- - - - -

Hives from Vitamin D?

vitamin d allergy hives

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

I was wondering if anyone out there has gotten hives or an allergic reaction from supplementing D?

I've gotten an occasional hive or two for years now, and strangely always around the same place, my left cheek. At first I assumed it was my sheets, pillow, or something that my face would come in contact with. But nope... doesn't seem to be it. Not my soap, nor shaving gel either.

The hives would come and go, and never be consistent. I could wake up with them one day, or not see them for weeks. I asked my docs, and they mentioned it could be related to my thyroid (mild hashimotos), so I just forgot about trying to find a cause.

But I recently ran out of Vitamin D, and for the two weeks or so I wasn't taking it, no hives. The same day I started again, the hives came back. I also have noticed the hives showing up right after I get my allergy shot too.

So my question is, am I allergic to a filler or something in the vitamin D gels I take, or is it sort of an autoimmune reaction that could occur regardless of the form of vitamin D? I guess one way to test is to stand out in the sun for a while, perhaps? I know most Vit D is derived from lanolin, and expect I am allergic to it, but read there was such small amounts, if any, in the end product that it would not bother people. They also make a vegan form of D3, which I may alternatively try.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone here has a wool allergy and reacted badly to supplemental D3?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin d, allergy, hives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users