Animal Pak, Folic Acid & MTHFR c677t

mthfr animal pak folic acid

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NeuroGeneration

• 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:11 PM

I love Animal Pak, but I've come to learn that I have a homozygous mutation in my MTHFR c677t gene (up to 60% of people have a hetero or homozygous mutation in this gene), which leads to impaired methylation. 

Animal Pak contains inactive forms of B vitamins – namely, folic acid (400mcg) and B12 (cyanocobalamin, though it's also combined with the active methylcobalamin form).

Does anybody have any opinion on this and the level or risk? I love the convenience of the Animal Pak, but am concerned about the prospect for folic acid to build up as a toxin in my organs, and possibly lead to cancer. How real is this risk, versus hype? Should I avoid the Animal Pak all together? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by NeuroGeneration, 28 October 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#2 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:42 AM

200 mcg is the largest dose of synthetic folic acid that you can expect to fully metabolize, regardless of MTHFR polymorphism. (The relevant enzyme is DHFR.)

MTHFR 677 C->T can be treated with vitamin B2. They used 1.6 mg, but you can absorb about 25 mg if you want to experiment with higher doses.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 NeuroGeneration

• Topic Starter
  • 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:26 AM

Yes, 23andMe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mthfr, animal pak, folic acid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users