Purchasing Ginkgo Biloba EGB761 Extract

ginkgo biloba

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

It is known that most studies (but not all) of Ginkgo Biloba use the EGB761 extract by Schwabe, Germany. I live in the UK and I was wondering how best to purchase this in the UK?

Ginkgold by Nature's Way appears to be one form of this.

For example, on amazon, you can get 300x60mg of Ginkgold for $39.99. So like 25£, but I have nooooo idea how much this would cost to buy on amazon.com. Will I be charged £10, £50, or £47526371.89 for importing it? :unsure:

So what is a cheap and convenient way to get this.

Thanks

#2 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

The cheapest high quality extract available in the UK is sold by Nature's Best. 360x120 mg for £16.00, which is about a third of the price of Ginkgold, even without shipping costs and customs. It is not produced by Schwabe (AFAIK) but virtually identical, as it complies to the German Commision E monograph. I use it myself and can't tell the difference to the much more expensive EGB761 sold in pharmacies

Edited by timar, 23 October 2014 - 06:43 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

The cheapest high quality extract available in the UK is sold by Nature's Best. 360x120 mg for £16.00, which is about a third of the price of Ginkgold, even without shipping costs and customs. It is not produced by Schwabe (AFAIK) but virtually identical, as it complies to the German Commision E monograph. I use it myself and can't tell the difference to the much more expensive EGB761 sold in pharmacies

Okay thanks, what makes it so cheap I wonder?

Would you perhaps care to elaborate on what commission E is? I will google it.

For example, when you mean virtually identical, is this talking about Ginkgolide J and M as well as A, B and C? Is there a specified level of Bilobalide, as well as of Quercetin, Kaempferol, Isorhaemnatin etc.

I'm asking as you seem fairly knowledgeable. 

Edited by Skyguy2005, 24 October 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#4 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

Well the original EGb761 is expensive pretty much for the same reason why the original Aspirin by Bayer is more expensive than generic acetylsalicylic acid. Schwabe is the company that orginially developed the extract - they spent a lot of money on clinical research and marketing which you are both paying for when you buy the original brand. Moreover, it is produced in Germany where labor costs are high. They don't hold a patent on the extract though, so any other company can produce an identical extract by employing the same basic processing methods.

I think google/wikipedia will elaborate on the Comission E. This is the translated Comission E Monograph on Ginkgo biloba. You see that it provides detailed requirements concerning the extraction methods and the concentrations of the active constituents (flavonglycosides and ginkgolides) as well as the allergenic ginkgolic acid. Any extract that adheres to these requirements is for practical purposes identical to EGb761.

Edited by timar, 25 October 2014 - 05:35 PM.

• like x 1

#5 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

Well the original EGb761 is expensive pretty much for the same reason why the original Aspirin by Bayer is more expensive than generic acetylsalicylic acid. Schwabe is the company that orginially developed the extract - they spent a lot of money on clinical research and marketing which you are both paying for when you buy the original brand. Moreover, it is produced in Germany where labor costs are high. They don't hold a patent on the extract though, so any other company can produce an identical extract by employing the same basic processing methods.

I think google/wikipedia will elaborate on the Comission E. This is the translated Comission E Monograph on Ginkgo biloba. You see that it provides detailed requirements concerning the extraction methods and the concentrations of the active constituents (flavonglycosides and ginkgolides) as well as the allergenic ginkgolic acid. Any extract that adheres to these requirements is for practical purposes identical to EGb761.

Okay thanks.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#6 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

It's good to eat some proper quality again. If anything it's better than EGB761! Good call Timar!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 ShivaShakti

• 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

Thanks! 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ginkgo biloba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users