medicine/nootropic for ADD/autism?

add autism

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 strider

• 55 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:41 AM

Hey guys, 

been a while since i've posted but I still have not found a solution to my problems. im not really even sure how to define what I think is wrong with me but i'll give it a go. To use as an analogy,  it's like there is something wrong with my RAM and my sensory input/processing. i feel like i have 128mbs of RAM when everyone else has 512mbs+ of RAM. I have a hard time interpreting emotions, a hard time reading(i cannot visualize or don't have any mental constructions, and thus fiction is flat as characters don't have their own voices or distinction), like everything is read monotone. i have a hard time listening, i can hear fine(as in audibly) but intepretting is tough for me. I find it extremely difficult to follow a movie or even a simple tv show's plot as i have to rely on context clues other than dialogue most of the time(if there are no subtitles available). music - i have never been able to follow lyrics, and if i do, i constantly mess up the words. i cannot a recall a complete song's lyrics. its like it is too much information to process — both the actual music and lyrics..

this is something i posted a few years ago, i think it stands true, as its still a problem

"When I listen to music, my mind rarely pays attention to the lyrics of a song. It pays more attention to the instruments and the vocals (as in the way its sang as opposed to what is sang about). Most of the time its just because I'm doing something else while just bobbing my head to the rhythm. I hear the whole song, just don't listen to what is being said. I remember being in like 9th grade and realizing people listened to the lyrics in music. I remember asking all of my classmates if they listen to the lyrics and they all replied yes. This presents a problem because sometimes people will ask me to listen to a song, and then when I'm done they'll ask what I thought about the lyrics. If I'm told to listen to lyrics, it's still difficult for a number of reasons. One, sometimes I won't understand a word or verse that was said, and my mind still start trying to question it while the rest of the song continues so I'll miss a big chunk. Sometimes my mind will just wander off in another direction and when I remember, the song is almost over. Sometimes I'll be doing good and then turn my mind off for the chorus and forget to turn back on. I can easily memorize lyrics, but then I'm not memorizing the words, more mimicking the sounds (which happen to be words). It happens to me IRL too. Someone will be talking and my mind will just wander and when I come "back," they're expecting a response. Also when watching movies, if I don't have subtitles, it starts to get a bit hard to keep track of the dialogue."

i feel rather lethargic all throughout the day though..

i've tried the racetams, noopept, alcar, alpha-gpc/cholines/ tyrosine,modafinil,adderal, sulbutiamine

and none have significantly improved my faculties.  

However, what is interesting to note is that when i smoke marijuana, its like i revert back to the populations norm of emotions, of normal sensory processing. i actually experience emotion. i feel human, not robotic. i can read fiction, and its enjoyable, as there is a creative depth to it. words are more dimensional, and not monotone. 

i think it may be possible that i am experiencing simple partial seizures, and my 'RAM' gets cut off so to speak, like a broken signal. or idk....any ideas?  

perhaps trying these? 

Kepra

Memantine

Cerebrolysin 

or what suggestions should i do? not really sure

#2 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:17 AM

so as a result, i end up being in this weird hyper/add active to compensate, and thus i fatigue easily/am tired easily. i am usually more awake and nighttime due to there being less information, and can think more clearly as a result. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

Oh yeah, guess I should note that, I did have language developmental problems growing up, and had to be tutored for correct pronunciation of certain letters. I think I did that for maybe 2-3 years? when i was 6-8,9? can't really recall

Also, what are thoughts about Selegiline?

Edited by strider, 28 October 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#4 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:09 PM

Was trying to edit, but heard about Desoxyn, sounds interesting as well, thoughts?

#5 Knowledge Is Powre

• 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:41 AM

I have the exact same condition as you and have had no real success with anything other than weed as well. I'm posting to subscribe and hopefully find other recommendations.

#6 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

I'm going to go to the dr's and see what he recommends.

Also, I just ordered some CBD Hemp Oil from BlueBird Botanicals. I am curious to see if the positive effects I'm gaining from smoking marijuana comes from CBD's effects of having anti-inflammation, and anti-convulsant properties, as well as its other properties. probably get it in a few days or early next week. will update on progress.

#7 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

I am kind of similar neurologically (autism/adhd) but I think I am too different still. I have had a 'major' breakthrough with long-term piracetam intake (2 month +, 1 year total) which was that it enabled me to realize more general concepts. Since then I am able to think withing arbitrary interpolation structures of information, which is quite complicated, and I have only ever detected it in very intelligent and/or insane people. Regardless, to leave the plane of autism-detailedness is a very important ability. So piracetam is the #1 drug I would recommend.

The other things that help me largely revolve around adrenal gland issues, which are probably the result of overloading them all my life and not being able to function in everyday live without extreme effort, because the realities of the disability cannot truly be cured but only overcome with coping strategies. But I also think mine are just below average in quality. Ashwaganda, piracetam (again), Selergiline, l-dopa. I think the most efficient way to go at this is to be very functional in very short timeframes and sort of dysfunctional otherwise. That is more or less how my brain works anyway, because my entire being is so complicated that it is not really sustainable for long and at a time.

Maybe it is just the sad reality of things: we implicitly assume to be 5 dimensional beings in that we understand ourselves to exist within space, time and their possibilities which we think of in terms of abilities, powers and feasibilities. But most of the time what matters to us is very momentary, as in seconds or hours or days. So suddenly we are confined to a very narrow and almost flat and 3 dimensional space. Brain augmentations aren't even an option yet. So what can you do? Run less and less complicated programs. Look at those 3D games nowadays, what do they really do? They just produce very elaborate deceptions to the viewer and that is what they are about. They don't aim to create realities but to make you believe they did. And this is just what most people do with their existence. Those people look like they have faculties and knowledge but really they are just constructed to make themselves appear as if they do. Just like there is no real molecular physics simulator running inside a PC which is causing sound waves to propagate through a realistic virtual space to eventually make you hear noise with realistic spatical wave distortions in a virtual environment (which would cost like a zillion times more processing power), there is no one who is truly perceiving and analyzing the world around them in the most conclusive manner with the goal of understanding it all. This is why religion exists, because to most people their belief about reality is merely an instrument to satisfy their emotional instincts and their emotional instincts are evolutionarily constructed to maximize survival of the human race, whatever that means in particular. It is not actually the other way around, that you would adapt your emotional ideas as an instrument to satisfy reality. This is the reason why normal people are almost NPC-alike, because they all follow this human program. But if you have created your own programming, maybe because of traumatic experience or maybe because you are just defective otherwise, then it all stops making sense. If you detach yourself from the collective consciousness then suddenly you will find yourself overloaded with an extreme computational burden that normal people do simply not process. To a normal person, other people process most of their reality.

So here you have it, maybe you just misunderstood the world so to speak like I did? If that is so I recommend that you care less and start faking it. That will make you more functional in the sense of being normal. Or maybe more insane like myself. I can't really tell. Maybe we only cared and and always took everything by the letter because we tried to escape insanity?

Edited by Aolministrator, 30 October 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#8 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hey Aolministrator thanks for that post. I definetely resonate a lot with what you have to say. Perhaps its just the drive to acheive genius intellect, power, or maybe just more understanding of this unknown universe that we live in. For me, those are definite things I desire, but that I do not have due to my genetics and upbringing and am therefore seeking a cure. Im confident that science will provide us assisstance. or perhaps its still time venture into the world of pyschadelics and shamanism and take ayahuasca in the amazon. maybe its not an intellectual quest that we seek but an emotional/spiritual?

i think i will have to try Selegiline eventually, but ill see how taking CBD goes.

#9 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

I've had a complete battery test administered when i was 20 if anyone is interested. I am 24 years old now. 

Basis for the Evaluation:

Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale – 4th Edition (WAIS-IV) Bender Gestalt Test of Visual-Motor Integration

Trail Making Tests of the Halstead-Reitan Neuropsychological Battery Grooved Pegboard Test

Intermediate Visual and Auditory Continuous Performance Test (IVA-CPT)

Test of Auditory Processing Disorders in Adolescents & Adults – 3rd Edition (SCAN-3) Adult Self-Assessment Inventory

Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI)

Basis for the Evaluation (continued):

Sentence Completion Test

ADHD Childhood Symptoms Scale-Self Report Form

ADHD Current Symptoms Scale-Self Report Form

Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory – 2nd Edition (MMPI-2)

Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory – 3rd Edition (MCMI-III)

Clinical Interview and History

Behavior Observations during Testing

Behavior Observations:

Daniel was seen for two test sessions that lasted a total of approximately eight-to-nine hours, with breaks. He is a twenty-year-old manDaniel is of average height and build, was comfortably and appropriately dressed and appears approximately his stated age. His speech was clear, adequately articulated, and fluent, although at times his speech was rapid and appeared to be pressured. He presents as intense and he exhibited a good deal of anxiety. Daniel’s anxiety decreased as the testing progressed and after his questions about the evaluation were answered, but his pervasive mood was anxious. He had some difficulty with sustained focus during the testing and he made some impulsive and careless mistakes at times. He also showed some obsessive thinking. Overall, the test environment was quiet and comfortable and the testing progressed well. Daniel was a hardworking participant, and the following results are considered an accurate assessment of his current functioning.

Test Results:

Daniel’s current intellectual functioning was assessed using the Wechsler Adult Intelligence

Scale – 4th Edition (WAIS-IV), which is the most commonly used measure of intelligence. The WAIS-IV produces a Full Scale IQ score and provides index scores in four statistically-derived areas of functioning. Daniel’s scores are as follows.

Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale – 4th Edition

IQ and Index Scores

Standard Score*

Percentile Rank

Verbal Comprehension Index

Perceptual Reasoning Index

Working Memory Index

Processing Speed Index

Full Scale IQ

*Mean = 100; Standard Deviation = 15

Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale – 4th Edition (continued)

The Verbal Comprehension Index is a measure of verbal concept formation, verbal reasoning, and word knowledge.

Verbal Comprehension Subtests

Scaled Score**

Percentile Rank

Similarities

Vocabulary

Information

The Perceptual Reasoning Index is a measure of perceptual and fluid reasoning, spatial processing, and visual-motor integration.

Perceptual Reasoning Subtests

Scaled Score**

Percentile Rank

Block Design

Matrix Reasoning

Visual Puzzles

The Working Memory Index requires that an individual temporarily retain information in memory, perform some operation with it and produce a result. It also involves attention, concentration, mental control, and reasoning.

Working Memory Subtests

Scaled Score**

Percentile Rank

Digit Span

Arithmetic

(Letter Number Sequencing)***

The Processing Speed Index measure the ability to quickly and accurately scan, sequence, or discriminate simple visual information. It also measures short-term visual memory, attention, and visual-motor coordination.

Processing Speed Subtests

Scaled Score**

Percentile Rank

Symbol Search

Coding

**Mean = 10; Standard Deviation = 3

***Optional subtests not included in calculating composite IQ scores

Note: The percentile ranks are based on statistical methods and compare a person to all others of the same age in the United States. A percentile of 50 means that the person placed in the exact middle, a percentile of 75 means they did as well or better than 75 out of 100 same-aged peers, a percentile of 25 means they did as well or better than 25 percent of the people.

Note: IQ tests are based on statistical estimates of intellectual functioning, and there is a 95% chance that a person’s scores are within about six points of a statistical "true" score. Intelligence tests were designed as a tool for predicting academic and occupational performance, and do not claim to accurately measure innate intelligence. They do assess various intellectual abilities, but should not be misconstrued as a rating of absolute intellectual potential. The tests are influenced by many factors, such as the individual’s background, attention and motivation, etc.

On the WAIS-IV, Daniel placed in the Superior range for Full Scale IQ, with a standard score of 125 (Percentile = 95). His Full Scale IQ score appears to be a fairly good estimate of his overall intellectual ability. On the WAIS-IV Index scores, Daniel placed in the Very Superior range and exhibited a strength for Processing Speed. He placed in the High Average range for Verbal Comprehension and for Perceptual Reasoning, but he placed in the Low Average range and exhibited a relative weakness for Working Memory. Working Memory involves short-term attention and concentration.

There was significant scatter among Daniel’s subtest scores. On the subtests of Verbal Comprehension, however, his scores were fairly consistent. He placed in the High Average (Bright) range for verbal conceptual reasoning (similarities) and on the vocabulary subtest, which measures vocabulary in the expressive modality, and he placed in the Superior range for general fund of acquired knowledge (information).

Daniel’s scores varied from the High Average range to the Superior range on the subtests of Perceptual Reasoning. He placed in the High Average range for nonverbal abstract reasoning (matrix reasoning) and on the visual puzzles subtest, and he placed in the Superior range for nonverbal reasoning involving spatial relations (block design).

Daniel’s scores varied from the Low Average range to the High Average range on the subtests of Working Memory. He placed in the High Average range on the arithmetic subtest, which is considered to be a measure of concentration and mental control, but he placed lower on the other two subtests. Daniel placed in the Average range for immediate auditory recall of numbers (digit span) and in the Low Average range on the letter-number sequencing subtest, which involves short-term auditory attention and mental flexibility.

Daniel exhibited a strength for Processing Speed. He placed in the Very Superior range for rapid visual processing of simple stimuli (symbol search) and at the upper end of the Very Superior range for rapid visual motor coordination (coding).

In addition to the subtests of the intellectual test battery, Daniel was administered several tests of neuropsychological functioning, including the Bender Gestalt Test, Grooved Pegboard, Trail Making Tests of the Halstead-Reitan Battery, the Integrated Visual and Auditory Continuous Performance Test (the IVA-CPT), and the Test of Auditory Processing Disorders in Adolescents & Adults – 3rd Edition (SCAN-3). His visual-motor integration and visual-constructional ability, as rated by the Bender Gestalt, was in the High Average range, with a

Koppitz-2 Standard Score of 115 (Percentile = 84). On the Grooved Pegboard Test, which measures fine motor control and assesses for lateralization, Daniel placed all 25 pegs using his dominant right hand in 56 seconds, without dropping any pegs. Using his non-dominant left hand, he placed all 25 pegs in 75 seconds, without dropping any pegs. Compared to other individuals his age, Daniel placed in the Average range. He did not exhibit a lateralized hemisphere dominance. The Trail Making Tests involve executive functioning and visual planning. Daniel placed in the Perfectly Normal range for both Part A and Part B, although he did make one careless (impulsive) error on each part.

In order to assess his sustained focus and response inhibition, Daniel was administered the Integrated Visual and Auditory Continuous Performance Test (IVA-CPT). The IVA-CPT is a computer-based test specifically designed to assess for symptoms of ADHD, but particular patterns of scores are also associated with various mood disorders and neurological conditions. This test has had extensive research development and provides norms for all ages.

IVA-CPT

Daniel had no elevations on the three validity scales of the IVA-CPT, and his profile was considered valid for interpretation. He put forth and maintained a good level of effort across the 15-minute time-span of the test, but he did have an elevation on a scale that reflects “Fine Motor Hyperactivity” and is associated with problems with impulse control and attention. Daniel’s scores for Response Control and Attention are as follows.

Response Control

Auditory Modality

Standard Score*

Percentile Rank

Prudence

Consistency

Stamina

Auditory Response Control Quotient

Visual Modality

Prudence

Consistency

Stamina

Visual Response Control Quotient

Full Scale Response Control Quotient

Prudence is a measure of the ability to stop, think, and not automatically react to a foil (distracter). If a person has a low Prudence score, he or she can be described as having problems

with response inhibition and impulse control, and may also be demonstrating carelessness in responding and over-reactivity. Individuals with above average scores are described as mindful, careful, and cautious. Daniel placed in the Average range for both auditory prudence and visual prudence.

Consistency is a measure of the ability to perform in a generally reliable manner over time; it is a measure of the variability in reaction time across the time span of the test (15 minutes). A low score for consistency indicates distractibility and difficulty maintaining attention to a non-stimulating task. Daniel placed in the Extremely Impaired range for auditory consistency and in the Mildly Impaired range for visual consistency.

Stamina is a measure of one’s ability to sustain effort over time. A low score indicates susceptibility to fatigue, limited attentional energy, and difficulty maintaining mental processing speed; a high score indicates attentional endurance, fortitude, and vigor. Daniel placed in the Superior range for auditory stamina and in the Very Superior range for visual stamina.

Overall, Daniel placed in the Slightly Impaired range for Auditory Response Control and in the Average range for both Visual Response Control and Full Scale Response Control. Quotient scores below 80 are considered indicative of a clinically significant weakness, and Daniel placed above that cut-off score.

Attention

Auditory Modality

Standard Score*

Percentile Rank

Vigilance

Focus

Speed

Auditory Attention Quotient

Visual Modality

Vigilance

Focus

Speed

Visual Attention Quotient

Full Scale Attention Quotient

Sustained Auditory Attention Quotient

Sustained Visual Attention Quotient

Neuropsychological Assessment

Daniel  

Vigilance is a measure of one’s ability to remain on-task. A low vigilance score indicates problems with discriminatory attention and can also be caused by low arousal, negligence, or indifference. Daniel placed in the Average range for both auditory vigilance and visual vigilance.

Focus is a measure of one’s ability to maintain consistent attention and response time to target stimuli. A significant amount of variability in focus indicates problems with screening-out external or internal distracters. Daniel placed in the Severely Impaired range for auditory focus and in the Moderately Impaired range for visual focus.

The Speed Index is a measure of mental processing speed. Daniel placed in the High Average range for auditory processing speed and at the cut-off score between the Average and High Average range for visual processing speed.

Overall, Daniel placed in the Slightly Impaired range for Auditory Attention and in the Average range for both Visual Attention and Full Scale Attention. His Sustained Auditory Attention Quotient was in the Average range, and he placed in the High Average range for the Sustained Visual Attention Quotient.

The publisher of the IVA-CPT provides decision rules for making a diagnosis of ADHD. Daniel’s impaired scores for auditory and visual consistency, his impaired scores for auditory and visual focus, and his elevation for fine motor hyperactivity, all are indicative of weaknesses for sustained focus and concentration. In addition, there is a family history of ADHD, he reports a history of behavioral symptoms of ADHD, and his behavior during the testing was consistent with a diagnosis of ADHD. As such, Daniel was given a diagnosis of ADHD.

The symptoms of an attentional disorder can sometimes mask an underlying deficit in central auditory processing. In order to evaluate that possibility, Daniel was administered the Test of Auditory Processing Disorders in Adolescents & Adults – 3rd Edition (SCAN-3). He failed one initial screening exercises, and additional diagnostic tests were administered. His scores follow.

SCAN-3

Scoring Summary

Scaled Scores*

Percentile Rank

Auditory Figure Ground

Filtered Words

Competing Words-Directed Ear

Competing Sentences

(Competing Words-Free Recall)***

7***

Standard Score**

Percentile Rank

SCAN-3 Composite

*Mean = 10; Standard Deviation = 3 **Mean = 100; Standard Deviation = 15

***Optional subtests not used in computing the SCAN-3 Composite score

Daniel placed in the Normal range on the auditory figure-ground subtest, in which two lists of undistorted words recorded in the presence of multi-talker speech babble noise are filtered through headphones. The response is scored as correct if the whole word is repeated accurately. He also placed in the Normal range on the filtered words subtest on the competing words-directed ear subtest. On the filtered words subtest, two lists of twenty monosyllabic words are filtered through headphones, and the individual’s response is scored as correct if the word is repeated accurately. The competing words-directed ear subtest consists of two lists of fifteen monosyllabic word pairs that are presented to the right and left ears simultaneously; credit is given for each word accurately repeated. For the competing sentences subtest pairs of sentences that are unrelated in topic are presented to the right and left ears simultaneously, and the individual is instructed to direct his or her attention to the sentence presented in one ear for the first part of the test and then the other ear for the second part of the test. Daniel also placed in the Normal range on this subtest, as well as on the competing words-free recall subtest. Competing words-free recall is similar to competing words-directed ear; however it is used both for screening and as a supplementary measure. Overall, Daniel’s SCAN-3 Composite score was in the Normal range. His auditory processing appears to be intact.

Personality and Emotional Functioning:

Daniel’s psychological and emotional functioning was assessed using symptom checklists, objective personality tests, and the information obtained from the history, clinical interview, and behavioral observations during testing.

Daniel completed the Adult Self-Assessment Inventory, which is a checklist of problem-statements in various areas of functioning. He endorsed all the problem-statements involving concentration and impulsivity and several involving restlessness and organization. All of these areas are associated with a diagnosis of ADHD, and some of the items Daniel endorsed included:

“I have trouble organizing my work.” “I have trouble concentrating on one thing at a time.” “I get distracted easily.” “I lose my place when I am reading.” “I cannot sit still for very long.” “I say things without thinking.” “I do things on impulse.” “A lot of things irritate me.” In spite of his history of academic achievement, Daniel endorsed all the problem-statements involving self-confidence and a number involving learning. Some of these included: “I act okay on the outside but inside I am unsure of myself.” “I have trouble making decisions.” “I don’t take credit for my accomplishments.” “I don’t like myself.” “I have trouble with reading and spelling.” “It takes a lot of effort to get my work done.” Daniel also endorsed a couple of items indicative of anxiety: “I get nervous.” “I am an anxious person.” “I’m easily upset.” “A lot of things scare me even if I wouldn’t admit it to others.”

The Self-Assessment Inventory also has a section that assesses one’s strengths and Daniel endorsed many items. Some of the strengths he identified included: “I can do a lot when I put my mind to it.” “I have a good head on my shoulders.” “People think I’m a pretty good person.”

“I get along well with others.” “I make friends easily.” When asked about other personal strengths Daniel described himself as, “funny, caring, nice, hardworking, sociable, compassionate and passionate, and kind of smart maybe.”

Daniel completed ADHD Rating Scales to assess his current symptoms and childhood symptoms. He endorsed a low but significant number of childhood symptoms of ADHD and a significant number of moderate to severe ADHD symptoms as an adult. His responses were consistent with his behavior during the testing and are consistent with the behaviors common in individuals who have ADHD.

Daniel completed the Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI). His overall score was in the Mild range for anxiety. He indicated that he has some difficulty relaxing and has fears about “the worst thing happening”.

Daniel was administered an objective personality test, the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory – 2nd Edition (MMPI-2). The results of the validity scales indicate that he was adequately expressive, and his overall profile was considered valid for interpretation. On the Basic Clinical Scales, Daniel had a slight elevation on a scale associated with feelings of ineffectiveness and unusual sensory experiences. The Harris-Lingoes subscales provide additional information about elevations on the Basic Clinical Scales, and Daniel had an elevation for mental dullness. On the Content and Supplementary Scales, he did not have any significant elevations. Overall, Daniel’s profile on the MMPI-2 suggests that he has some mild anxiety that is associated with feelings of ineffectiveness and feelings of self-doubt. He also is reporting having problems with his cognitive functioning, such as with memory and concentration.

Daniel was also administered a second objective test, the Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory – 3rd Edition (MCMI-III). The results of the Validity scales were within the normal limits, and his profile was considered valid for interpretation. Among the scales that asses for Clinical Syndromes, Daniel had a significant elevation for Anxiety and a slight elevation for Hypomania. On scales that assess for Clinical Personality patterns, he had elevations for Narcissistic and Antisocial personality traits – although these results are at least partially attributable to his age and station in life. Individuals who obtain these results on the MCMI-III tend to be charming but also may present as somewhat arrogant, at times. It appears that Daniel may attempt to maintain an image of cool strength and superiority in which self-reliance and sentimentality are important to him. In addition, the results suggest that Daniel may be experiencing a higher level of anxiety than most people, including various physical symptoms of anxiety and stress, such as muscular tightness, headaches, problems with concentration, etc. Overall, Daniel’s profile on the MCMI-III is suggestive of an anxiety disorder and possible maladaptive personality traits. It is the impression of this psychologist, though, that he does not meet criteria for the diagnosis of a personality disorder.

Summary and Response to Special Issues:

Daniel is a twenty-year-old man who was referred for the current assessment to evaluate his functioning in order to assist with differential diagnosis and to provide recommendations for treatment and educational planning. His Full Scale IQ score of the WAIS-IV was in the Superior range and appears to be a fairly good estimate of his overall intellectual ability. Daniel exhibited strengths for both verbal and nonverbal reasoning, as well as for processing speed and short-term visual memory. Consistent weaknesses emerged for sustained focus and concentration, and it appears that Daniel warrants a diagnosis of ADHD. Overall, the tests of personality and emotional functioning were indicative of anxiety and feelings of ineffectiveness. Daniel appears to have some feelings of self-doubt, for which he may attempt to compensate by overly-focusing on his strengths. He could benefit from academic modifications and accommodations, and he appears to be a good candidate for psychotherapy.

Recommendations:

1. Because Daniel’s ADHD symptoms and anxiety appear to be interfering with his functioning, he might qualify for academic modifications and accommodations. He should contact the Office for Students with Disabilities in order to learn about his eligibility and the services that are available.

1. Daniel might also benefit from individual counseling because of his considerable anxiety. He has some underlying feelings of insecurity and therapy could to reduce his stress and increase his coping skills.

1. The following are suggestions that might be useful for Daniel in his efforts to manage his symptoms in school and when studying:

1. Audio-taping lectures. This should allow him to focus on the lecture’s main points without becoming overly-concerned about taking copious notes. To use this procedure efficiently, Daniel should use a tape recorder with a counter, reset the counter to "0" before each lecture, and then record the counter number in his notes when he feels confused or is aware that his notes are incomplete.

1. Taking frequent notes on assigned reading. The use of detailed but limited notes regarding the readings should help Daniel minimize the amount of re-reading he has to do. He could also take notes verbally by speaking his notes into a tape recorder.

1. Breaking tasks into smaller portions. Daniel should set specific, reasonable goals that involve frequent breaks and behavioral habits to maximize his focus (e.g., reading for 20 minutes and then taking a five minute break before returning to his studies).

1. Frequently reviewing his notes. If he was to become more skilled at taking notes, Daniel could decrease his test and class preparation time by reviewing his notes on a daily basis, rather than re-reading his textbooks.

1. Choosing an appropriate setting for studying. Daniel’s ability to concentrate and manage his anxiety should improve if he was able to find a quiet environment with few distractions that feels soothing and comfortable.

1. Developing an organizational strategy. Daily planners are available and could be useful to Daniel. If he is able to organize and plan each day in advance and have an easily accessible reminder of his appointments and commitments, he is more likely to move consistently towards his goals.

1. Daniel should focus on developing and maintaining a well-balanced lifestyle. He needs to designate time for studying, socializing, exercising, reading, and renewing.

Diagnostic Impression (DSM-IV):

Axis I.

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Unspecified Type

Anxiety Disorder Not Otherwise Specified

Axis II.

Deferred

Axis III.

Deferred to physician; no contributing physical problems reported

Axis IV.

Psychosocial Stressors:  College adjustment

Axis V.

Global Assessment of Functioning: 80 (Current)

I have also done a complete QEEG brain mapping eval with comparison to reference normatives databases, report and impression that i could post

#10 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:53 AM

I'm going to see another psychologist/psychiatrist and see what they recommend. My CBD order arrived earlier this week and have been using it. I don't think its really what I'm looking for but it does have a nice calming effect. I haven't really noticed any difference in terms of my cognition although I do notice my dreams to be slightly more vivid. The amount of CBD I have been taking has been relatively low so perhaps I need to intake more to see a more significant difference. 

#11 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

may try Centrophenoxine/ galantamine

#12 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

I tried Centrophenoxine and didn't really notice anything. May be slightly similar to piracetam but I don't know.

#13 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

Just received a bottle of Omniscienti which has:

4mg Galantamine

10mg Coluracetam

150mg Centrophenoxine

took 1 capsule right now at 12:50

#14 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:10 AM

You can search the forum for an abundance of information about ADD/ADHD supplements/medication. To be honest nootropics aim to foster more fluency which you have no problems with, nootropics won't improve working memory. The fallacy of such thinking is that most neurotypicals have great working memory but poor abstract thinking, hence they are more interested in having what you already have. What you need are direct stimulants and increase of glucose/oxygen supply to your frontal lobe.

Also because of the adaptive nature of the brain you will never experience the permamanent wired state of elite neurotypicals with current technology.

The truth about most neurotypical skills? Slightly overrated. Almost everyone on this planet has decent cognitive parameters, the benchmarks of these tests are defined by the norm. It does not quantify abstract thinking, pattern recognition and a myriad of other brain abilities that contribute to creativity and problem solving. The fact that a lot of people who do really well in academia are unimaginative stupid people should tell you that much.

#15 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:10 AM

So with Omniscienti, did not notice, or barely noticed any positive effects on my cognition. Used it for about a week. Was actually even started to have negative side effects; i was having trouble gripping in my left hand, a nerve problem? It may or may have not attributed to it, but I cannot be sure, and I was not feeling any benefit so i stopped usage. Asked for a refund from Nutraplanet but they denied. Overall, not recommened especially for the price.

Appreciate the response Major Legend. I actually do think I have problem with fluency, espcially spoken/verbal fluency. My written ability seems pretty okay however. Seeing the doctor tomorrow, so I'm going to see what he has to say.

Here's 2 thread I made 4 years ago that originally state my condition.. if anyone is interested in reading.

http://www.longecity...ing-and-buying/

http://www.longecity...do-add-related/

#16 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

Have you tried DRI like ritalin or cocaine? People that don't respond to amphetamines usually respond to DRI's and vice versa, they have very different actual effects.

Memantine is a long shot (like literally at least you need to titrate it for months) but may be worth it if DRI's don't do anything.

ADHD and Autism diagnosis is too general, you need to kind of figure out whether your cognitive issues are restricted to working memory or not. I would suggest downloading like the Peak or Elevate brain app and seeing if you fail really badly at any of the tasks, it might help you identify deficient areas outside of doing a full EEG.

(When you are watching a movie, their dialougue becomes hard to track) - since ADHD is a deficit of executive function not neccesarily the ability to follow something once focused, I assume this is a hint that your problem might be deeper than that.

Also lack of verbal fluency is not indicative of cognitive function necessarily, speaking well is often more of a result of being anxiety free, in a way having too much "thought" makes speaking hard for some, its also more to do with raw brain speed like reactive sports rather than actually to do strictly with cognition. In that sense too much anxiety can often impair cognitive function.

Edited by Major Legend, 19 November 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#17 strider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:03 AM

No, I have not; that is interested though. I may have to try them. 

Well, i think its fair to say I do have wm problems as my working memory subtests results showed some impairment; 

Working Memory Subtests

Scaled Score**

Percentile Rank

Digit Span

Arithmetic

(Letter Number Sequencing)***

I did have a QEEG done; I was going to do neurofeedback but it was just too expensive at the time. I can't really remember the results and I am not really trained to intepret them but here's part of the results. 

HbsAfpi.jpg

75Pk6OA.jpg

6cGMyjv.jpg

I am now in a different city and would thus have to find another practioner if I were to go with this route. But even if I could i think it would be too expensive atm and insurance would not cover..

I believe anxiety may be playing a huge role. In fact, the psychiatrist I saw today suggested I take an SSRI Lexapro + therapy to first treat anxiety/depression to see if that is the root of my add, before trying a stimulant. Not sure if I should go down the route of an SSRI though. 

I've been researching nsi-189 and it seems very promising , and tht has it relatively cheap. Would it hurt to give this compound a try? Is tht a good source?

#18 Knowledge Is Powre

• 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

Bump for updates, how are you doing strider?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

This works for older people too. Please check it out for help in the right direction.

http://www.longecity...ress-knowledge/

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: add, autism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users