- - - - -

Nothing working so far, what now?

nootropics

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Caelorum

• 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

So, i'm trying to find something that will help increase my motivation, memory, alertness, and focus. I want to be able to study hard, and study well. As well as be very motivated to complete my goals, instead of laze around playing video games.

I've tried, phenibut, caffeine/l-theanine, and piracetam. And honestly haven't felt the slightest effect from any of them.

Phenibut I got from liftmode a while back, tried about 5g of the nasty stuff. Nothing happened.

Caffeine/l-theanine I got from nootropicsdepot, pills with 100mg caffeine/200mg l-theanine. First I tried one capsule. Then tried 2. Then tried 2 capsules twice a day. Nothing.

Got piracetam powder from nootropics depot. Tried 4.8 g one day. The next day tried 9 g. Didn't feel anything. Enjoyed the sound of celery crunching, but that's about it.

I don't understand why these things wouldn't have an effect on me. Especially caffeine/l-theanine. If I drink a cup of coffee with heavy cream/sugar I feel awake and alert. Not focused, but awake and alert.

My diet is pretty good in my opinion. Eggs/Oj/Oatmeal, spinach/kidney beans/lean ground beef, chicken breast/cauliflower/broccoli, carrots/celery, pumpkin seeds/cashews, bananas/yogurt with cultures. Literally the same thing day in day out. Macros and micros are pretty tight with this diet. I take a multi every day, and a fish oil capsule. I exercise daily.

What is up with me? Am I just a non responder? Should I try higher doses? Is something else wrong? 

My job consists of sitting in one spot on the weekends, walking only 3 times, for 12 hours a day. I need to be able to motivate myself and focus on something important during those 12 hours.

Thinking about trying noopept and modafinil. But idk, losing hope on nootropics.

Edited by Caelorum, 25 October 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#2 Clacksberg

• 138 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

Just wondered if you really need a Multi every day with that reasonable diet?

You could try a more active job -)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Caelorum

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

Just wondered if you really need a Multi every day with that reasonable diet?

You could try a more active job -)

Don't know really. Figured it would make up for anything I missed. Zinc/magnesium. I get quite a bit from cashews/pumpkin seeds, but I don't feel that its enough.

And I have a job in mind. My dream is to be a game developer. I'd like to work on my own projects. I have amazing dreams. But I just can't get myself to sit down and study for an extended period of time. It's always tomorrow, or next week, or "Let me get a schedule down first, let me do this first, that first". And when I finally do sit down and open a book, or watch a video, it doesn't stick enough. I fade in and out.

My mind would rather do mental gymastics with me and convince me to play video games, or surf the internet, or something lazy and unproductive.

Like right now. I'm sitting in a booth, alone. I have all my books with me on coding/drawing. I have the internet, i could watch videos on game design. But I know if I pick up a book, the info won't stick, and i'll get distracted. And I'd rather jusy play something easy and mind numbing like WoW. I mean, it's work after all right? Might as well have fun while I'm here. It's stressful enough already. It would be better to study in my own environment at home. Relaxed.

Or so I keep telling myself....

Edited by Caelorum, 25 October 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#4 StephCThomp

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

Caelorum, your diet sounds fantastic.  I don't think that's where the problem is.  It sounds like you are experiencing classic procrastination. 

There are two reasons we get stuck like this:

1. The brain responds much more enthusiastically to immediate rewards (eg Dopamine 'pay-offs' from playing a game) than it does to a distant/hard to get/less tangible rewards (e.g. Dopamine pay-off from turning out to be a great developer and getting kudos, and a good but unknown wage, and other unknowable-from-a-distance benefits).  

2. The game developers (the bleepers!] have designed the games to hook you neurochemically.  They are designed to create both instant and escalating gratification.  Neurologically, games work very much like gambling - they hijack your neurochemical reward systems.

To get around the first issue, 'chunk' the rewards on the path to what you want to achieve.  This means identify small, fairly immediate goals, like (eg?) the satisfaction of storyboarding a piece of a game to show someone.

For the second issue, just be aware that these things are designed to be both potently attractive and addictive.  Manage your own mindset around it.  When you get the craving, try a bit of "Ah...I know what you are doing!"...understand it for what it is.  Put another task in its place.

You can also use game-playing as a managed, time-limited reward, after you have completed a small chunked task on the path to your bigger picture. e.g. "I'll just do ABC task, then I can play XYZ game until dinner."  Chances are that often once you start on ABC task you'll want to continue and do DEF task too, as you now can feel momentum towards a goal (=Dopamine)...and so you'll end up late for dinner :).

Oh, and if you want to perk up your brain in a clear-minded and motivated kind of way, just take some L-Tyrosine.  It's simple, cheap, and highly effective because it's the raw material your body uses to manufacture the brain chemicals you need for goal focus and enthusiasm.

Good luck :)

• like x 1

#5 Caelorum

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

Caelorum, your diet sounds fantastic. I don't think that's where the problem is. It sounds like you are experiencing classic procrastination.

There are two reasons we get stuck like this:

1. The brain responds much more enthusiastically to immediate rewards (eg Dopamine 'pay-offs' from playing a game) than it does to a distant/hard to get/less tangible rewards (e.g. Dopamine pay-off from turning out to be a great developer and getting kudos, and a good but unknown wage, and other unknowable-from-a-distance benefits).

2. The game developers (the bleepers!] have designed the games to hook you neurochemically. They are designed to create both instant and escalating gratification. Neurologically, games work very much like gambling - they hijack your neurochemical reward systems.

To get around the first issue, 'chunk' the rewards on the path to what you want to achieve. This means identify small, fairly immediate goals, like (eg?) the satisfaction of storyboarding a piece of a game to show someone.

For the second issue, just be aware that these things are designed to be both potently attractive and addictive. Manage your own mindset around it. When you get the craving, try a bit of "Ah...I know what you are doing!"...understand it for what it is. Put another task in its place.

You can also use game-playing as a managed, time-limited reward, after you have completed a small chunked task on the path to your bigger picture. e.g. "I'll just do ABC task, then I can play XYZ game until dinner." Chances are that often once you start on ABC task you'll want to continue and do DEF task too, as you now can feel momentum towards a goal (=Dopamine)...and so you'll end up late for dinner :).

Oh, and if you want to perk up your brain in a clear-minded and motivated kind of way, just take some L-Tyrosine. It's simple, cheap, and highly effective because it's the raw material your body uses to manufacture the brain chemicals you need for goal focus and enthusiasm.

Good luck :)

That was actually a really good response. Thank you for that. I was thinking about that yesterday. Instead of beating myself up over not working 12 hours straight, I'd try small goals, and build them up. Maybe study an hour, play an hour. Then gradually increase studying/work.

Will also try the L-Tyrosine. :)

Still very curious though as to why I didn't get to enjoy the effects of any of the nootropics I tried.

Edited by Caelorum, 26 October 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#6 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:40 AM

Was going to post a nice long suggestion but StephCThomp laid it out pretty well.

I say this all the time, but diet, exercise, sleep, stress management and proper supplementation are crucial. 

#7 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:50 AM

Best way I have found to get rid of bad habits is a clean break. Stop alcohol straight up, stop caffeine straight up... but alas... internet addiction... so much revolves around the computer it is hard to give it straight up. Only thing that really helps is to be busy. IDK maybe find some volunteer work or a part time job forcing yourself to use your time better. Not that I know your life or anything.

#8 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

You can try this 

I find it helps a lot

If you sit in a chair a lot, it would be preferable to lean backwards slightly (especially for the neck) rather than crouching forwards. Though sitting straight I hear is good as well

Edited by Keizo, 01 November 2014 - 05:56 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Gorthaur

• 139 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:25 AM

Did you take everything on an empty stomach, especially phenibut? Even so, I have some Liftmode phenibut, and the quality is the absolute worst out of the half dozen different brands I've tried.

The point of taking L-Theanine with caffeine is to balance the stimulation of caffeine with the sedation of theanine. The overall effect is pretty subtle. You might benefit from having a cup of coffee with each pill so as to change the ratio closer to 1:1.  

Did you take a choline supplement with piracetam? You should take piracetam for at least a couple weeks at 4.8-9.6 grams a day before deciding it doesn't work, and you'll probably need a quality choline supplement (like CDP choline). Piracetam doesn't have an obvious psychoactive effect, even for people who respond well to it. Its effects are mainly noticeable when you are engaged in mentally demanding work, not if you're just hanging out.  

If you want a stronger nootropic for motivation, I would definitely go with modafinil. L-Tyrosine might help for a while, but tolerance will be a big problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users