not to cause suffering to others. I have to say that I also have a little bit of mood swings, but this time it seemed like it would last forever and I gave up the hope of ever feeling normal again. However, when I had nothing else to take I decided to try small doses of dxm (30-150 mg), panax ginseng and fish oil together. Suddenly I was in a constantly bright mood, even though I had no reason for it since my situation hadn't changed. It was like I had some kind of "happy shield" , sort of a safety net, like most people do. 

Now I ran out of dxm and have taken less ginseng (used to take around 5 cups of Korean root tea a day) and I immediately feel like my mood worsens again. So I really think it has something to do with it.

Anyway, my advice to others... if you feel very depressed, at least try this combination before more drastic measures! I also thought nothing would help me anymore, so if it works for me, it can work for others. However, everyone responds differently to different substances so if you are still searching do not give up. 

xxx

Good to hear you've managed to get it under control.
Which brand do you use for both, fish oil and ginseng?

Thanks in advance!

#9 rebecca123

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

@Clark Quark Wilson: Thank you  :) 

@SamuraiSlut: Well lately I wonder if it wasn't just a placebo and I just have normal mood swings because I stopped used it and I still feel normal (although jittery from caffeine probably due to daily piracetam use) but anyway,from fish oil I didn't use a brand, just a cheap one from the drugstore, and Korean ginseng from the local asian supermarket, in tea bags a liquid form.

The liquid form was a little bit better, it gave me a sort of warm feeling like alcohol the first times I took it. It comes in little bottles. I always love taking it because the fact that it is a traditional Chinese medicine gives me an even bigger placebo effect. It also gives me that cosy feeling you get from tea on an autumn day when it is raining outside or hot chocolate on a snowy winters day. 
I am now experiencing with nootropics, and when I've tried more than just piracetam, I guess I'll open a new thread with my foundings for people with similar issues as me
(depression, lack of motivation, anxiety, bad stimulation, jitters, aggression) and list every substance I've tried alphabetically. Of course everyone has different brain chemistry, and everyone has to search for their own 'holy grail'. I'm sure it exists though, haven't given up that hope yet.
If I had more computer knowledge (once I want to learn programming but *ONCE* I want to learn everything) I would have made a site especially for that goal so people can submit reviews to every substance and everyone has some kind of overview. I know Examine exists, but its mostly about scientific results. And Erowid but most substances there aren't exactly beneficial in the long term lol. Maybe theres some free easy template or something for such a site, going to look it up.
Do you also suffer from depression? What have you tried already?

Edited by rebecca123, 08 October 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#10 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

That's funny because I'm intolerant to fish oil, and ginseng gives me the worst anxiety and bouts of tiredness.

I have found that a fluoxetine (prozac) + methylphenidate (ritalin)

or                            Tianeptine (stablon) + coluracetam  

are really good option for my kind of depression which include very strong anxiety, no motivation and asking on the meaning of life. 

#11 rebecca123

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

Its good that that works for you. but don't fluoxetine and tianeneptine contradict each other since fluoxetine is a serotonin uptake inhibitor and tianeptine an uptake enhancer?

#12 rebecca123

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

Ok so it definitely was the dxm that did the thing; I had a major relapse this week, days of bursting out crying in the supermarket and not seeing the point of my life again, and today I took two dxm pills (along with 1 gram thiamine and an unknown amount of piracetam -1,5 gram or something) and I'm feeling on top of the world. 

Edited by rebecca123, 29 October 2014 - 05:45 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 chziime

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:14 AM

DXM is extremely anti-depressive for me as well in doses 60-120mg. I have been prescribed a medicine called Nuedexta, which is 30mg DXM mixed with 15mg Quinidine (a CYP2D6 inhibitor) that is being used off-label for depression, anxiety, and possibly other specific ailments - basically whatever Ketamine is meant to help (PTSD, OCD as well). It gave me a skin reaction due to raised histamine, but is surely an interesting medication, as you can use it for a longer period of time without so much neurotoxicity, given the low dosage of DXM.

If you want good quality Ginseng, I get mine from hsuginseng.com (cultured American Ginseng is the product, in any formulation). It is a brand recommended by my psychiatrist and has adaptogenic, antidepressive, and anti-addictive (the main reason I was told to try it) qualities. I never post here and am not too oriented on the scientific paper scene, so I can't really give references!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dxm, fish oil, panax ginseng, depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users