- - - - -

does caffeine have any health benefits?

vibrant caffeine

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

A lot of people drink caffeine but I try to aoivd it since I see so many people who seem like they can't do anything without it.

Are there any health benefits associated with ithis?

#2 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Yes it has... quite a few... To avoid caffeine is one of the most outright retarded "health" related misconceptions out there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24530739
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21987293
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24150256
http://www.renalandu...article/347171/
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24764514 (If this wasn't caffeine but some exotic polyphenol this forum would get a separate section just dedicated to it...)

Edited by Dolph, 14 October 2014 - 08:23 PM.

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Just the article titles should tell you my take. Most of these are available from pubmed, Google scholar, or the publisher's websites.

Caffeine & neuroprotection

Dall'lgna, O. P., Porciúncula, L. O., Souza, D. O., Cunha, R. A., & Lara, D. R. (2003). Neuroprotection by caffeine and adenosine A2A receptor blockade of β‐amyloid neurotoxicity. British journal of pharmacology138(7), 1207-1209.

Chen, X., Gawryluk, J. W., Wagener, J. F., Ghribi, O., & Geiger, J. D. (2008). Caffeine blocks disruption of blood brain barrier in a rabbit model of Alzheimer’s disease. J Neuroinflammation5(12).

Chen, X., Lan, X., Roche, I., Liu, R., & Geiger, J. D. (2008). Caffeine protects against MPTP‐induced blood‐brain barrier dysfunction in mouse striatum.Journal of neurochemistry107(4), 1147-1157.

Sachse, K. T., Jackson, E. K., Wisniewski, S. R., Gillespie, D. G., Puccio, A. M., Clark, R. S., ... & Kochanek, P. M. (2007). Increases in cerebrospinal fluid caffeine concentration are associated with favorable outcome after severe traumatic brain injury in humans. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism,28(2), 395-401.

Arendash, G. W., Mori, T., Cao, C., Mamcarz, M., Runfeldt, M., Dickson, A., ... & Potter, H. (2009). Caffeine reverses cognitive impairment and decreases brain amyloid-β levels in aged Alzheimer's disease mice. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease17(3), 661-680.

Cao, C., Cirrito, J. R., Lin, X., Wang, L., Verges, D. K., Dickson, A., ... & Potter, H. (2009). Caffeine suppresses amyloid-β levels in plasma and brain of Alzheimer's disease transgenic mice. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease17(3), 681-697.

Arendash, G. W., & Cao, C. (2010). Caffeine and coffee as therapeutics against Alzheimer's disease. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease20, 117-126.

Pelligrino, D. A., Xu, H. L., & Vetri, F. (2010). Caffeine and the control of cerebral hemodynamics. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease20, 51-62.

Eskelinen, M. H., & Kivipelto, M. (2010). Caffeine as a protective factor in dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease20, 167-174.

Brothers, H. M., Marchalant, Y., & Wenk, G. L. (2010). Caffeine attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced neuroinflammation. Neuroscience letters480(2), 97-100.

Santos, C., Costa, J., Santos, J., Vaz-Carneiro, A., & Lunet, N. (2010). Caffeine intake and dementia: systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease20, 187-204.

Prasanthi, J. R., Dasari, B., Marwarha, G., Larson, T., Chen, X., Geiger, J. D., & Ghribi, O. (2010). Caffeine protects against oxidative stress and Alzheimer's disease-like pathology in rabbit hippocampus induced by cholesterol-enriched diet. Free Radical Biology and Medicine49(7), 1212-1220.

Cunha, R. A., & Agostinho, P. M. (2010). Chronic caffeine consumption prevents memory disturbance in different animal models of memory decline.Journal of Alzheimer's Disease20, 95-116.

Prediger, R. D. (2010). Effects of caffeine in Parkinson's disease: from neuroprotection to the management of motor and non-motor symptoms. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease20, 205-220.

Nebes, R. D., Pollock, B. G., Halligan, E. M., Houck, P., & Saxton, J. A. (2011). Cognitive slowing associated with elevated serum anticholinergic activity in older individuals is decreased by caffeine use. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry19(2), 169-175.

Wostyn, P., Van Dam, D., Audenaert, K., & De Deyn, P. P. (2011). Increased cerebrospinal fluid production as a possible mechanism underlying caffeine's protective effect against Alzheimer's disease. International Journal of Alzheimer's disease2011.

Marques, S., Batalha, V. L., Lopes, L. V., & Outeiro, T. F. (2011). Modulating Alzheimer's disease through caffeine: a putative link to epigenetics. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease24, 161-171.

Chu, Y. F., Chang, W. H., Black, R. M., Liu, J. R., Sompol, P., Chen, Y., ... & Cheng, I. H. (2012). Crude caffeine reduces memory impairment and amyloid β< sub> 1–42</sub> levels in an Alzheimer’s mouse model. Food chemistry,135(3), 2095-2102.

Abreu, R. V., Silva-Oliveira, E. M., Moraes, M. F. D., Pereira, G. S., & Moraes-Santos, T. (2011). Chronic coffee and caffeine ingestion effects on the cognitive function and antioxidant system of rat brains. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior99(4), 659-664.

Duarte, J. M., Agostinho, P. M., Carvalho, R. A., & Cunha, R. A. (2012). Caffeine consumption prevents diabetes-induced memory impairment and synaptotoxicity in the hippocampus of NONcZNO10/LTJ mice. PloS one7(4), e21899.

Qosa, H., Abuznait, A. H., Hill, R. A., & Kaddoumi, A. (2012). Enhanced brain amyloid-β clearance by rifampicin and caffeine as a possible protective mechanism against Alzheimer's disease. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease31(1), 151-165.

Cao, C., Loewenstein, D. A., Lin, X., Zhang, C., Wang, L., Duara, R., ... & Arendash, G. W. (2012). High blood caffeine levels in MCI linked to lack of progression to dementia. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease30(3), 559-572.

Vercambre, M. N., Berr, C., Ritchie, K., & Kang, J. H. (2013). Caffeine and cognitive decline in elderly women at high vascular risk. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease35(2), 413-421.

Espinosa, J., Rocha, A., Nunes, F., Costa, M. S., Schein, V., Kazlauckas, V., ... & Porciúncula, L. O. (2013). Caffeine Consumption Prevents Memory Impairment, Neuronal Damage, and Adenosine A 2A Receptors Upregulation in the Hippocampus of a Rat Model of Sporadic Dementia. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease34(2), 509-518.

Moy, G. A., & McNay, E. C. (2013). Caffeine prevents weight gain and cognitive impairment caused by a high-fat diet while elevating hippocampal BDNF.Physiology & behavior109, 69-74.

Caffeine & metabolic disorders

Bhupathiraju, S. N., Pan, A., Malik, V. S., Manson, J. E., Willett, W. C., van Dam, R. M., & Hu, F. B. (2012). Caffeinated and caffeine-free beverages and risk of type 2 diabetes. The American journal of clinical nutrition, ajcn-048603.

Greenberg, J. A., Axen, K. V., Schnoll, R., & Boozer, C. N. (2005). Coffee, tea and diabetes: the role of weight loss and caffeine. International journal of obesity29(9), 1121-1129.

Lopez-Garcia, E., van Dam, R. M., Rajpathak, S., Willett, W. C., Manson, J. E., & Hu, F. B. (2006). Changes in caffeine intake and long-term weight change in men and women. The American journal of clinical nutrition83(3), 674-680.

Pedersen, D. J., Lessard, S. J., Coffey, V. G., Churchley, E. G., Wootton, A. M., Watt, M. J., & Hawley, J. A. (2008). High rates of muscle glycogen resynthesis after exhaustive exercise when carbohydrate is coingested with caffeine.Journal of Applied Physiology105(1), 7-13.

Birerdinc, A., Stepanova, M., Pawloski, L., & Younossi, Z. M. (2012). Caffeine is protective in patients with non‐alcoholic fatty liver disease. Alimentary pharmacology & therapeutics35(1), 76-82.

Conde, S. V., Nunes da Silva, T., Gonzalez, C., Mota Carmo, M., Monteiro, E. C., & Guarino, M. P. (2012). Chronic caffeine intake decreases circulating catecholamines and prevents diet-induced insulin resistance and hypertension in rats. British Journal of Nutrition107(01), 86-95.

Caffeine and longevity pathways (AMPK activation, mTOR inhibition, autophagy, mitogenesis, reduced DNA damage):

Jensen, T. E., Rose, A. J., Hellsten, Y., Wojtaszewski, J. F., & Richter, E. A. (2007). Caffeine-induced Ca2+ release increases AMPK-dependent glucose uptake in rodent soleus muscle. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism293(1), E286-E292.

Spyridopoulos, I., Fichtlscherer, S., Popp, R., Toennes, S. W., Fisslthaler, B., Trepels, T., ... & Haendeler, J. (2008). Caffeine enhances endothelial repair by an AMPK-dependent mechanism. Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology28(11), 1967-1974.

Wanke, V., Cameroni, E., Uotila, A., Piccolis, M., Urban, J., Loewith, R., & De Virgilio, C. (2008). Caffeine extends yeast lifespan by targeting TORC1.Molecular microbiology69(1), 277-285.

Kerzendorfer, C., & O'Driscoll, M. (2009). UVB and caffeine: inhibiting the DNA damage response to protect against the adverse effects of UVB. Journal of Investigative Dermatology129(7), 1611-1613.

McConell, G. K., Ng, G. P. Y., Phillips, M., Ruan, Z., Macaulay, S. L., & Wadley, G. D. (2010). Central role of nitric oxide synthase in AICAR and caffeine-induced mitochondrial biogenesis in L6 myocytes. Journal of applied physiology108(3), 589-595.

Saiki, S., Sasazawa, Y., Imamichi, Y., Kawajiri, S., Fujimaki, T., Tanida, I., ... & Hattori, N. (2011). Caffeine induces apoptosis by enhancement of autophagy via PI3K/Akt/mTOR/p70S6K inhibition. Autophagy7(2), 176.

Hill, G. M., Moriarity, D. M., & Setzer, W. N. (2011). Attenuation of cytotoxic natural product DNA intercalating agents by caffeine. Scientia pharmaceutica,79(4), 729.

Ray, K. (2013). Liver: Caffeine is a potent stimulator of autophagy to reduce hepatic lipid content—a coffee for NAFLD?. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology10(10), 563-563.

Rallis, C., Codlin, S., & Bähler, J. (2013). TORC1 signaling inhibition by rapamycin and caffeine affect lifespan, global gene expression, and cell proliferation of fission yeast. Aging cell12(4), 563-573.

Sinha, R. A., Farah, B. L., Singh, B. K., Siddique, M. M., Li, Y., Wu, Y., ... & Yen, P. M. (2014). Caffeine stimulates hepatic lipid metabolism by the autophagy‐lysosomal pathway in mice. Hepatology59(4), 1366-1380.

The canonical adenosine receptor blockade mechanism of caffeine:

Merighi, S., Benini, A., Mirandola, P., Gessi, S., Varani, K., Simioni, C., ... & Borea, P. A. (2007). Caffeine inhibits adenosine-induced accumulation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1α, vascular endothelial growth factor, and interleukin-8 expression in hypoxic human colon cancer cells. Molecular pharmacology,72(2), 395-406.

Ribeiro, J. A., & Sebastiao, A. M. (2010). Caffeine and adenosine. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease20, 3-15.

• like x 4
  • dislike x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#4 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

There is quite some evidence for benefits of drinking coffee. Several of the benefits are told to be associated to the content of chlorogenic acid. This nice article from LEF resumes a bit everything with due references:

New Health Benefits From Daily Coffee

http://www.lef.org/m...-coffee/page-01

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#5 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Damn Darryl, good finds..

#6 pbandy1

• 55 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

There is quite some evidence for benefits of drinking coffee. Several of the benefits are told to be associated to the content of chlorogenic acid. This nice article from LEF resumes a bit everything with due references:

nice article. thank you for sharing.

#7 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

Found this part interesting..

"But that’s not the only beneficial component of caffeinated coffee. Studies have shown that caffeinated coffee elevates plasma levels of a growth factor (GCSF—or granulocyte-colony stimulating factor) that is associated with improved memory. GCSF is also thought to promote formation of new brain cells and the synapses that connect them.64 And a specific non-caffeine coffee component called EHT ( eicosanoyl-5-hydroxytryptamide) has direct anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects that preserve the specific neurons that die off in Parkinson’s disease.58"

#8 The Ripper

• 97 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

I never understand these studies. Are these cups of coffee with milk and two sugars? If so I would've thought having such large amounts of milk and sugar daily would be quite detrimental to one's health. Or is this looking at people drinking black coffee? In which case, who does that? It tastes awful!

• dislike x 2

#9 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

The Ripper, yeah these were likely done with black coffee. And having worked in a well known coffee shop, plenty of people drink straight black coffee. It merely takes a good blend of coffee and some getting used to  ;) The benefits may still be there with milk and sugar, but who knows.

Another thing to note, if consuming coffee for it's health benefits, you may want to use a french press, percolator or utilize shots of espresso, as certain beneficial compounds such as cafestol and kahweol can be filtered out in a paper filter. 

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#10 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

The cafestol and kahweol in unfiltered coffee are also responsible for elevating LDL cholesterol, which is one reason health benefits from coffee weren't seen until paper filtered coffee became the norm.

I suspect the major benefits from coffee come from caffeine (via adenosine receptor blockade) and hormetic effects from poorly characterized melanoidins, particularly in darker roasts. Personally, I take my coffee dark roast, paper filtered, and black.

Urgert, R., van der Weg, G., Kosmeijer-Schuil, T. G., van de Bovenkamp, P., Hovenier, R., & Katan, M. B. (1995). Levels of the cholesterol-elevating diterpenes cafestol and kahweol in various coffee brewsJournal of agricultural and food chemistry43(8), 2167-2172.

Paur, I., Balstad, T. R., & Blomhoff, R. (2010). Degree of roasting is the main determinant of the effects of coffee on NF-κB and EpREFree Radical Biology and Medicine48(9), 1218-1227.

Corrêa, T. A. F., Monteiro, M. P., Mendes, T. M. N., De Oliveira, D. M., Rogero, M. M., Benites, C. I., ... & da Silva Torres, E. A. F. (2012). Medium light and medium roast paper-filtered coffee increased antioxidant capacity in healthy volunteers: results of a randomized trialPlant foods for human nutrition67(3), 277-282.

• like x 2

#11 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

Exactly. Never ever use a french press!

#12 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

Very true Darryl, but for those not too concerned with cholesterol, the beneficial effects of these two diterpenes might be of interest.

Natural diterpenes from coffee, cafestol and kahweol induce apoptosis through regulation of specificity protein 1 expression in human malignant pleural mesothelioma

The coffee-specific diterpenes cafestol and kahweol protect against aflatoxin B1-induced genotoxicity through a dual mechanism.

Cafestol and kahweol, two coffee specific diterpenes with anticarcinogenic activity.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#13 The Ripper

• 97 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

The Ripper, yeah these were likely done with black coffee. And having worked in a well known coffee shop, plenty of people drink straight black coffee. It merely takes a good blend of coffee and some getting used to  ;) The benefits may still be there with milk and sugar, but who knows.

Another thing to note, if consuming coffee for it's health benefits, you may want to use a french press, percolator or utilize shots of espresso, as certain beneficial compounds such as cafestol and kahweol can be filtered out in a paper filter. 

That sucks! I might just stick to my 1-2 cups per day of coffee with stevia/xylitol and 2-3 cups of green tea. Can't say I could stomach such large quantities of black coffee.

As for what you mentioned there, I don't know what any of that stuff is lol. I just make my coffee with a proper coffee machine, or buy it from a coffee shop... is that ok? O.o

#14 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

people keep saying black coffee, get it, because there is actually white coffee....

• dislike x 1

#15 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

I was talking about caffeine, not coffee.

#16 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

I don't drink caffeine because it makes me feel this way.

This is how I feel normally when I do not have any and you can see on this chart:

Energy level

ZZr0mWW.gif

When I drink a cup of tea or coffee in the morning I feel like this when I am not used to caffeine:

Oc8mqbL.gif

And then after a while I start to feel like this and have to have acaffeine just to get back to where I was before:

jxcvREg.gif

Maybe it's common that caffeine makes you have more drowsiness in the long run.  In this article, which is lengthy and describes how caffeine works, people who drank coffee had more troule gertting up in the morning.

http://www.chicagore...tent?oid=875717

Quentin Regestein of the sleep clinic of Harvard's Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston wonders whether using coffee may not, in the long run, paradoxically make people sleepier. "A pharmacologist here, Avram Goldstein, did a survey in a married students dormitory, asking questions about general life-styles, and he found that people who drank coffee generally described themselves as sleepy in the mornings.

• dislike x 1

#17 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

Are these beneficial doses of caffeine using small quantities?  Maybe if using like 15-25mg a day has some helpful effect that would be one thing, but I don't want to be consuming more than that because I don't like the way it makes me feel.

#18 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

It may help to read at least a few of those papers that Darryl and me posted. In short, no, 15-25mg are almost certainly not enough to achieve any relevant effect.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

I normally drink decaf in an effort to assist my meds in holding down my normally high blood pressure.  But I noticed when I drank a large regular coffee, on a long driving trip, that when I stepped out of my car the muscle cramps and pain I almost always experience in one of my legs was gone.  And slowly returned as the caffeine wore off.  Investigation reveled that the particular Seattle brand and size I drank was rated for around 300 mg of caffeine.  And research shows a muscle soreness reducing effect for low-caffeine consuming males:

The effect of caffeine ingestion on delayed onset muscle soreness

Unfortunately, however, when I resumed drinking normal coffee regularly the soreness relieving effect seemed to dissipate and my blood pressure went up a bit.  So I went back to decaf and tried a different tact.  I first tried dissolving caffeine in olive oil.  Although caffeine is supposed to have both oil and water solubility, it must be way more hydrophilic because hardly any dissolved in olive oil.  I had to take about six caps of to get any muscle pain relief.  Had better luck sonicating 50 mg of usp caffeine with lecithin and olive oil to fill up a 00-sized capsule and taking one a day.    Pressure has stayed down, no apparent interference with sleep, and muscle soreness relief is not wearing off.  I'm guessing sonicating with lecithin produces some sort of oil-soluble liposome or emulsion that's being distributed via the lymphatic system and getting fully absorbed by the muscles with very little left over to hit the blood stream or brain.

Howard

• dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vibrant, caffeine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users