• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Marketing Nootropics as "research chemicals" may be a crime.

nootropics vendors research chemical crime experience risks drug analog

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Generative syntax_*

• Lurker

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

Hello.  

The tittle says it all. 

Yes, this thread is intended to stir debate - as MUCH debate as possible.

I'd prefer to open up with solutions before addressing the problem:

(In the US) Marketing nootropics as "Dietary supplements" falls under FDA ( Food and Drug administration )

Search Results

regulation - the legality of such practice is thus addressed in civil court.

Many retailers - such as powdercity , smarternootropics, nootriment , various UK retailers and countless many others - CLEARLY label the products with dosage information and obvious intent for human consumption for the Clearly Stated purpose of cognition enhancement. That's it. 

Yes, It really is that simple. Problem solved.

(No, I am not involved with any research chemical or nootropic businesses) 

The nootropic market is indeed experiencing a boom.  

The future of the nootropic market (for both retailers and consumers) must be managed intelligently - especially in the U.S.

And, now for the problem.

Though to some it may seem irrelevant, the way in which nootropics are being marketed as "research chemicals not intended for human consumption" may have serious legal implications.

The history of selling "research chemicals not intended for human consumption" is a taboo in the US that must not be forgotten.

(In the US - when marketed as a research chemical) Sunifiram is an overt analog of the (illegal) compound BZP  - in both its stimulant effects and chemical structure. It is no secret that both compounds produce euphoria in some individuals. This can be construed many ways -  in criminal court.  (The drug BZP) "was classified as a Schedule I controlled substance in the United States in 2002"

Though not a "schedule 1" compound, modafinil is a chemical analog of the commonly available compound adrafinil - both of which have effects (distantly) similar to amphetamine - as with many nootropics (such as phenylpiracetam)  

The list goes on...

References:

http://en.wikipedia....eral_Analog_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunifiram

http://en.wikipedia....ne#Legal_issues

(Operation web trip)

http://en.wikipedia....ation_Web_Tryp 

(more recent) United States  DEA (law enforcement) operation log jam:

http://thebatavian.c...09-cities/33070

--------------------------------------

Why do I care ?

U.S. Customs (Law enforcement)  has searched/seized many of my nootropic products in transit. After addressing these mere labeling problems with the retailers marketing such products as "research chemicals not intended for human consumption", I was swiftly disregarded by the companies.  Please make sure I am the last to endure this. 

To those marketing the SAME compounds as 'nutritional supplements': I thank you. 

-such searches & seizure's have not occurred with US law enforcement.

And, to New st*r nootropics : you are under investigation by US law enforcement. Thank you for involving me and others in this investigation.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

I don't get how anyone can market nootropics (most of them, anyway) as "supplements".  According to DSHEA 1994 , this is the definition of a supplement:

DSHEA defines the term "dietary supplement" to mean a product (other than tobacco) intended to supplement the diet that bears or contains one or more of the following dietary ingredients: a vitamin, a mineral, an herb or other botanical, an amino acid, a dietary substance for use by man to supplement the diet by increasing the total dietary intake, or a concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or combination of any of the aforementioned ingredients.

Are there any plant or food sources of Racetams, for example?

• like x 3

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 Aka Poe

• 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:42 AM

Sorry to be a stick in the mud but, but, but............I am curious about this too. 

I think that TeamTLR's attempt to create compunds which were prior to mostly unavailable, is commendable.  However, TeamTLR had one item which they had on their website which was stated as similar in some manner to MDMA and MDAI, called SODM-OX, I am not quoting their exact words but something like that.   I wonder if that material might  come under the US analogue law and if someone receiving it be possibly subject to arrest? Their Exetamine might possibly be portrayed as an analogue of the recently banned methoxetamine by a crafty prosecutor hoping to get elected as a judge in the future. I would prefer to buy nootropics from companies without any products in the gray area.

Another of their unnamed extract compounds they claim is an active  opioid, many or most  opioids   are under intense  scrutiny in the US.  Similarly, a few  of their compounds are stated to affect cannabinoid receptors, and I assume TLR's compounds are none of the  illegal forms,  but I understand that lately the US gov has gone after many other venders selling the  so called ingredients of  "spice, " and the illegal products have made a lot of notoriety in the news recently and many arrests have been made regarding people possessing and or  selling such mock cannabinoids. What makes TeamTLR's items legally different I'd like to know?

It would be great if TLR  would insure American buyers  that what they are  buying will without a doubt  not fall under the American analogue law as an illegal drug.

If there is a risk some of their products might come under the US drug analogue laws, TeamTLR is taking the greater risk if there is one, as law enforcement in the US  has generally gone after sellers, not buyers so much in recent raids on research chemicals and spice additives, but to a lesser extent  buyers could also be arrested if anything they receive in the mail or possess in their car for example, if the material is perceived by law enforcement as "similar" to an illegal drug. The analogue law is purposely vague, in my opinion dishonest in that defense of such  a gray law is extremely difficult,  and it could be costly and even impossible to prove one's innocence depending on the substance.

Since they will not tell the precise chemical structure or source plants of their extracts, for all a buyer knows, one or more of their products might fall under the American analogue law as an illegal drug.  I'd hate to see anything  damage the good name of Longecity, it's website  owners and it's members. Lastly, could there possibly be liability upon  the Longecity website owners  who allowed TeamTLR to advertise their products?

Edited by Aka Poe, 07 October 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#4 Gorthaur

• 139 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:17 AM

Do you think all nootropics vendors should sell all their products as "nutritional supplements"? What about peptides? Most of the good nootropics are synthetic chemicals which resemble prescription drugs. Calling them "nutritional supplements" is a lie, in many cases. "Research chemicals" is an accurate label. Unfortunately, it's a label that's also used for analogs of recreational drugs. 

Another issue is that labeling nootropics as nutritional supplements opens up a company to all sorts of liabilities. If someone buys Sunifiram as a nutritional supplement, and they take too much and get brain damage (which has happened several times now), they could conceivably sue the company they bought it from. This happens with contaminated prescription drugs. There's no way our nootropics vendors could afford a lawsuit like this, though. They have to cover their backs.  

The Federal Analog Act is almost never used, and there's no way anyone would be prosecuted for Sunifiram. It has a roughly a dozen more atoms than BZP, and it has no recreational potential. And no one has ever sold Sunifiram as a replacement for amphetamine. I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove here. Could you explain what you mean about New Star Nootropics being under investigation? How are you involved? 

Are you located in the U.S., and having research chemicals sent to you internationally? This is ill-advised, as there's no reasoning with customs. Always buy domestic.

• like x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#5 bern004

• 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:01 AM

Marketing them as what they are is a crime?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#6 Guest_Generative syntax_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hello all.  

Just wanted to let everyone know:

-The nootropics ordered were EVENTUALLY released. 

-No further investigation was deemed necessary.

And, there is NO FURTHER dispute over the legitimacy of these products or the retailers.

(happy ending) 

- I'll continue ordering from new St*r nootropics and others

Carry on.      

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropics, vendors, research chemical, crime, experience, risks, drug analog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users