- - - - -

Everyday cleaning chemicals

soap chemicals cleaning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chrystoph Kardashev

• 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

I've been thinking about the various cleaning liquids I use from day to day and how I never, for the most part, considered what's actually in them, how safe are they from an immortalist perspective and weather or not there are any good alternatives. I'm talking about dish soap, floor soap, detergents, softners, shampoos, shower gel, shaving foam, hand soap, degreasers, window polish... anyone here ever took this into consideration? I heard a number of things can be substituted by white vinegar and sodium bicarbonate. What do you guys use?

Edited by Chrystoph Kardashev, 19 October 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#2 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

I find most of this stuff can be diluted considerably and still do a good job. (You can always add a little more, but you cannot take any out.) Also, I have experimented with using these things less often too. For example, if you wash single dishes, mugs, spoons quickly by hand, they seem not to need any dish liquid. Bicarb of soda makes a good cleaner for a pan--it does not compromise the seal the way detergent does.

I have been putting very small amounts of shampoo on my hair or shaving cream on my face, and very small amounts of toothpaste on my brush. I could probably do without these things if I really wanted.

I do not believe most cleaning fluids and substances do any harm; but we have certainly been commercially manipulated into believing they are essential products, in my opinion.

Edited by Gerrans, 20 October 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#3 Chrystoph Kardashev

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

Certainly we're convinced we need more kinds of household detergents than we actually need as well as using far too much of them given the situation. Like you said most of the time dishes and such don't even need any soap if it isn't given time to settle in and tough stains can be dealt with sodium bicarbonate or borax.

Windows I found can be managed with hot water, white vinegar and a dabber of dish soap.

Many online claims about hot water & borax being great for floors and virtually any surface except untreated wood. Have yet to try this.

Castile liquid soap also seems useful as an addition to most of the above, as well as a shaving foam alternative and shampoo when mixed with olive oil. Need to try this..

Edited by Chrystoph Kardashev, 20 October 2014 - 03:50 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

This one kills me. Hate that feeling of entering a hotel room and smelling cleaning chemicals

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: soap, chemicals, cleaning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users