theanine l-theanine caffeine coffee tea green tea green green teas

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greensky7

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

Hey guys,

I like coffee, green tea, caffeine, and theanine.  I'm here to ask about Green Tea.  I usually just buy Green Tea from my local super market.  What about you guys?  Is there higher quality green tea out there?  A green tea where you actually notice a difference in how you feel when you take it?

Green

#2 orion602

• 83 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

From retail sold teas here, my favourite is Ahmad Tea green (not in teabacks) and gunpowder. I dont like any artificial flavors and colorings.

Or any teashops' green tea leaves (they usualy offer lots of blends and types including whole leaves, one has to try many of them to compare their quality :) Usualy substantialy higher price then commonly sold teas in supermarkets.

Edited by orion602, 30 October 2014 - 09:05 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:45 PM

in general, loose leaf teas is going to be of a higher quality than the finely milled tea found in tea bags.

following that, you would probably want to look for a green tea grown in japan, as japanese soil has a far lower fluoride content than chinese soil, and so this directly correlates to a reduction in the fluoride you will be ingesting.

and lastly, a bit less important note, you would want to choose an organic tea if possible.

As far as where the research stands, its generally accepted that sencha green tea has the highest content of egcg, and would therefore have the most beneficial impact on your health

• Informative x 1

#4 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

See the post by Chip: http://www.teachat.c...opic.php?t=9690. His recommendations are mine, Ocha and Zencha. Zencha is a little more user-friendly, but the teas are amazing, I'd be surprised if you managed to find even one you didn't love the flavor and aroma of.

If you want something with a discernibly unique psychoactive effect, consider shade-grown green gyokuro or white baihao yinzhen tea, both reputed to have high levels of amino acids (ie. theanine [20mg/g]). Compared with shade grown gyokuro, most sun grown greens (the commonest longjing and bancha) will have substantially less theanine (5mg/g vs 20), comparable caffeine (30mg/g), but far more antioxidants (250mg/g vs 150) giving a uniform psychotropic effect: a jittery not very relaxing effect, the classic green tea effect. So although cheap teabags will taste worse and have more fluoride when compared with pricier loose-leafs, I suspect the psychoactive profile will not discernibly vary across brands, as caffeine with little theanine tends to make you alert and jittery, the classic green tea  effect [most teabags are made with shake leftover from bancha or sencha, unlikely you'll get gyokuro or silver needle in a teabag]. Sencha, although healthy, isn't very tasty or relaxing, and gyokuro, tho tasty and relaxing, is lower in antioxidants than the cheaper sencha! What do you want a health-promoting tea with polyphenols (sencha) or a psychedelic tea with theanine (gyokuro)?

If you want a tea with a different feel, try gyokuro or baihao yinzhen, both are higher in theanine and more relaxing than your average green or black. Or perhaps you should just drink sencha, knowing it's good, not paying attention to the psychoactive effects. Despite its astringent taste and lack of ample theanine, sencha is loaded with antioxidants, third in teas only to matcha and hibiscus in antioxidant capacity, making it a healthy and affordable lifestyle choice, even if it feels like a worthless placebo. Or if you like the jitters (I personally don't), go with something you can brew longer, oolong, blacks or pu-erhs, you'll extract more caffeine.

So yes, there are countless teas out there which will blow away your supermarket teabags, in terms of flavor, health, and even psychoactivity. Order some loose leaf, if you don't care for the taste, get a new supplier, if you still don't care for the taste, accept that tea isn't your cup of tea.

Edited by dasheenster, 25 November 2014 - 06:23 PM.

• Agree x 1

#5 cyberknight

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

I usually switch between gyokuro, sencha and matcha. Gyokuro and sencha as my "everyday" teas, matcha for days when I work from home or have day off. Matcha is a bit too much of a hassle to prepare in the office but also a bit too heavy on my stomach to drink as the first thing in the morning ;)

Preparing matcha is a bit like meditation, so it might also have some placebo-like effect on me I guess.

I'm getting the teas either from a shop in Japan or an importer here in Switzerland, although the preference for japanese teas is also a personal thing.

In regards to taste, even a "normal" sencha will taste much better (IMHO) than your average super market teabag green tea - if it is properly prepared (not too hot, don't let it steep too long).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

Remember you need to leave it for 10 minutes for all the good stuff to be deposited into the water. Never buy bags, some producers add sugar and other things and they do not mention this at all on the packaging.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: theanine, l-theanine, caffeine, coffee, tea, green tea, green, green teas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users