Has prolonged Melanotan use damaged my brain? Dopamine interaction

melanotan 2 dopamine libido

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

I first used Melanotan II about 2.5 years ago. Nothing in excess, just 0.5mg per week in two divided doses. I know a lot of people that have used 5 - 10 times that dose. After a couple weeks I noticed I could not get an erection at all, and I had absolutely zero libido, or desire to even have sex. I was 21 at the time and went from having to masturbate at least once a day to never needing too at all.

I did have a sustained period of abstinence from use, for about 6 months. My libido never returned. I have been back using it at a very low dose of about 0.1-0.2 mg per week for around the last 12 months, with some breaks here and there.

Apparently, it has some control over dopamine binding in certain areas of the brain linked to reward. Maybe I downregulated dopamine receptors in these pathways?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11846623

Additionally seeing as it has known aphrodisiac qualities as a result of its Melanocortin-4 receptor agonism, maybe I down regulated this receptor as well

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12172010

I thought it was a no brainer since my problems with libido coincided with my Melanotan use, however at the low doses I used, I would have thought sustained abstinence should have seen my libido return?

#2 Gorthaur

• 139 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:17 AM

I wouldn't think that melanotan II's effect on dopamine has much to do with this. It sounds more like a paradoxical reaction to melanocortin agonism, or possibly just downregulation. Unfortunately, there's not really a good way to test this, nor is there a drug which could reverse the effect (there aren't any commercially available melanocortin antagonists). If you just want to treat the symptoms, I would suggest cabergoline for long term use, or tongkat ali for short term use. It would also be a good idea to get a blood test done to determine your sex hormone levels. Though rare, a disease like prolactinoma could be killing your libido. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 VICREP

• Topic Starter
  • 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:06 AM

I wouldn't think that melanotan II's effect on dopamine has much to do with this. It sounds more like a paradoxical reaction to melanocortin agonism, or possibly just downregulation. Unfortunately, there's not really a good way to test this, nor is there a drug which could reverse the effect (there aren't any commercially available melanocortin antagonists). If you just want to treat the symptoms, I would suggest cabergoline for long term use, or tongkat ali for short term use. It would also be a good idea to get a blood test done to determine your sex hormone levels. Though rare, a disease like prolactinoma could be killing your libido. 

Thanks for the Advice

I doubt it was the melanotan as well. I'm going to make another thread summarising my whole situation and see if I can get some insight.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: melanotan 2, dopamine, libido

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users