Bowl of Spinach per day??

spinach acne phytonutrients vitamins skin

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ImmortalSpace

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:17 AM

So I have acne prone skin... and i notice when I eat bad it's reflected on my face.

Some people can eat what they want and this doesn't happen...

anyways, i ate lots of spinach one time and it helped my skin LOTS, no acne later (also gluten\dairy\processed food free)...

-

My real question is how the heck do I get myself to eat a ton of vegtables

while being gluten and dairy free.. also I avoid all chemicals in food.

Any advice please??

#2 LaViidaLocaa

• 96 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

You do know fresh produce does not contain gluten, dairy or chemicals (unless pesticides, but in Europe we don't have that problem that much)?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:11 AM

I buy frozen vegetables and heat about a kilo every other day with a little olive oil. Spinach, broccoli, green beans and other vegetables. Also various berries. It's cheap and easy, heat it in the microwave. I don't tell myself I can't eat anything else because that causes angst, but once I'm done I'm usually very full. Toss in some tomatojuice and a can of tuna and you won't eat more for several hours. Don't worry too much about "toxins" in the foodsupply.

Re toxins and organic food:

http://joshmitteldor...nti-oxi-morons/

• like x 1

#4 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:15 AM

I put a bag of spinach into smoothie most days. I mix with vegan protein powder, chia seeds, banana and frozen fruit.

• like x 2

#5 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:23 AM

I put a bag of spinach into smoothie most days. I mix with vegan protein powder, chia seeds, banana and frozen fruit.

I don't know about a whole bag but I add 2oz to a cup of O.J. for a smoothie to cover fruits and vegies Vitamins, A,C,K...kale and collards are slightly better than spinach though...

#6 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

There is a relation between acne and vitamin A which is only partially understood by now. Retinoic acid itself (as Tretinoin) and several vitamin A analogues are employed as anti-acne drugs. Spinach and other green leafy vegetables are particularly rich in carotenes which serve as precursors to vitamin A. If spinach helps you with your acne, it may be primarily due to its content of beta-carotene. I would suggest to try a medium dose (5000 IU retinol) vitamin A supplement and see if that helps. But keep on eating leafy greens (not only spinach, there's so much variety!) as they contain a lot of other nutritional goodness.

• like x 2

#7 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

how the heck do I get myself to eat a ton of vegtables

What worked for me is making a very large salad the only course for dinner (think 2 12-inch plates worth, served in a mixing bowl). Daily fare is kale, spinach, broccoli, red cabbage, red onion, brown (portobello) button mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes. As the caloric content of veggies is so low, this still only represents about 2-300 kcal, so the major caloric hazard becomes the dressing/vinagrette.

• like x 1

#8 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

how the heck do I get myself to eat a ton of vegtables

What worked for me is making a very large salad the only course for dinner (think 2 12-inch plates worth, served in a mixing bowl). Daily fare is kale, spinach, broccoli, red cabbage, red onion, brown (portobello) button mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes. As the caloric content of veggies is so low, this still only represents about 2-300 kcal, so the major caloric hazard becomes the dressing/vinagrette.

Just curious, what does your dressing look like?

#9 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:30 PM

how the heck do I get myself to eat a ton of vegetables

Become vegan.  It worked for me.

• like x 2

#10 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

You can eat a ton of vegetables and stil have a cup of yogurt, or some grated cheese or smoked salmon on your salad. There's really no need to go vegan in order to eat more vegetables. Personally, I think that - for most poeple - strictly adhering to veganism makes eating a healthy diet rich in vegetables more difficult, not less - think about eating out and the healthiest option would be a salad, but there's no vegan dressing available; or you could have the spinach but wait, no, unfortunately there's a dash of cream added to it. We are not living in a vegan society, after all. If you cook for yourself, a very small amout of parmesan or bacon, for example, can go a long way in adding taste to a vegetable dish. In my opinion, the most fundamental barrier to a healthier diet is simply the absurd convention entrenched in Western food culture that vegetables are to be regarded as a sparse "side dish", whereas meat and other animal food are the ample "main dish", accompanied by heapings of (mostly refined) carbohydrates. Just do away with this this decadent disproportion by making the vegetable the main dish again and the animal food the optional side dish, as it has always been in traditional diets such as the Mediterranean diet. Thinking of a plate, always reserve at least half of it for vegetables, no more than a fourth for animal foods and fill the rest with healthy, non-refined carbs like potatoes, brown rice and other whole grains.

Edited by timar, 28 October 2014 - 08:04 PM.

• like x 5

#11 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:34 AM

You can eat a ton of vegetables and stil have a cup of yogurt, or some grated cheese or smoked salmon on your salad. There's really no need to go vegan in order to eat more vegetables. Personally, I think that - for most poeple - strictly adhering to veganism makes eating a healthy diet rich in vegetables more difficult, not less - think about eating out and the healthiest option would be a salad, but there's no vegan dressing available; or you could have the spinach but wait, no, unfortunately there's a dash of cream added to it. We are not living in a vegan society, after all. If you cook for yourself, a very small amout of parmesan or bacon, for example, can go a long way in adding taste to a vegetable dish. In my opinion, the most fundamental barrier to a healthier diet is simply the absurd convention entrenched in Western food culture that vegetables are to be regarded as a sparse "side dish", whereas meat and other animal food are the ample "main dish", accompanied by heapings of (mostly refined) carbohydrates. Just do away with this this decadent disproportion by making the vegetable the main dish again and the animal food the optional side dish, as it has always been in traditional diets such as the Mediterranean diet. Thinking of a plate, always reserve at least half of it for vegetables, no more than a fourth for animal foods and fill the rest with healthy, non-refined carbs like potatoes, brown rice and other whole grains.

Timar, this is just a little silly.

I'm vegan and I eat an enormous amount of vegetables now. No vegan dressing? Every restaurant in the world must have olive oil and vinegar. As for the main dish, just order something based on beans, lentils or sory. No big deal. You can also ask a restaurant to modify a dish slightly. For example, to remove the cream from the spinach. Of course, I'm vegan for ethical reasons so I am motivated to stay vegan. However, my diet and health have truly improved.

Edited by nancyd, 29 October 2014 - 01:16 AM.

#12 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:12 AM

I'm longterm vegan, and find it easy and pleasant. I travel quite a bit; but eating out and on the road isn't much of a problem. I think the issue is about developing the habit of eating more veggies rather than the inconvenience. And every now and then it's fine to break strict adherence to the vegan lifestyle. More important is to focus on the longterm.
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#13 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

That's why I wrote: "for most people". Of course if you are a long-term vegan, it becomes much easier to follow a vegan lifestyle, particularly if you have a strong ethical motivation to do so. My argument was about people who simply want to improve their diet by eating more vegetables. To suggest that going vegan would be the best way to achieve this goal is like suggesting that the best way to improve your workout routine is to become a professional athlete.

• like x 2

#14 baptized_in_flames

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:25 PM

Stuff some baby spinach in a blender with 4-6 ounces of cold water, liquefy it. Down it.

Problem solved in under a minute, and you don't have to worry about poisoning yourself with the crap that's found in salad dressings.

#15 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

I'd recommend against spinach as a dietary staple, as it's extremely high in the toxin, oxalic acid. If your gut health and microbiome are perfect, then it should be no problem, but otherwise it can accumulate. Kidney stones are only one of several symptoms of excess oxalate accumulation. (Sorry for the source of the sources)

Arugula is an excellent the best source of nitrates and low in oxalates; many varieties of kale are rich in minerals and pro-vitamin A (as timar pointed out, good for the skin), and low to medium in oxalates. Anyway, most people won't have a problem if they get a variety of greens, but if you eat a lot of spinach every day, your odds of having a complication go up.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spinach, acne, phytonutrients, vitamins, skin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users