High dosage Vitamin B3 (nicotinamide/niacinamide) effects on IOP and liver

b3; iop; eye pressure adhd nicotinamide niacinamide

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hi

"High" dosages of vitamin B3 has been postulated to be effective, at least by orthomolecular practitioners, for stress management and ADHD in children.

For ADHD dosages up to 250 mg several times a day has been recommended. However; other sources says that dosages of vitamin B3 over 50 mg per day, for adults, can lead to liver damage.

Question 1: In your opinion, how much B3 should it be safe to consume for a 8 year old kid each day?

At least one paper has linked B3 to high eye pressure, i.e. high IOP, which - untreated - can lead to glaucoma. However; other sources states that vitamin B, even in high doses, is beneficial for vision/eye health.

Question 2: For a person who has high IOP, but no damage to the eye nerves/no glaucoma, what is the highest recommended "safe" dosage of vitamin B3 

#2 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

1. I don't know of any clinical data with regards to high dose niacin treatment in children. I wouldn't estimate a safe dose if you paid me money for it and I wouldn't treat my own children with high dose niacin ever. Especially NOT for the given "indication". 

2. I'm pretty sure there also is no significant clinical data making a case for a specific safe dosage level for people with high IOP. I also don't know that specific paper. Mind linking it?

3. (personal statement) I'm an absolute fan of high dose niacin if used for cholesterol control. For some people it doesn't do much at all, for some people it slashes cholesterol hard and I'm one of the latter croud. I DON'T think that niacin is of any clinical use in the treatment of psychosis, ADHD, depression or other psychiatric conditions. Really, 99% of "orthomolecular medicine" are a MESS and I wouldn't bother with it, although it is one of the less crazy and dangerous ideas to consider when totally desperate.

I absolutely can understand that people don't like the idea to "feed" their children with ritalin/amphetamines, I wouldn't either. But there is absolutely no hint of evidence that high dose niacin or any other "orthomolecular treatment" will do even a ditch to improve this condition. 

Edited by Dolph, 27 October 2014 - 10:24 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

I find Nicotinamide calming but non sedating. I rembember reading that liver toxicity is not a problem at 500mg/day.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:12 AM

I find its more potent with correct mineral intake(including Zinc) based on symptoms and a general full spectrum B complex to prevent other problems. My daughter has Hypothyroidism, shes gone from throwing chairs at the teacher from unavoidable Adernalin seizures to being a model student since I worked out the niacinimide wasn't being made in her body. 500mg twice a week for years now, her pellegra is next to sort out, I got to get time to study Melanin more thoroughly. I'll probably put her doses up this summer and get it to go, then have it reapear over winter!

• Needs references x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: b3;, iop;, eye pressure, adhd, nicotinamide, niacinamide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users