Portal 2 (video game) increases cognitive skills

video game brain cognitive enhance

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cats_lover

• 149 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:24 PM

Abstract

In this study, we tested 77 undergraduates who were randomly assigned to play either a popular video game (Portal 2) or a popular brain training game (Lumosity) for 8 h. Before and after gameplay, participants completed a set of online tests related to problem solving, spatial skill, and persistence. Results revealed that participants who were assigned to play Portal 2 showed a statistically significant advantage over Lumosity on each of the three composite measures—problem solving, spatial skill, and persistence. Portal 2 players also showed significant increases from pretest to posttest on specific small- and large-scale spatial tests while those in the Lumosity condition did not show any pretest to posttest differences on any measure. Results are discussed in terms of the positive impact video games can have on cognitive and noncognitive skills.

http://www.sciencedi...360131514001869

How reliable is this research when the pre and post measurement was only 8 hours difference?

This acute effect does not reflect the long-term effect?

Can video games improve cognitive performance in an efficient way?

What you think?

• like x 1

#2 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

I guess yes.

Its a kind of a training program, so depending on the tasks You should get an improvement in certain skills.

There was a study with IIRC Supermario 3D (N64) and improvement in 3d thinking.

I wish there would be a game with some algebra :laugh:

No seriously I found only 1x1 math games ( for e.g. pre school ) but nothing with higher math

If someone has a suggestion, I would maybe buy it.

Edited by Flex, 30 September 2014 - 11:11 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

I guess yes.
Its a kind of a training program, so depending on the tasks You should get an improvement in certain skills.

No seriously I found only 1x1 math games ( for e.g. pre school ) but nothing with higher math

Portal isn't a brain training program. It's a strange, teleporting type, first person shooter?

The Mario study showed increase in grey matter volume, but they didn't try to assess what increasing grey matter volume means. Interesting finding though. I'd love to incorporate half an hour of Mario a day into my life.

#4 somethingstrange

• 26 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

I guess yes.

Portal isn't a brain training program. It's a strange, teleporting type, first person shooter?

The Mario study showed increase in grey matter volume, but they didn't try to assess what increasing grey matter volume means. Interesting finding though. I'd love to incorporate half an hour of Mario a day into my life.

Strangely I played old atari games like ultimate stuntman, daisy, micromachines etc last spring and noticed how much more reflex they require

#5 fairy

• 143 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

Super Hexagon

vqKoZer.gif

#6 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

lol

#7 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:12 AM

I bet it has more to do with stimulation than actual training. I can imagine Portal 2 is waaaaaay more fun than what's on Lumosity.

#8 cats_lover

• Topic Starter
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

I bet it has more to do with stimulation than actual training. I can imagine Portal 2 is waaaaaay more fun than what's on Lumosity.

I never played it, but i think you are right, (brain) training programs are boring but video games extremy funny and addictive.

#9 fairy

• 143 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

---

I did 55:28 s in Hyper Hexagonest with speed increased by 20% (multiplier set at 1.2) using Cheat Engine. Here a guy beating the 60 second mark with a 1.33 multiplier: http://goo.gl/aJ966U. Anybody who plays Super Hexagon here?

#10 Jun Han

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

---

I did 55:28 s in Hyper Hexagonest with speed increased by 20% (multiplier set at 1.2) using Cheat Engine. Here a guy beating the 60 second mark with a 1.33 multiplier: http://goo.gl/aJ966U. Anybody who plays Super Hexagon here?
Haven't really played that, but that's impressive.
How long did it took you, and how intensive were your practices?

#11 oppenheimer82

• 54 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

bless mario --> http://www.kurzweila...l-for-the-brain

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 fairy

• 143 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:04 AM

How long did it took you, and how intensive were your practices?

I'm afraid I can't really say that. On and off since last summer. Sometimes I don't play for a month or more, sometimes I play for an entire week from a couple of minutes to an hour. It's a shame they don't have a counter in this game. Higher speeds like 1.4 or more are entirely feasible (by the vast majority I think) but I don't really want to put that much time or mental effort in Super Hexagon since I don't perceive any benefit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: video game, brain, cognitive enhance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users