modafanil exams stress nootropics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pallas

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:26 AM

Hi guys,

I want all of your opinion in this predicament I am in at the moment, regardless if you have taken Modafanil or not.

I am currently undertaking a double Major in anatomy and physiology and need some pretty high marks to boost my GPA up in order to get a Masters in Physiotherapy.

I have about 3 weeks left till my first exam, and I am about 50% sure about the content. At this stage some measly cramming will easily get me a pass. However I feel extremely stressed at this stage and am trying to calm my mind. I feel very guilty If I am doing something else that isn't studying (like eating or transporting myself across space). It's a bad mentality and I end up usually getting minimal study done at the end of the day due to procrastination.

I am contemplating on dosing up on 12mg-50mg of Modafanil (modvigil) 3 times a week and lock myself in my room to focus and study for a period of hours. However my last experience with this substance has left my thinking. I'm not sure if it's nocebo or not, but last time I took Mod for 2 weeks straight (weekends off) at a 50mg dose and I experience Insomnia and some short-term memory loss. 

The imsonmia thing could be due to the stress, as at that time I did use it during the exam period, not prior. And Indeed, I read various reports that people sleep fine on this stuff, aswell as some article that indicates it doesn't interfere with sleep architecture nor latency. 

What are your thoughts on this substance?, I feel compelled to take it since it's available to me, however If the risks outweigh the benefits, then I'll flush the stuff down the drain.

Did you benefit from taking it? What was your end result (exam wise), And if any negative effects arouse?

Peace,

Pallas

#2 Gorthaur

• 139 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:42 AM

I think you should take low dose modafinil to improve your motivation and concentration when it's time to study. Insomnia is one of the major therapeutic effects of modafinil, seeing as it was developed to treat narcolepsy. Short term memory loss is one of the major side effects of insomnia. To prevent both of these, take your modafinil earlier in the day (no less than six hours before you want to sleep, with the dosages you're considering.) If memory is still a problem, you would probably also benefit from a choline supplement, like CDP choline or Alpha GPC. If sleep is still a problem, try adding 0.5 mg of melatonin and 400 mg of magnesium at bedtime. 

I've used modafinil regularly for studying, and I find it extremely useful. It definitely makes it easier to cover large amounts of information. I also like that it makes exercising easier. Doing regular cardio stimulates neurogenesis, which contributes significantly to learning new material. Modafinil is also extremely safe. The only issue I run into is irritability, which can be solved with theanine and magnesium.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Pallas

• Topic Starter
  • 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for your input Gorthaur.

What sort of dosage/brand did you take of modafanil?

I have some melatonin at hand, but they are slow release 2mg prescription grade ones. I think it's too strong, but If I split the tab then it won't have a slow release effect. 

Did you experience any social benefits on modafanil? I know you mentioned it made you irritable. 

#4 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

If you want to listen to me and accepting that I'm quite a bit atypical, my advice is to avoid by any way modafinil, it's still my opinion and I don't want to argue since as I have previously said my experience could not fit the classical scheme of usual student but Modafinil made me loose a lot of things, but by the thank of God my health problems has let me to retry my medical year and I achieved my exam but at what price ? GAD increased OCD, MDD...

If you really want something working and for a short-term run look into Ritalin or 2-FA the last is really a beast when it comes to study.

Modafinil is far too anxiogenic 

• dislike x 1

#5 Gorthaur

• 139 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for your input Gorthaur.

What sort of dosage/brand did you take of modafanil?

I have some melatonin at hand, but they are slow release 2mg prescription grade ones. I think it's too strong, but If I split the tab then it won't have a slow release effect. 

Did you experience any social benefits on modafanil? I know you mentioned it made you irritable. 

I used Modalert at 25-50 mg a dose. It was definitely helpful in social situations, as I was much more confident and talkative. As for your melatonin, I think it would be worth it to split the tablets. A small dosage of instant release melatonin will keep you asleep just as well as a large dosage of timed release melatonin. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Pallas

• Topic Starter
  • 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

A recent update:

I usually struggle to sleep and it takes me a good 2-3 hours in bed before the sweet kiss of sleep hits me. However this one particular day I felt guilty for not studying, and instead of laying there deep in my thoughts as usual, I decided to dose 100mg of Modafanil and hit the books.

I ripped through the entire anatomical structure of the body except the blood vessels in 4 hours.

I then proceeded to go to uni and take 2 mock exams in which I smashed through, with only 3 silly mistakes. Information which I thought I didn't know came up in my head, my mouth opened and I said the answer before I realized I had thought if it was correct.

I felt extremely socially at ease, I even made a move on this chick which I liked a lot. (My game is retarded, but my move was just playing with her hand). I felt a comedown physically in the mid afternoon that day, and felt like my eyes were dry. And I thought I could get some good sleep. So I laid in bed when I got home, still euphoric. I laid there for 2 hours, and decided I would dose up on 2mg slow release melatonin since my head was still racing with thoughts. I think I woke up from sleep, this is what scared me today, I don't remember if I slept or not, usually I can recall 2-3 dreams, but today I can only recall one. And my memory today is really fucked up, I have felt these effect previously from my modafanil usage, I presume it's due to sleep deprivation and not the modafanil. 

My take on modafanil is that it's really good at high doses, pretty euphoric (could be due to sleep dep though, as it acts on the mesolimbic pathway to promote dopamine). But unfourtunately, I have a feeling that it does indeed fuck up some part of the sleep architecture, I did sleep (i think), but I woke up with short term memory issues, I have a pretty dull headache atm and feel retarded. 

Any sleep aids that anyone can reccomend to put you to sleep whilst promoting sleep cycles? 

I have tried melatonin, phenibut (works, but has a long onset and tolerance issues), valerian (works but tolerance), (magnesium,zinc combo doesn't really help put me to sleep).

I have read the megasleep thread, and Ambien looks promising, anyone have experience with it whilst learning information? Particularly coupling it with modafanil? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modafanil, exams, stress, nootropics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users