- - - - -

Buspar + Melatonin Neurogenesis

buspar melatonin anti-depressant neurogenesis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ovecta

• 68 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

Anyone have experience mixing the two? I have Buspar and melatonin but haven't yet combined the two, however, studies implicating that both in combination have very promising prospects in treating depression via increased neurogenesis and a potentiation of buspars (mild) anxiolytic effects.

We used in vitro neurogenesis-based human neural stem cell (hNSCs) assays and rodent in vivo behavioral assays to identify potential novel antidepressants. A combination of buspirone and melatonin displayed antidepressant activity in these assays whereas neither buspirone nor melatonin alone showed any antidepressant-like profile. After evaluating numerous combination ratios, we determined that low dose buspirone 15 mg combined with melatonin-SR 3 mg yielded optimal antidepressant efficacy in our pre-clinical platform. The low dose of buspirone suggested that antidepressant efficacy might be achieved with only minimal adverse event liability. Based on these data, we conducted an exploratory 6-week, multi-center, double-blind, randomized, placebo- and comparator-controlled study of the combination of buspirone and melatonin in subjects with acute Major Depressive Disorder (MDD). The combination treatment revealed a significant antidepressant response in subjects with MDD on several measures (Clinical Global Impression of Severity and Improvement, Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology) compared to either placebo or buspirone 15 mg monotherapy. These preliminary findings have clinical implications and suggest that a platform of pre-clinical neurogenesis matched with confirmatory behavioral assays may be useful as a drug discovery strategy.

→ source (external link)

AIM: Stress is recognized to precipitate anxiety and related psychological problems characterized by a wide range of biochemical and behavioral changes. The present study was carried out to investigate the protective effects of melatonin and buspirone, and their combination, against six hours immobilization stress-induced, anxiety-like behavioral and oxidative damage in mice.
RESULTS: Immobilization stress significantly impaired body weight, locomotor activity, and caused anxiety-like behavior, along with increased oxidative damage. Pretreatment with melatonin and buspirone significantly improved the loss in body weight and locomotor activity, attenuated anxiety-like behavior (in both the mirror chamber and plus maze performance tasks), further restored the levels of brain total proteins, and caused antioxidant-like effects, as evidenced by reduced lipid peroxidation, nitrite concentration, and restoration of reduced glutathione and catalase activity, as compared to control animals. In addition, combination of melatonin (2.5, 5 mg·kg(-1)) with buspirone (5 mg·kg(-1)) significantly potentiated their protective effects, as compared to their effects individually.
CONCLUSION: The present study suggests that melatonin potentiates the beneficial effect of buspirone against immobilization stress-induced, anxiety-like behavioral and oxidative damage in mice possibly by involving a serotonergic mechanism.

→ source (external link)

I will trial 15mg Buspar with 3 mg Melatonin and report back if I notice any significant effects.

#2 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

it will make you super dizzy tho.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 the polish spaniard

• 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:37 AM

I was just prescribed buspar today. I've been reviewing how it interacts with the supplements and drugs I regularly take and came across this study as well. I'd be very interested to know how the combo is working for you.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 ovecta

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:37 AM

Tried it three times, can't say I felt much of a significant anti-depressant effect but there was definitely a subtle giddiness and contentment each time I mixed the two, but then again I wasn't using sustained release Melatonin like they used in the study and it's to my understanding that they are no longer interested in developing this drug for reasons they haven't disclosed.

I don't get much off Buspar to being with in terms of effects and it seems like one of those hit or miss drugs for alot of people, but everyone's unique so try it out yourself if you notice anything from the Buspar alone. 

Edited by ovecta, 31 October 2014 - 01:39 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buspar, melatonin, anti-depressant, neurogenesis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users