* * * * * 1 votes

Psychedelics and Imprinting

psychedelics lsd memory imprinting nootropic

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Farfetchedchild

• 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

There have been ideas floating around for years about LSD opening up the brain to a more imprint-able state. As things are more easily learned during highly imprint-able stages in our development, could this mechanism hold promise in the nootropic field? I know micro-dosing has been discusses, with positive, neutral, and negative results. However, I am curious if research has been done into this possible imprinting ability in general. I don't think LSD is a perfect nootropic in this sense, but could it hold clues to develop other compounds that aid in imprinting?

I'm interested in any research in this area. I believe I've read somewhere that Vasopressin may work with imprinting as well.

• like x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#2 AmyHazy

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

Most hallucinogens are bad for the nerves and damages organs once used repeatedly. I developed issues already. My theory is having clean mind and giving all the body what it naturally needs to make us get the jobs done faster. MDMA information is upon this site: http://ecstasy.org/i...nterviews.html 

• dislike x 6
  • Needs references x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

I think you'll like this paper on the neurobiology of psychedelic states - http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3909994/

In it they refer to the property of self-organised criticality, which in the brain is essentially an optimal tuning of the activation balance between chaos and order, causing information to propagate with maximal effectiveness throughout the system, but without it propagating so fast that the information becomes senseless.

In terms of developing chemical approaches to enact or enhance this process aside from psychedelics, I'm not aware of any research. Certain forms of neurofeedback however are theorised to boost this aspect over time, as well as extensive meditation practice, which purportedly leads one to a state very similar state, at least phenomenologically, to high dose psychedelics.

Also, what they theorise in that paper is that the typical activation patterns of the default mode network actually diminish criticality to a less than optimal state, and that this activity is correlated with functions of the ego. Anything that allows one to go beyond the ego would then allow one to more closely approximate optimal criticality, so things like the rapture of intense creativity, the deep immersion of flow states, the attentional attractor of engrossing love and deep mindfulness would all decrease the functional activation of the DMN and increase criticality in the brain.

Edited by OpaqueMind, 10 October 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#4 Farfetchedchild

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

I think you'll like this paper on the neurobiology of psychedelic states - http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3909994/

In it they refer to the property of self-organised criticality, which in the brain is essentially an optimal tuning of the activation balance between chaos and order, causing information to propagate with maximal effectiveness throughout the system, but without it propagating so fast that the information becomes senseless.

In terms of developing chemical approaches to enact or enhance this process aside from psychedelics, I'm not aware of any research. Certain forms of neurofeedback however are theorised to boost this aspect over time, as well as extensive meditation practice, which purportedly leads one to a state very similar state, at least phenomenologically, to high dose psychedelics.

Also, what they theorise in that paper is that the typical activation patterns of the default mode network actually diminish criticality to a less than optimal state, and that this activity is correlated with functions of the ego. Anything that allows one to go beyond the ego would then allow one to more closely approximate optimal criticality, so things like the rapture of intense creativity, the deep immersion of flow states, the attentional attractor of engrossing love and deep mindfulness would all decrease the functional activation of the DMN and increase criticality in the brain.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. That sounds really interesting. It sounds almost like a neuroscience version of thermodynamics. I love running into new ideas (at least new to me). I'll check it out and let you know what I think.

#5 tritium

• 384 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and other geniuses used LSD:

http://www.businessi...ugs-2013-8?op=1

Edited by tritium, 21 October 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#6 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

in regards to 'utilizing' psychedelics, i can recommend reading Leary's summation of the Tibetan book of the Dead http://www.sacred-te...tib/psydead.htm

as for imprinting, psilocybin was recently found to inhibit the processing of negative emotions in the amygdala. it stimulates neurogenesis and speeds up the extinction of conditioned fears, so it makes sense that it would be capable of causing paradigm shifts in learned thought processes

http://www.scienceda...40507095756.htm - Psilocybin inhibits the processing of negative emotions in the brain

www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(14)00275-3/abstract - Psilocybin-Induced Decrease in Amygdala Reactivity Correlates with Enhanced Positive Mood in Healthy Volunteers

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23727882 - Effects of psilocybin on hippocampal neurogenesis and extinction of trace fear conditioning.

here are a few more relevant topics that are worth perusing:
http://www.longecity...and-creativity/

http://www.longecity...-transcendence/
http://www.longecity...treshold-doses/

• like x 2

#7 LDK

• 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

Most hallucinogens are bad for the nerves and damages organs once used repeatedly. I developed issues already. My theory is having clean mind and giving all the body what it naturally needs to make us get the jobs done faster. MDMA information is upon this site: http://ecstasy.org/i...nterviews.html 

MDMA and Hallucinogens are quite different in mechanism of action.

MDMA is an endogenous Serotonin Releasing Agent. Means, it throws all serotonin out of your nerves leaving you depleted. Getting issues is from compensatory brain adaptations, those brain adaptations resemble the changes that are established after chronic stress. VERY BAD. In fact, MDMA induces the stress response system bigtime, that's why it feels so good!

Psilocybin is a sertonin receptor agonist, which means. It leaves your body sertonin system as it is. It has an effect on receptors itself. So in that way it will induce some stress but that's about it. Your stores of serotonin will stay as they are. And you will not develop 'issues' when you take low doses of psilocybin. There are studies backing up the fact that psilocybin even induces neurogenesis.

Edited by Lambiek de Kanter, 21 October 2014 - 07:46 AM.

• Informative x 1

#8 Farfetchedchild

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

in regards to 'utilizing' psychedelics, i can recommend reading Leary's summation of the Tibetan book of the Dead http://www.sacred-te...tib/psydead.htm

as for imprinting, psilocybin was recently found to inhibit the processing of negative emotions in the amygdala. it stimulates neurogenesis and speeds up the extinction of conditioned fears, so it makes sense that it would be capable of causing paradigm shifts in learned thought processes

http://www.scienceda...40507095756.htm - Psilocybin inhibits the processing of negative emotions in the brain

www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(14)00275-3/abstract - Psilocybin-Induced Decrease in Amygdala Reactivity Correlates with Enhanced Positive Mood in Healthy Volunteers

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23727882 - Effects of psilocybin on hippocampal neurogenesis and extinction of trace fear conditioning.

here are a few more relevant topics that are worth perusing:
http://www.longecity...and-creativity/

http://www.longecity...-transcendence/
http://www.longecity...treshold-doses/

Thanks for sharing these outstanding links! 

I really appreciate all of your responses. This is a really interesting video I've found on psilocybin I highly recommend watching:

There are actually very few hallucinogens that seem to be damaging. At least not any of the traditional phenylethylamines or tryptamines. MDMA is, as said above, a bit different. It does indeed have a level of neurotoxicity, although this can be fairly negligible if responsible measures are taken.

Psychedelics, as are, aren't perfect for our purposes (at least in the purely nootropic sense). However, it does seem that if given proper research, that they have immense possibilities. In the area of mental health alone it's sad to me how much potential has been wasted by restricting study in that area. Who knows where Sasha Shulgin's research alone could have lead if people were to look at these substances objectively? 

• like x 1

#9 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

The very best book ever written on this topic is "Info-Psychology" by Timothy leary.

He demonstrates clear neuro-biological, epigenetic and psychological/philosophical insights.

Here are some quotes:

PREFACE TO FIRST EDITION

Life on the Planet Earth, through the instrumentality of the human nervous system, has begun to migrate from the Womb Planet, to escape from gene pools, to establish colonies in high orbit, from whence it can more accessibly contact and communicate with Life in the Galaxy.

Rocket-ships have attained the escape velocity necessary to ascend beyond the gravitational pull of the womb-planet.
Radio-telescope "dishes" now look out to the stars, ready to receive elctro-magnetic messages from intelligent neighbors.

Electronic signals are now transmitting through interstellar space the message of human readiness to ex-change and com-unicate.

The suspicion grows that we, who are about to leave this small satellite of a peripheral star, are neither alone nor isolated.

Within the life-time of many who read these lines, it could happen: our pioneer families will leave the solar system; interstellar messages will be received; contact will be made. The galactic discussion will begin.

It is about time to prepare for life in space as members of new, consciously selected gene pools.

It is about time to develop a philosophy, a psychology, the language to enable us to listen, understand, and respond intelligently to our interstellar neighbors.

The language is quantum, digital, psychogeometric.

Some among us will protest that human intelligence and human resources should be used to solve the agonizing terrestrial problems of unequal distribution.

These larval protests, however sincere, are embryonic, understandable and myopic.

The crisis of suffering and scarcity which now threatens humanity is not material. It is neuro—political warfare.

It has been called spiritual, psychological, philosophic. It is best described as navigational. Humanity has not yet deciphered the generic code. The compass, the guide-book is now being prepared.

Men and women who know from whence they come and where they are going, who share a vision beyond the local-mundane will emerge from the larval gene-pools and as cyber (pilot) individuals, who learn quickly, work effectively, grow naturally, socialize lovingly and evolve gracefully. It is probably true that species coast along on serene stupidity until faced with an evolutionary challenge; at which point individuals leave the primitive collectives and become very smarter very faster.

This book, a simple-minded attempt to provide a perspective of biological evolution on and from this planet, presents hundreds of neogenetic ideas for which some individual from every gene-pool are now ready. The transmission is presented in machine-printed letters although the topics discussed are electro-magnetic and quantum-physical. The reader should expect, therefore, that hir conditioned symbol-system is going to be jolted with unexpected and novel symbol combinations. This is exactly the situation that will exist when Higher Intelligence begins to talk cyber-quantum with a species of mechanical thinkers.

A human from the twentieth century would find it a most difficult and delicate task to explain "now" to a tool-maker from the sixteenth century. The sophisticated reader can avoid being irritated by some of the metaphors in this book if cultural time-lag is kept in mind.

Some good-will and open-ness towards the future is necessary in interspecies dialogues of this sort. 

The importance of this post-terrestrial guidebook is that it exists. Here is a first attempt to prepare humanity for the outward journey, for post-terrestrial migration to the Info-Worlds.

Other and more sophisticated Info-psychologies will follow. Is there any more interesting or vital thing to do than to create futures?

The first attempt is deliberately eclectic and translational—linking the religious-occult to the scientific; the antique to the futique; the legends of the past to the data of the present.

We have suggested eight periods and twenty-four stages of neurological evolution as a didactic metaphor to anticipate, to specify, to order, to personalize, to familiarize the immense post- mechanical, meta-personal, post-Newtonian electron fields which are to be imprinted.

The illustrative metaphors are not important. What is crucial to humanity's graceful mutation is the understanding and personal application of Einsteinian, neuro-genetic, quantum-physical perspectives of who we are and whom we choose to become. 

1. Info-Psychology Is the Science Which Studies the Evolution of the Nervous System from its Terrestrial-Mechanical-Collective Stages to its Post-terrestrial-Quantum-Cyber stages.

At the same time the psychology of the Industrial Age was becoming a priestly techno-religion, the chemical, physical, information and biological sciences were quietly producing theories, facts and techniques which have profound implications for the changing of human nature.

The psychologies of the Industrial Age, (1850-1975), while claiming to measure thinking, consciousness and behavior, for the most part studied the adjustment-maladjustment of human beings to social rituals and culturally defined constraint systems. Appearing at a time when feudal theology was losing its meaning for the growing class of semi-educated, mechanical psychology provided a comforting rationale for domestication, a soothing pseudo-scientific language for supporting the values of the factory culture.

Industrial psychology, in spite of enormous, state-supported bureaucracies and its priesthood mystique, produced no verifiable theories for explaining human behavior nor any methods for solving the classic problems of human society—crime, war, conflict, alienation, prejudice, stupidity, boredom, aggression, unhappiness, and philosphic ignorance about the meaning of life.

At the same time the psychology of the Industrial Age was becoming a priestly techno-religion, the chemical, physical, information and biological sciences were quietly producing theories, facts and techniques which have profound implications for the changing of human nature.

Neurology locates the source of consciousness, memory, learning, and behavior in the nervous system—a one hundred billion cell bio-computer for which the body is transportational robot.

Clearly if we wish to understand and improve our mental, emotional and behavior functions, the locus of investigation is the nervous system. The person who can dial and tune the receptive, integrative, transmitting circuits of the nervous system is not just more intelligent, but can be said to operate at a higher and more complex level of evolution.

Pre-cyber humans maintain a rigid taboo about discussing or tampering with their nervous systems—a phobia which is based on a primitive fear of the unknown and a superstitious reluctance to learn how to know. It is now evident that the nervous system is an incredibly powerful instrument for conscious evolution which can be understood and employed for genetic tasks by those who accept the "pilot" responsibility.

Ethology which studies animal behavior in the natural and experimental setting, has demonstrated the robot-instinctual nature of neural discrimination and the role of imprinting in determining when, and towards what, animal behavior is initiated.

Industrial Psychologists have failed to apply the findings of ethology to the human situation. The fact that most human emotional, mental, sexual and ethical behavior is based on accidental imprinting of the nervous system during "critical" or "sensitive" periods of development is unsettling to mechanical-age cultures. If individuals learn how they were imprinted, they can learn how to re-imprint or reprogram their brains.

Neurochemistry has recently discovered that neurotransmitter chemicals which facilitate/inhibit nerve impulses and synaptic connections determine consciousness, emotion, memory, learning and behavior.

Psychopharmacology at the same time has discovered botanical and synthetic psycho-active agents which facilitate/inhibit states of consciousness, accelerate or dampen mental function, and permit cyber-persons to re-program.

Information Sciences: Around the turn of the century quantum physics presented three startling concepts which were to change human life. They can be paraphrased and popularized as follows:

1. Einstein's Relativity equations suggested that everything (and everyone) is moving at velocities and directions which can best (or only) be determined in relationship to other moving units. The social and psychological implications are obvious. 

Radio! Film! Movies! Television! Portable sound cassettes! Computer! Self-administered psycho- drugs! Microwave ovens! Compact Disks! CB radios! — Each preparing us to live choicefully, extravagantly in the Info-world!

2. The equations of Quantum Physics suggested that everything in the universe is made up of bits or elemental units of information. Solid Newtonian matter now becomes waves or clouds of on/off probabilities. Realities could be explained metaphorically as screens of digitized patterns.

3. Werner Heisenberg contributed a third idea which defines an Information Universe. His "uncertainty" axiom holds that our observations fabricate the subject matter, i.e. realities. We can only know what our sense—organs, our measuring instruments and our paradigms or maps describe.

These three principles which define the Info-universe were first expressed with paleolithic tools, chalk formulae on black boards. Almost no one could understand or accept this hallucinatory world in which everything is continually changing, is relative to viewpoint and dependent on our psychological attitude and info-technology.

We can now see in retrospect that the historical genetic task of the Roaring 20th Century has been to dissolve our psychological attachment to solid, Newtonian structures and to familiarize us, to help us, feel comfortable inhabiting these digitized Info-worlds.

The task of personalizing and popularizing new "mystical" philosophic themes has always been assigned to special genetic castes—artists, writers, poets, bards, minstrels, story-tellers. So it was the Impressionists, Expressionists, Cubists, Pointillistes, Surrealists and others of this rowdy group who persuaded us to accept visual reality in terms of shifting planes and shimmering colors.

The Jazz musicians gave sound to the Quantum principles. They improvised, syncopated, piloted. Best of all they harmonized, they learned how to form cyber-societies, pilots flying formation, attuning their subjective info-flights to those of the other musicians in the group.

Did not each decade of the Roaring 20th Century produce it's quantum-appliance, it's homey, comfortable, even addictive method of digitizing reality and projecting it on records, tapes and electron screens?

What a series of electronic product innovations! Waves of new digitized data inevitably surfing our species of Farmers and Industrial workers into the Quantum-Cyber future!

Radio! Film! Movies! Television! Portable sound cassettes! Computer! Self-administered psycho-drugs! Microwave ovens! Compact Disks! CB radios! — Each preparing us to live choicefully, extravangantly in the Info-world!

These Einsteinian and other discoveries have predictably traumatized those psychologists who are committed both professionally and theologically to static, Newtonian, concepts of human personality.

These four sciences provide an impressive convergence of evidence suggesting that the brain is a bio-chemical-electric-computer in which each nerve impulse acts as an information "quanta" or "bit"; that the nervous system is structurally wired into genetically pre-programmed circuits designed to automatically select and relay certain perceptual cues and to discharge rote reactions; that imprinting of models accidentally present in the environment at critical periods determines the tunnel realities in which humans live.

We are led to conclude that the human being, at this stage of evolution, is a biological robot (biot) automatically responding to genetic template and and childhood imprinting.

The unflattering portrait of homo sapiens suggested by the evidence from these "new" sciences—neurology, ethology, neurochemistry, and psychopharmacology — is, of course, quite unacceptable to psychologists and religious leaders who enunciate theories about "man's" separate, superior and "chosen" status among living forms.

We need not be surprised at "man's" flattering, self-appraisal. Since the "island realities" which we inhabit are defined by genetic template and imprint we can only evaluate ourselves in terms of the symbols which our nervous systems have created. 

There can be no question that humanity has begun its migration to interplanetary and eventual interstellar existence. The effects of this transition on the nervous system and the DNA code will be profound. Just as amphibian and land-dwelling organisms mutated rapidly, developing the neural and physiological equipment for the new environment—so will humans mutate rapidly living in High-Orbit.

If we can imagine an anthropological report about homo sapiens written by extra-terrestrial scientists from a more advanced civilization, we can assume that humanity's inability to solve its psychological, social and ecological problems or to provide answers to basic cosmological questions (e.g. why are we here and where are we going? Note: For some interesting speculative answers see Breaking the GodSpell and The Sapiens System both Falcon books) would lead to the conclusion that homo sapiens is a species capable of very limited robot-reactivity and that Intelligent Life has not yet evolved on this planet.

Such an extra-terrestrial survey could also report the emergence of a rudimentary intelligence, as evidenced by the Einsteinian perspectives of the sciences just discussed and by the implications of four other sciences which have significance for human destiny in the future: astronautics, astro-physics, genetics and quantum physics.

Astronautics: The significance of extra-terrestrial flight has not yet been fully understood. The Apollo missions were more than technological triumphs or nationalistic achievements. Genetically and neurologically the beginning of a species mutation has occurred—equal in importance to the first amphibian movement from water-to-land early in biological history.

There can be no question that humanity has begun its migration to interplanetary and eventual interstellar existence. The effects of this transition on the nervous system and the DNA code will be profound. Just as amphibian and land-dwelling organisms mutated rapidly, developing the neural and physiological equipment for the new environment—so will humans mutate rapidly living in High-Orbit.

Exposure to zero-gravity and to extra-terrestrial radiation are two of many physical stimuli which will trigger-off the genetic and neurological changes necessary to adapt to interstellar life. The psychological effects will be dramatic. Space migration requires accelerated, relativistic, multi-dimensional flexibility of which the nervous system is capable. It is inevitable that extra- planetary humans will be as advanced beyond current earth-dwellers as "man" is beyond the cave-dwelling ancestors. The beginnings of this process of exo-psychological adaptation can be noted in several lunar astronauts and E.V.A. veterans who returned claiming cosmic insights

(Mitchell), philosophic revelations (Schweikart), and rebirth symptoms (Aldrin).
Astro-physics has also produced facts which stretch the limits of psychological vision. We learn to our delight that we are not alone—that perhaps as many as half of the
100 billion or more stars in our local galaxy are older than our sun, making it highly probable that more advanced forms of intelligent life are around the neighborhood. Humans have so far been neurologically incapable of conceiving of Higher Intelligence. Even science fiction writers, with very few exceptions (Stapledon, Asimov, Clarke and others), have been unable to specify the manifestations of superior species, except as technological extrapolations and bizarre extremes of current human

culture.
Whatever the mind can conceive it tends to create. As soon as humans accept and

neurologically imprint the notion of higher levels of intelligence and of circuits of the nervous system as yet unactivated—a new philosophy of evolution will emerge. It is natural to call this extra-planetary perspective of human evolution Exo-psychology— human nature seen in the context of an evolving nervous system, from the vantage point of older species which now exist in our extra-terrestrial future.

Genetics has revealed that DNA blueprints which reside in the nucleus of every living cell are remarkably similar from species to species. Astronomers and exo-biologists have discovered the molecules which are basic to life in outer space and in other star systems. 

#10 wanderlust

• 92 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

hello chaps

a question I plan to put to the test is what effect hallucinogenics have chosen  on Cognitive Training.  in the areas of Speed, Memory, Attention, Flexibility,Problem Solving and language.

after many hours of  Cognitive Training on the .lumosity platform,  it is clear that I am best at Attention games and worst at spatial memory games

i theorize that one may be able to gain the ability to excel in an area of cognitive weakness through the use of hallucinogens .

the test is as follows

administer hallucinogenics

(i will not be publishing dosages preparation or administration  methods on an open forum due to the fact that hallucinogenics are not toys)

,30mins later begin cognitive exercises on luminosity

1 hour later rest and play relaxing music for 30mins
then 1 hour of cognitive exercises on luminosity

this cycle is continued until the peak has passed and one's mental energy begins to drain 

at this point I shall go for a walk and enjoy the pretty colors and deep thoughts  created by the hallucinogen before heading to bed.

I fully expect to spend the entire next day in bed resting from the experience

I have chosen Hawaiian baby Woodrose for this test
as in my misspent youth
 I found that at the correct dosage one can make decisions that have a huge effect on the rest one's life  for better or for worse.........

I have also chosen Hawaiian baby Woodrose for one's lucidity at high dosages and its impressive safety record.

this will also test the effect of  Hawaiian baby Woodrose on one's cognition which I will publish along with my finding on this experiment.

as mentioned I spent much of my misspent youth taking hallucinogenics and would thier for consider what I am doing to have reasonable level of  safety for me to do

How ever it may not be safe for others to do .

#11 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

psychedelics are bad for attention and spatial memory.  green tea (+180%) and bacopa (+220%) are actually very good for spatial memory.

in my experience they do slightly improve divergent, lateral and nonlinear thinking.. but too inattentive, not the kind of mindset you can earn a degree with.

• Needs references x 1

#12 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

psychedelics are bad for attention and spatial memory.  

Do you have a reference for that? Because there are so many psychedelics I doubt they have a common side effect like that. In my exprience mushrooms (one in a while) don't have a negative effect on attention or spatial memory.

#13 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

I'm not saying long-term, more like while you're intoxicated.. i wouldn't try to take a chemistry test while tripping.  But i'm sure if you abuse mushies/lsd enough (especially people over 45 or under 25), there will be serotonergic / glutamatergic damage and persisting deficits (not limited to memory).

Stuff that brings down 5-ht2a long-term likely causes memory disruptions, anything from mdai to doi.  And that's how classic psyches work: 5-ht2a.  Granted newer stuff works differently, e.g. salvia and dxm, but from what i gather these also disrupt memory.

J Cogn Neurosci. 2005 Oct;17(10):1497-508.

Using psilocybin to investigate the relationship between attention, working memory, and the serotonin 1A and 2A receptors.

Carter OL1, Burr DC, Pettigrew JD, Wallis GM, Hasler F, Vollenweider FX.

Abstract

Increasing evidence suggests a link between attention, working memory, serotonin (5-HT), and prefrontal cortex activity. In an attempt to tease out the relationship between these elements, this study tested the effects of the hallucinogenic mixed 5-HT1A/2A receptor agonist psilocybin alone and after pretreatment with the 5-HT2A antagonist ketanserin. Eight healthy human volunteers were tested on a multiple-object tracking task and spatial working memory task under the four conditions: placebo, psilocybin (215 microg/kg), ketanserin (50 mg), and psilocybin and ketanserin. Psilocybin significantly reduced attentional tracking ability, but had no significant effect on spatial working memory [however, see for a discussion on spatial memory: https://books.google...QBAJ&pg=PA128],suggesting a functional dissociation between the two tasks. Pretreatment with ketanserin did not attenuate the effect of psilocybin on attentional performance, suggesting a primary involvement of the 5-HT1A receptor in the observed deficit. Based on physiological and pharmacological data, we speculate that this impaired attentional performance may reflect a reduced ability to suppress or ignore distracting stimuli rather than reduced attentional capacity. The clinical relevance of these results is also discussed.

Psychiatr Pol. 2013 Nov-Dec;47(6):1157-67.

[The impact of psilocybin on visual perception and spatial orientation--neuropsychological approach].

[Article in Polish]

Jastrzebski M, Bala A.

Abstract

Psilocybin is a substance of natural origin, occurring in hallucinogenic mushrooms (most common in the Psilocybe family). After its synthesis in 1958 research began on its psychoactive properties, particularly strong effects on visual perception and spatial orientation. Due to the very broad spectrum of psilocybin effects research began on the different ranges of its actions--including the effect on physiological processes (such as eye saccada movements). Neuro-imaging and neurophysiological research (positron emission tomography-PET and electroencephalography-EEG), indicate a change in the rate of metabolism of the brain and desync cerebral hemispheres. Experimental studies show the changes in visual perception and distortion from psilocybin in the handwriting style of patients examined. There are widely described subjective experiences reported by the subjects. There are also efforts to apply testing via questionnaire on people under the influence of psilocybin, in the context of the similarity of psilocybin-induced state to the initial stages of schizophrenia, as well as research aimed at creating an 'artificial' model of the disease.

Edited by gamesguru, 14 November 2016 - 04:49 PM.

#14 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:34 PM

I'm not saying long-term, more like while you're intoxicated.. i wouldn't try to take a chemistry test while tripping.  But i'm sure if you abuse mushies/lsd enough (especially people over 45 or under 25), there will be serotonergic / glutamatergic damage and persisting deficits (not limited to memory).

Stuff that brings down 5-ht2a long-term likely causes memory disruptions, anything from mdai to doi.  And that's how classic psyches work: 5-ht2a.  Granted newer stuff works differently, e.g. salvia and dxm, but from what i gather these also disrupt memory.

J Cogn Neurosci. 2005 Oct;17(10):1497-508.

Using psilocybin to investigate the relationship between attention, working memory, and the serotonin 1A and 2A receptors.

Carter OL1, Burr DC, Pettigrew JD, Wallis GM, Hasler F, Vollenweider FX.

Abstract

Increasing evidence suggests a link between attention, working memory, serotonin (5-HT), and prefrontal cortex activity. In an attempt to tease out the relationship between these elements, this study tested the effects of the hallucinogenic mixed 5-HT1A/2A receptor agonist psilocybin alone and after pretreatment with the 5-HT2A antagonist ketanserin. Eight healthy human volunteers were tested on a multiple-object tracking task and spatial working memory task under the four conditions: placebo, psilocybin (215 microg/kg), ketanserin (50 mg), and psilocybin and ketanserin. Psilocybin significantly reduced attentional tracking ability, but had no significant effect on spatial working memory [however, see for a discussion on spatial memory: https://books.google...QBAJ&pg=PA128],suggesting a functional dissociation between the two tasks. Pretreatment with ketanserin did not attenuate the effect of psilocybin on attentional performance, suggesting a primary involvement of the 5-HT1A receptor in the observed deficit. Based on physiological and pharmacological data, we speculate that this impaired attentional performance may reflect a reduced ability to suppress or ignore distracting stimuli rather than reduced attentional capacity. The clinical relevance of these results is also discussed.

Psychiatr Pol. 2013 Nov-Dec;47(6):1157-67.

[The impact of psilocybin on visual perception and spatial orientation--neuropsychological approach].

[Article in Polish]

Jastrzebski M, Bala A.

Abstract

Psilocybin is a substance of natural origin, occurring in hallucinogenic mushrooms (most common in the Psilocybe family). After its synthesis in 1958 research began on its psychoactive properties, particularly strong effects on visual perception and spatial orientation. Due to the very broad spectrum of psilocybin effects research began on the different ranges of its actions--including the effect on physiological processes (such as eye saccada movements). Neuro-imaging and neurophysiological research (positron emission tomography-PET and electroencephalography-EEG), indicate a change in the rate of metabolism of the brain and desync cerebral hemispheres. Experimental studies show the changes in visual perception and distortion from psilocybin in the handwriting style of patients examined. There are widely described subjective experiences reported by the subjects. There are also efforts to apply testing via questionnaire on people under the influence of psilocybin, in the context of the similarity of psilocybin-induced state to the initial stages of schizophrenia, as well as research aimed at creating an 'artificial' model of the disease.

Curious...

*spock from star trek -moment*

Permanent 5ht2a-downregulation, you say? I wonder... could hallucinogen-use then cause permanent, or semi-permanent, alterations to your SLEEP-structure?? As you probably know, 5ht2a-antagonists hold immense possibility for the treatment of sleep-disorders - enhancing and prolonging Delta slow-wave-sleep.

The alterations from hallucinogens might not be entirely benign though... you do need some REM-sleep as well, so perhaps permanently frying your 5ht2a's aren't exactly ideal.

What do you think? Would one sleep better or worse after an LSD-binge?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#15 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:40 AM

Either you get stuck in these down-regulated states, or suffer cell loss or both.  You'd sleep worse.  I actually got to a stage where I couldn't sleep without taking it in the AM, didn't feel exhausted without it.

I'm not sure what's going on with ginseng, maybe a presynaptic agonist at physiologic doses.  Bacopa is more potent.  I had to cut it out for the longest time, because it was messing my serotonin up again (even at <100mg).  To recover fully I stuck for the longest time to just a regimen of grapefruit, ginseng, exercise and tea.  Slowly, I am putting bacopa back in, and am enjoying more tolerance to large doses (300mg) and a sensitivity to the helpful effects.  To me this suggests the above regimen has healed serotonin and glutamate terminals in a way you don't see on monkey studies with simple dry foods (that don't provide the key flavonoids).

Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011 Aug;216(4):589-99. doi: 10.1007/s00213-011-2252-1. Epub 2011 Mar 22.

Identification of antidepressant-like ingredients in ginseng root (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer) using a menopausal depressive-like state in female mice: participation of 5-HT2A receptors.

Yamada N1, Araki H, Yoshimura H.

Abstract

RATIONALE:

After reports of adverse effects with hormone replacement therapy, such as reproductive and breast cancer and coronary heart disease, much attention has been given to the development of new remedies to alleviate menopausal depression in women, but methods for their preclinical evaluation have not been clarified. We previously developed a procedure to predict the drug effect on the menopausal depressive-like state in female mice.

OBJECTIVES:

We attempted to identify psychoactive components from ginseng root, one of the earliest known materials for menopausal disorder, and to clarify the possible mechanism involved.

METHODS:

As an index of a depressive-like state, we used the prolongation of immobility time induced by an ovariectomy during the forced swimming test. Chronic treatment with the candidate substance began the day after ovariectomy and continued for 14 days. To examine whether the 5-HT(2A) receptor antagonist ritanserin antagonized the antidepressant-like effect of ginsenoside Rb(1), ritanserin was given as pretreatment 15 min before the daily administration of ginsenoside Rb(1) and the antagonistic effect was compared with ginsenoside Rb(1) alone.

RESULTS:

Ginsenoside Rb(1) and compound K were active ingredients that dose-dependently prevented the prolongation of immobility time induced by ovariectomy. Co-administration of ritanserin, a 5-HT(2A)-receptor antagonist, antagonized the effect of ginsenoside Rb(1).

CONCLUSIONS:

We suggest that ginsenoside Rb(1) and its metabolite, compound K, are antidepressant-like components of the ginseng root, and that 5-HT(2A) receptors may play an important role in mediating the antidepressant-like effect of ginsenoside Rb(1).

J Ethnopharmacol. 2013 Sep 16;149(2):597-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2013.07.005. Epub 2013 Jul 16.

Effects of red ginseng extract on sleeping behaviors in human volunteers.

Han HJ1, Kim HY, Choi JJ, Ahn SY, Lee SH, Oh KW, Kim SY.

Abstract

ETHNOPHARMACOLOGICAL RELEVENCE:

The ginseng root has been traditionally used as a sedative in oriental countries. However, the condition "ginseng abuse syndrome" (GAS), defined as hypertension, nervousness, sleeplessness, skin eruption, and morning diarrhea, was coined as a result of a study of people who had been using a variety of ginseng preparations. However, we reported that administration of RGE increased rapid eye movement (REM) and non rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep via GABAergic systems in animals. Therefore, this study was performed to investigate how red ginseng extract (RGE) affects sleeping behaviors in human volunteers.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

RGE (1500 mg) was orally administered to young male healthy volunteers (from 15 to 37 years old ages, n=15) three times a day for 7 days. Overnight polysomnographic (PSG) studies were performed two times, 1 day before and 7 days after RGE administration. We investigated differences in sleep architecture parameters such as total sleep time (TST), sleep efficacy (SE: total sleep time/time in bed), proportion of each sleep stage, and wakefulness after sleep onset (WASO) between baseline PSG and PSG after RGE administration.

RESULTS:

Total wake time (TWT) was significantly reduced (P<0.05) and SE was increased (P<0.05), although slow wave sleep stage 1 (N1) was reduced (P<0.01) and non-rapid eye movement (REM) sleep was increased (P<0.03) after administration.

CONCLUSION:

From these results, it is presumed that RGE intake would improve the quality of sleep, thus having beneficial effects on sleep disturbed subjects.

Ginkgo also shows promising effects, not what you would expect from a stimulant.  Like ginseng it has antagonist properties at GABA sites, and regulating those might explain the improved sleep.

Pharmacopsychiatry. 2001 Mar;34(2):50-9.

Polysomnographic effects of adjuvant ginkgo biloba therapy in patients with major depression medicated with trimipramine.

Hemmeter U1, Annen B, Bischof R, Brüderlin U, Hatzinger M, Rose U, Holsboer-Trachsler E.

Abstract

Sleep disturbance and cognitive impairment are frequent complaints of depressed patients under standard antidepressant medication. Therefore, additional therapies are required which specifically focus on the improvement of these deficits without exerting major side effects. Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb) has been shown to improve cognitive abilities in elderly subjects and in patients with disorders of the dementia spectrum. Animal studies surmise that EGb may reduce CRH activity, which is substantially related to depressive mood and behavior, predominantly cognition and sleep. An open non-randomized pilot study has been conducted to investigate the effects of ginkgo biloba extract (EGb Li 1370) on cognitive performance and sleep regulation in depressed inpatients. 16 patients were treated with a trimipramine (T)-monotherapy (200 mg) for six weeks. In eight of the 16 patients, an adjunct EGb therapy (240 mg/d) was applied for four weeks after a baseline week, the other eight patients remained on trimipramine monotherapy (200 mg) during the entire study. Polysomnography, cognitive psychomotor performance and psychopathology were assessed at baseline, after short-term and long-term adjunct EGb treatment, and after one week of ginkgo discontinuation (at the respective evaluation times in the eight patients on T-monotherapy). This report focuses on the results of EGb on sleep EEG pattern. EGb significantly improved sleep pattern by an increase of sleep efficiency and a reduction of awakenings. In addition, sleep stage 1 and REM-density were reduced, while stage 2 was increased. Non-REM sleep, predominantly slow wave sleep in the first sleep cycle, was significantly enhanced compared to trimipramine monotherapy. Discontinuation of EGb reversed most of these effects. Based on the animal data, these results suggest that EGb may improve sleep continuity and enhance Non-REM sleep due to a weakening of tonic CRH-activity. The compensation of the deficient Non-REM component in depression by the EGb application may provide a new additional treatment strategy, especially in the treatment of the depressive syndrome with sleep disturbance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psychedelics, lsd, memory, imprinting, nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users