Nicotinamide Riboside (NR)/Niagen vendor vetting and discussion

nr vendors niagen vendors

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#151 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:56 AM

It is the start of summer. Has anyone not been able to buy NR from their preferred vendor? I don't believe that Chromadex is halting sales to vendors as it claims.    

#152 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:52 AM

Ive had this ebay reply

I found a drafted mail from Dr Hertzog about another query so I hope this one will answer your question :-

"Chromadex own the proprietary rights to NR in the USA and produce a good quality product, which they supply to various
distributors in differing strengths. Niagen as promoted has a purity of around 84% as confirmed by the CEO of Chromadex
to me personally.

Ours is obtained from a totally different non US source, and is higher purity than Chromadex, and is Government certified.
We are getting wonderful reports back as to its efficacy, and the world's largest online supplier of
medicines and supplements, IAS (International Anti-aging Systems) in Luton, Hong Kong and Australia, buy all their Niagic from us
for distribution all over the globe ! "

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#153 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

Ive had this ebay reply

I found a drafted mail from Dr Hertzog about another query so I hope this one will answer your question :-

"Chromadex own the proprietary rights to NR in the USA and produce a good quality product, which they supply to various
distributors in differing strengths. Niagen as promoted has a purity of around 84% as confirmed by the CEO of Chromadex
to me personally.

Ours is obtained from a totally different non US source, and is higher purity than Chromadex, and is Government certified.
We are getting wonderful reports back as to its efficacy, and the world's largest online supplier of
medicines and supplements, IAS (International Anti-aging Systems) in Luton, Hong Kong and Australia, buy all their Niagic from us

This sounds a little too good to be true. Does this claim mean their source found a different way to synthesize NR with increased purity? If yes, how come no one here heard about it before given the increasing interest in NR. Plus I'd guess we would have seen more vendors picking up on that more pure NR.

Or am I reading this wrong and they use the same chromadex way but outside the us?

Would be interesting to buy a batch and send it to a lab for analysis.

#154 Oakman

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Ive had this ebay reply

to me personally.

fordistribution all over the globe ! "

IRVINE, Calif.March 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ChromaDex Corporation® (OTCQB: CDXC), an innovative natural products company that provides proprietary, science-based solutions and ingredients to the dietary supplement, food & beverage, animal health, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries, and marketer of its branded, patented pterostilbene, pTeroPure®, announced today it has licensed from Washington Universityexclusive worldwide patent rights related to the recently discovered vitamin, Nicotinamide Riboside (NR). The patent rights cover the use of NR for the prevention or treatment of neuropathies caused by axon degeneration.

This is the third acquisition made by ChromaDex of worldwide patent rights associated with NR. In July 2012the Company licensed from Dartmouth College exclusive rights to several patents related to NR that include rights for human uses of NR as well as methods to produce NR via fermentation of engineered yeast strains. In July 2011ChromaDex licensed a patent from Cornell University for a method for synthesizing NR in a cost effective, commercially-viable manufacturing process for large scale production.

http://www.prnewswir...-196278241.html

Something is not right here...

Edited by Oakman, 20 June 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#155 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

It is normal procedure to apply world wide patents when you apply patents in any country. I am pretty sure, ChromaDex has world wide manufacturing and use patents for Nicotinamide Riboside. We should report this vendor to ChromaDex.

#156 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

It is the start of summer. Has anyone not been able to buy NR from their preferred vendor? I don't believe that Chromadex is halting sales to vendors as it claims.

The new strategy has just been started. It could take another 6-12 months to run down vendor inventories

Edited by MikeDC, 20 June 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#157 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

It is normal procedure to apply world wide patents when you apply patents in any country. I am pretty sure, ChromaDex has world wide manufacturing and use patents for Nicotinamide Riboside. We should report this vendor to ChromaDex.

The way I understood it is that ChromaDex owns patents to their way of synthesizing NR but not NR itself as it's a naturally occurring substance.
If a lab indeed found a different, more potent way to synthesize NR, it wouldn't violate their patent.
  • Good Point x 2

#158 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

The way I understood it is that ChromaDex owns patents to their way of synthesizing NR but not NR itself as it's a naturally occurring substance.
If a lab indeed found a different, more potent way to synthesize NR, it wouldn't violate their patent.

We know that. ChromaDex has been trying to get medical use patents. After they have a large collection of medical use patents, manufacturering will no longer be important.

#159 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

They must have strong patent protection to get the $20million investment.  

Of the 5 US patents, most are on production methods, but this one seems to cover any usage of NR in supplements.  Seems strange they could get such a broad patent, so maybe I am misreading it.  Claims from that patent below:

1. A pharmaceutical composition comprising nicotinamide riboside in admixture with a carrier, wherein said composition is formulated for oral administration. 

2. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the nicotinamide riboside is isolated from a natural or synthetic source. 

3. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the formulation comprises a tablet, troche, capsule, elixir, suspension, syrup, wafer, chewing gum, or food. 

4. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, further comprising one or more of tryptophan, nicotinic acid, or nicotinamide. 

5. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 which increase NAD+ biosynthesis upon oral administration.

• Good Point x 1

#160 kench

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

able - as you suggest, those five claims don't amount to anything defensible, in my view.

#161 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

The product in question is solve by this company under another name

Check it out

https://www.antiagin.../306-nadpluspro

#162 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

The price they charge i think another company would be a benefit .

Ive had this ebay reply

to me personally.

This sounds a little too good to be true. Does this claim mean their source found a different way to synthesize NR with increased purity? If yes, how come no one here heard about it before given the increasing interest in NR. Plus I'd guess we would have seen more vendors picking up on that more pure NR.

Or am I reading this wrong and they use the same chromadex way but outside the us?

Would be interesting to buy a batch and send it to a lab for analysis.

Ive ordered some and will drop niagen for a week and report back, im currenty on 1000mg/1500mg of niagen with amazing effects but a poor bank balance

#163 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:55 PM

They must have strong patent protection to get the $20million investment.  

Then again, Elysium also attracted $20 million at the end of last year so someone isn't too worried about finding NR or maybe a substitute.

• Good Point x 1

#164 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

Ive ordered some and will drop niagen for a week and report back, im currenty on 1000mg/1500mg of niagen with amazing effects but a poor bank balance

Which vendor did you order from previously and how much does 1g a day set you back monthly? 

#165 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

The product in question is solve by this company under another name

Check it out

https://www.antiagin.../306-nadpluspro

Interesting.  Their product page has this:

"Best if use within 6 weeks after opening."

I don't recall seeing that on any product using Chromadex Niagen.

Niagen is actually Nicotinamide Riboside Chloride.  They claim the Chloride is used to stabilize the NR, and is big part of some of their patents.

So perhaps these guys ARE selling straight NR, with no Chloride, so it is a higher purity of NR and may evade the patent problem, but the stability may be questionable?

#166 Oakman

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

"NR is a Pyridinenucleoside form of Vitamin B3, which acts as a precursor to NAD, with a formula of C11 H15 N2 O5."

^ FROM EBAY NIAGIC product info.

From Chromadex GRAS download...

"2. Common or Trade Name - Nicotinamide Riboside Chloride (3-(Aminocarbonyl)-1-P-D-ribofuranosyl-pyridinium chloride (1 :1)) is sold by ChromaDex, Inc., under the name Niagen.4. Empirical and Structural Formula  C11 H15 N2 O5 CL  - GRAS Determination for Niagen™ (Nicotinamide Riboside Chloride) December 21 , 2015 Prepared for ChromaDex, Inc. F"

So it appears the ebay version is not the real deal, i.e., missing the chloride or they are misrepresenting it, or they are trying to make an 'almost Niagen', aka, NIAGIC. Thoughts?

#167 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

Ah, good point Oakman.  So they are selling Nicotinamide Riboside, without the Chloride.

So it's not as stable.

But apparently they believe is stable enough to sell.

I'm wondering if the addition of Chloride is actually that important to make a better product, or important to make a product that has stronger patent protection.

#168 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

Hi has anyone ever used even seen this version of NR?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/...d1e8c%7Ciid%3A1

Hi guys,

These guys look pretty sketchy to me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252643479789

I've been keeping up with this discussion. Is someone recommending this vendor because vetting this one looks like a fairly easy question. I’ve looked over their current and previous internet domains and even the company the product is manufactured for has evaporated. This vendor vetting thread is where we come to find the best prices from "qualified sources" and no one can tell exactly what these guys are selling.

With the popularity of NR growing many opportunists will try and syphon some of the cash flow and I can't say this enough, "buyer beware." We have some pretty smart people here on LongeCity and many of these questions you're asking have been discussed before. So there is a reason why we need to look out after each other. ChromaDex's Nicotinamide Riboside Chloride is as far as I know the only certified product.

First off everything I've read is NR is extremely hygroscopic. See link

What's hygroscopic? Now I'm not a chemist but this point has never been challenged on LongeCity. See one conversation. http://www.longecity...-18#entry661932

Here is a link to ChromaDex's reported process https://www.fda.gov/...y/ucm505226.pdf

also http://www.boostdnar...s-produced.html

So it appears NR needs to be stabilized as a salt or by all reports sealed and refrigerated in its natural state. It appears Cornell University did the work on all the salt complexes among other things and filed patents to that effect covering a wide range of stabilization options. Why the chloride salt version was picked is another question but it's not the only one but I bet it had the best shelf life at room temperature. If these guys are using a different method they need to disclose that because not all these stabilization methods have been qualified as safe and only one has a GRAS certification.

For instance see "Furthermore, while several of the previously described preparations of anomerically pure NR salt crystals have been bromide rather than chloride salts, bromide salts may be unnecessarily toxic or otherwise undesirable as a pharmaceutical salt form compared to corresponding chloride salts.

Everyone can buy what they want but there are underlying reasons why ChromaDex is paying for the Patent rights from Cornell University and Dartmouth College. In total ChromaDex made 3 patent acquisitions covering the Production of, Stabilization and Uses. Anthony Sauve, Charles M. Brenner have a wide array of patents claims along the production processes and Dr. Jeffrey Milbrandt at Washington University covered treatments on neuropathies among other things. The patents are linked by the 3 researchers above and ChromaDex and Proctor and Gamble also have filings representing their current and proposed processes and uses.

This eBay vendor should give you reason for pause, they quote Professor Aubrey de Grey on http://antiaging-worldwide.com:

"This is a very recent newcomer on to the AAM scene, and we will be producing it in the form of Niagic. Sometimes wrongly attributed to Dr David Sinclair at Harvard Medical School, this product was researched and developed at Cornell University. After unexpected and spectacular anti–aging results were demonstrated in mice, it is now being trialled in humans, and has passed the first stage of double–blind trials. Already supplements are beginning to appear, demonstrating that NR helps to produce NAD or Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, which is an essential metabolite in all human cells, supporting the mitochondria or ‘powerhouses’ in every one of the living cells in our body.

Not only does an increase in NAD help with energy levels and even tinnitus, but it can assist in raising metabolic rates, resulting in a potential weight loss. Together with BG, it is indeed a potentially powerful addition to the anti–aging armoury. Available as Niagic in capsule form up to 500 mg, it must assume a valuable place in treating aging as a disease rather than an inevitability. (Professor Aubrey de Grey, Cambridge Univ, U.K.)"

And they have a throwaway email address not associated with a company domain niagic@hotmail.com

They are being rather liberal in their name associations and I doubt Aubrey de Grey or Dr Christopher Hertzog are complicate in this. Dr Hertzog's name "was" associated with the address of the company on the label but this company was dissolved or is inactive. Also Sanctuary Care is a known elderly care facility in the U.K. but has no association to NIAGIC or Nicotinamide Riboside

12 Apr, 2017

http://www.ebay.co.u...rc=1&rmvSB=true

• Informative x 2
  • WellResearched x 2

#169 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

Great post and additions ,

I did contact IAS and this was my reply

Yes, NAD+Pro is the genuine NIAGIC product from Dr Hertzog.

Should you require further information, please let me know and I will be
happy to help.

Kind Regards,
Kelly O'Dell
IAS Customer Services

----

Against my bettwe judgment i have ordered some and will come
Of niagen for a week to test it my self, being in the UK this would be much cheaper and avaliable for me
So thats my reason for testing it, i see all the warning signs and think its all abut shabby but i with ias backing ill give it a try.

Thanks

#170 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

If you have a lab to test it those results would be interesting. I looked for an association to the good doctor and they seem to be the only vendor to associate the 2 "NIAGIC Hertzog."

Be well,

Bryan

#171 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:03 AM

Is there a special link to AliveByNature for Longecity members?

I ran out of HPN. Too expensive. From what I read in this thread, AliveByNature seem to be the next best choice?

#172 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:49 AM

There is no special link. Monthly cost is $20 if you buy one year supply from alivebynature. HPN is a few dollar more from the group deal.
  • Agree x 1

#173 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:07 AM

I don't think they ever had a discount code, but they used to sell a 12 pack that was a great deal.

Now it looks like 6 bottles is the best deal.  Still quite a bit cheaper than HPN tho.

http://alivebynature.com/about-niagen/

• Agree x 1

#174 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Finally LEF came up with higher potency NR formulations (250 mg):

http://www.lifeexten...ell-Regenerator

and

http://www.lifeexten...ith-Resveratrol

Their September magazine also feature a new promoting article.

#175 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:17 AM

Am I seeing this right? Rather than asking why HPN is so expensive, I'm concerned why ALIVE is so cheap? What's in it?

https://ibb.co/fi1WWa

Attached Files

Edited by Forever21, 17 August 2017 - 12:18 AM.

#176 Ibbz

• 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:16 AM

Am I seeing this right? Rather than asking why HPN is so expensive, I'm concerned why ALIVE is so cheap? What's in it?

They definitely get their Niagen from Chromadex - see the post about 3 quarters of the way down the page:

http://www.longecity...scussion/page-4

Perhaps they just have better logistics / cost management than HPN? 

• Agree x 1

#177 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:35 AM

Alivebynature was far less $$$ per mg, but it seems HPN and others have lowered their prices to almost match.

The larger bottles of HPN on Amazon are pretty close to single bottle prices  of alivebynature.  120 x 125 mg for $59

https://www.amazon.c...keywords=niagen

Their 180 ct bottle is even better, but not seeing it right now.

Also, I notice alive doesn't sell on amazon anymore - that saves a pretty big %.

Edited by able, 17 August 2017 - 02:07 AM.

#178 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:50 AM

Nothing unusual - HPN just has gouged you for so long that you are used to the inflated prices.

Remember, the very same 60ct NR bottle from HPN used to be $18 in 2013! Let that sink in...

Their 180 ct bottle is even better, but not seeing it right now.

I do:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01NCQD4GF/

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#179 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

Hey guys! I am about to finish my HPN stash and looking to restock. A bit of time has passed, is HPN still a good deal? What are you currently using? 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#180 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

Still HPN for me...

Pro health seems a slightly better price per mg.  But they use 333 mg.  I prefer the flexibility of 125mg capsules. 

Edited by able, 04 October 2017 - 01:43 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users